Almost A Quarter In Poverty, Shocking Figures Reveal

Thursday October 17 2013

We Are Barnsley We Are Barnsley

SHOCKING figures have been released stating almost a quarter of children in Barnsley are living in poverty.

Mark Wood, of the council's Supporting People group, gave a presentation to the Church Action on Poverty in Barnsley meeting saying the figure was currently 24 per cent, rising to 47 per cent in parts of Thurnscoe.

He said deprivation was measured by levels of income, health and disability, education and skills, housing and crime. It meant choices between eating or paying the rent on occasions, he added.

Of the 24 per cent of children living in poverty, 20 per cent of those have one parent who is working.
He said more of those are working than not working.

In Barnsley, 40 per cent of workers are in unskilled, low paid jobs with very little job security.
At least one third of workers are in part-time jobs.

On top of the 24 per cent already living in poverty, 20 per cent are just one step away, and have no savings, no equity in their houses, can't cope on their current level of income or are struggling to feed themselves.

"There are 354 councils in the country and Barnsley is 43rd from the bottom," he said. "The cuts in Barnsley hit people twice as hard as the national average.

"There's a certain unfairness about this. People who have already hit are hit again."

He said there were also 10,000 elderly people who were also classed as living in poverty.

Between 2005-2010, the number of hard-pressed households in Barnsley had increased by as much as 34 per cent in some areas including Brierley, Grimethorpe, Wombwell, Worsbrough and parts of Thurnscoe.

Ian Guest, chief executive of the Credit Union, said: "The cost of living is going up but income is not keeping up with the cost of living and it's only going to get worse."

Reply Posted by Purple Haze on Thursday October 17 2013 at 10:50
I am not going to start bashing people on benefits, I am sure someone else will do that. However there are too many people who have children who have no education themselves and who cannot budget especially with the small amounts they have. I appreciate that bills keep going up but if it is a choice of feeding kids or smoking and drinking and having sky then all I can say is that many are making the wrong decisions.
Plus all these charities state that children are in poverty because they are not having holidays or there own bedroom an other such rubbish. I am sure that many on here recall growing up without gadgets, holidays, their own bedrooms and so on. many never had much but they grew up ok.

Reply Posted by observer on Thursday October 17 2013 at 10:58
you have some valid points there haze. kids should be taught the word.."NO" they will be disappointed, but it wont hurt them will it. things will get worse. british gas have announced a 10 per cent rise on gas, and electricity. scandalous I say.

Reply Posted by king louis on Thursday October 17 2013 at 10:59
the government say a single person can live and pay all their bills and feed and clothe themselves on just over £7.00 a day.... those people just don't have luxuries whatever others say because paying the gas and electric bills alone wipes out most of the £7

Reply Posted by Purple Haze on Thursday October 17 2013 at 13:33
Agreed that on that sort of money there should be no luxuries but many do smoke and do drink. I used to work in a job that dealt with many people on benefits. Some were decent but many were dependant on drugs, booze, cigs and their kids were going hungry and dirty. Which is surely not acceptable?

Reply Posted by sid on Thursday October 17 2013 at 11:05
I agree with all of that Haze. I was brought up on benefits,no money etc,and my parents spent the money on gambling,booze and fags.
I now have a successful business,and have done the exact opposite in bringing my kids up. It can be done. No way would I have children and give them the life I had. I hope this post gives some hope to anyone who needs a lift. Times are hard,yes,but its nothing new.

Reply Posted by Purple Haze on Thursday October 17 2013 at 13:33
Good on you mate.

Reply Posted by j on Thursday October 17 2013 at 15:33
Get real - there is no kid in this country living in poverty - take a look at the children in third world countries and show me the 'poor' children in Britain. Kids here live in bad circumstances through the choices of their parents - end of!!

