Barnsley Woman's Inquest Resumes

Thursday November 7 2013

Barnsley Hospital Barnsley Hospital

A BARNSLEY woman bled to death after a surgeon accidentally cut an artery.

The inquest into 42-year-old Andrea Green's death has resumed.

Consultant surgeon Hany Ismaiel accidentally cut an artery and was among a group of doctors called a 'cancer in the system' by their boss, the inquest heard.

Ms Green had started suffering from back pain in August 2009. The pain was so bad that she was bedridden for two weeks despite being prescribed with painkillers by her GP on numerous occasions.

She was advised that the pain could return if the operation was not carried out.

When her sister Janette Allatt, 56, visited her in hospital in the evening after the operation, she found her very pale and complaining of stomach pain.

Nurses discovered she had very low blood pressure and because she was in pain, administered medication to relieve it.

At 2am the following morning, Miss Green's father received a call from the hospital informing them that she was seriously ill.

To their horror, by the time her family arrived at the hospital, she had died.

Her death came just weeks after consultants in the orthopaedic department at Barnsley Hospital warned management of 'grave risks' to patient safety because of staffing.

Miss Green’s inquest was halted last year when coroner Chris Dorries asked police to investigate following emergence of the rift.

A file was sent to the CPS to examine evidence of corporate manslaughter, but no charges were brought.

The resumed inquest is expected to last for three weeks.

Reply Posted by bdgh on Thursday November 7 2013 at 10:14
Barnsley hospital are rubbish!! there is always something bad with them....condolences to the family xx

Reply Posted by Gary on Thursday November 7 2013 at 10:24
Barnsley hospitals negligence killed my mother and crippled my father and in both cases closed ranks and covered up their mistakes, the surgeon who crippled my dad is still operating and has crippled many others and ruined lots of lives, why are these butchers allowed to carry on?? If I injured anyone I'd be arrested and charged!!

Reply Posted by Liz on Saturday March 25 2017 at 20:08
Hi gary, i was 'treated' by barnsley for a foot dislocation in 10/2011. They managed to miss five fractures in my sixe five foot just because they were on the opposite side to the dislocation and i have had the same expericnes as you with them closing ranks and covering up ...
So I really would love to hear your story in more detail? Please?

Regards
Liz

Reply Posted by Kelley on Thursday November 7 2013 at 10:31
I would only have an operation at Sheffield I would rather suffer than have it at Barnsley. I wouldn't let my children have anything done at Barnsley hospital either.

Reply Posted by Collet on Thursday November 7 2013 at 10:34
Have had lots of treatment at Barnsley Hospital and have nothing but praise for it,A terrible tragedy what happend to the lady and whatever whent wrong should be put right,but don't throwe all the good apples out because you find a bad one in the baskit.my sympathy to all her Family.

Reply Posted by Gail on Thursday November 7 2013 at 10:38
for every negative there is always a positive! If not for the doctors in A & E I for 1would not be here today. So don't forget all the good they do.

Reply Posted by becki on Thursday November 7 2013 at 10:40
Its discusting they did the same t my grandad 14 years ago n they didnt tell us they did it said he would be ok!! The hospital is a death trap u go in with a little illness and come out worse!

Reply Posted by Liz on Saturday March 25 2017 at 20:09
So I really would love to hear your story in more detail? Please?

Regards
Liz

Reply Posted by keith on Thursday November 7 2013 at 10:53
Both my mother and mother-in-law were admitted with trivial things, neither of them came out. Lots of cover ups occurred in both cases.

Reply Posted by Liz on Saturday March 25 2017 at 20:13
Sorry keith, i know i am posting the same message but i am really keen to share my story and hear yours ...

I was 'treated' by barnsley for a foot dislocation in 10/2011. They managed to miss five fractures in my size five foot just because they were on the opposite side to the dislocation and i have had the same expericnes as you with them closing ranks and covering up ...
So I really would love to hear your story in more detail? Please?

