Dog Attacks Horse On Trans Pennine Trail

Wednesday October 30 2013

A WOMAN had to cling on when her horse bolted - after being attacked by a dog on the Trans Pennine Trail.

Sarah Bedford was enjoying a leisurely trek along the Trans Pennine Trail near Silkstone Common when an unleashed German Shepherd ran towards her and began biting her horse.

The 26-year-old then clung on as her 14-year-old warmblood, Deedee, charged off with the dog following.

"The dog came from absolutely nowhere and went straight for her back legs and she just bolted and didn't stop until we were at Worsbrough," said Sarah.

"I was shouting at everyone to get out of the way because she was at a proper gallop. She'll be scared of dogs for the rest of her life now."

Sarah feared her horse was going to crash into a gate on the trail, last Sunday morning, but a group of bike riders managed to swing it open in time.

Members of the public tried to grab the dog before the owner eventually caught up and restrained his animal but, despite being apologetic, he was unwilling to give his contact details in case the horse needed vet treatment.

Sarah, from Worsbrough, who later contacted the police, cleaned the horse's wounds and said she would monitor the animal before deciding if a vet is required.

Reply Posted by Truthordare on Wednesday October 30 2013 at 15:29
This is worrying because I ride on there a lot. I hope the owner has learned to keep his dog on a lead now and it was wrong to not give his details.

Reply Posted by Craig on Wednesday October 30 2013 at 17:55
What so everyone could start a witch hunt for the dog owner.
details should be for the police only.

Reply Posted by Clare on Wednesday October 30 2013 at 15:48
Owner of the dog should be ashamed of themselves . I always keep my dog on a lead if there are horses around . If I was the owner of the horse id appeal for witnesses and have them charged .

Reply Posted by Greg on Wednesday October 30 2013 at 15:55
The bloke was jogging, trying to control his little girl on her bike and keep an eye on the dog all at the same time. We must have chased after her for a quarter of a mile and it was a bloody big horse! Wouldn't have fancied falling off it!

Reply Posted by Bingo on Wednesday October 30 2013 at 16:02
Sounds like the guy was out having a nice afternoon with his kid and dog. Thats what you do on there. You dont know what to expect, after all the horse could have reared up and hurt the kid,who knows? Its life. The owner should stand any bills for the vets though to be fair.

Reply Posted by get down shep on Wednesday October 30 2013 at 15:57
Not sure. Really that trail is just the place where a dog could be let off really. The dog has more than likely been running around and the owner may have lost sight of it. For my money its a case of both partys being out using the trail for what ist thier for and the poor horse was in the wrong place at the wrong time. Stuff happens. The owner should however have stepped up to the mark and done the right thing by the horse and the owner. The trail is for everyone,people, dogs,horses,bikes and sometimes things happen.It cannot be left empty in case a horse,dog etc gets hurt. I dont have adog. Come on dog owner,stand up to your responsibilities.

Reply Posted by observer on Wednesday October 30 2013 at 17:27
german shepherds..(not alsations) are very intelligent animals. sometimes if the dog is agitated in some way can make them react like this. I wouldn't think the owner of the dog would be legally obliged to give details. as someone implied above, its a risk you take going on ventures like this, its not like motoring.

Reply Posted by Alex on Wednesday October 30 2013 at 21:19
Observer, I don't think you would come out with comment like that if a little child got bitten by the dog. I can't see why anyone would take their dog of a lead in the first place. If I had it my way all dogs would be muzzled.

Reply Posted by Kelly Tetley on Wednesday October 30 2013 at 18:48
Im sorry but at the end of the day the dog should have been on a lead. Its for everyone to enjoy including horse riders and kids and with a vicious dog like that running wild its not safe. Why should public be put at risk because of a careless dog owner, And yes if it means start a witch hunt for the owner then so be it why should she be left with vet bills to pay? I'm sure if horse had kicked out at the dog he'd be wanting her details for his vet bill!.....

