Diwali Lights To Be Turned On In Town Centre

Wednesday October 16 2013

THE festival lights for Diwali will be illuminated this Friday evening in the town centre.

Cllr Dorothy Higginbottom and Mrs Dorothy Parkin Coates will switch on the lights near the indoor market entrance at Cheapside at 6.45pm.

Diwali, popularly known as the ‘festival of lights’, falls between mid-October and mid-November.

Each autumn, in partnership with local Indian communities, Barnsley celebrates by switching on the Diwali lights in the town centre.

For Hindus, it's one of the most important festivals of the year and celebrated in families by performing traditional activities in the home.

After the switch-on guests will be invited to make their way to Chilli, on Market Street, where light snacks will be available.

The Gujarat Association of Barnsley and the Indian Welfare Association of Barnsley look forward to celebrating this event with members of the public.

Reply Posted by observer on Wednesday October 16 2013 at 16:45
I might be offended by these lights. if that's the case. cant it happen that they have to take them down?..just saying.

Reply Posted by don on Wednesday October 16 2013 at 17:04
don't go and look at them you ignorant fool..just saying!!

Reply Posted by I'm with Observer on Wednesday October 16 2013 at 18:02
Well seen as many other cultures and religions seem to come to our beloved England and openly voice their displeasure at things we want to celebrate (hot cross buns in schools at easter, for one).....Why shouldn't we take a stand and tell them we don't want this?? (also, just saying)

Reply Posted by STEVEO on Wednesday October 16 2013 at 18:15
Agree in principle as we are a Christian country, but the politically correct idiots like GRIM below will tell us its racist.

Reply Posted by Richard on Wednesday October 16 2013 at 18:31
The term "racist" is used so selectively I find, but mostly used against white ethnicity when we push back to protect what has been a historical foundation, when relatively new visitors wish to simply demand we change it for their own purpose and convenience.

Reply Posted by Once grim on Thursday October 17 2013 at 10:54
BTW Stevo of Cawthorne the real Grim left long ago and this one is a fake who you argue with.

Reply Posted by GRIM on Wednesday October 16 2013 at 18:12
When you say 'we', who do you think you are speaking for?

Reply Posted by ET on Wednesday October 16 2013 at 19:08
How many Autumns have we in Barnsley celebrated Hindu light festivals, and me for one would like to know how much it costs the council, eg. for the electric bill, just sayin........

Reply Posted by Richard on Wednesday October 16 2013 at 19:19
An excellent question, one of which clearly the Labour council has failed to both find out and inform the tax payer about.

What about employing police and council to manage crowd control, added litter etc etc. Its not cheap, but don't worry, the Labour council will pay for it all out of YOUR taxes!

I'm betting they daren't cancel this as a way of saving money (which is much needed), through fear of being labelled "racist".

Reply Posted by don on Wednesday October 16 2013 at 19:59
just a thought, how much money do you think these "foreigners" with the corner shops, restaurants, take a ways and other businesses pay in to this country with tax and v.a.t. also rent and rates to barnsley council.

Reply Posted by Richard on Wednesday October 16 2013 at 20:06
Possibly significantly less than they send abroad which does not go back into the system via VAT etc

Reply Posted by don on Wednesday October 16 2013 at 20:27
once they have payed there dues n demands, whats it got to do with any one what they do with the rest of there money they worked for.

Reply Posted by Richard on Wednesday October 16 2013 at 20:43
Well, ok. Let's assume everyone that earns money sends it abroad. Then what? That money does not then serve the UK citizen, yet it supports a foreign economy.

Labour opened up the borders (without consent) which meant we faced the biggest immigration in living memory. To add, it put a strain on unemployment, NHS, benefits system, crime rates increased, prisons full etc etc etc.

Keep taking money from the system, keep using free NHS etc then sooner or later we as a nation become cash strapped....oh wait, isn't that happening now?

Do you still think its a good idea to have high levels of immigration, don?

Reply Posted by Just saying nowt on Friday October 18 2013 at 14:08
Richard if you're makining money then you should be paying into the system, its called taxation.

any moneys left are free to be done whatever with.

Do you go on holiday abroad at all? Cos if you are aren't you taking money out of the country also?

Reply Posted by Chilli on Wednesday October 16 2013 at 20:34
It's completely ridiculous - what percentage of Barnsley residents are Hindu ? Less than 1% > ? My sons schools are making a huge deal out if it also , creating a large 'shrine' in the reception area . Again I doubt there is more than 2 Hindus in the entire school - but they may have a debate again at Xmas whether a Xmas tree is appropriate ? !

Can we have lights for pancakes day. - I really love pancakes

Reply Posted by mr x on Wednesday October 16 2013 at 21:19
yay 1d was kool they only sang one song though after they turned them on

Reply Posted by Collet on Wednesday October 16 2013 at 22:55
Don't mind who's lights they light up, what annoys me is they go out on a limb to pacify ethnic minorities,but when it comes to Christmas,Birdwell Hoyland Hoyland Common and other Villages look a bloody disgrace, old dowdy Christmas decorations,they just swap them around and half of them don't even light up, mind you with all the insults you Labour Councillors get suppose a cant blame you????.With all the money that you have blown about this year with a little luck we may be in for a surprise .?

