Reds' Chief Executive Wants More Fans Through Gates

Wednesday November 13 2013

Ben Mansford Ben Mansford

BARNSLEY Football Club's chief executive wants to attract 8,000 lapsed fans back to Oakwell.

Ben Mansford will make a series of visits to pubs across the borough to engage with 'armchair fans', while the club is asking supporters to vote for a new crest as part of the 'brand refresh' Mansford wants to implement.

The former football agent, who replaced Don Rowing at Oakwell in the summer, said the club could increase its budget if regular attendances were higher.

He said: "When I first started looking at average attendances I saw that they were about 18,000 in the season after relegation from the Premier League, whereas now they're around the 10,000 mark.

"For the vast majority of people they might have stopped attending for economic reasons but I want to get out and about in town and be truly visible, firstly to our current supporters to thank them for staying with us but also to the 8,000 or so who have stopped coming.

"There are many armchair fans outside of the city centre and they might occasionally check the club's website. I want to get into their environment and they might explain to me why they've fallen out with Barnsley Football Club.

"To remain competitive in the Championship, we need to grow our attendances. By getting out into the town and talking to people, I hope that we can bring a few back."

Reply Posted by Their nets though on Wednesday November 13 2013 at 17:04
Reds' Fans Wants More Balls Into Nets

Reply Posted by reds or dreds on Wednesday November 13 2013 at 18:27
the Barnsley supporters want to get a life and support a winning side,,come on ,move on to the blades...

Reply Posted by blunts? on Thursday November 14 2013 at 08:37
Why would we support the blunts? Your in the funny league hahahahaah. Stay down there dee daa

Reply Posted by David on Wednesday November 13 2013 at 18:07
He has got a job on his hands. Especially since his Manager doesn't believe that winning games will bring in more supporters. That obviously explains why the results have been so bad.

Reply Posted by AI on Wednesday November 13 2013 at 18:22
They never come and see me when I am bad-why would I go see them?
If tickets were a £1 with a free pie chucked in I would still not go

Reply Posted by hally1297 on Wednesday November 13 2013 at 20:49
Reduce season ticket and gate prices then. I paid just short of £400 the last 2 seasons. Get kids in for a couple of quid with every paying adult.

Reply Posted by STEVEO on Thursday November 14 2013 at 07:05
Haven't been to Oakwell (Mecca) for over ten years as it is far too expensive these days.

Get a defence worthy of playing in the championship, reduce your vastly inflated prices then you may get some more bums on seats!

Reply Posted by deano on Thursday November 14 2013 at 08:50
getting bums on seats .means getting a few good players. am a season ticket holder for yrs and beleave me they are shocking.they bought all these players in .and tell mi 1 gooden.?.get shut off them and buy 1 good player ie matty fryer and pay is wages cos that wot up with these player Barnsley f.c will not pay them.same all bfc do it on cheap.mvoto wot a laught lol

Reply Posted by LOL on Thursday November 14 2013 at 08:53
COULD NOT PAY ME TO GO ,FREE LIMO FREE FOOD AND DRINK AND FOR WHAT. TO WATCH ELEVEN REMPLOY LOOK-ALIKES RUNNING AFTER A BALL,WITH NO INTENTION OF SCORING.

Reply Posted by christine kilkenny on Friday November 15 2013 at 08:46
LOL..true words spoken by a great man..

Reply Posted by Sid on Friday November 15 2013 at 08:42
hats off to you lol could not have put it better mate.

Reply Posted by Em on Tuesday November 19 2013 at 13:08
I would love to go watch my town play but no way will I watch them lose at them ticket prices! Lower ticket prices would lead to more bums on seats and would probably make more than they do now.