Barnsley Man Has Sentence Reduced After Appeal

Friday November 8 2013

A BARNSLEY man who was jailed for five years for cannabis cultivation has had his sentence reduced.

Mark Smith, of Town End, was jailed at Sheffield Crown Court after being convicted of conspiracy to produce cannabis in April.

However, he challenged the length of the sentence imposed and has had it reduced by a year.

The 27-year-old, who owned several buy-to-let properties, used three houses for cultivating cannabis while maintaining a facade of good citizenship by setting up a Neighbourhood Watch scheme on the estate where he lived.

The Court of Appeal heard that, as well as his own house, Smith owned three other properties, one of which, in Wakefield Road, was 'wholly given over to the production of cannabis'.

Police found £116,000 worth of the drug drying in the house, while smaller amounts were uncovered in his other two properties.

Mrs Justice Swift said: "He and his partner were responsible for setting up the Neighbourhood Watch scheme on the estate where he lived.

"His references contrast starkly with the criminal conduct he committed. This was a cannabis factory with sophisticated hydroponics systems.

"His crimes were aggravated by the fact he told police the house was let to a man who turned out to be fictitious."

Reply Posted by dicks on Friday November 8 2013 at 10:03
brill news.

Reply Posted by Sid on Saturday November 9 2013 at 14:07
AH MUCH DOES A BALE OF THAT COST.

Reply Posted by Kilkenny on Thursday November 14 2013 at 18:34
should not have been jailed in the first place dun nowt wrong in my book.

Reply Posted by LOL on Monday November 18 2013 at 13:29
THE JAMMY DODGER.

Reply Posted by jealous of this man on Friday November 8 2013 at 10:10
money money do the crime be prepared to do the time (WELL WORTH IT) look at all the property he as at the age of 27,how long has he been doing it and how much has he got tucked away

Reply Posted by Daz on Friday November 8 2013 at 10:19
Another scumbag, well worth the time for the money he is getting.
Should have had everything taken away from him.

Reply Posted by Not telling on Friday November 8 2013 at 10:29
Go on lad of ya can't graft grow some cash

Reply Posted by the ghost on Friday November 8 2013 at 10:52
Take a year off his sentence, why not take his houses, cash and other ill gotten gains and add a few more years on for the scumbag...

Reply Posted by B on Friday November 8 2013 at 11:04
After sentencing courts work out how much money was made (street value) an fine the offender that amount! So he's obviously already paid his fine otherwise he would have got extra time in jail! And what's taking everything away from him going to achieve? NOTHING! For simple reason being if he's left on his ass he will just go straight back to drugs to pick his self back up cos it's easiest an quickest way if making money!

Reply Posted by RothschilD on Friday November 8 2013 at 11:07
Wow, I guess the people calling this guy a scumbag must know something I don't about him. What else, other than growing some plants did he do...? He must have done something terrible to be called a scumbag. Or, more likely, the people calling him a scumbag are reacting how they've been conditioned to react to a person breaking an archaic, outdated and frankly rediculous law on the propagation of a plant. Even in this country it was very legal to grow and use cannabis until reletively recently. One must then ask oneself, why the about turn...? It's certainly not down to dangers associated with its use, as it has been proven to be less harmful than alcohol and tobacco which are legal as we all know, and most of us use regardless. Or in the language of the above posters "baaaaaah!" :)

Reply Posted by LOL on Friday November 8 2013 at 11:57
HA BET HES GOT GREEN FINGER, OH OH OH .

Reply Posted by hate drugs on Friday November 8 2013 at 12:07
rothschiD you are the scum drugs distroy lifes its a true fact dealers lace weed with SMACK so you chase the hit,i hate drug dealers and people that think its ok to do this look ate the latest news a man killed his wife and kid ,a cannabis user

Reply Posted by Fawkes on Friday November 8 2013 at 13:04
Drug dealing scumbag filth .The towns full of em .

