Meeting Set To Oppose Library's Demolition

Monday October 28 2013

A MEETING will be held on Saturday opposing the council's proposals to demolish Barnsley Central Library.

The idea is to bring together people who are opposed to the demolition of the library and the downgrading of some branch libraries to neighbourhood libraries with reduced opening hours.

Local campaigner Dave Gibson said: "I have started a petition against the demolition and have had a very positive response by standing outside the library so far.

"The majority of people knew about it and were already opposed. I hope people will start campaigning in places like Darfield, Dodworth and Worsbrough to stop their branch libraries being downgraded too.

"I'm angry there has been no consultation about the plans to demolish the library and ask people who highly value the library service to come to the meeting so we can decide how we should respond as a local community.

"I hope in the meantime the council cabinet will delay any decision to enable proper consultation to take place."

The meeting will be held at 1pm on Saturday, November 2, at the library on Shambles Street.

Reply Posted by Arthur on Monday October 28 2013 at 15:42
Order second hand books on Amazon for 1p?
In times of public cuts surely money should go to sort out road conditions, housing conditions, public parks and healthcare.
Have a class set up at the civic to teach the elderly and unemployed how to download an e-book or order books online for next to nothing.
Most scholary articles and specialist books available in digital format anyway.
If we are changing the town for the better; lets move with the times.

Where am I going to refill my quail ink or drive my horse and cart? I need new batteries for my discman and a newgame for my commodore64 - will the library tell me how to solve these problems?

Reply Posted by Mick on Monday October 28 2013 at 16:00
The library is about much more than being able to read a book. People go there to meet up & talk, as a good reason to have a trip out of the house. Chatting to the librarian might be the only conversation that some people get that day. The library provides access to the internet that some don't have at home and as that is becoming the standard way to access a lot of govt. services it is absolutely vital. I'm sure every £1 spent on providing a good library service is repaid many times over in social, educational & wellbeing benefits.

Reply Posted by Ray on Monday October 28 2013 at 17:00
Point missed once again by someone. The library is not being closed it is being moved, so another organisation can develop a much wider footprint than is there already.

I have heard that currently the library is far too inefficient in lighting heating and maintenance due to the current build.

Course Its the fault of the council for not communicating its aims, however this whole story has been blown all out of preportion by Barnsley Chronicle and We are Barnsley, in sayig that the library will be pulled down when it was little more than a plan to start with.

Reply Posted by Mick on Monday October 28 2013 at 18:35
I think most people are aware that the intention is to replace the library, but there is legitimate concern that only the plans for the temporary relocation are sorted. The permanent plans, funding & a firm timescale need to be sorted before the current library is sold off.

Reply Posted by LOL on Tuesday October 29 2013 at 10:23
Wheres dickie bird gone has he flown the nest.

Reply Posted by rainbow on Wednesday October 30 2013 at 10:14
You just sound like a Labour councillor, knows the price of everything and the value of nothing.!!!

Reply Posted by Mick on Wednesday October 30 2013 at 19:23
Labour councillor, not bloody likely rainbow, Value them dirty run down shops do you?

Reply Posted by nicefountains on Monday October 28 2013 at 15:48
Good, sort out the ugly shops up Shambles Street at the same time.

Reply Posted by Rubydoo on Tuesday October 29 2013 at 08:02
I agree 'nicefountains', the library building and Shambles street shops where the old YEB used to be look horrible. Time for a change.

Reply Posted by Milly on Tuesday October 29 2013 at 12:29
I have such fond memories of Central library and the old one in the Civic. I used to visit Central library every Saturday afternoon. Who remembers the bright red plastic seats in the children's library, and the circular workstation where the librarians would sit? I would spend many an hour sitting on those seats reading Topsy and Tim books.

Reply Posted by SAM, on Tuesday October 29 2013 at 20:19
oh milly,,when was that?last week tory girl.

Reply Posted by sid on Tuesday October 29 2013 at 20:22
That's a nice post Milly. Not being nasty there. Can't remember topsy and Tim. Were they before Janet and john?

Reply Posted by milly on Tuesday October 29 2013 at 20:29
sid@ thanks for a nice reply for once,sadly I keep getting insults for being a tory,anyway sid topsey and tim were after janet and john,i cant really remember too much about janet and john,were there a good read?

Reply Posted by guesty mcguest on Tuesday October 29 2013 at 20:15
/well Im for it so where can I protest against the protest?

Reply Posted by rainbow on Wednesday October 30 2013 at 10:18
I notice our MP's are are keeping quiet over this issue? Will they be backing Sir Steve and his cronies or the public??

Reply Posted by Dave on Wednesday October 30 2013 at 13:02
The library is an attractive well-used, purpose-built building. If we lose it, I don't believe we will get anything as good again. That's why we need to fight to keep the one we have got. I've signed the petition and I will be going to the meeting.

Reply Posted by ray on Wednesday October 30 2013 at 17:01
Attractive in what sense? It looks 70s prefab concrete stuck on the end of a row of prefab concrete shops that are derelict, run down and an eysore.

