Barnsley Has Above Average Cervical Cancer Death Rate

Tuesday November 12 2013

We Are Barnsley We Are Barnsley

BARNSLEY has a higher death rate from cervical cancer than the national average.

The latest figures from Public Health show the death rate from cervical cancer was 4.45 per cent - compared to the national average of 2.24 per cent.

There were 19 deaths from cervical cancer during 2008-2010 and 16 of those deaths were women under the age of 75.

Sharon Stoltz, acting director of Public Health, said: "Our figures are higher than the national average, but it doesn't mean Barnsley has the highest number of deaths from cervical cancer in the country.

"Cervical cancer is a fairly common cancer in women. Not all cancers can be prevented but cervical cancer is one of those women can be protected from by being vaccinated."

She said there would be a focus on getting girls aged 12-13 to complete the human papillomavirus vaccine (HPV) programme, which helps lower women's chances of getting cancer.

HPV is a sexually transmitted virus that causes 99 per cent of invasive cervical cancers.

In 2011, 90 per cent of eligible girls in Barnsley received the vaccination, but Sharon said there were three stages to it and that led to some girls only having the first or second course.

She added: "It's one of the really important cancer prevention measures. If all young girls took up the HPV vaccination and completed the course as well as going for regular smear tests we should be able to reduce the number of deaths from cervical cancer in Barnsley."

Reply Posted by hunnybunny on Tuesday November 12 2013 at 17:46
If the HPV is sexually transmitted then surely safe sex should be pushed as well as healthy diets and exercise. This is very troubling in saying that Barnsley has nearly double the National average, whats happening with Barnsley women that's not happening everywhere else?!

Reply Posted by jill on Tuesday November 12 2013 at 17:51
@hunnybunny,I believe our women are no different to any others. It seems to me that it could very well be the early diagnosis at hospital that's at fault. Being sent home as chronically ill as when you went in is a starting point.

Reply Posted by hunnybunny on Tuesday November 12 2013 at 18:06
True Jill, I do see where your'e coming from. I myself have experienced cervical cancer (and other types) within my close family but it ALL can't be down to failings of GP's and Hospitals in misdiagnosis, there has to be other contributing factors. Unfortunately an average age for women having cervical cancer was'nt disclosed which could shed a little light onto what these factors may be. It does worry me very much that its a sexually transmitted virus, unfortunately safe sex seems to be a thing of the past.

Reply Posted by LV on Tuesday November 12 2013 at 20:30
You're entirely right, HPV is sexually transmitted, but people are happy having unprotected sex knowingly risking common STIs that can can infertility if left undiagnosed, as well as Herpes and HIV. People know the risks - telling them it can cause cancer as well won't make them think twice, it's the whole 'it can't happen to me' mindset. I'm not sure that there are any tests men can have to check whether or not they are carriers, but men can also fall prey to HPV which can cause throat cancer as well!

Reply Posted by jill on Tuesday November 12 2013 at 17:46
As I understand this type of cancer,its often well advanced before its diagnosed. Therefore I am not surprised Barnsley has a high rate of deaths from it. Just recently my daughter in law was sent to hospital via her Gp. After 4 days she was sent home and in the same pain as she went in. My son asked why she was being discharged,and was told they needed the bed! Why another patient was more important we don't know! She left with packets of painkillers and a promise that further tests would be done urgently. She received an appointment for 8 weeks after her discharge! If that's urgent it simply isn't good enough! They had no idea what was wrong? Cancer? Hemorrhage? Ulcer? My point is while people are being sent home really I'll,to the point of being in bed for a further 8 days,then Barnsley people are getting treat appallingly and people are losing their lives! I'm still furious,we could, for all they care have had a death and two children without a mother!! Disgusting!

Reply Posted by Laura on Tuesday November 12 2013 at 18:21
Well this IS worrying. If 99% of cervical cancers are caused by a sexually transmitted virus, then are men able to be tested as carriers? There seems to be a push on getting young people (both male and female) tested for Chlamydia these days, what about for HPV?

Reply Posted by hunnybunny on Tuesday November 12 2013 at 18:43
I agree with you Laura, if this is the case whats to stop HPV from spreading quicker. There seems to be a lot of STD and viruses, Safe sex really needs to be brought back into the fore front of everyones minds, people need to be careful of casual sex with multiple partners.

Reply Posted by concerned on Tuesday November 12 2013 at 20:36
HPV is a sexually transmitted disease not an infection it cannot be treated and there are no signs or symptoms and it now is only detected on an abnormal smear.It cannot be treated as it is a virus the immune system deals with it and gets rid of it.You can have one partner or multiple partners.Using condoms does not 100% protect against the virus as it can spread via skin to skin contact,it is also common in smokers as the immune system is compromised.
Smear test do not identify cancer it identifies abnormal cells that change on the cervix any abnormal symptoms of the cervix should be investigated in a Colposcopy unit.
There should be more education about HPV and cervical cancer

Reply Posted by lauren on Tuesday November 12 2013 at 21:36
You could go to bed with out any type of cancer get up in the mornin and boom u could have cancer it happen to a member in my family one minute she healthy happy full of life n energy 10 days before Christmas I was at her funeral all women need to take care ov themselves get plenty of check ups and read into the disease n jus basically look after yourselves

Reply Posted by rach on Sunday November 17 2013 at 13:59
Luckily bdgh and the doctors i go to test you for hpv during your smears so you have an idea what could be causing abnormal cells. The consultant at the colposcopy clinic said unless u live like a nun you will most likely come in to contact with hpv in your life. Condoms dont protect you from hpv x

Reply Posted by concerned on Sunday November 17 2013 at 14:42
I recently tried to book a smear test and was told that they are now done by the nurse and that she couldn't do it as she was doing flu jabs. I can only go around work so I asked if it could be done by a doctor. No. Only the nurse and only at specified times which are during work hours. I had to make an appointment at the family planning clinic despite my doctor having two surgeries. The test can not be carried out during menstruation so as a woman in pre menopause, it is very difficult to know when I make an appointment weeks in advance, which I had to do at the clinic, whether I will be able to have the test. I have had to cancel two which means that I am now three months overdue and they are only done every five years as it is. Perhaps if our Doctor's would be willing to complete the test, this would not be an issue.

Reply Posted by rach on Sunday November 17 2013 at 16:55
I feel lucky that my doctors have a well woman clinic every week to do them. I owe my doctors so much. They were really accomodating and forward thinking. Always had mine carried out by a doctor x