Regards
Liz

Reply Posted by ... on Thursday November 7 2013 at 11:00
This is a tragic incident and the Surgeon involved should absolutely be held responsible.
However, what gets me is how many people state this hospital is better than that one, Barnsley is a death trap etc etc
There are deaths at every hospital, they are tragic and I am not dismissing this, but for as many inquests as Barnsley have, so too do Sheffield.
Barnsley is a good hospital, it performs well in the league tables and offers a high level of care to it's patients. We should all be grateful that it is here in our town. Of course there are specialist hospitals and if this care is needed you will be referred meaning that you do get the best possible care.
The hospital is not a death trap, of course it is a place that noone wants to be and the nature of what goes on there is that tragedies do happen. I have experienced this myself - not at Barnsley I may add, but this was the fault of one man - not the hospital as a whole. For every tragedy there are thousands of successes. I appreciate that this does not make it easier for those that suffer and as I say, those involved in such things should be held to account, but the hospital is not to blame, the individual is.
I know from personal experience it is hard to be level headed it is when emotions are involved and this is a 100% natural but at the end of the day we have a Good hospital on our doorstep.
If you chose not to use it then this is your right and we are lucky to have Sheffield and Leeds on our doorsteps but they have inquests going on all the time too - that's just how it is, they try to save lives and sometimes fail :-(, if it was easy we would all be Doctors!

Reply Posted by jason on Thursday November 7 2013 at 11:08
Sorry but you are simply wrong.....I have first hand experience of this doctor.....it was 10 years ago......BDGH know the Doctors history and that he has been successfully sued for negligence. BDGH continued to employ him despite his history.

Reply Posted by Gary on Thursday November 7 2013 at 13:11
I heard he was struck off, but have recently found out he was working again, and dealing with a friend, and I've told them not to let this butcher touch them, he crippled my father, he has Ruined his life, a once active and handy man can't do all the things he once enjoyed and cannot make a claim as the evidence, notes, scans and X-rays were all destroyed! He should be jailed for ABH and Manslaughter.

Reply Posted by Mandy Davies on Thursday November 7 2013 at 11:18
This is disgraceful. Condolences to all family. Im affraid I have nothing good to say about BDGH. My husband died almost 2yrs ago through negligence. Had several things go wrong for us as a family there. Won't go there for surgery. Never in a million yrs.

Reply Posted by Dale hinkles on Thursday November 7 2013 at 12:19
Corperate murder full stop. Condolences to the family totally tragic story

Reply Posted by Collet on Thursday November 7 2013 at 12:32
Never heard as much crap in my life,if Barnsley was that bad they would have closed it down years ago,hope all the people that have got a grouse about it use a different hospital one that doesn't make mistakes, when you find one tell us all about it !

Reply Posted by Gary on Thursday November 7 2013 at 13:15
This butcher crippled my father, he has Ruined his life, a once active and handy man can't do all the things he once enjoyed and cannot make a claim as the evidence, notes, scans and X-rays were all destroyed! He has also crippled several other people and caused problems and pain and suffering to many, everytime Barnsley hospital covers it up and closes ranks, the medical upper ranks all cover each others backs, this will all come out eventually, how many lives will be ruined before it does???

Reply Posted by Dave on Thursday November 7 2013 at 14:34
Condolences to the family on this matter but i was rushed into barnsley with meningitus and if it wasnt for the care i recieved would not be writing this comment so im thankfull there will always be mistakes made in life,after all we are human,but still soneone should pay for this tragedy not hide and blame otherthings

Reply Posted by Ann on Thursday November 7 2013 at 15:06
Sheffield has just as many incidents my father aspirated during an operation and died four days later in intensive care even though they knew he felt sick and they even told us what they where going to do to prevent it but yet it happened he came and apologised what is an apology for a loss of a parent ....

Reply Posted by Lottie Davis-Browne on Thursday November 7 2013 at 15:42
Holy crap how awful and very scary - I have had operations in the orthopaedic department at Barnsley Hospital myself but now have moved down South but now I have read this I will have no future operations at Barnsley Hospital.

