MP Invites Conservatives To See Economic Crisis Effects

Tuesday October 22 2013

Dan Jarvis MP Dan Jarvis MP

MP Dan Jarvis has invited Conservative MPs to visit Barnsley to see how the economic crisis is affecting families in the town.

Mr Jarvis said families were facing either stagnating wages or a lack of secure jobs and were at 'breaking point'.

"Any economic recovery should be one that benefits us all, not just a few at the top, predominantly in London and the South East," the Barnsley Central MP added.

His comments follow the release of a report by Labour MPs which said Yorkshire is falling behind other parts of the country.

It shows unemployment is worse than anywhere else and is rising, says young people are being let down most by the government and the jobs in the region offer low wages and limited hours while the cost of living continues to rise.

The average wage in Yorkshire has fallen £1,721 since 2010, equivalent to £140 per month.

Reply Posted by debbie on Tuesday October 22 2013 at 17:07
well lets hope they come and see what is happening up here. Barnsley town centre is a disgrace

Reply Posted by Richard on Tuesday October 22 2013 at 17:11
Its a shame he didn't do too much about his own party making improvements during their time in power (LABOUR 1997 - 2010). I'm sure he earned a few quid though and had some good times on his expenses!

Reply Posted by --- on Tuesday October 22 2013 at 18:28
go away little dick or little Richard,what do you like to be known by,

Reply Posted by Richard on Tuesday October 22 2013 at 18:51
Err, no I think I will stay and give my opinion. If you don't like it, then perhaps you should go away. Silly person with no name giving cheap and unoriginal insults.

Reply Posted by dedatodd on Wednesday October 23 2013 at 08:47
I am not sure that Dan was an MP during the labour years?

Reply Posted by Dave on Wednesday October 23 2013 at 12:35
You're right there mate. The bloke didn't become an MP til 2011. I'm not exactly a fan but you can't blame him for what happened before he was in the job.

Reply Posted by rainbow on Thursday October 24 2013 at 10:23
Your spot on Richard, Labour had 13 years to do something about Barnsley and did nothing.. Politicians only throw money at marginal seats, unlike Barnsley, which is staunch Labour.. Expecting the Tories to something shows how nieve Dan Jarvis is.??

Reply Posted by Jim on Tuesday October 22 2013 at 18:01
Go away you little weasel

Reply Posted by Paul on Tuesday October 22 2013 at 18:14
I,d like Dan Jarvis to see what labour as done to barnsley , or his he trying to sell barnsley to is conservative friends,,, anyway Steve Houghton sees it every other day ..

Reply Posted by Sally on Tuesday October 22 2013 at 19:05
The government ought to give a massive cash boost to BARNSLEY. Let the young show what they can do. Bring the town back to life, PAY A DECENT INCOME. The young men women and children are the future. Teach them well and treat them well let them lead the way. It needs billions spending in this country to put things right, never mind sending money overseas. GET THINKING.

Reply Posted by Richard on Tuesday October 22 2013 at 19:24
SALLY@ sorry if I talk a lot of nonsense,i only try to get my point over..

Reply Posted by sally on Tuesday October 22 2013 at 19:28
Richard,not to worry Richard,nice to know your honest,

Reply Posted by Richard on Tuesday October 22 2013 at 19:28
Oh dear, looks like the children have passed their bedtime. How childish to pretend to be someone else. Grow up silly simpleton.

Reply Posted by sally on Tuesday October 22 2013 at 19:30
Richard,sorry to offend you,i was only been polite,

Reply Posted by Richard on Tuesday October 22 2013 at 19:38
Unfortunately, the real tell tale signs are in the complete lack of grammar and correct spelling. Both Sally (and myself) are clearly better educated than this imposter pretending to be both! Try harder, you incompetent fool.

Reply Posted by Richard on Tuesday October 22 2013 at 19:14
Sally its only a good idea to give massive amounts of money to a Council that won't mismanage the funds. Barnsley Council and its Labour Councillors and its MP's don't know how to use a calculator (other than for their own individual benefit). Its the local people in charge that need to change.

Reply Posted by swifty on Tuesday October 22 2013 at 19:53
How Hypocritical for Mr Jarvis to Invite a Tory Party that's has planned Barnsley and other Northern towns to fall.