Reply Posted by sid on Thursday October 17 2013 at 15:45
Your post is half right j. The parents are to blame in most cases,but their kids are then living in poverty. And its not just food/clothing/heat/light, its living in dirt, being hit,shouted at and verbally abused. These kids don't feel safe,loved or equal in any way to others. At school they stand out like a sore thumb, making then feel degraded, and all this,in my mind equates to poverty. Its not all about money.

Reply Posted by j on Thursday October 17 2013 at 16:20
Your post is half right too Sid and I agree with your comment that it is not all about money, abuse comes in many guises, leaving lasting mental scars - but at least our children have a future to do with as they wish. If only eh?

Reply Posted by sid on Thursday October 17 2013 at 16:35
I take your point j. Yes,the future is bleak for what I imagine the majority of the third world children. At least there are opportunities here, and there are some kids strong willed enough to rise up despite what can be unimaginable childhood years. The difference now is that when my parents were on benefits, it really was bleak. No telly/fridge/hoover/clothes and even bedding. Still most of the money was spent selfishly. Nowadays, folk on benefits appear to have all of these things,so the things my household didn't have, I wanted. This in turn made me wise up and take care of myself. The whole drugs thing wasn't a problem then and lots of kids had it hard,so god only knows how horrible it must be nowadays. I can't even imagine. As adults,we don't want to mix with druggys and alchys, they frighten us, yet some of these children have no choice. Its disgusting.

Reply Posted by j on Friday October 18 2013 at 08:12
What or who is to blame though, Sid? Where did it all start to go wrong eh? I have to say that my parents aspired to give me better than what they had had - my dad, also named Sid funnily enough, was a child in the 20's/30's - went to school in a woman's coat with a fur collar, but he always said 'At least I was warm' - his brother wore a pair of women's shoes - they were kicked up, in more ways that one and that gave him the aspiration to work and do better for his family. My mother always said she wanted better for us than she had had, but we would never have anything if we didn't work for it. Her words stuck in my head and I have done the most menial jobs and the best jobs, while ever I have a pair of hands, my family will be provided for. I think there needs to be a huge 'wake up' call - let us get back to the basics of respect, manners and courtesy and most of all compassion for the fellow man - but Sid, where the hell do we start?

Reply Posted by sid on Friday October 18 2013 at 08:57
J. I wish I knew. I do believe most of the problems family's face are down to drugs/drink/gambling. As a kid I had to cope with the gambling and drink side of it. I can only imagine the drug part of the problem to be the worst scenario. The adults who are involved with these have no scruples really,they are selfish. They see their next payment as the next fix/bet/drink. In my mind they are lost,its too late for the ones involved in those vices,and its suffer the children. There's too few jobs I reckon,like the manual ones in factories and the mines so the young parents of today are struggling straight away. I don't understand why many of the kids don't seem to understand birth control? Its common sense,but they're failing on that so then their problems start. I do think that many people don't try these days. All I wanted was my own clean home,with a normal family, where my kids were not ashamed or mistreated,and I did it. I'm have no idea how we can instill this into people now days. I can only think make drugs/booze/gambling less accessible, cut down on benefits before kids have kids as we say and hope that the kids then will have to strive for what they want,then they,ll appreciate things more. As I do. I really feel blessed everyday, I would love to give that feeling to some of the losers in life you see today. There is I'm afraid no answer to peoples mind set. Only they can change it no matter what anyone else does.

Reply Posted by sid on Friday October 18 2013 at 09:29
Just thinking,both my parents came from lovely homes. My grandparents were my heroes. As my parents divorced,and stayed on benefits,and family pressures ceased when all of us kids married,oddly enough they both became respectable. They almost were like their parents were. This in turn makes it harder,because they obviously knew family values,but they didn't value their own little family. There is no one answer j. Its life. Kids having kids, that's my experience anyhow.