Reply Posted by jason on Thursday November 7 2013 at 15:44
I appreciate peoples individual experiences good and bad but his own boss described him as a 'cancer in the system', this so called doctor has a history of medical negligence cases against him, he has failed in his duty several times and has been held accountable (i know this from personal experience), he is a liability and that is from his boss, but BDGH still employ him????? This was avoidable, and BDGH are as much to blame, did you know he is not a specialist in back surgery? His specializes in shoulder surgery. My heart goes out to the family. The fact this is not the first time indicates the CPS should have taken up the case.

Reply Posted by Liz on Saturday March 25 2017 at 20:14
Hi and Sorry jason , i know i am posting the same message but i am really keen to share my story and hear yours ...

I was 'treated' by barnsley for a foot dislocation in 10/2011. They managed to miss five fractures in my size five foot just because they were on the opposite side of the foot to the dislocation and i have had the same experiences as you with them closing ranks and covering up ...
So I really would love to hear your story in more detail? Please?

Regards
Liz

Reply Posted by Mallatt on Thursday November 7 2013 at 17:35
I pray to god my family get the justice they deserve for this. Bdgh should be ashamed! I hope it haunts the b*stard for the rest if his life.

Reply Posted by Donna on Thursday November 7 2013 at 18:42
I made a formal complaint after an elderly patient was left 30 mins asking for the toilet, she began to cry as she wet herself. Staff then said she had to wait for two staff to change the sheets, leaving her an additional 40 in her urine. The lady asked for a phone said she couldn't dial the numbers, the care assistant riddilculed her and said she could hold a cig she can dial a number. Care assistant the. Put £5 in a non refundable phone dialed number and left the woman. She was on the phone for less than a minute. She was very upset. The next day she suffered heart failure and had a heart attack then got rushed to itu. I couldn't believe she recieved such poor care and if that was my mum and it was the last day of her life I would have been devastated. As I didn't know the woman or her family I still felt my duty to report it. They asked to to see the ward sister for an informal meeting. I said no. Would never step foot back in that hospital ever ever again.

Reply Posted by Smurfet on Thursday November 7 2013 at 20:14
The hospital offers health care to a population of over 250000 people. They offer support to those who need it with out question. Their A & E department saves lives on a daily if not hourly basis, they operate on thousands of people each year improving the lives of many. We would be wrong not to expect some failure to prolong life and there to be one human error ( we are none of us perfect). What many like to ignore is the thousands of surgeries that works, the thousands who are helped. We all know that any procedure comes with risks as does crossing the road so lets keep this real. I wonder if all those who are pulling Barnsley hospital down would drive passed its A&E doors or insist on going to Sheffield in an emergency. I think not

Reply Posted by Sasha on Friday November 8 2013 at 07:38
I know someone else this happened to and it was just meant to be a simple operation that then lead to death. What the hell are they using playdo scissors just hacking at peoples insides this is disgusting something needs to be done

Reply Posted by Anon nurse on Friday November 8 2013 at 07:55
I was a student nurse and am now a registered nurse at BDGH. I could write a book about some of the staff working there 'caring' for and 'treating'patients. Nothing surprising to hear a doctor or nurse saying a patient stinks, saying they are thick, demented, senile......and laughing. Finishing their cuppa before cleaning a patient in similar as mentioned above situations. Come on, you know what you're entering into when you start your degree! I am so angry at work sometimes I could scream but management are pretty well versed in the art of brushing things under the carpet!!

Reply Posted by Anon on Friday November 8 2013 at 08:19
I'm not disagreeing with the inquest, or siding with the doctor, but people slating the hospital on a whole is ridiculous... There is never any good press for the place, everyone only ever hears bad things!
Consider this for a second, how often do you moan to friends and family about your wife/husband and how often do you tell them how amazing and fantastic they've been?
Stop being so narrow minded... Barnsley Hospital is an NHS Foundation Trust for a start!