Reply Posted by Kerry on Wednesday October 30 2013 at 19:47
Sorry (not saying her) but some horse riders r ignorant too argument last ur at cannon hall a woman refused to move on from the event instead stayed and her horse bolted and she fell all because she was too stubborn to move on.
This dog may have never been bothered by horses b4 but something made him, maybe seeing someone on the horse n he did it trying to defend her. Million reasons no need to witch hunt

Reply Posted by Swifty on Wednesday October 30 2013 at 19:50
Dogs should be on a lead in a public place. And at the very least should be muzzled. I have dogs myself.

Reply Posted by german shepard owner on Wednesday October 30 2013 at 20:12
Jesus! weather it be posterd as "alsation or German shepard" what difference does it make.?The dog chased and attacked the horse at the end of the day. It also put a person in a dangerous situation regardless of its breed... Obviously due to dog owners negligence. This dog should have been on a lead, it shouldnt have happened and he certainly should have given his details. Think your views would all be different if you was walking your dog and the horse decided to trample it due to be out of control. A horse wears a bridle to control it, same applies a dog should be on a lead and in control..whoops I forgot, some dog owners have no respect for others

Reply Posted by Dog and Horse Owner! on Wednesday October 30 2013 at 20:48
This could have ended so very bad! this was an experienced rider, on an experienced horse who have ridden on the trial for the last 10 years! The dog was totally out of control (in a public place) and the most worrying thing was it didn't want to give up chase. If you want to let your dog off the lead then at least make sure it comes back to command.

Reply Posted by observer on Thursday October 31 2013 at 09:25
@alex. but that wasn't the case. was it?. we can go on about all day saying what if this or that happened? nothing did happen did it? did the bloody horse owner have insurance for the horse?

Reply Posted by Alex on Friday November 8 2013 at 08:09
Observer. Yes we can go on about it all day. That's what is wrong, we talk too much. It's action before things like this happens we need to have. All dogs should be kept on a lead and muzzled when out side. Did the dog owner have insurance???

Reply Posted by Rachel on Thursday October 31 2013 at 09:41
In the 10 years I've been riding my horse on the TPT 3 times I have had dogs snapping at my horses heels, useless owners just stand there and gawp. My horse is usually very sensible however when something that naturally he is designed to protect himself from he will react, putting myself, him and the dog in danger. Dogs should be kept on leads on the TPT, like we ride our horses in bridles in order to control them. However this is the minority as the majority of dog walkers are pleasant, lovely people who stand to one side with their dogs and let us pass! Always up for a quick chat and compliments!

Reply Posted by Also horse and dog owner on Thursday October 31 2013 at 12:11
TPT is there for everybody to use and people should (majority do) have respect for other users. When I am walking my dog who is off the lead. I call her back when needed and stand aside for a horse to pass. Likewise on my horse I often stand until the dog is restrained or step into the side myself. People should only let the dog off the lead if they have full control. As some have said above the horse is wearing a bridal for control, people would complain if you turned the horse loose. I have heard many other stories of similar incidents, I know the rider in this case who is experienced and has a Rottweiler herself so is no stranger to what could happen. Accepted this was an accident the ignorance of the dog owner was wrong.

Reply Posted by german shepard owner on Thursday October 31 2013 at 13:19
Observer!! In actual fact, the horse was insured and always has been. But like I said "the dog attacked the horse". If a car ran into your car, would your car insurance accept to pay out If you wasnt at fault? Ithink NOT!! We pay public liability on horse insurance, covering any incidents caused by the horse..This was not caused by the horse. So the legal team would challange the dog owner, in which maybe the case. This man needs to step forward and accept this was his own fault!

Reply Posted by Ozzy on Thursday October 31 2013 at 13:50
Sorry but if the dog had run after a child would people be reacting the same way? Just because it is a horse doesn't take away from the fact that the owner is responsible for his dog, just has he would have been if it had attacked a child.

Reply Posted by Keith Challis on Saturday November 2 2013 at 11:20
There are dog owners and there are responsible dog owners. This was the former. My dogs are soft as grease....but would chase ducks all day long. So if there's ducks they go on their leads. It's not rocket science.

Reply Posted by donald on Saturday November 2 2013 at 13:14
Hey kieth, ducks on leads? That's tickled me.