Reply Posted by j on Friday October 18 2013 at 22:32
Too true Sid, kids having kids - kids are so pressurised these days to 'grow up' - media, social networking etc., that they aren't allowed to be kids anymore. I too feel blessed that I have my social circumstances and family - but it hasn't come from anyone else's pocket. What I have has been worked and paid for - no tick for me - and I think that's where the problem lies these days as well - along with the greed for material things, allowing credit cards etc., encouraging debt for the things people 'think' they want, but don't actually need, and in turn spirals into decline. Where will it all end Sid as it definitely seems to be getting much worse!!

Reply Posted by kilkenny on Friday October 18 2013 at 00:36
@j - Ever been to the London Boroughs of Hackney, Tower Hamlets and Newham. Nope I did not think so.

Reply Posted by j on Friday October 18 2013 at 08:17
kilkenny - please don't make assumptions of someone you don't know, but to answer this, yes, I have been to Hackney as a matter of fact and lots of other seriously deprived areas throughout England and I praise the Lord I was lucky enough to be Barnsley born and bred.

Reply Posted by kilkenny on Friday October 18 2013 at 08:34
@j -If you have been to Hackney then maybe you could retract the stupid comment you made at 15.33pm yesterday:

Do you know how much a two bedroom flat in Hackney costs to rent? Well have a little look online and come back and tell me if you can find a place under £300 per week. Then explain to me about poverty. BTW Hackney is one of the most deprived areas in Europe. Yes, there are £1 million pound house overlooking Victoria Park but the rich live cheek by jowl with some of the poorest people in the UK.

Reply Posted by Rubydoo on Friday October 18 2013 at 09:49
I agree with alot of comments on here, and yes where do we start trying to put things right?
I'm lucky I was brought up in a loving home where my dad always worked and my mum looked after us and then got a part time job when we were all at school. I'm in my 50's we were always clean and fed but we didn't have much in the way of material things, but nobody did then, and we didn't miss them because we'd never had them. I was brought up on a new council estate, all families were the same then, we all hadn't got much, no cars , we had school uniform and playing out clothes and hand me downs. We were all like that though and we were happy.
My parents valued education for us and encouraged us to do well, we all went on to have good jobs by doing part time college and night school and bettering ourselves while working at the same time.
I think one of the big problems today is some parents not seeing the value of education. We have one of the best education systems in the world, its free up to higher education level for school age children and it is the envy of many in other countries. My message to any child is get an education, how some parents and children think its ok to leave school being barely able to read and write is beyond me. You can't blame schools when some children will not be educated, they fight the system won't engage and just disrupt classes.
My heart goes out to all children growing up suffering because they are living in the very dark bleak shadows of drugs, drink and gambling.
Do your best to get an education, no matter how basic and then build on that and make yourself a life.

Reply Posted by sid on Friday October 18 2013 at 10:02
@rubydoo. You're right there. I passed my 11plus,went to a brilliant school, and saw the other kids. It was my wakeup call, I didn't fit in,but wanted it so much. Education is the key, and try and stop teenage pregnancies. Kids see babies as an easy way to get money now, I no that to be true. To me,having a child too young would have been my failure,as it was for my parents. Put an end to the benefits thatmake parenthood look appealing maybe? Its complex.

Reply Posted by LOL on Friday October 18 2013 at 10:17
THERE SAVING ALL THERE MONEYIN
BANK OF WILLIAM HILL
BANK OF BET FRED
BANK OF LADBROOKS

BANK OF C

Reply Posted by as well on Friday October 18 2013 at 13:01
LOL was is the point you are trying to make,every post you make with your CAPS LOCK ON,go away you fool,

Reply Posted by LOL on Friday October 18 2013 at 16:49
SORRY ALL MY WABERS,,I DON,T NO HOW TO TURN MY CAPS LOCK OFF,SORRY SORRY,

Reply Posted by just kidding on Friday October 18 2013 at 16:52
LOL@ not to worry,its never to late to ask for help,on your keyboard on the left hand side,a button says caps lock,press the button once,glad I could help,LOL

Reply Posted by kilkenny on Friday October 18 2013 at 10:25
@sid - you old git, 11 plus?

