News » WAB Guides

Town Centre Wi-fi - THE WAB IDIOT'S GUIDE

Tuesday July 26 2011

Puzzled about the town centre wi-fi scheme? Baffled as to how to connect? Look no further, the WAB Wi-fi Guide is here to help.

First things first; you have to register online. And you have to be in the town centre to do that (you sign up on the network.)

You have to pony up your name, email address, mobile number and a password. You will get a validating text and need to enter this to validate your connection. From henceforth, whenever you want to access the free Wi-fi it will prompt you for your mobile number and password before it opens up it's little pearly server gates for you.

Now, to use the free Wi-fi next work in the town centre you must be, ahem, IN the town centre and have a device that will allow you to connect - like a laptop or phone that's Wi-fi enabled.
Areas of coverage in the catchment area is around the interchange, town hall, The Mall, open market, Morrisons, Digital Media Centre, the college, in most shops and cafes, office buildings and open areas in the inbetween.

For those who aren't so tech savvy, here's how you connect. You have to use your phone, laptop, Blackberry, space craft..whatever...to detect all available Wi-fi signals

PING! Once you see BarnsleyFreeWiFi stop your search! This is the one you are after! When you first try to connect, you will be taken to an internet site where you can register/ log in.

There's a little disclaimer when you register about usage, details etc...take a moment to read it. (I know you won't but I have to say it!)

And ta-da! You should be surfing! Good luck and enjoy - it is, after all, free...

Reply Posted by Mictim59 on Tuesday March 6 2012 at 11:41
It took me at least a dozen attempts to register,  but now i pick it up automaticaly when im in town,along with Belkin, car phone whouse, BT openzone, Cloud. Etc etc,   very confusing,!!!

Reply Posted by Jamesaaroncureton on Tuesday March 6 2012 at 12:31
What about on my wifi only iPad as it doesn't have a mobile number how would I register?

Reply Posted by Samanthadunkley on Tuesday March 6 2012 at 12:42
i have tried to register 3 or 4 times...it sends me the code but then as soon as i try to log in using my number and password ive chosen (ive even tried logging in first time with mobile number and the code its sent)...it just refreshes the page and refuses to let me connet!!

Reply Posted by tR on Thursday September 26 2013 at 14:33
Sam, i too am having this problem! Did you find a solution?

Reply Posted by linda carter on Saturday September 15 2012 at 19:53
mines the same as Samantha's Ive registered a few times but it refuses to let me connect

Reply Posted by v maskery on Sunday March 10 2013 at 19:22
I tried fir ever ti register and gave up. Mine same as person above. Git code through e mail but when tried to connect got no joy. Got fed up of trying

Reply Posted by Roystondon on Friday March 22 2013 at 21:29
Failed to even register. Kept asking for a valid mobile number. Kept cutting and pasting from my mobile. Just kept asking for a valid number. Gave up. Wasted 20 minutes on it. Shame, would have been useful.

Reply Posted by Roger on Saturday September 21 2013 at 08:04
Tried to register whilst changing trains at Barnsley, but my train came before I had time to complete. It would be better if we could register on the web in advance of using the facility.

Why use a mobile phone to register? BT Fon & East Coast don't require one. What about people who don't have a mobile? I don't want junk texts/calls either!

Reply Posted by IAN on Saturday October 12 2013 at 16:36
Tried registering to the town wifi in Barnsley what a waste of time that was they should get their finger out of their arse and sort it

Reply Posted by JIM PARKIN on Wednesday December 11 2013 at 14:37
Nightmare trying to register now I cant shift it.How do I disable it and get it completely from my mobile?

Reply Posted by Michael Wood on Wednesday April 23 2014 at 11:33
Where do we find the answers to peoples questions, my question is the same as above, can't register and how about registering a tablet without a phone number

Reply Posted by bikkiy on Sunday June 1 2014 at 18:10
For the supposed cost of this project it should be free .no log in no email no phone number.
Every ratepayer in Barnsley paid for this .
What a joke .

Reply Posted by Matt on Monday June 30 2014 at 06:43
Whats the registration page, when I tried its never re directed me

Reply Posted by sean on Wednesday July 30 2014 at 10:27
Like others I get my code via an sms. I enter it exactly as sent and hit confirm. That takes me back to the login page where I put my mbl number & password. 1 of 2 things happen. Either i get error 404 page cannot be displayed or error 405 there was a data connection problem or a problem with the server.i've tried several times now and it's much simpler and quicker to use my mobile network than to waste any more time on barnsley free wifi rubbish

Reply Posted by Stuart Allen on Saturday March 12 2016 at 19:41
I'm trying to use my printer with wi-fi can't connect ?

Reply Posted by michael on Friday July 8 2016 at 16:55
Having problems with the wi fi their is always red light on the Internet on the WiFi and for some reason I can't send email. So what's the problem