More Food Banks Set To Come To Barnsley

Monday October 21 2013

Gateway Church food bank Gateway Church food bank

MORE food banks are set to be started across Barnsley.

Following on from successful projects at Gateway Church and Cudworth Library, the Barnsley Foodbank Partnership is an entirely new entity which has opened two more in the town.

Their main storage hub is in Blacker Hill, where they have approximately 2.5 tonnes of food stored and ready to be distributed to those in need.

Operating out of two venues, the venture has been in the pipeline for 12 months. Hope House on Blucher Street has been open for around a month now and has already seen scores of people through its doors, opening once a week. The Salvation Army building in Wombwell opens twice a week.

Alan Rouane, 32, the project's co-ordinator, said: "There's such a big need for this in the town, we've barely scratched the surface. We get a massive mixture of people who have never been in this situation before.

"It's eye-opening as there's been a massive reaction - we were fully booked in Hope House last week.

"We've got around 2.5 tonnes of food stored and that's come from the generous public, schools' harvest festivals and church groups."

The steering group behind the project is made up of people from the NHS, Voluntary Action Barnsley, the council, churches and the Credit Union. It works on a referral basis and has nine referring agencies, set to be expanded as the demand grows.

"We're stocked up on staple foods," Alan added. "We'd like more volunteers and more donations as it's a big problem that needs addressing. Whether it's vegetables, rice, pasta or fruit, every little helps."

MP Michael Dugher, whose Barnsley East constituency saw its first food bank open on September 20 at Cudworth Library, said: "Volunteers' compassion and community spirit is truly inspirational, but it's absolutely shameful that in the seventh richest country in the world we have to open food banks in Barnsley to help people feed their families."

The alarming number of people relying on food banks to survive has tripled in the country over the last year.

The Trussell Trust, which runs 400 food banks across the UK, said it handed out supplies to more than 350,000 people between April and September this year.

They said the problem was so severe that some people using food banks have started to hand back items that need cooking, as they cannot afford to use the energy.

"The level of food poverty in the UK is not acceptable," said Chris Mould, the Trust's executive chairman. "It's scandalous and it's causing deep distress to thousands of people."

Reply Posted by Al on Monday October 21 2013 at 13:12
People's chance to change the world one selfless act at a time.
Doesn't take much to help others in need

Reply Posted by Ali on Monday October 21 2013 at 13:22
A chance for people to spend more on drugs than food

Reply Posted by mr khan here on Monday October 21 2013 at 13:48
my name is mr khan,local cornershop owner,proud of serving Barnsley for 40years,@ali do not give us foriegners a bad name by your rude comments,me and all my family are proud to donate to the foodbanks,

Reply Posted by yawn on Monday October 21 2013 at 13:30
A chance for ali to post tory rhetoric

Reply Posted by Pj on Monday October 21 2013 at 13:36
I work voluntary for a food bank and to get a parcel isn't that easy also only allowed 3 parcels a year it's a sad world when people have to have vouchers to eat ! Come down to one of the banks and u will realise people are desperate and very thankful for the food they get walk in there shoes and then u can comment !

Reply Posted by anon on Monday October 21 2013 at 14:00
wunder how many ppl using the food banks r still buyin drugs, alcohol and cigs etc makes me laff how they can't afford food but can afford those luxuries it's a great thing the food banks but I can't help feel they will b massively abused by these kids of ppl

Reply Posted by Al on Monday October 21 2013 at 14:01
@mr khan. You should be proud! There are so many that have their own words but don't put into practice what they preach. You and your family are welcomed in this country and don't let anyone tell you different.

Reply Posted by yawn on Monday October 21 2013 at 14:13
Ali & anon too stupid for words

Reply Posted by mr khan here on Monday October 21 2013 at 14:15
@ali.this is my own country,being serving Barnsley for 40years,paying tax and working bloody hard,you don,t know anything about life,not all lazy people don't work,some are very unfortunate to be unfit to work,,ali you could do some good and help out at a foodbank,mr khan & family

Reply Posted by Ali on Monday October 21 2013 at 14:16
Nice little read mr khan

Reply Posted by Pj on Monday October 21 2013 at 14:37
Ali it's your comments and ignorance that gives us a bad name ...life isn't that straight forward it's very easy to comment on issues when in reality u know nothing about ! Some people wish to help others who are having a bad time stop being negative to people who make a difference without these people this world would be harder for a lot more !

Reply Posted by anon on Monday October 21 2013 at 14:37
@yawn. ur sooooo erm yawn if u guna comment least make it about the subject instead of others opinions on the subject I am entitled to MY opinion n in MY opinion the ppl iv seen use the food banks r druggies n alco's n just a few genuin ppl who really need it so don't diss my opinion at least it's valid

Reply Posted by Pj on Monday October 21 2013 at 14:42
valid in what way anon have u worked in a food bank and no the process of getting a food voucher ?

Reply Posted by anon on Monday October 21 2013 at 14:46
i am on 1 benefit . i struggle but i have to manage.don't get dla.mobility,child tax only esa. some are receiving all of these and will be taking off the most needy which makes my blood boil.well done mr khan u have lived here 40 yrs which should make u a british citizen, not like you're an asylum seeker.