Reply Posted by Peter H on Thursday October 17 2013 at 07:06
I wonder how many of the knockers, will be going for an Indian meal or sending for a take away during this festival? Another quick one for the knockers, have you been to see your doctor or to the hospital lately? People of Indian descent have been part of the community for years & their traditions should be respected.

Reply Posted by yeah but on Thursday October 17 2013 at 08:09
those lights have been there nearly (or more than) twenty years.
Why complain about them.
Diwali and Hinduism means something to some people in Barnsley.
Just like the birth of Jesus does. How many WABers workshop a Christian God these days? Christianity still means something to some people too. But look at our streets. We clearly aren't much of a Christian town anymore. Pretty loose morals.

And I'm not calling anybody racist. Just ignorant.
To dismiss someone's harmless beliefs is ignorant and harmful. People complain about foreigners coming over here and attempting to errode our traditions. That's BS. It's just the few individuals.

It's the same thing as I don't want our town to be solely known for the pricks that go out and get out of their heads every weekend, fighting on Wellington Street, or kids having sex in the bus station, or our increase in street crime. That is really erroding our towns traditions.

This countries traditions have always been introduced to us through other countires and religions. Christmas is made up of various Roman, Celtic and Pagan rites. And I'm sure back then people protested. But eventually they incorporated it into their history and every day life.
Why is everybody so threatened by a light? A light that has been switched on once a year for the last couple of decades.

Much of this countries Hindi communities fought bravely in Gurka regiments in WWII and we welcomed them with open arms. Many of them are second and third generation and are not new immigrants. And so what if they were.
They country would have been worse off without they help in the war effort.

Reply Posted by Just saying but on Friday October 18 2013 at 14:10
Hae you seen the lights aswell, them thats complaining that there are none in their villages wouldn't want the solitary unit. Indeed its the same light thats been used for years and only now people have noticed that they need to complain.

Reply Posted by yeah but on Thursday October 17 2013 at 08:10
call me a leftie red or whatever, but for this town to progress, you have to be able to see beyond your own back yard.

Reply Posted by dedatodd on Thursday October 17 2013 at 09:23
The NHS is not free!, taxes and NI contributions go towards its running. So running a business paying taxes and employees that come from that goes towards the running of the country. After I have paid my dues, neither you (Richard) or anyone is going to tell me what I should do with what's left in my pocket, as long as I don't fund some 'suspect' organisation then its my choice. As for celebrating other cultures, bring it on, to get Barnsley and some of the minority of its folk out of the dark ages!
I only ask that the Council in turn respect all beliefs in equal measures. Also I think you may find that a lot of the PC rubbish around Xmas lights / tree's etc may well be 'Daily Mail' type rubbish! And to be honest I am not quite sure that Christmas is now the 'christian' festival that some make it out to be!

Reply Posted by Collet on Thursday October 17 2013 at 09:31
I don't give hoot about religion,the more celebrations,the more people enjoy themselves the better.But to bring food into the equation is beyond me for the people that go out wining and dining to foreign restaurants is because half of them don't no how to cook anyway,give me stew meat ox tail beef and Yokshire puds fish and chips any day,but if your going to celebrate do it right or not at all .Oh and whilst we're at it if you want to stop all the drunks on Welly st bring back the old drinking hours and the girls stop in and learn R to cook,I love women but only when there Sobar.

Reply Posted by observer on Thursday October 17 2013 at 10:10
some good points. but I think most of you know what I meant in my first comment..just saying.

Reply Posted by ? on Thursday October 17 2013 at 10:37
Barnsley already has a mosque and has done for a few years.
It's not a bloody one though. Its not got a dome on it, or call to prayers blasting out in a morning, or ray guns hanging from turrets.
Its just some folk praying peacfully in a house. yet it is a mosque.

Thank you Bob for speaking on behalf of an entire country. You are an inspiration.

Reply Posted by observer on Thursday October 17 2013 at 10:42
im behind you on that one barnsley bob.oh. and bob. I wont be going to look at them...just saying.

Reply Posted by Billy g on Thursday October 17 2013 at 10:46
It's a house pretending to be a mosque so they don't have to pay council tax bet you didn't know that

Reply Posted by chinny beard on Thursday October 17 2013 at 10:51
Its not pretending to be a mosque. It is a mosque.
Many towns around the country have mosques in houses. That's because there isn't enough of them to actually fund building a mosque.
Its not just Barnsley. You're not special.

Reply Posted by ? on Thursday October 17 2013 at 13:08
Nice to see Barnsley Bob & Co's racist comments have been removed.
Constructive arguement is one thing, but outright racism has no value or place here.