Reply Posted by L on Friday November 8 2013 at 08:24
This was a case of gross negligence on staffs part as well as this article didn't state they never kept checking her blood pressure periodically. The surgeon is not the only one to blame the nurses on that ward should be reported to the NMC and have a review as their fitness to practise was obviously impaired! RIP auntie Andrea

Reply Posted by Matthew on Friday November 8 2013 at 09:20
Totaly agree with Gary.. This hospital is dangerous! It needs seriously looking at.. They are responsible for my step mothers death.. We had a claim going but after she died it just faded and eventually got closed.. No justice for her death!! I went there with a severe cut on my thumb.. The nurse in A&E said I'd have to see a doctor and would be waiting up to 3 hours.. When I self discharged myself I asked if they could dress my thumb so could return the morning after, they just gave me a little plaster and said they couldn't dress it as I was self discharging myself. Went to pinderfields the next day. 5 minutes.. Straight in.. Patched up.. Sent on my way. I will never go to Barnsley hospital nor will I let any relatives !

Reply Posted by ..... on Friday November 8 2013 at 10:35
You all slag Barnsley hospital off when something goes wrong but sit back and think how many times something as gone right?????...... Did they get a thank you???? No. Well to all you that slag it off, why don't you all pay private for your treatment and see if you get a better service!!! Ungrateful selfish ppl!!!

Reply Posted by Gail on Friday November 8 2013 at 16:44
Don't know who you are . But wonder if you would have the same view if it happened to one of your family members tosser

Reply Posted by Helen on Friday November 8 2013 at 10:52
......@ "When things go right" That is what there get paid for.Going into Hospital isn,t a Lottery.Grow a backbone and face facts,I WOULDN.T LET MY DOG GO IN THERE. I am a former patient.And yes I go to another Hospital because the staff are bone idle..

Reply Posted by Amy on Friday November 8 2013 at 13:17
Absolutely Helen !Its a disgrace ive just lost my Nanan due to there utter neglegence theres a huge lack of communication and care is at the bare minium standards, simple procedures are being over looked resulting in patients loosing their lives we too as a family have an on going inquest due to their catalogue of errors whilst my nanan was in there care the pain and maddness is still very raw after loosing her so unnecessarily.

Reply Posted by Julie on Friday November 8 2013 at 23:09
Experience @ BDGH
1) Nan was in hospital, the lad across from her pulled out her drip and threw it on the floor. I called for the nurse who shouted at the lady in front of the other patients and left the blood stain on the floor.
2) I was in hospital on IV antibiotics for 9 days and in the end begged to be transferred to a different hospital as m room was opposite the sluice room and I could see the nurses going in with full commodes and coming straight out without washing their hands or changing their aprons. The final straw was when a nurse sneezed on her hands then went straight for my drip to change it without even washing her hands.
3) Mum was in with kidney pains and picked up an infection in her arm from the drip. The nurse threw a USED tube of cream at her and told her to 'get it put on her arm'. when I complained the staff nurse closed ranks and accused mum of having dementia. She doesn't by the way.
4) Aunt had to go up for severe back pains. She was sent from A&E to ward 11 due to the 4-hour targets to wait for a social worker. he A&E discharged her from their area but ward 11 did not fully admit her. she was left in the waiting room of that ward for 12-hours. when she asked for a cup of water or tea she was told that refreshments were for patients of the ward only. When she collapsed due to dehydration the nurse accused her of putting it on. Ranks closed when complaint raised.

Yes the could and possibly do have good treatment/news story but it seems to be more by luck than skill. The staff have an attitude that you are more of an hindrance that a patient o theirs. no one chooses to be there but many of the staff make you feel worse for asking for basic stuff like clean sheets and fresh water.