Reply Posted by Barnsley Truth on Saturday November 2 2013 at 12:36
First of all, if any of my animals had been 'bitten' by a dog they would automatically be seen by a vet not 'monitored' by me. Secondly thinking from a dogs point of view if a 15/16 hand horse was approaching my family I'd see it off too, contrary to the 'victims' statement dogs don't have the power to teleport so they don't come out of nowhere. I find horse riders are very similar to cyclists, they think they come first and should be given preferential treatment. A lesson to be learned from all sides horse riders be more aware and avoid dogs with families, dog owners be more aware of how overprotective your dog can be.

Reply Posted by TPT USER on Sunday November 3 2013 at 00:04
@Barnsley Truth - YOU HAVE NO IDEA WHAT YOU ARE TALKING ABOUT! Thankfully the horse had no bite wounds and no vet was needed at that stage! Yes the dog did bite but did not get a good grip - thank god! AND This horse was not approaching a family! The horse was on its way back home in the opposite direction and the dog approached running madly from behind - at this stage NO ONE was with the dog. GET YOUR FACTS RIGHT!!!!!!

Reply Posted by WAD on Saturday November 2 2013 at 13:02
Horses kind of pee me off on the trail they crap all over and are dangerous in many ways. I use the trail for cycling and dog walking though I tend to stay clear of the bits where the horse riders hang out. I do agree with some of the comments above that the riders of horses seem to think they have the law of the jungle due to the fact they are higher and riding an animal that weighs a ton. I don't personally think The TPT is a place for horses just like with motorbikes. I do like horses too but I don't get how they should be on the trail.

Reply Posted by Mark Lang on Saturday November 2 2013 at 14:06
This guy should have stepped up to the mark and given his details (tbh it's the least he could have done ), my dog has attacked before (no an horse) and the first thing I did was apologize and let them know I would pay any vet bills (as this was "totally" my fault ).
We don't want any witch hunt just lessons to be learned .
I'm sure this guy will think twice before letting his dog run free again (or will he )?.

Reply Posted by TPT USER on Sunday November 3 2013 at 00:03

Reply Posted by Barnsley truth on Wednesday November 6 2013 at 04:54
Sooooooo, the horse had no bite wounds but the dog did bite ?? mmmm OK. The report says 'biting' as in more than once is this NOT fact ....I had some sympathy , now I know you're full of horse shit

Reply Posted by Kerry on Sunday November 3 2013 at 07:04
@WAD I speak for a lot of horse riders and I am sure this impression you have of them being 'king of the castle' is completely incorrect - the trial is a 'bridle path' and is there to be used by everyone not just walkers - it is suppose to offer horse riders a safe environment to ride away from roads etc and busy traffic. Horses are not all dangerous, yes they can be but just like a dog. Sounds like you don't like horses a all?

Reply Posted by Kerry on Sunday November 3 2013 at 07:06
@Barnsley Truth - you do not know the facts as mentioned above, you've just made yourself look extremely silly!

Reply Posted by Caz on Sunday November 3 2013 at 12:40
What's more scary is he's taken this dog home with his child, next time it might not be an animal!!

Reply Posted by jen on Tuesday November 5 2013 at 22:41
we first thing is dogs are not allowed off the lead in public places. the next point is thier not always horse poo all over thier more dog poo and aleast you see the horse before you stand in it and trail is wide so no problems walking past the horses on trail and rides have more control of thier horses then alot of dog owners

Reply Posted by Hannah on Tuesday November 5 2013 at 22:41
Ffs he said he was sorry, I wouldn't pay for anyone elses vet bill either lol, its like me going over to my neighbours and asking to pay vet bill for our cats that have been fighting, get a grip and move on

Reply Posted by jen on Tuesday November 5 2013 at 23:05
the horse will be insured anyway if was bad she would covered for it anyway at he said sorry im dog o and horse owner its public trail so they will horses dogs and other animal someone would like take thier but people need to Responsible and respectful of the different used of the trail

Reply Posted by bonzo on Tuesday November 5 2013 at 23:07
What?? Try again .