Cheers WAB

Reply Posted by .... on Thursday October 17 2013 at 13:56
So WAB my post haranguing the racists is removed, while the delightful Richards' slightly right of Mussolinis' views are deemed perfecly acceptable then? Ok, I suppose he fuels your wonderful 'debates'

Reply Posted by feqe on Thursday October 17 2013 at 15:07
If anyone on here is genuinely getting wound up by this, then you need to have a word with yourself. There might only be a small number of Hindus in Barnsley but why does that matter? "Oooooh ow much is electric bill gunna be?" "Ooooh what apens if I get offended by it?" Who gives a shit, it's some lights celebrating a festival very little of us care about, stop getting wound up by things that don't affect you. And yes I am wound up by some of the specials commenting on here.

Reply Posted by Gloit on Thursday October 17 2013 at 15:10
I'm all for it as long as over in their country they'll be lighting bonfires to celebrate bonfire night with us. If they aren't, why the hell are we spending taxpayers money celebrating something three quarters of the town can't even pronounce correctly?. This country is a laughing stock because we bow down all this sort of thing. All we need now is some bloke dressed as a swiss, non english speaking cartoon penguin to switch on our towns christmas lights. oh wait...

Reply Posted by kilkenny on Thursday October 17 2013 at 15:40
@Collett

.........and the girls stop in and learn R to cook,I love women but only when there Sobar

So women should time-travel back to the 50's should they?

Reply Posted by gloit on Thursday October 17 2013 at 16:25
Maybe the first thing they should do, is learn their men to spell, :-)

Reply Posted by kilkenny on Friday October 18 2013 at 08:26
@gloit - totally agree. I bet that Collet is a right catch. Can you imagine coming out with a comment like that in 2013? How backwards is that? I am going to have to print off this thread and pass it to my colleagues. They could do with a laugh!

Reply Posted by bobbie on Friday October 18 2013 at 09:10
@Kilkenny..he does not like Barnsley.replies on every post and it is utter cr'p he writes,you don't like Barnsley,SO WHY RUIN OUR WAB..we are Barnsley ,go away,your not wanted,,,

Reply Posted by kilkenny on Friday October 18 2013 at 09:21
@bobbie - please learn to read a thread.

Collet said:

I merely said that his comments were a bit backward in this day and age. You know, equality and all that? Oh well, maybe not. I think it is Richard that hates Barnsley, so please make sure you check who says what before commenting. Thank you.

Reply Posted by bobbie on Friday October 18 2013 at 09:36
@Kilkenny@ I can read,on the post about animal cruelty (circus)you have stated you are embarrassed to say you are from Barnsley,you moved away in the 90,s..your words..so please why? are you writing such bullshit and undermining us from Barnsley,you are not welcome on WAB,go to your new life,

Reply Posted by kilkenny on Friday October 18 2013 at 09:48
@bobbie - this is a PUBLIC forum so I can comment freely. I merely made a comment about the misogynistic comment made by Collet above. Or maybe you think all women should be chained to a kitchen sink and cooker?

I will comment when I want.

Reply Posted by bobbie on Friday October 18 2013 at 09:53
@Kilkenny,i have not commented on any of collet posts,i comment on your post ,I am proud to be born and bred in Barnsley and I am sick of you slating us Barnsley people off,please let us know were u have moved to,us Barnsley people will be happy to meet,stop undermining people of Barnsley,we do not like it,now go away...

Reply Posted by kilkenny on Friday October 18 2013 at 10:07
@bobbie - you must be a little dim. Read the thread above. I have not slated anybody off from Barnsley. I merely commented on the post by Collet which even you must agree is a little backward in 2013. Or are you the type of chap that expects the women to clean the house and have a meal on your table at 'teatime' (its dinner in the south by the way).

Reply Posted by Sad Barnsley Man on Friday October 18 2013 at 13:05
This is why I'm ashamed of Barnsley people, because of your idiotic reactions. Live and let live, it's an open free world we live in.

Reply Posted by tarnlyfe2k13 on Friday October 18 2013 at 13:52
I agree with Sad Barnsley Man. I like Barnsley and its home, but some of the people are absolutely shocking. So stupid, misinformed and unwordly. I feel sad to say that but it's true. Even if you don't want to educate yourselves, you could at least try to have a positive and accepting attitude! There's more to life than Barnsley!

Reply Posted by A realist on Friday October 18 2013 at 13:53
Just saying like but the only religions that apparently get offended by our beliefs and celebrations are Muslims well that's what the papers and news says. But Muslims don't celebrate Diwali you ignorant fools. (Not aimed at everyone). Buddhists Sikhs Hindus celebrate it like my Nepalese friends at work who thort for this country in the Falklands so have some respect. Does anyone know anything about Diwali or are you just jumping on the band wagon and having ago because it's. A foreigners celebration

Reply Posted by lol me agen on Friday October 18 2013 at 14:05
Ach typo, meant 'unworldly'. Oh well wouldn't be a WAB comment without a spelling mistake ey!

Reply Posted by .... on Friday October 18 2013 at 14:21
The ill- informed idiots just confirm outsiders stereotypical views of barnsley folk

Reply Posted by god on Friday October 18 2013 at 15:19