Reply Posted by Dosomeresearch on Friday November 8 2013 at 15:25
Wow such idiots calling him a scumbag. If it was legalised and regulated there wouldn't be this problem. Just a simple search on Google will show you the many medicinal values of cannabis and the gains this country could get from legalising. To claim this man had laced cannabis with crack is obsurd and outrageous, it's not a fact at all. Yes he has earned a lot of money, obviously! And that was from one house with plants if the government were to grow and regulate there wouldn't be any harmful chemicals in cannabis and te obvious economic growth would put this country back on track. It's far less harmful than alcohol or tobacco - no one went looking for fights or breaking shop windows because they were high, no! That's pissed up idiots you see ruining the place. Do some googling

Reply Posted by No To Drugs on Friday November 8 2013 at 15:37
If was was legalised! "IF MY AUNYIE HAD B@@LOCKS SHE,D BE MY UNCLE" it is a crime face facts. he will be growing again as soon as he is released...

Reply Posted by IDIOTS ALL OF YOU on Friday November 8 2013 at 17:04
what drug dealer in their right mind would lase a £10 bag of skunk with smack and still charge a £10. fish breath

Reply Posted by idiot u are on Friday November 8 2013 at 21:31
they do it to get control of you you idiot

Reply Posted by true on Friday November 8 2013 at 21:34
solid soap bar the type with the mitsubishi logo stamped on it has smack in it

Reply Posted by scunk on Friday November 8 2013 at 21:38
they pepper it in 10 bag to a oz

Reply Posted by tony on Friday November 8 2013 at 21:44
they put more smack in than that keeps you running back like idiots only idiots dont know this ,thats why drug dealers are covered in gold and i know this through experience seen it all happening many a time

Reply Posted by Dosomeresearch on Friday November 8 2013 at 17:10
Sorry, WHEN it is legalised. The war on drugs has been a 50year loosing battle that has cost the taxpayer millions. Regulate cannabis, have centres for drug takers then we won't have needles on play areas for kids, cannabis does no harm in fact science proves it does us good! Should be allowed for adults as alcohol and cigarettes which cause a million times more harm than cannabis. If it's regulated there will be no need for back alley drug dealers

Reply Posted by Pudding on Friday November 8 2013 at 18:14
There will always be a black market same as there is one for fags and booze

Reply Posted by Dosomeresearch on Friday November 8 2013 at 17:13
Yeah, it's most likely he will grow again as we all know offenders reoffend. It costs £40,000 to keep one person in prison a year £120,000 is being spent on something shouldn't need be if it was regulated. It should not be a crime it's a waste of money. Why can't you see that.. It's the only solution to the problem. Prohibition is not working.

Reply Posted by jimmy hendrix on Friday November 8 2013 at 17:18
I dont think drugs sit easy in most peoples minds. Its the same with booze. Shows on telly showing teenagers boozing and fighting are getting more common now. I hope it dosn,t go the same way with drugs. I would never support any kind of drug use unless its for medicinal reasons. Hope its never legalised.

Reply Posted by Sal on Friday November 8 2013 at 18:40
Oh my god!!!!
I can smell some doogoodies on ere tonight??

Get your head from up ya ass n listen to what people are saying.

And @no to drugs ask ya aunyie don't ya mean AUNTIE,,prat,, if she has b@@locks she may be from Thailand...

Let's get one thing straight my husband died with cancer a year ago and skunk was the only thing that kept the pain away, is he a scumbag too!! Am I a scumbag for getting it for him because I couldn't bare to see him in excruciating pain.

We'll until it happens which I really hope it does then don't you dare call anybody scumbags.

Reply Posted by Dosomeresearch on Friday November 8 2013 at 20:19
Well done Sal. It's a pity so many people are narrow minded and obtuse up their arse snooty dogooders. If they would take the time to lean the benefits they would agree but they won't. And that's the problem

Reply Posted by Howard Marks on Sunday November 10 2013 at 20:49
As with all things, someone starts it and then the masses follow. Cannabis was outlawed in California in 1913. It wasn't until 1925 that it was outlawed in the UK. Britain signed the 1925 Geneva International Convention on Narcotics Control organised by the League of Nations. Delegates from Turkey and Egypt asked that cannabis be included to the list of substances to be banned along with the cocoa leaf and the opium poppy. The UK delegates wanted to discuss this new addition and refused to sign but later gave in and signed anyway. What goes around comes around and would you Adam & Eve it! California decriminalised the use and small production of "Marihuana" not long ago. Surely its only a matter of time so why not lift the ban and earn something from the tax it would generate.