I would have thought that the council will be looking to get some funding from some european pot to fund the new one.

I want the new sixth form my kids are going to be going there in a couple of years hopefully and I dont want them in the same horrid building I had to use.

Reply Posted by George Arthur on Wednesday October 30 2013 at 15:02
The threatened demolition of Central Library and relocating to an unsuitable building is another example of leading politicians thinking that they are the only people that have ideas. They think the rest of us should not have a say in how important facilities in our town should be developed.
No consultation has been offered on this at all. It is just like the HS2 fiasco - the rest of us are meant to suffer the follies of a few 'mighty leaders'.
But if we campaign together we can stop this!

Reply Posted by g on Friday November 1 2013 at 16:08
I don't want to protest against progress thanks, we aren't losing an important bit of heritage, we're having a library moved.

Reply Posted by Gloit on Friday November 1 2013 at 01:08
The future is digital. We don't need a stuffy old staffed building holding old books anymore. It all costs too much. Take it away and make way for the new. Ten years from now we look back and appreciate what libraries did but laugh at their limitations. Barnsley needs to move on and get with the digital age. As for "meeting up" We'll all meet up at whatever else they build there. If it makes the place and the terrible buildings around it look as good as the town hall does now, let's have more of it. People once said "No!" to the motor car and yes to the horse and cart, they said Yes to the radio and No to television. The times my friends... They are a changing.

Reply Posted by Kate on Friday November 1 2013 at 18:07
We love taking our youngest daughter on a Monday to the singing session she is only 1 and we go every week and have done since she was 3 months old ... We hope to be there tomorrow to support those trying to stop this ... The library staff are amazing and as a standalone building why can't it be kept

Reply Posted by ray on Friday November 1 2013 at 18:11
Singing lesson in a library, thst says it all!

Get it down and get the new sixth form up you can sing in wellington house.

Reply Posted by Kate on Friday November 1 2013 at 20:40
Ray did I say singing lessons ... No ... The sessions encourage parents to take their children to the library the singing is nursery rhymes which are an ideal way to teach language and counting . Why can the college not incorporate an existing purpose built library . We have an excellent resource which is going to be shipped out and where us there room to build a new one ??? And just out of curiosity to those defending this how often do you visit the library and make use of the resources ??

Reply Posted by ray on Monday November 4 2013 at 15:25
Kate,

Never but I recognise the need and benefit for a top quality sixth form college in barnsley.

As pointed out below Wellington House is a much nicer building. You can still go to your singing sessions there, although Im quite sure Libraries traditionally are quiet places to study but what do I know.

Reply Posted by kathy on Friday November 1 2013 at 20:44
I love the library,great place to go when you get caught out by the rain,

Reply Posted by Miss.N on Sunday November 3 2013 at 10:51
Kate, they are planning on moving it to Wellington house which will be easier to access for people and is a nicer building. The existing monstrosity is going to be pulled down and be the site of the Sixth Form (aka Eastgate) which is a horrid building too. I really don't see the problem - making town look nicer with modern architecture AND keeping the library whilst providing better facilities for education? Seems alright to me!

Reply Posted by Domino on Friday November 8 2013 at 16:39
The so-called Sixth Form College is no such thing. It is an A Level centre run by Barnsley College, a General Further Education College known locally as "The Tech". The current Eastgate site, which is currently too small, mainly houses Humanities subjects. Science, maths and some social sciences operate from the new purpose-built SciTech building, which, if the proposed college building is to house 800 students( i.e. all the A Level students), will obviously be closed (demolished?). Another shocking waste of public money.
Shambles St is noisy and traffic-ridden, totally unsuitable for an educational establishment. Two other sites were identified by the College- the one on the Court House Car Park right next to the other College buildings would appear to be the most obviously suitable.
Whether the college will be able to expand from the current 800 students to the claimed figure of 1100 is also open to question. It would require an earth-shattering 33% increase in the number of 16 year olds gaining 5 A-C grades in Barnsley schools - or an influx from outside the Borough. The latter is very unlikely as there will be increasing competition for A Level students in the future. A new "free" real Sixth Form College is opening in Chapeltown next year and is already recruiting from Barnsley Schools. As more 11-16 schools in the Borough become "free" academies, like the old Elmhirst School, they all also be able to open sixth forms.
So the library building is to be demolished for a highly dubious Barnsley College project. Unless our Council leaders have a hidden agenda, of course? Several Councillors have told me that the library will eventually end up the Civic, which is losing money hand over fist and is unsustainable in the present financial climate. In the meantime the library users and their children will have to put up with a building that was unfit for Social Services (currently in the Gateway Plaza).
Thanks, Sir Geoff, you are rapidly tuning into the Tony Blair of Barnsley.

Reply Posted by Domino on Friday November 8 2013 at 17:07
Of course I meant Sir Steve. Must have been thinking of the former leader of the Council, Geoff Ennis!