Iconic Pub Set To Be Demolished

Tuesday October 22 2013

SAD news - an iconic Barnsley pub where Kes was filmed could be demolished within weeks.

The Dards in Cudworth closed its doors in April and its now ex-licensee Adele Sellars, 48, had her own bid for the pub rejected. She said she was worried the 'landmark' building could be knocked down.

Local lad Thomas Agus said he saw an opportunity for investment to develop the site and set up ATTA Properties Ltd with friend Andy Thompson.

Several parties have been interested in the land, Mr Agus said, ranging from bedsits to flats and a local shopping store.

He said there was little interest in reopening it as a pub.

"Before we decided to buy the property we did not want to see it be converted to bedsits, flats or a shopping centre.

"The building may look the same from the outside, but it would lose its soul.

"Therefore we decided the best option would be for the building to be demolished."

Reply Posted by burt on Tuesday October 22 2013 at 10:25
such ashame lovely building shouldnt be allowed to be demolished

Reply Posted by LOL on Saturday October 26 2013 at 13:28
Bart time,a reyht shite-house.

Reply Posted by debbie on Tuesday October 22 2013 at 11:37
looks like it could be sooner large fencing is already up.Such a shame its got to be knocked down

Reply Posted by sid on Tuesday October 22 2013 at 11:49
Things move on,but yes it's a shame. Did all my courting their,went to my first disco and saw a topless gogo! Haha. The price of booze from the supermarket s saw the pubs off, but I do miss the socialising. Carried on going to our local until the bitter end. Now four drinks and I'm a waste of space. Shame.

Reply Posted by Jamie on Tuesday October 22 2013 at 13:53
really sad news, makes my heart sink. I thought it was only a couple of years off being a listed building so wouldn't get the planning to knock it down. I thought it would make a good carvery pub like the cock and crown at wakey. it needed something to make it different as its not close enough for pub crawls anymore and the price of beer these days is rediculase so its no wonder people can't aford to go out. But to knock a nice building like that down and build some poxy flats is so wrong

Reply Posted by jamie on Tuesday October 22 2013 at 13:55
Ridicules - should have checked my spelling first

Reply Posted by jeff on Tuesday October 22 2013 at 14:27
@ Jamie... Was, ridiculous the word you were looking for?... I'd sack your spell checker, mi owd...
I heard Dards had become a bit of a rough ole', and unsavory activity was occurring there. Anyone know if this was true or just a malicious rumor?...

Reply Posted by sid on Tuesday October 22 2013 at 14:37
its true, the fish kept getting battered and the flipping spuds had a rite chip on thier shoulder.

Reply Posted by craig.. on Tuesday October 22 2013 at 14:48
killed it sid..

Reply Posted by Donna on Tuesday October 22 2013 at 15:02
Aw gutted! So many memories there. I agree with Jamie, a nice carvery pub would be a success there I think. If I had a licence and could cook I'd bid myself!! :)

Reply Posted by Jamie's mam on Tuesday October 22 2013 at 17:06
I have just seen the fence they have put up its like livening next to a scrap yard it's bad enough they are pulling a lovely building down they are adding insult to injury

Reply Posted by SALLY on Tuesday October 22 2013 at 18:17
Shame no one can get interested in re opening as the pub. spent a lot of happy nights in there ,although many years ago.

Reply Posted by Swifty on Tuesday October 22 2013 at 19:45
Just another working class institution being destroyed by greed breweries and Government taxes on price's.

Yes people attitude has changed towards drinking etc over the years. But they is also a great number of people that would like to pop to there local for a pint or two.

My last count on figures from CAMRA was 76 pubs were closing per week.

I'm sure this must be higher to date.

Reply Posted by Me on Tuesday October 22 2013 at 19:58
Still not willing to admit what is planned for the land though and no planning permission is on BMBC planning explorer. Why the secrets?

Reply Posted by sid on Tuesday October 22 2013 at 20:01
@me, surely the people that live opposite will know? What ever the plans are it will effect them.

Reply Posted by Me on Tuesday October 22 2013 at 20:03
No we don't

Reply Posted by sid on Tuesday October 22 2013 at 20:10
@me. The secrecy must be awful for you, it will be a worry. I really hope all goes well here and you and all around you don't end up with a fight on your hands. It really is unfair.