Mr Jarvis you and your Labour MPs and Councillors all have your Heads in the same troughs.

Politics may have changed and your cuts to vulnerable services. But let me tell you Barnsley People are changing towards the Gravy Train. Leave your Tory friends at Westminster or at the very least Milton Keynes at the M1. Preferably on the hard shoulder.

Reply Posted by sid on Tuesday October 22 2013 at 19:59
Maybe though swifty,it,ll do them good to let them see what their party has done. I'm not sure its just the North either,they're messing the whole country up. I just wonder what they think and feel when they see the boarded up shops,no factories and the layabouts. They need to change the whole country. Let them see it all I say.

Reply Posted by Richard on Tuesday October 22 2013 at 20:36
Sid, was Barnsley so great for the past decade? I don't believe it was. Why blame the current govt when so far they have been turning things around and only been in power since 2010? You need to give them time to muddle through the problems left by the previous govt.

Labour are running Barnsley Council and have done for years, its them that decide where the money gets spent and what services are available....they can't even get the pot holes fixed and try to blame the elements for their own short comings, like the weather ONLY affects Barnsley!

Reply Posted by ----- on Tuesday October 22 2013 at 20:42
@Richard well said dick

Reply Posted by sid on Tuesday October 22 2013 at 20:52
No Richard, they are muddling through peoples lives,homes,marriages and pride. Its not just about Barnsley,its about NHS,immigration,banking,education, lots of things throughout the entire country. Yes the problems in our town could be maybe handled differently,but our council have not got control of the big stuff. You know what they say...don't sweat the small stuff,and that's Barnsley. This government are immoral,and cruel. Not to mention greedy cheating liars I'm afraid.

Reply Posted by Richard on Tuesday October 22 2013 at 21:02
Sid, the banking scandal occurred whilst Labour was in power. NHS, Labour spent £10bn on a failed computer system. Immigration, Labour was responsible for the highest influx of immigrants in living memory.

Feel free to do your own research to confirm what I am saying.

Reply Posted by Richard on Tuesday October 22 2013 at 23:22
Sid, sorry, I forgot to mention education...Labour during their term managed to get England to near the bottom of the global league table for education. Even this is evident when looking at the poor grammar and spelling on this site, proving that the people nearing retirement age are generally better educated than the school leavers! Unfortunately, seems there are many still buying into Labour.....I can't imagine why?

Reply Posted by sid on Tuesday October 22 2013 at 23:27
Richard I agree, but what now? Keep giving mine and your taxes to other countries when ours needs it? You never give a little.

Reply Posted by Richard on Tuesday October 22 2013 at 23:31
Sid, you'll find that most countries give aid to other countries. I agree that we should curb it to much less, so that we can fix problems here, but you need to consider that the previous govt would have also given huge sums too.

Reply Posted by sid on Tuesday October 22 2013 at 23:34
Richard all of this is about the distribution of money. The Tory's keep banging on about the lack of money due to the poor management of it by labour. Why then are they giving money to overseas aid? Are they not mismanaging now,or am I missing the point. If I need £10 for food, I wouldn't give £4 away now would I? Simply housekeeping, of which it seems neither party gets the jist. Simplistic but true.

Reply Posted by mr khan here on Tuesday October 22 2013 at 23:40
sid @ Richard,nice to see a bit of true love on the forum,goodness gracious me,bloody hell one big happy family,mr khan serving Barnsley for 40yes and 1 day,,

Reply Posted by Richard on Tuesday October 22 2013 at 23:41
Sid, just something to consider (and I don't know the full reality of how this is all linked) but we subscribe to things like NATO, which is quite probably the reason why large sums goes to help third world countries etc. So its probably a contractual requirement to give aid (along with the other 27 countries). NATO countries get involved in providing defence against external countries attacks etc, which would have been the case during Iraq etc. Of course all of this also requires funding.

Reply Posted by sid on Tuesday October 22 2013 at 23:45
Its Richard being obstinate. Mr khan.

Reply Posted by mr khan here on Tuesday October 22 2013 at 23:49
sid@ sorry read inbetween the lines,im a bloody fool,getting the wrong end of the stick,you can still use my shop,but please don,t bring Richard,this is a very friendly community,all family,,mr khan serving Barnsley for 40yrs and 1 day,goodness gracious fellow WABers,,

Reply Posted by sid on Tuesday October 22 2013 at 23:50
Richard, to say you're not Tory you won't give an inch. If you don't know the answers you make them up. I've done,you can't see both sides through your tunnel vision. You say all of Barnsley just vote for labour no matter what,well tonight you have proved you are just the same,but would vote Tory instead. Narrow minded that's you.