Reply Posted by mrs reid on Monday November 11 2013 at 08:28
Barnsley hospital kept sending me away making me feel like a lunatic mother. ..because of that hospital my 1 yr old baby was given weeks to live. ..They kept saying she had a viral the usual rubbish...she in fact had a extremely rare heart condition thank god for leeds hospital they saved her life.. so for one year they kept sending me away. ..within 1 hour at leeds GI they were planning open heart surgery. ..I no doubt believe there are amazing staff at Barnsley too but who we dealt with nearly killed my daughter shes now 3 and thriving :)

Reply Posted by gail on Monday November 11 2013 at 09:53
ive never had a problem with bdgh when ive had treatment but when my mum was admitted with days left to live with cancer she was left to it ,soaked sheets ,hot cups of tea when she was too weak to lift it properly and hallucinating ,we were so releived when they got a bed for her at the hospice now those people really do care ,ireally didnt rate the nurses at the hospital but there quick enough to pick up there wages for it,

Reply Posted by Wayne Allen on Monday November 11 2013 at 10:36
"Their quick enough to pick up their wages" what a stupid comment! Have a look how much a nurse earns, it's not as much as you think. There is good and bad in every hospital, if ya don't like Barnsley, don't go there! It really is as simple as that!! If you find the "perfect" hospital come and announce it and let us all know about it! This was a doctor's mistake and all you small minded people have turned the conversation around to the nurses! Pathetic!

Reply Posted by Ex nurse on Monday November 11 2013 at 10:40
what a silly comment WAYNE,so if the nurses got paid more then the care would be better...go away

Reply Posted by Mallatt on Monday November 11 2013 at 10:44
A mistake that shouldn't have been made in the 1st place Il think ul find Wayne. Why be so small minded about things! Be all and end all of it is he didn't do his job properly all the warning signs that somthing was wrong were ignored by him & Others! Shouldn't have happend full stop it's a dusgrace

Reply Posted by Mallatt on Monday November 11 2013 at 10:45
*disgrace

Reply Posted by ex nurse.. on Monday November 11 2013 at 10:47
This was a cover up,not just by the Doctor,but everbody who was working with him.............................

Reply Posted by Mallatt on Monday November 11 2013 at 10:52
I agree. Glad that it's been taken further and hopefully prevent anything like this happening again. Just horrible

Reply Posted by Sal on Monday November 11 2013 at 11:02
Yep I totally agree Barnsley hospital always cover up there mistakes.
When my son was born 5years ago I have to have forceps delivery, his head was bleeding really bad but they said he was ok.
They then took us to the ward, my little boy stopped breathing and had to be rushed to scbu.

The day after he had a ct scan and the results were they had fractured his head twice which caused internal bleed to his brain.

They told use to expect the worst within 24 hours and if he did survive he would be sever brain damage, wheel chair bound.

I was horrified it was the worst 48hours of my life, but as look had it my little boy pulled through and is now 5 years old with no problems except a few learning difficulties that's it.

I did seek legal action and last year it was dropped due to lack of evidence.
I read all statements from the hospital and it was all lies.
They said I could have done it while I was giving birth to him ect ect.

So in my situation Barnsley hospital is a butchers shop not a hospital.

Terrible place.
My heart goes out to everyone hurt by this place.

Reply Posted by gail on Monday November 11 2013 at 11:38
I never said they were on a lot of money wayne ,i said they should be doing whats needed of them,and the standard of care goes from surgeons right down to the cleaners ,and yes we all know this article is about one man

Reply Posted by ....... on Monday November 11 2013 at 20:31
@helen. Not all nurses are bone idle.
I bet if you had a choice, die or go to hospital, you would go!!!
Yes there was problems and complications with this patient.
We all want to blame someone when there is a death, but it is blame,, or is it for cash!!!

Reply Posted by Helen on Monday November 11 2013 at 20:50
@....... read my post correctly before making yourself look a fool!! "I would not let a dog go to Barnsley for care.".i am a former patient and I now use another hospital,and yes if I was dying I would use a hospital.BUT NOT BARNSLEY..

Reply Posted by Mallatt on Monday November 11 2013 at 22:50
@......
Have I just read correctly "or is it for cash" ??? Seriously!??!???

Reply Posted by Lynn from royston on Monday May 5 2014 at 13:54
I have had cause to go into hospital many times at Barnsley and I can honestly say that I have been treated with respect at all times ant the doctors have been excellent at there job I do send apologies to the family of the lady in question but an unfortunate accident that could happen to anyone.