'Significant Failures' Found In Inquest

Wednesday October 30 2013

We Are Barnsley We Are Barnsley

'SIGNIFICANT failures' were made by a Barnsley GP whose patient died days after having a heart attack.

Coroner Chris Dorries said the failures meant Gary Newsome's condition wasn't diagnosed at a time when his life was likely to be saved by hospital treatment.

An inquest ruled Dr John Harban, a GP of 23 years' experience, had made failures during a consultation with Gary days before his death.

Gary, 50, who was overweight, smoked and suffered from diabetes, allegedly told the doctor he was suffering from chest pains.

The coroner said there was insufficiency both of enquiry of the patient and of examining him during the consultation.

In particular, he said there was no questioning as to whether the shortness of breath was accompanied by chest pain.

Mr Dorries said he realised Gary was a patient with 'very high risk factors' for coronary disease and this was his first presentation of shortness of breath.

"I would wish to make clear that I do not doubt that Dr Harban was seeking to do his best for Mr Newsome on July 15, 2011, but the clear evidence of the experts was that important things were not done that should have been done.

"On the basis of expert evidence there were significant failures during this consultation. In consequence Mr Newsome's condition wasn't diagnosed at a time when his life was likely to be saved by hospital treatment."

Gary, of Hartington Drive, Honeywell, had been to see Dr Harban, who works at Lundwood Medical Centre and went into the consultation room with his brother Allan, who said Gary was complaining of chest pains and being out of breath.

Dr Harban said he thought his patient was starting with a viral illness, and a developing condition, an obstruction of the airways from the amount of cigarettes he was smoking.

He said he examined Gary on what he was told and sent him home without any treatment.

He was found dead at home on July 19.

The cause of death was a heart attack which had happened between three and seven days prior to his death.

The inquest also revealed how notes were backdated following a telephone consultation with Gary on Monday July 18.

Gary had phoned the surgery on July 18 and a note was made by the receptionist saying he couldn't breathe and had had chest pains since last Thursday.

Mr Dorries said he intends to advise NHS England of the issues surrounding note keeping for the consultations.

Gary's sister, Janet Asquith said Gary's death has 'cut the family to the core'.

Janet says she wants Dr Harban struck off and says the family is complaining to the General Medical Council.

A spokesman for the Medical Defence Union said Dr Harban could not comment due to patient confidentiality.

Reply Posted by mb on Wednesday October 30 2013 at 10:39
I aint no expert but surely as a dr's receptionist if someone rings up saying thay have chest pains and are strugleing to breath then you tell them to come in to see the doc now or go to the hospital. Like i said im no expert but its kinda comman sence that int it

Reply Posted by mo on Wednesday October 30 2013 at 15:49
trouble is he runs 3 surgery's twice a day so you cannot just go to see him unless you track where he is and when

Reply Posted by red robin on Wednesday October 30 2013 at 12:24
Has anyone noticed how many patients have voted with their feet from this Dr?.Maybe the medical council should take note of this.

Reply Posted by ex Harban patient on Wednesday October 30 2013 at 12:53
When I was a patient at Monk Bretton I made sure if I needed to see a GP I went in on his days off. His manner was abrupt and dismissive to say the least. I know I'm not the only one who did this.

Reply Posted by Another x patient on Wednesday October 30 2013 at 15:33
This man did my husbands carpal tunnel op and he made a complete mess. When we went to claim compensation there were no notes of him even having this proceedure dun. However these are legal documents

Reply Posted by Jo on Wednesday October 30 2013 at 20:46
When I moved to the area I was warned not to register with this dr, all I ever hear are bad reports! I can't understand how he is still practising and why anyone chooses to have him as their doctor?!?!

Reply Posted by .. on Friday November 1 2013 at 08:44
He mis diagnosed my partners grandpa for 2years sayin he had a chest infection which was completely wrong it eventually got found out (thanks to a locum dr) that he has cancer which (because it was diagnosed so late) is now terminal!he also told me my 10week old baby had nothing qrong with him n i was exagerating with him being ai young, 4hours later he was in hoapital being treated for bronchitus! Never met a doctor as inadequate as him. Refuses to give medication, contraception or any help at all.

