Model Overcoming Condition To Pursue Dream

Friday November 1 2013

A MODEL who was diagnosed with a curved spine is overcoming the condition to fulfil her ambition of appearing in fashion magazines.

Leanne Roberts, 18, would spend ages in front of a mirror trying to self correct her posture and stand up straight after being diagnosed with scoliosis two years ago.

She feared it would end her modelling dreams - because she thought nobody wanted to look at a wonky model.

"I was diagnosed when I was 16, I was at the age where I was really impressionable and it affected me really badly," she said.

"It was awful how much time I would spend crying and I was terrified of what would happen to me. I was paranoid I would end up looking awful and would end up in a wheelchair."

Leanne, of High Balk, Barnsley, has a double S-shaped curved spine.

She first noticed aching pains when she was 14, but put them down to growing pains.

It was only when she started to suffer agonising shooting pains that she mentioned it to her mother and went to see her GP.

She was told by a consultant she would need surgery but discovered through Scoliosis SOS how simple exercises could avoid surgery and make a huge difference.

"I was ecstatic and I couldn't wait to start the treatment. I think everyone should consider exercise before putting themselves through a risky operation.

"I could feel the difference in my back after the first few days and I could see the difference. As long as I keep up with the exercises I shouldn't suffer from pain and my scoliosis should stabilise.

"I feel like I'm back in control again."

The condition is likely to get worse, but Leanne is smiling again and, having appeared on fashion websites, has thrown herself back into modelling and is looking to win a host of new contracts.

"I feel I can now finally look forward," she added.

Reply Posted by june on Friday November 1 2013 at 13:12
so pleased for you good luck in your career

Reply Posted by Not interested on Friday November 1 2013 at 21:33
How pathetic another wanna be winging I know someone with this and you don't hear them winging and been pathetic not going to get far in modeling anyway by looks if her

Reply Posted by Jules on Friday November 1 2013 at 21:51
You must be looking in the mirror Not interested!!The girl I'm looking is gorgeous,hope she goes far in the modelling world,well done Leanne.Not interested needs to learn to spell correctly ie:WINGING and MODELING pfffft,says everything about you,change your name to Not interesting :) suits YA :))

Reply Posted by kilkenny on Friday November 1 2013 at 22:34
not interested - how nasty

The girl is lovely. Learn to spell too.

Reply Posted by contradictory on Saturday November 2 2013 at 00:27
Erm not interested, but interested enough to post disparaging comments. Jealousy springs to mind

Reply Posted by Not interested on Sunday November 3 2013 at 18:15
Jealous! Ha my ars! Just stating facts darling and well someone needs to tell the truth on this post and I don't know where your looking just another air head that looks like they've been smacked by a bus give it in as a bad job love isn't goin to happen oh and by the way I'm happily male no jealousy here

Reply Posted by Rubydoo on Sunday November 3 2013 at 19:51
Good Luck young lady, you sound determined and I'm sure you'll do well.

Reply Posted by Nana on Thursday November 7 2013 at 21:08
Well done gorgeous girl :) xx

Reply Posted by RothschilD on Thursday November 7 2013 at 21:36
Brave. A shame such brave ambition lies in something as shallow as a modelling career. And when her so called beauty wears thin, all that will be left is a so called ugly shell, and nothing else. Beauty robs a person of character and intelligence in this paradigm, and dumb, stupid, shallow half wits are celebrated. Seen TOWIE? I pity her still.