Ha ha only joking!

Reply Posted by sid on Friday October 18 2013 at 14:25
Haha sign of the times Kilkenny. Served me well though.

Reply Posted by Collet on Sunday October 20 2013 at 11:27
I was born just before the last war,my father was a miner having to bring up four children, it didn't matter about money it was a case of trying to get old of commodities.This last two or three generations don't know or have any idea about poverty,when you had spent your money on what you could get hold of,that was it no going out boozing or smoking during the week. You don't know your born today. By the way if it hadn't been for having a bit of H P I don't know how we could of got on ?

Reply Posted by Cassie on Sunday October 20 2013 at 11:44
Ok my neighbour doesn't smoke doesn't drink and very rarely goes out, she has 2 kids they are clean and as tidy as they can be but she struggles every day to keep her head above water. She would love a job that enables her to be at home when the kids are there she hates being on benefits but cannot see her way out. The job centre are about as much use as chocolate teapot and before someone starts ranting about single parents she is that situation through no fault of her own. But as much as poverty is about unemployment it is also about low wages and the lack of full time well paid jobs and even when you have a full time job if your circumstances dictate it can also be a struggle to survive with the cost of bills etc. My own gas bill will not let me see a lot of change out of a £1000 next year and that's just one bill. When companies stop employing people on stupid 4 or 10 hour contracts so they don't have to pay all the benefits that come with employment perhaps people will be able to sort themselves out.

Reply Posted by barnsley bob on Sunday October 20 2013 at 11:51
we were poor me old mam used to have to borrow lumps coal from an old woman next door and we kids would all gather round this one lump of coal and warm our frozen hands around it as it was a cold house as we had no windows as we had burnt the window frames.my dad came home from work to the only meal of the day 2 pieces of toast that was made possible thanks to the single lump of coal.they were reet hard days in barnsley when i were a lad.

Reply Posted by barnsley bob on Sunday October 20 2013 at 12:08
i remember we had a cat called speedy,he only had 3 legs,he left home because me dad used to pinch his milk every morning to put in his tea,me dad was always doing that,guess the cat just left home disgusted at having his milk pinched every morning.they were hard days back then even for cats in barnsley.

Reply Posted by Richard on Sunday October 20 2013 at 13:30
Child poverty needs to stop. Money is being misspent and massively so, the same money that should be channeled to helping give our children a better life and a better chance in life. The money is there.

For all my critics, I am actually campaigning to beat this and I have made contact with the people that matter.

It might not be a popular idea I'm bringing to the table, but it will only be unpopular to those choosing to spend our children's money on cigarettes and alcohol etc. these same people need to be shown a better way. There is a better way.

Reply Posted by Purple Haze on Sunday October 20 2013 at 14:56
Richard, I agree with the comments about child poverty. Money is misspent and I too think that handing over cold hard cash to people with habits and or selfishness is not working. I think that vouchers would be better or some other system. I think that gambling needs banning not encouraging by the government and many Barnsley residents need to stop looking on drugs as a fun part time thing to do.

As for the comment above about a young neighbour with two kids well there are many people who manage to use contraception in this day and age so I have little sympathy for young girls having babies young and even less for their choice in useless young men who continue to impregnate girls and then who walk away without society batting an eyelid. Such people should be ashamed but they arent.

Reply Posted by in a daze on Sunday October 20 2013 at 15:26
purple haze,you must walk about all day with your head in the clouds,glambling wants banning?drugs?young ones having kids? you must be such a perfect moral citizen that everybody looks upto? get your head from up your arse and live in the real world,

Reply Posted by Cassie on Sunday October 20 2013 at 15:42
Where did I say she was young er I didn't and she isn't your prejudice showing through there.
But you ignored the rest of post. Poverty is not just to do with not having a job.