Reply Posted by jen on Tuesday November 5 2013 at 23:35
sorry bnzo im on my iphone it doesnt always write what i want it too lol. my point is it public trail so they will people on bikes, different animals ect people need to be more responsible and Respectful to the different user of the tail. yes the horse will insured and he did say sorry but it could be alot worse the women could fallen off and injured or been kill because f the dog actions and the owners lack of care for safe of other people he could been in lot of trouble

Reply Posted by Collet on Wednesday November 6 2013 at 00:03
When dog owners take there dogs out however large or small, they should be on a lead no matter where they are.Some leads are very flexible and gives them plenty of freedom but still under control,and am fed up with hearing those words IT WONT BITE,

Reply Posted by Dinky on Wednesday November 6 2013 at 00:15
I'm sorry but some of these comments are absolutely awful. Yes I don't know all the facts and won't pretend I do. But all your comments would be so different if the dog had bit the horse and the horse attacked it to defends itself. Not only that but this rider could have been seriously injured from her horse bolting. It would have been awful if she had fallen off. If you do not know how a dog will react around animals then keep them on a lead. I once had my dogs on a lead and showed them horses stood still in a field as they had never seen them before. They were calm and curious and just stood and watched. There was a fence separating us from the horse. THIS DOES NOT MEAN they will be fine around a horse in motion or in an area where they are not separated by a fence etc.
Use your brains people!

Reply Posted by jen on Wednesday November 6 2013 at 00:30
well said dinky if the dog bite child then everyone would trying to find the owner but because it just horse lets all blame horse and the rider for being there its sad that people that enjoy ridding now have to be on the look out of dogs that might attack thier horse because some people cant control thier animals

Reply Posted by Collet on Wednesday November 6 2013 at 10:49
Oh dogs don't bite do they try telling that to the family who have just lost a little girl,from a friendly dog !

Reply Posted by Penistone Fella on Wednesday November 6 2013 at 11:00
Too many people have dogs that do not look after them properly or clean up after them either, All pets are now expensive to look after them properly and not to mention the cost of Pet insurance, Many many times I have walked on the TPT and seen dog mess all over and bags full of it littered all over the place, Dogs also roaming around unleashed, Whilst I do agree the vast majority of Dog owners are responsible and look after there Dogs properly, Some do not!

Reply Posted by Kelly on Wednesday November 6 2013 at 15:50
Hannah think you need to get a grip, nothing like 2 cats fighting! the horse was attacked by the dog therefor the dog owner should pay, n Jen why should she pay her excess for insurance?

Reply Posted by jen on Wednesday November 6 2013 at 20:42
@Barnsley truth yes dogs can bite but not cause significant wounds or any wounds for that matter - I don't know the facts and I don't know this women but you sound a complete & utter twit ! Wonder what your comments would be if she had fallen off & seriously injured herself or someone else in the process! Then again you'd probably blame that on the horse! Dont be so bloody inconsiderate!

Reply Posted by Matt on Wednesday November 6 2013 at 20:56
Barnsley truth and Hannah - I think your both on different planets to everyone else! LOL

Reply Posted by john on Saturday October 3 2015 at 09:52
similar happened to me this week only I was on a bike and when I told the owner the dog should be on a lead he told me to f off I will be honest I want to get off the bike and give him a good beating but the dog was proper nasty.it seems to me horses and cyclist get the blame for the dog walkers wanting the trail for a doggy toilet.

Reply Posted by john on Saturday October 3 2015 at 09:57
I have had and grown up with gun dogs all my 57 years an you know if your dog is fit to be off the lead and if it is under control if not keep it on a lead before someone gets hurt or worse.

Reply Posted by Deb on Sunday February 14 2016 at 20:05
I honestly cant believe what im reading tbf the dog owner was in the wrong as the dog wasnt on a lead... weather the dog bit thro the skin or not doesnt mean it didnt bite the horse... if the rider had been thrown and seriously injured what would ya comments be then.....its outragous he should have stepped up and been a proper man and taken responsibility simple as.....my neighbor who isnt an animal lover ran my cat over and came an knocked on my door and offered to pay for her treatment altho it was an accident he couldnt avoid(cat ran under back wheel) she sadly passed away before we got her there but he was devastated and offered to buy another. Thats what a real reaponsible adult looks like. Omg i cant get over the horse n rider been blamed here its out of order...... step up and show ya child what responsibility and decency looks like. Glad the horse and rider are ok