Reply Posted by Daz on Monday November 11 2013 at 09:11
LoL as if any of these low life pot head scumbags will be paying the taxman anything, it would still be cheaper to go see a low life dealer so they can save a few quid to buy a new pair of jogging bottoms.

Legalize it or not, people who smoke weed are low borns, and they will do whatever they can to buy it as cheap as they can.

Also what about the effect these scumbags have on people that don't use cannabis? I live next door to a pot head, the smell is awful, my kids breath in his crap, his own kids must smell like giant spliffs, horrible horrible horrible.

Reply Posted by Chelpi McGee on Monday November 11 2013 at 09:25
A quick google search and you'll also see that there is significant evidence that cannabis use increases the likelihood of the user developing psychosis and schizophrenia, especially in teenage users. Yep, I can see how that would be a real benefit to your health.

Reply Posted by me on Monday November 11 2013 at 09:27
omg some folk r so retarded drug dealers lace weed wi smack??? r u for real iv smoked weed for 20 years and never ad it laced with smack ur uneducated view on drugs r pisspoticle maybe go n get the correct info on drugs before u start judgin ya ***** dimwits n as for ppl who av weed think about y they take it my grandad as it cos it helps with his joint pains that other "legal" drugs don't av affect on is he a scum bag who fought in war for ur ***** idiots so ur can pass judgement on others it's been medically proven to be affective in some medical conditions n who do u no that's pumped them selfs out for weed or who over dosed for smokin weed il tell ya Sumat I'd rather b around a bunch of weed smokers than a bunch of ***** alco's nowt no worse than an alco n b4 any starts with the spelling police it's 2013 not 1940 that's how we dip it not some mayb ya shud get ya sens upto date

Reply Posted by oh me on Monday November 11 2013 at 09:42
Just proves how this weed effects people,your brain doesn,t engage with the words you are posting..disgraceful grammer and a disgrace to society,,

Reply Posted by lookafteryourbody on Monday November 11 2013 at 09:52
@me, why do you take it? You have one body,one life,and after 20yrs you must by now be seeing the effects of smoking it,even if its only the need for a spliff! I don't get it, theirs sport,dance,walking,yoga,many things that you can do that will give you that lift that you obviously need. Stop the smoke and try it. Its grill.

Reply Posted by him to me on Monday November 11 2013 at 16:14
shut it you scum crap talk

Reply Posted by Daz on Monday November 11 2013 at 09:36
See the post from "me" to see why this drug is illegal, he has smoked weed for 20 years and you can see the result in his post.

Just say no people, please don't allow yourself to sink so low.

Reply Posted by oh me on Monday November 11 2013 at 09:37
I bet you are a good catch for the ladies,and the kids are proud of such a role model,it stinks and so do you,you embarrament

Reply Posted by Fawkes on Monday November 11 2013 at 09:40
To all you Potheads .Your habit is anti social .Have any of you smelt yourself even when you are not smoking the weed you stink of the stuff .Stop smoking get a life instead of being Monged in a corner off yore faces !

Reply Posted by lookaftermybody on Monday November 11 2013 at 09:46
Hear hear Fawkes! Why would you? If you need it for pain, and it works so be it,but otherwise respect your lovely,brilliant,body and mind! Daft!

Reply Posted by Daz on Monday November 11 2013 at 09:43
Apologies I didn't realize the ladies were into the unemployed, tracksuit wearing pot heads that have lost all hope in life that they consider smoking the crap they do as a means to simply to get through the day.

As for my kids, will be raised correctly, they will have respect not only for themselves but for their neighbours, family and friends, they will not need illegal drugs to help them get on in life, they will be happy.

Reply Posted by james on Monday November 11 2013 at 09:49
I never touched the green smelly stuff..alot of my mates do,there stink,eyes rolling,unclean,bad breath,,sorry is it worth it..

Reply Posted by lookaftermybody on Monday November 11 2013 at 09:53
God James! Reading this mid breakfast! Imagine sat across from that while eating it??? Smelly sods

Reply Posted by Kilkenny on Monday November 11 2013 at 10:27
I smoke the weed for over 25yrs.I don.t bother anybody as I live away from the community. I am well known as STIG OF THE DUMP. you will spot me from the smoke signals and the smell in wombwell woods..

