Pingu To Switch On Town's Christmas Lights

Wednesday October 16 2013

Crowds set to gather in Barnsley for Christmas lights switch on Crowds set to gather in Barnsley for Christmas lights switch on

IT has been announced that Pingu the penguin will switch on the town’s Christmas lights on November 20.

Like last year’s event, the switch-on is aimed primarily at young families, but kids big and small are invited to join in the fun.

It will take place at the front of the Town Hall from 5pm, with Dearne FM playing all the Christmas classics to get people in the mood for the festive season.

Pingu will be joined by the Mayor of Barnsley, Cllr Ken Richardson and special guests (to be announced) to switch on the lights at 6pm, followed by a fireworks display.

There will also be children's rides in the town centre and late night shopping until 7.30pm and Experience Barnsley will also be staying open until 7.30pm.

What do you think? Have your say below.

Reply Posted by bob on Wednesday October 16 2013 at 15:34
Brilliant, love Pingu, bestest news ever.

Reply Posted by Troll Face on Wednesday October 16 2013 at 15:36
OMFG PINGUUUUUUUU!!!!! I LOVE THAT GUY

Reply Posted by mr x on Wednesday October 16 2013 at 15:42
Hahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha ahhahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha

Reply Posted by mr x on Wednesday October 16 2013 at 15:54
Cheaper to pay someone to put a kids character suite on then have a celebrity

Reply Posted by Gloit on Wednesday October 16 2013 at 15:54
Obviously it's not the real Pingu as he was an animated character from a swiss childrens programme and never was a real-life person. He'll be an even less real-life person when he turns the lights on. It'll just be some tatty herbert that usually sweeps up in the market earning a few extra quid by dressing up in some outfit on discounted hire from that place up Sheffield road. All he'll have to do is wave cos Pingu never spoke any english. I'll bet a fiver he's got a roll up under one wing and a can of Tennants super under the other.

Reply Posted by T on Wednesday October 16 2013 at 16:00
Yeah but look at that mug in the photo. Who in the right mind has a tattoo on their head? Mental.

Woo Pingu haha.

Reply Posted by sid on Wednesday October 16 2013 at 16:04
Flaming hell. What do you lot want? If the council had paid a celeb,there would be an out cry. Hopefully this has been organised with saving some money in mind!,
So its Pingu..so what...who would you rather? A z lister that costs 2 grand?
Moan moan flipping moan.

Reply Posted by bob on Wednesday October 16 2013 at 16:14
Gloit nooooo please don't say that. Pingu is coming to town, this the best thing EVER.

Reply Posted by rainbow on Wednesday October 16 2013 at 17:24
Will they be the same lights as we've had for the last 10 years or are we going to see something a bit more cheery than all those blue lights.. Something Christmassy, green, red, yellow ect, warmer colours.???

Reply Posted by LOL on Wednesday October 16 2013 at 17:28
I CANT BELIEVE ITS NOT BUTTER [HOW MUCH]

Reply Posted by as well on Wednesday October 16 2013 at 18:39
the fools back,CAP LOCK ON,never a true word said.

Reply Posted by sid on Wednesday October 16 2013 at 17:30
God rainbow,stop moaning......were skint!!!
They're fairy lights,they twinkle.......how old are you? Santa's not flipping real..just how can the council win on here. I flipping despair sometimes. Shurrup.!!!!!!

Reply Posted by bob on Wednesday October 16 2013 at 17:43
Sid nooooooo don't say that about Santa

Reply Posted by sid on Wednesday October 16 2013 at 20:15
Hey Bob, pingus not real either. Soz luv. Hahah.
They're both nice though,an they,ll do for me.

Reply Posted by Wot no X factor 6th place to do it? on Wednesday October 16 2013 at 18:18
Pingu will save our town! Pingu for mayor, arise Sir Pingu

Reply Posted by Richard on Wednesday October 16 2013 at 18:47
The Council are damned if they do and damned if they don't....why? Because they've made such a hash of things that they don't know how to please anybody (except themselves of course). They've messed up with everything, so there isn't any turkey this Christmas, unless you know someone to cut the tags off at Asda (due to ridiculous crime levels). Time for change, LABOUR OUT!

ps Pingu would probably do a better job than Cllr Roy and his muppets!

Reply Posted by Chico was busy on Wednesday October 16 2013 at 19:38
Pingu talks more sense than Richard

Reply Posted by bob on Wednesday October 16 2013 at 20:37
Sid noooo why why why.
It'll be easter bunny and tooth fairy next.

