Ice Rink Plan Revealed For Barnsley

Sunday January 1 2012

A BARNSLEY man has unveiled plans to create a brand new ice rink for his home town.

Ice hockey fan James Drinkall - who plays for Sheffield Ice Tigers recreational ice hockey team - is trying to push through plans for an ice arena that would offer everything from ice hockey to figure skating.

He said: "It would be a fantastic opportunity for the town to develop one of the old buildings like Gala Bingo near Morrisons. It would also put us on the map for sports fans."

James says he has already got interest from developers and the project is expected to cost £800,000 - which could be partially paid from grants from organisations like Sport England and the Coalfields Regeneration Trust.

Mahmood Azam, spokesman for Barnsley Council, said: "This is the first time an ice rink (real ice) proposal has come forward and although there is no existing identified strategic need for an ice rink in Barnsley, the proposal could assist with increasing participation in sport and active recreation.

"The Council could play a role in supporting the identification of any suitable sites that meet the requriements of the developer, but such a facility would have to wholly privately financed and commercially delivered."

Reply Posted by Inmyopinion on Sunday January 1 2012 at 11:53
the last fake ice was not widely used so why would this one be, would not bother wasting my money

Reply Posted by caitlin, on Sunday January 1 2012 at 12:41
zero ice, was used; i had my skating lessons there, and it would save people travelling to sheffield to go ice skating

Reply Posted by Louise Harper on Sunday January 1 2012 at 12:48
It would b e so cool to have ice ring in town. I want to get back into it and then can start figure skating lessons

Reply Posted by Brighteyes_uk on Sunday January 1 2012 at 12:48
If you read it says real ice not fake like zero ice. I think more people would use a real ice ice rink.

Reply Posted by Bevparr on Sunday January 1 2012 at 12:50
Good idea, hate having to go all the way to Doncaster

Reply Posted by Akamykilner on Sunday January 1 2012 at 12:55
I think its a brill idea zero ice wa the fake stuff so wasn't as good it wud save ppl having t go t shef or donny t go ice skating i for 1 wud use it quite frequently t take my daughter as its in r own town ad I don't av personal transport t get there as n when she wants t go

Reply Posted by christine on Sunday January 1 2012 at 13:02
fab idea i used to love going ice skating as a kid in my hometown and would love to take my girls but dont have a car or the finances to travel out of town to go fingers crossed it comes off

Reply Posted by Laura Taylor on Sunday January 1 2012 at 13:08
brill idea, my daughter loves iceskating

Reply Posted by Emface on Sunday January 1 2012 at 13:15
This would be awesome. A proper ice rink in town rather than having to travel further afield. Would open up lots of exciting opportunities for children in barnsley - sporting events ice hockey/figure skating even just weekends spent going round in circles. Birthday parties could be closer to home.

Reply Posted by Guest on Sunday January 1 2012 at 13:17
I would definately go! Love ice skating!

Reply Posted by Julia_r on Sunday January 1 2012 at 13:21
this would be brilliant, we would definitely go.

Reply Posted by Djvirus82 on Sunday January 1 2012 at 20:26
brill idea, been wanting to get back into playing ice hockey!! bring it on!!

Reply Posted by Nicnev11 on Tuesday January 3 2012 at 10:46
brill idea i love skating n it wud b easier to take kids instead of tryin to get to sheff or doncaster!!

Reply Posted by Sinead on Tuesday January 3 2012 at 12:58
fantastic. my daughter is dying to go ice skating. would definately bring her

Reply Posted by angie on Tuesday January 3 2012 at 17:26
that would be brill. we go ice skating but we go to sheffield.

Reply Posted by Janicegiles on Tuesday January 3 2012 at 21:24
brill news that they the council shut the other and its still empty kids loved it barnsley council will show interest if it dosnt cost them ought

Reply Posted by katie on Wednesday January 4 2012 at 21:27
just read this what an excellent idea I would definetley go if one opened up. Never had the opportunity to go to the zero ice but used to love going to donny dome n sheffield as a kid but too far to travel now with all the travel costs. It would also be potentially good for local businesses from the ice rink customers etc.

Reply Posted by Funky_jess101 on Tuesday January 10 2012 at 17:38
Actually it was very popular i did 4 ice comps there and became a very talented figure skater i now go on to be pro, i think it would be great!!

Reply Posted by on Monday January 16 2012 at 12:40
I would love an ice rink in Barnsley as to learn to ice skate is on my 'bucket list' and I would love to get my Grandchildren interested in skating.  It is such a graceful skill.

Reply Posted by David Andrew Bull on Monday February 13 2012 at 10:45
We could have a Barnsley Ice Hockey team, it would be amazing

Reply Posted by dan123 on Sunday February 19 2012 at 22:50
they should turn zero ice into an indoor skatepark!

Reply Posted by Lizzie on Sunday April 15 2012 at 17:21
it would be right good if there was an ice rink in Barnsley I wouldn't have to go all the way to Sheffield

Reply Posted by bill and bob on Sunday April 15 2012 at 17:42
it would be better than the plastic rubbish

Reply Posted by Hannah on Tuesday August 14 2012 at 21:52
An ice skating rink in Barnsley would be AMAZING. It would defiantly need to be real ice though as the ice at zero Ice was sinthetic and despite trying it it was too expensive for a small sinthetic ice rink. An ice rink in Barnsley would be a really good thing to build in Barnsley which I would regularly use. :) fingers cross one gets built!! X

Reply Posted by mary brown on Sunday January 6 2013 at 19:34
My grand daughter was visiting me we went to tbe silverblades rink in Widnes cheshire. It was packed with people overjoyed at being able to ice skate on real Ice.
My granddaughter lives in CARLTON BARNSLEY she would love to take skating up as a hobby this new venue would keep children off the streets and off the computer games for a couple of hours.

Reply Posted by P Brown on Monday January 7 2013 at 18:08
An real ice rink is a great idea and if set up properly , with thought for the future and how it could grow. they have not changed since I was a kid , Visited the new Silverblades in Widnes at the weekend, not big enough in every way , rink too small, not enough seating for people watching and if seated could not watch skating, should be at least a separate rink for family's and beginners. And how many times can anyone want to go round a rink , all that young energy going around and around. NO activities, cost of family outing. Could go on and on. BEST OF LUCK, LOOK FORWARD TO TAKING MY FAMILY