Reply Posted by Sid on Monday November 11 2013 at 10:35
STIG can I come and join you.my wife kicked me out.fed up with the electric bill.£70 weekly due to growing my own and taking over the bedroom.i will look for the smoke signals..

Reply Posted by Kilkenny on Monday November 11 2013 at 15:35
Sid..Come and join me,i hope you don,t snore as you will wake all the wildlife up..Bring some green my friend,

Reply Posted by Richard on Monday November 11 2013 at 15:49
Is there room for a Tory boy..i don,t smoke geen stuff,but happy to have a beer or two.will bring my own sleeping bag...see you soon friends!

Reply Posted by to kilkenny on Monday November 11 2013 at 16:31
yep the top end of woodwalk more like lol got ya

Reply Posted by sarah on Monday November 11 2013 at 11:10
It will never reach the problem scale of alcohol. You can't walk round town without being tapped by alci's wanting money for the next can of superstrength. And i certainly cant see dealers lacing weed with smack when its a much more expensive drug !!!

Reply Posted by to sarah on Monday November 11 2013 at 16:22
yes they do sarah especially if they know youve got a bit of money,it gets you chaseing after the hit believe it or not

Reply Posted by Snoop on Wednesday November 13 2013 at 21:15
Only reason herb is illegal is because the government cant control its distribution. open your eyes people its proven 0 deaths from weed. if the government was so concerned over our health theyd ban alochol and tobaco. the reason they dont? how much money off of tax do they make off it. brainwashed fools

Reply Posted by to dead bob on Wednesday November 13 2013 at 23:05
loads of dealers lace weed you dick what made the man a psycho, weed you dick,i have also seen it done with my own eyes ,ive seen crap gear turned into top gear that knocks there socks off ,you are an idiot with no sense

Reply Posted by free weed on Thursday November 14 2013 at 00:12
the goverment has been growing weed years, at secret locations in england,tthey treat chemo patients with an extract from it to stop them feeling sick ,google it ,also ms sufferers can get it in a spray,

Reply Posted by Lacey on Friday November 15 2013 at 09:37
@wtf - there are some thickos on this site. Lacing weed with heroin? I nearly fell off my chair laughing when I heard that.

Reply Posted by to lacey the div on Friday November 15 2013 at 12:56
you must be as green as a cabbage ,some dealers deliberatley contaminate it so they can sell more,believe it or believe it not i dont care ,youre an idiot,get to know the know instead of being a big head

Reply Posted by LOL on Friday November 15 2013 at 09:51
I LIKE MY CRACK. I AV TO GO TO SHEFIELLD FOR IT THO. IT AINT REYNT THERE ARE NO DEALERS IN TARN.

Reply Posted by @daz on Friday November 15 2013 at 10:33
Cannot stop laughing at your comment:

Ha ha. They will probably turn into MDMA taking, dope smoking degenerates!

Reply Posted by spliffin hell on Friday November 15 2013 at 10:35
What's this posting on here all about? I know more than you about weed/heroin? Well, I know nothing about any of the drugs apart from those that use them all look like dirty scruffs and they stink! Why not use your brain cells to educate yourselves on something chuffing useful instead of druggy filth? I'm proud I know sod all about them, those that use them,go and scuttle off to town, that's one more thing I know,the crap even makes them walk different....scuttlings more the word. Idiotic mindbenders.

Reply Posted by 16 yr ph on Thursday December 8 2016 at 16:46
People need to calm down, I've smoke cannabis for just under 16 years. am 25, i became homeless at a young age and was violently abuse as a child, i suffer from depression very badly. I have a load tablets that the doctors make me take and they physically make me dopey and stop my body from functioning properly. I smoke cannabis because it helps with my every day tasks, including work. In certain parts of the year i go out and work, now i wouldn't be able to do this w/o cannabis because my depression would kick in and if took my medication i wouldn't be fit to work as I do function correctly. I dont abuse cannabis I use when needed, for the folk saying its "laced" grow up I know many growers whom I trust and known for years. The only thing weed leads to is the shop or the fridge or kettle, It's the government ruling's that force folk to go to untrusted sorces which lead to other drugs...... Learn what you can before opening mouths, because the harsh reality is, it's a plant thats got oil, paper, plastics ect..... Now have a good Christmas and Happy new year