Reply Posted by me on Tuesday October 22 2013 at 20:21
It may be that they are advised to not say anything until the building has gone then there is less of an argument over what is being built in it's place.

Reply Posted by sid on Tuesday October 22 2013 at 20:27
That's what you are led to believe by their secrecy. Well, you know its not a mini supermarket,which to be fair, would be bad. You know its not going to be a food outlet. The best it can be for you is houses,but not flats. Hope all goes well whatever the outcome.

Reply Posted by me on Tuesday October 22 2013 at 20:30

Reply Posted by Swifty on Tuesday October 22 2013 at 21:03
When it comes to a building being knocked down or changed before demolition the council will be 95% sure what the planning will be before demolition.

Remember it is sometimes cheaper to do site clearance than try and adapt a building. This his due to recycle amounts to be made and future grants available to new developers.

Planning officers are, Very Very powerful individuals. You can not stop progress and alleged Brown Envelopes..

Reply Posted by Tony on Tuesday October 22 2013 at 22:21
Love the last bit ... saving the building's soul by knocking it down?

Reply Posted by mr khan here on Tuesday October 22 2013 at 22:30
oh goodness gracious me,no more shops,tesco express etc,we of Barnsley sould unite,stick together like a big happy family,,bloody hell,mr khan serving Barnsley for 40yrs and 1 day,

Reply Posted by james on Wednesday October 23 2013 at 13:47
It was a demolished as a pub when they started letting 14 and 15 year olds drink there. Some awful owners have ran it in to the ground, its a shame.

Reply Posted by lugole on Wednesday October 23 2013 at 14:03
when I first started drinking at 18 in 1986 the dards was a great pub but it went on a slippery slope and some rubbish owners let this once proud pub go to the dogs . we have some really successful pubs in Cudeth just look at the star , vic and westend , but I do agree that the price of drinks and cheap supermarket beers are also a part of the pub decline. Also I think Cudeth needs a pub like the cock and crown ie nice carvery a few beers then home

Reply Posted by observer on Wednesday October 23 2013 at 15:01
have to agree with jamies last comments. at the closing stages the landlord \ manager could \ should have looked after it better. as you rightly say, very young people were allowed in. he knows about ages under aged drinking. but he wouldn't turn money away. also the price of it ( the beer) was scandalous and nothing short of. so you could lay some blame at the hands of the last long term landlord \ manager.

Reply Posted by jonny b on Wednesday October 23 2013 at 19:03
Sad times :'( had some good times and got some great memorys

Reply Posted by Jules on Wednesday October 23 2013 at 20:37
I agree a good carvery is needed in this area rather than having to travel to Wakefield or other end of town. I also have had many good nights in the Dards but allowing under aged drinkers destroyed it! It was starting to pick up when Adele managed it and I was shocked to see it close. I hope they do something with it quickly because it looks a right eye sore now. I feel for the residents opposite. :-(

Reply Posted by adele on Friday October 25 2013 at 23:20
thank u for that llove i do miss it loads

Reply Posted by jamie on Wednesday October 23 2013 at 22:12
Thanks Jeff, nothing like making your self look daft twice on the trot is their lol. Can't believe they can just knock it down without asking local residents what they think though,It stinks. And Tony that bit about its soul got me too. How can you save it's soul by knocking it down ??? They should check their own soul. But if it wasn't them it would only be another money man to destroy it in the name of progress. If it is going to be flats though I see one problem. We already have 2 blocks of flats in cudworth and both sets have never been full since they were finished. The big block in lundwood have never all be sold either. Do we need more?

Reply Posted by char on Wednesday October 23 2013 at 22:12
What about the kestrels? arent they still nesting in it?

Reply Posted by Jamie's mam on Thursday October 24 2013 at 18:54
Yes they did nest this year we enjoy watching them feed the young then teaching them to fly

Reply Posted by mee on Thursday October 24 2013 at 19:41
sad time i enjoyed the memories working busy times with joy, dave etc fun working behind the bar and drinking other side many parties to remember

Reply Posted by gosh on Thursday October 24 2013 at 19:45
Gosh mee, don't think fun would ever be used in the same sentence as Dave an Joy. Never saw that myself.