Reply Posted by sid on Wednesday October 16 2013 at 20:58
No Bob,theyr real. They live with Alice, in Wonderland. Haha

Reply Posted by mum of three on Wednesday October 16 2013 at 21:20
Think you all need to remember it's for the kids my little ones faces light up at events like this just be grateful for a change instead of finding fault

Reply Posted by sid on Wednesday October 16 2013 at 21:36
We just kidding each other on mum of three. I think its brilliant,fun and lovely for the kids.
I,all be taking mine too.

Reply Posted by bob on Thursday October 17 2013 at 09:07
Do stagecoach run service to wonderland? Mum if three I really do think this is brill. The only thing to spoil this is if the mayor turns up.

Reply Posted by Pingu on Thursday October 17 2013 at 10:51
Sorry I've had to cancel due to negative comments on here by the way I don't smoke and only drink water

Reply Posted by toby tyke on Thursday October 17 2013 at 10:57
Good! It shud be my gig any road. Gerrrarta Tarn.

Reply Posted by clanger on Thursday October 17 2013 at 11:11
I'm back I'll do it

Reply Posted by toby tyke on Thursday October 17 2013 at 11:15
Hooooohooooohoooo tha think thy r.....poking this long snout in.

Reply Posted by clanger on Thursday October 17 2013 at 11:24
I really need this not done owt for ages

Reply Posted by toby tyke on Thursday October 17 2013 at 11:28
Luk,al whistle if thar needed. An thar can tell that soup dragon to butt art an all.

Reply Posted by Jayne Kirk on Thursday October 17 2013 at 11:34
I think instead of all this crap they should look at having local worthy causes who need the publicity to switch on the lights. I vote for Willow Dog Rescue. It's a win- win all round . It doesn't cost the council anything and it gives fantastic people like these some valuable publicity and the council could be the first to set a caring example

Reply Posted by Toby tyke on Thursday October 17 2013 at 12:00
Gud idea Jayne am gunna need all,t yelp a can get, them sodding clangers and pingus ar tranna muscle in.
WILLOW DOGS TO THE RESCUE.

Reply Posted by Pingu on Thursday October 17 2013 at 11:37
Council just offered more money so am in see you all soon kids I know am loved in Barnsley think TT needs replacing like manager not doing much for REDS

Reply Posted by toby tyke on Thursday October 17 2013 at 11:55
Si thi nar Pingwho? At least av gorra job,wot duz thar do all day. Nowt same as them sodding clangers.
Tha just trana get thi feet under't table cos global warmins melted thi Pingloo. Goo an find sum uther fish ter fry. Keep thi beak arta my manor.
Grrrrrrrr.

Reply Posted by Pingu on Thursday October 17 2013 at 12:03
Just sat in sparrow park watching the world go by there's some strange folk in here you can't really be from Barnsley you spelt JOB properly bet you don't know what one is not be long before your in here with us happy days

Reply Posted by Toby Tyke on Thursday October 17 2013 at 12:16
@pingwho? just thar rayt manor sparrer park wi,t tuther jailbirds. Stop in theer,tharl get thi collar felt mi owd chappie. Tharl bi beggin wi all thi pals, an tharl be ...knok...knok..ing abart wi all,t rrrrufff uns.
Next time am up theer,al drop you a pressy in for yer doggy bag.

Reply Posted by Pingu on Thursday October 17 2013 at 13:11
Can you get me flickers autograph before he gets sack if you see him at training minddunt look like you do much training a quick jig round pitch and you have to sit down ( like half of team ). Nice talking anyway got to go signing on day then off to pub see you in weather spoons if you fancy a drink mines a mineral water No Ice can't stand the stuff

Reply Posted by toby tyke on Thursday October 17 2013 at 14:17
Call in at Iceland pingwho an getchersen sum fish fingers while thars art. An wen thar comes to turn leets on, mek a flipping gud job,an dunt gerrin a flap. I'm of walkies.

Reply Posted by IgglePiggle on Thursday October 17 2013 at 15:24
They offered me it first, I knocked em back

Reply Posted by toby tyke on Thursday October 17 2013 at 15:37
That's all I need, your lot. Tek yer iggle an shuv it up yer piggle. An tell that upsy daisy to keep off my pitch ors al be cocking me leg up on her an all.
Barnsley's my turf..end of.

Reply Posted by Dangermouse on Thursday October 17 2013 at 17:58
Can I turn them indian lights on then? I love a nice ruby I do

Reply Posted by PENFOLD on Friday October 18 2013 at 14:48
NO your busy that day

Reply Posted by baron silas greenback on Friday October 18 2013 at 14:52
Hop it you lot. Toby's doing the gig. Ribbit.

Reply Posted by mark on Tuesday October 22 2013 at 14:55
New lights needed for town as we have seen the same old carp for years

Reply Posted by toby tyke on Tuesday October 22 2013 at 15:00
Owd uns r orate. were skint mark. like wot tha did wi carp, burif we av nu uns,we wont red n white uns. wi aloada balls rarnd um.