Reply Posted by Another ex ex patient on Friday November 1 2013 at 08:45
I went to see harban with a large mole on my neck which bled. He didnt like me and i never liked him but he cut out the mole. The nurse sed rnt u going to stitch that its a deep hole harban sed no stick something over it. I left and had bad pain from the minor surgery. Idont blame this mans family wantin him struck off

Reply Posted by Donn on Saturday November 2 2013 at 12:50
I never felt comfortable whenever I went in to see Dr Harban, his manner was abrupt and attitude was terrible, I went in to see him for something to help me sleep as my mum was terminally ill and his advice, 'well it's only going to get worse', not the response which helped back then, I have since changed to Dr Maters & although I don't go the the Doctors often, he is absolutely brilliant, as a doctor should be.

Reply Posted by Anon on Monday November 4 2013 at 09:24
Doesn't surprise me one bit.

Reply Posted by Not so clever Dr H on Monday November 4 2013 at 10:00
Hmmm how this idiot has managed to stay in his job with so many vulnerable peoples lives in his hands is beyond me. £100k a year for what exactly??

Reply Posted by Caroline on Monday November 4 2013 at 10:00
I've recently moved to a different surgery after reading all of this, this man should be struck off!!

Reply Posted by Grrrrr on Monday November 4 2013 at 10:06
This man should not be allowed to treat anyone. The problem with him is he has no empathy. Something I am sure u need as a GP. I went to him for 5/6 years complaining of pains in my stomach. His response was to tell me I was hormonal and send me on my way. In April I moved surgeries my new GP was willing to send me for test. I am now on medication and I'm having an operation this week to correct my problem. Something I would not be doing if I was still under this negligent doctor.
I also have heard about people getting sick notes in return for bottles of brandy!! Suppose it's ok if your face fits!

Reply Posted by Kaye on Friday November 8 2013 at 12:56
This article is about my uncle, all your comments are a great support in helping us fight in making Dr Harban pay for what he did.

Thank you everyone, please keep commenting and show your support and hopefully Dr Harban will be held accountable

Reply Posted by jackson jones on Wednesday April 30 2014 at 17:45
Doctor Fitness to Practise Details
Results of search on: 29 Apr 2014 at 21:26:03. The details shown are valid at the date and time of the search only.
GMC Reference Number
Status
Registered with a licence to practise; this doctor is on the GP Register
This doctor has conditions

Conditions on the doctor's registration
From To Condition
14 Apr 2014 13 Jul 2015
1. He must notify the GMC promptly of any post he accepts for which registration with the GMC is required and provide the contact details of his employer [and the NHS England Area Team on whose Medical Performers List he is included, or the local Health Board/Health & Social Care Board if employed in Scotland, Wales or Northern Ireland].
Details
2. He must allow the GMC to exchange information with his employer or any contracting body for which he provides medical services.
3. He must inform the GMC of any formal disciplinary proceedings taken against him, from the date of this determination.
4. He must inform the GMC if he applies for medical employment outside the UK.
5. a. He must confine his medical practice to general practice posts, where his work will be supervised by a named GP. (See glossary for definition) b. He must seek a report from his supervisor for consideration by this Panel, prior to any review hearing of this Panel.

Reply Posted by jackson jones on Tuesday April 29 2014 at 21:27
Registered with a licence to practise; this doctor is on the GP Register
This doctor has conditions

Conditions on the doctor's registration
From To Condition
14 Apr 2014 13 Jul 2015
Details
4. He must inform the GMC if he applies for medical employment outside the UK.
6. He must inform the following parties that his registration is subject to the conditions, listed at (1) to (5), above: a. Any organisation or person employing or contracting with him to undertake medical work b. Any locum agency or out-of-hours service he is registered with or applies to be registered with (at the time of application) c. In the case of locum appointments, his immediate line manager at his place of work (at least 24 hours before starting work) d. Any prospective employer or contracting body (at the time of application) e. The NHS England Area Team on whose Medical Performers List he is included, or seeking inclusion (at the time of application), or the local Health Board/Health & Social Care Board if employed in Scotland, Wales or Northern Ireland.

Reply Posted by Former patient on Thursday September 10 2015 at 17:45
We as a family were registered under Dr Harban when we lived in cudworth and let's just say if I hadn't used my mothers instinct then my 11 year old son would not be here today!