Barnsley Mum Wins £300,000 On Scratchcard

Tuesday October 29 2013

A BARNSLEY mum-of-five is celebrating after winning a whopping £300,000 on a scratchcard!

Julie Whaling, from Lundwood, who plays two scratchcard games every week, couldn’t believe her eyes as the matching numbers were revealed one by one.

Julie, 47, who works as a packer at Manor Bakeries, said: "I was getting ready to head off to work but thought I’d just play the scratchcard which I’d bought earlier that day.

"When I saw the matching numbers my hands started to shake - I must have checked the card about ten times.

"I really thought it was all a wind up so I called my son Steven into the room and he said we should call the National Lottery. They confirmed that I’d won the top prize and we both started jumping up and down in celebration."

Still shell-shocked at her good fortune, Julie gave the winning card to her daughter Shantel, 27, to safe-guard before heading off to work her night shift.

Since her son had already announced his mum’s win on Facebook, she was met with a rapturous reception when she arrived at the bakery.

Julie, who has lived on the same street all of her life, is now looking to move into a bigger home and has already been to view her dream bungalow, which is just one mile down the road from her current house.

"It really is a dream come true and if it can happen to me, it can happen to anyone." Julie added.

"We're going to have the best Christmas ever and I’m taking the whole family out to lunch on Christmas Day so no one has to do the cooking."

Reply Posted by justine on Tuesday October 29 2013 at 12:57
Good for u lv..enjoy it x

Reply Posted by lol on Thursday October 31 2013 at 10:15
£300,000 It will buy 50 houses in lundwood.

Reply Posted by Caz on Tuesday October 29 2013 at 13:02
Awe congratulations!!! Enjoy every last penny of it x

Reply Posted by Georgie on Tuesday October 29 2013 at 13:32
It's always nice to see someone who deserves it to get it! It's usually rich people that come up smelling of roses so I was pleased that a 'normal' lady had won such a nice sum! Well done love, enjoy it!

Reply Posted by thomas wolsterholme on Tuesday October 29 2013 at 13:47
can da lend us summat till next week.

Reply Posted by maxine on Tuesday October 29 2013 at 14:55
many congratulations.. enjoy your win!!

Reply Posted by Steve on Tuesday October 29 2013 at 21:07
Good luck to ya luv. You deserve it!! It's good to hear some hard working folk getting some good fortune. Wish it was me!!

Reply Posted by Ann on Tuesday October 29 2013 at 21:42
Congratulation about time something nice happened for someone from this town hope this is just the start for many struggling Barnsley folk enjoy x

Reply Posted by j on Wednesday October 30 2013 at 11:18
Fantastic news, great to hear about it. Once thought I had done it on a scratchcard so I know what it feels like to have all that money - but unfortunately I had misread a 9 for 0 - great feeling while it lasted though haha!! Chuffed for you luv x

Reply Posted by mrx on Thursday October 31 2013 at 15:17
if I won big I wouldn't go public you will get everyone comeing to borrow now

Reply Posted by Jayne on Thursday October 31 2013 at 15:43
Finally a hard working family get some luck. Well done mrs, have a fab Christmas And enjoy your money. Brilliant

Reply Posted by Jules on Thursday October 31 2013 at 17:34
Fantastic lovely to hear something nice hope it brings you and yours much happiness xx

Reply Posted by joanne on Saturday November 2 2013 at 22:06
U deserve it luv have a good Christmas luv to all ya family xx