Reply Posted by Mr Pontipine on Monday October 28 2013 at 19:17
The council asked me but I had to turn it down, I'm in dispute with housing at the moment, I've asked for a bigger house for me, the missus and the 10 kids but they turned us down. Its a breach of our human rights if you ask me.

Reply Posted by toby tyke on Monday October 28 2013 at 19:28
Good. Thar can't leave Iggle piggle. Ar wunt mind turning that Oopsidaisy on mind thee.

Reply Posted by chloe cooling on Tuesday October 29 2013 at 13:05
Its abit crap like doing summat for more or less only toddlers.. was same last year..

Reply Posted by Liv on Sunday November 3 2013 at 16:31
Hahah that for baby's why can't there have someone that real and for teenages instead of PINGO medohall are the best there have singers like the vamps OMG I'm not coming to Barnsley

Reply Posted by Swifty on Sunday November 3 2013 at 16:52
Enjoy it while you can in another few years politician will be banning Christmas.They will be curfews on everybody.

Sid stop saying there is no Farther Christmas. Next you will be spreading rumours they is no Tooth Fairy and Easter Bunny.

Shame on you Sid.

Reply Posted by David Plates (coronation street) on Monday November 4 2013 at 22:57
I was going to turn Barnsley lights on but PINGU is instead the people are complaining but don't worry I'll be there next year ill make sure kids will love PINGU but teens will love me and when I'm on there will be 4 free backstage tickets to meet me and my brother NICK (corronation street) hope you have fun this year ill be there next year me or FIZZ OFF TWEENIESNL X

Reply Posted by Ian on Tuesday November 5 2013 at 10:57
All these moaning lol get a grip it for the kids not adults. People need to grow up and stop been selfish. We had ares when we were kids now its the next generations turn. Id sooner see pingu then one direction any day bunch of chavs that cant sing for toffee or someone thats famous because their dads uncles sister in law was on jezza.

Reply Posted by me on Tuesday November 5 2013 at 19:25
ur all pathetic its for little kiddies what 2 and 3 yr old wants to c a celeb the dunt even no who the bloody r i personally believe it a good idea to have pingu so gt a bloody grip xx

Reply Posted by lisa mum to a 4yr old and 9yr old on Tuesday November 5 2013 at 20:25
i think they should have pingu and david platt switching lights on ive lived in oldham near manchester last 13yrs and they have same lights year after year we havent had any famouse people doing light switch on with fireworks just cartoon caracters and every year its always been packed we will be going to barnsleys lights this year as it will be our first its meant for the kids thats why they use kids caracters gives them something to look forward to dont spoil it for them they dont understand

Reply Posted by shelley jones on Wednesday November 6 2013 at 12:14
Rnt they havin a jack p sheppard here now david platt from corra cos he announced ot on twitter

Reply Posted by jo on Wednesday November 6 2013 at 17:26
I will be going with my seven yr old, we have been every year since he was 2 and we love it. It doesn't really matter who actually switches on the lights, as you can't see them unless you're stood right at the front. There is such a fantastic turnout that it's the atmosphere of the crowd and the amazing fireworks that makes the event worth while. Can't wait.

Reply Posted by Carla on Wednesday November 6 2013 at 17:58
Get a grip gloit!!! Kids aren't going to know that you goon!! You know what to do stay at at home!!!!!

Reply Posted by Rebecca on Wednesday November 6 2013 at 20:51
i thought david platt was going to be there

Reply Posted by Danny on Thursday November 7 2013 at 18:53
What About Buses ??? will they be later

Reply Posted by LOL on Thursday November 7 2013 at 19:24
IF THEY GOT REAL INSTEAD 2ND RATED SOAP STARS THEN IT MIGHT BE WORTH GOING TO SEE-CANT STAND THOSE CRAPPY SOAP OPERA WANABE STARS.

Reply Posted by luke on Tuesday November 12 2013 at 14:45
Y does it say all over town that jack shepherd is doing it then

Reply Posted by baa baa sheep on Tuesday November 12 2013 at 16:18
luke..it,s not Jack Shepherd from coronation street..It,s are Jack dressed as a Shepherd from coronation road Barugh Green...

Reply Posted by Shooun on Thursday November 14 2013 at 09:31
Still think Kipper Jackson should be doing it

Reply Posted by megan on Tuesday November 19 2013 at 19:14
Omg medowhall have like the vamps and union j this just show which one is the most rubbish.

Reply Posted by julie lee on Wednesday November 27 2013 at 11:18
As the late night shopping started now?.