Reply Posted by carol on Thursday October 24 2013 at 21:33
they carnt knock it down can they if there is kestrelsnesting in there ?

Reply Posted by sid on Thursday October 24 2013 at 21:39
Isn't kestrel a lager?

Reply Posted by mr khan here on Thursday October 24 2013 at 21:44
@sid.yes you bloody right my friend,got 4 cans on offer at the moment £2.49,be quick there flying of the shelve,,mr khan serving Barnsley for over 40yrs,

Reply Posted by sid on Thursday October 24 2013 at 21:49
Haha, Mr.khan. True salesman. Bet you shut shop in 10 mins so you can be up for yer paper round.

Reply Posted by mr khan here on Thursday October 24 2013 at 22:01
sid...my friend,close bloody shop at 11pm.open at 6am,if paperboys/girls don,t turn up,i will be doing my duties,the bloody shop turning into a WAB debate,bloody customers come and sit down,my lovely wife makes them all tea and takes bloody biscuits of the shelve for them,talking all about WAB and that bloody Barnsley bob,only problem is my friend,nobody buying bloody anything, but like I say this is a bloody friendly community,always here to help.thats me mr khan serving barnslet over 40yrs,

Reply Posted by necromancer on Thursday October 24 2013 at 22:06
oh mr khan i will have 2 pork pies and have one yourself.

Reply Posted by mr khan here on Thursday October 24 2013 at 22:11
thanks but I already at my tea,my wife made big roast beef dinner..yum yum,mr khan serving Barnsley over 40yrs

Reply Posted by sid on Thursday October 24 2013 at 22:16
well just got a phonecall from the the producer of emmerdale .im to appear on it,my part is playing the lost relative of the dingle family so will be abit busy rehearsing my lines.im going to on emmerdale ,still cant believe it myself.

Reply Posted by sid to mr.khan on Thursday October 24 2013 at 22:25
Some scroats spoilt our banter Mr.khan. they can't stand a bit of fun. Dirtbags

Reply Posted by mr khan here on Thursday October 24 2013 at 22:35
sid.......I was reading the post,and I thought bloody hell,sids grammer got poor,must be a bloody fake,not to worry sid,we will be back,,bigger and even bloody better,stay tuned,mr khan serving friendly Barnsley people for over 40yrs,

Reply Posted by sid on Thursday October 24 2013 at 22:40
Haha. Save me some of that kestrel.

Reply Posted by mr khan here to sid on Thursday October 24 2013 at 22:42
will do you a very special price,,mr khan serving Barnsley for over 40yrs,,

Reply Posted by sid on Thursday October 24 2013 at 22:31
mr khan i will ask the producer if he can find a part for you on emmerdale,maybe as the friend of the long lost relative of the dingles.

Reply Posted by sid on Thursday October 24 2013 at 22:40
oh dear the doctor said this might happen.ive started talking to myself.must be all the excitement of appearing in emmerdale.

Reply Posted by mary on Thursday October 24 2013 at 22:48
hello sid are you really going to be in emmerdale .i look forward to seeing you in it.

Reply Posted by emmerdale watcher on Thursday October 24 2013 at 22:54
sid when are you going to start appearing in emmerdale ,i love that programme and i love the dingle family.

Reply Posted by billy on Thursday October 24 2013 at 22:58
emmerdale witch.get a life what a crap soap,you sould start using soap instead of watching.....I smell youuuuuuuuuuu

Reply Posted by wow on Thursday October 24 2013 at 22:59
Dem dee dars a reyt good at pillackin are'nt de?

Reply Posted by sid on Thursday October 24 2013 at 23:00
yes ladies im going to star in emmerdale.

Reply Posted by sid on Thursday October 24 2013 at 23:15
i dont think i will be able to sleep tonight.im that excited about appearing on emmerdale.looking forward to meeting the dingle family.

Reply Posted by adeel on Monday November 4 2013 at 11:05
sad day to see dards come down pitty their not putting a new pub their a free house with food a lot of lovely people came in their that pub was just starting to turn round