Reply Posted by mr khan here on Monday October 21 2013 at 14:48
@anon,some people think there know everything,sadly you are wrong,alot of the OAPS use foodbanks,this town is trying to do the right thing by making sure everybody has food,stop fighting against the foodbanks and unite together,you never know when you may need help,,mr khan serving Barnsley for 40yrs,

Reply Posted by anon on Monday October 21 2013 at 14:50
my opinion is valid as I know a few ppl who av used these food banks yes they are a great help for genuin ppl who really need it I always donate food, clothes etc to worthy causes wat I am saying thou is the ppl I no that have used it r crack Ed's n smack eds FACT n yes I do no the av gotta go see a social/key worker who then has to refer the to the food bank etc etc

Reply Posted by Pj on Monday October 21 2013 at 14:55
Like I said earlier I work for a food bank and also work and have never claimed a penny from the tax payer I'm from a family of workers if u can walk u can work ethic ! I help others as everyone sometime in there lives have a bad time ! Got to look at the whole picture yes people think others don't deserve food parcels as squander money on drink drugs etc but if a food package (which isn't a lot ) feeds their children my time isn't wasted !

Reply Posted by anon on Monday October 21 2013 at 15:00
I do work luckily I own my own business and I am very genourous person who will bend over bk wards to help ppl if u read all my comments apart from the other anon commenting on here not me lol u will see that I said they are a great thing but do feel they will b hugely abused by some ppl wats wrong with my opinion if u was donating to the food bank I would dread to think my donations were goin to junkies and not the less fortunate

Reply Posted by Pj on Monday October 21 2013 at 15:10
It's confusing with two anon commenting lol of course your opinion is valid and understand the way of thinking does the person really deserve a parcel but who is to judge ! It's a mine field but at the end of the day we all deserve to eat on that note work for me :-)

Reply Posted by anon on Monday October 21 2013 at 15:23
ur right every1 as the right to eat like every1 is entitled to there opinion x

Reply Posted by Pj on Monday October 21 2013 at 15:28
Agree anon everyone has there own opinion nobody is right or wrong we have r own view ! boring world if not x

Reply Posted by anon on Monday October 21 2013 at 15:47
so tru pj lol x

Reply Posted by mr khan here on Monday October 21 2013 at 16:02
@pj & anon.nice to see you two WABers finally agree/compromise with each other,the place is just a beautiful place for 1 big happy family to all share..mr khan serving Barnsley for over 40yrs,,mr khan and family..

Reply Posted by barnsley bob on Monday October 21 2013 at 21:16
who is to blame for all those who cant afford food because some penpusher in the dole stops their money.these goverment lackeys are told to punished people by biggest scroungers,the tory goverment .get the tories out,they are destroying our country.

Reply Posted by kilkenny on Monday October 21 2013 at 23:48
Pj - that is really great that you work for a foodbank. Good on you. Are all foodbanks run by the Trussel Trust ?(might have spelt that wrong!).

Personally I think we should bring back old style domestic science lessons in schools. Then young people can learn to make a meal from scratch. Pj you should write up some receipes on pieces of card. You could suggest cheap but wholesome meals. I have been skint before and have visited my local market and got fruit and veg cheap at the end of the day. Also Pj maybe you can find out the times the local supermarkets reduce food and tell your clients the time of day they do that. Last Friday I got a tray of roasting veg for 27p in Tesco. It was fine on the Saturday. I have bought stuff dead cheap in the Tesco on Wilthorpe Road too. A bag of apple pieces for 5p. Ideal for a kids lunchbox. 200g of fine green beans for 15p. They keepa day or three past sell by date. I wouldn't risk it with prawns you just have to use your sense.

Reply Posted by t hill on Tuesday October 22 2013 at 09:59
kilkenny..wilthorpe road,or Huddersfield road,was you on a day trip from London,,,,,funny how people lie on top of lies.

Reply Posted by kilkenny on Monday October 21 2013 at 23:51
Actually you have to get a referal to use a food bank. I don't think they are easy to get either.

Reply Posted by Pj on Tuesday October 22 2013 at 10:04
Good ideas about the recipe cards ...u r right about just getting a voucher through a referral it's not as easy as everyone thinks also a parcel for one person has on average 12 items just the basics the more people in the family just get a few extras on top of the 12 and a family or person can have 3 parcels a year it's just to help out in the hard times it's not a very regular handout ! Also supermarket do offer food going out of date that day but with food banks being open a few hours twice a week it couldn't be used as bank not open .. More are opening up so the demand is getting bigger thank god for donations large or small

Reply Posted by kilkenny on Tuesday October 22 2013 at 12:34
t hill - I was visiting family for a few days and I had offered to cook dinner for them. I went there to buy a few things and spotted them near the till so I thought they could go with the dinner.

You really need to get a life.

Reply Posted by mr khan on Saturday October 26 2013 at 18:19
please be coming to my little shop.me wife be makin bloody good curry.she got plente to be going round,so be bringing your hungry familes,oh yes goodness gracious me.mr khan serving barnsley people for the last 40 years

Reply Posted by mr khan here to sid, on Saturday October 26 2013 at 18:32
cant seem to get rid of the imposter..his grammer not upto much,big giveaway,just going to pray sid,pray for the sad imposter who can,t spell,chin up all you bloody WABers,mr khan will be back,serving Barnsley for over 40yrs,sid have a bloody drink for me,the flying stuff is great,,,

Reply Posted by sid on Saturday October 26 2013 at 18:51
no thank you mr khan.im off the juice since i started having conversations with myself.my doc says if i dont stop drinking he is going to refer me to rehab as im always drunk whenever i go see him.