Reply Posted by sid on Tuesday October 22 2013 at 23:53
Mr.khan, you're doing a good job with your little shop, but you are bloody barmy. Lol. Nearly 40 yrs an 2 days.

Reply Posted by Richard on Tuesday October 22 2013 at 23:56
Sid, I'm not a Tory, just can see where the problems are. My last post, I did state that I was unsure about the NATO topic, but was an idea to perhaps consider, its just thinking outside the box.

I have never said ALL of Barnsley vote Labour, but enough of them have otherwise they would not be running the Council following local elections.

Reply Posted by sid on Tuesday October 22 2013 at 23:58
Where the problems WERE Richard. This government are making their own mess on top of the old ones.

Reply Posted by Richard on Wednesday October 23 2013 at 00:41
Sid, the problems didn't simply dissolve with the new govt, the current govt inherited those problems. Heck if they solved the old problems in just 3 years then they are the best govt in history!! But we all know that not all problems have been solved yet......

I fail to see so many new problems, when we are now out of a recession, petrol prices are lowest since 2008, income tax for minimum wage earners is ZERO, 1million new jobs, 1.2million new apprenticeships etc etc....surely that is positive progress!

The inheritance of Labour's problems takes time to fix, it doesn't happen overnight, especially when they had 13 years to cause so much damage.

Reply Posted by no. on Wednesday October 23 2013 at 09:02
Richard, who do you think provides our council with the low budget they have and who do you think has slashed our councils budgets? TORIES.

I don't think you are seeing the bigger picture here.

Reply Posted by Swifty on Tuesday October 22 2013 at 20:32
I agree somewhat Sid I don't think these Tory MP's possibly realise what damage they are doing. Don't forget the nearest they Get to the real world is travelling by tube to Westminster.

I do believe however that in my 30 year of a interest in Politics it's the first time I've seen so much devastation directed at the Tory Loyal supporters from the South.

The Tory advisors are sailing there own MPs down the River hopefully the Tames will be full one day.

Reply Posted by sid on Tuesday October 22 2013 at 20:42
Well swifty,I don't know much about politics and I'm not sure I would enjoy being embroiled in it. I do know though that the people in power, are not doing their job properly. They have and are selling our country and its people down the river,whilst at the same time,using some of our wealth to prop up corrupt country's. How they can do this whilst food banks are springing up to the delight of lots of needy folk is beyond me. They should hang their heads in shame,they have nothing to be proud of within their working life,and they are in the job to help society? They are failing,and they either can't see it or they are more decieptfull than we can ever imagine.

Reply Posted by Swifty on Tuesday October 22 2013 at 20:52
Sid one word " Decieptfull"

Reply Posted by mr khan here on Tuesday October 22 2013 at 20:58
sid and swifty,very good comments,richard not to show he understands life,richard are you happy with all the tory polices,,cuts cuts cuts to the poor,bonuses to the wealthy,,,mr khan serving Barnsley for 40yrs,

Reply Posted by Richard on Tuesday October 22 2013 at 21:00
Agreed, to a point. Eric Illsley was in a position of power in Barnsley's Labour council, until he was convicted of fraud for his part in the United Kingdom Parliamentary expenses scandal. Now we see his successor, with his own massive expenses. The real deception is closer to home than Westminster I'm afraid to say.

Reply Posted by sid on Tuesday October 22 2013 at 21:07
Mr khan here you do put a smile on my face.

Reply Posted by mr khan here on Tuesday October 22 2013 at 21:12
sid, sadly the country is going downhill,but it is nice to be one big happy family.you are welcome in my shop anytime,mr khan serving Barnsley for 40yrs,

Reply Posted by sid on Tuesday October 22 2013 at 21:15
@richare, truth be known, there is a lot of greed and corruption in all party's. Its no point talking about one person,we would be here all night. The point in my mind is that this government seem oblivious to the suffering they are causing with all the cutbacks. I no the last government were in the wrong too,but now the problems have been made transparent,they should be making cutbacks on spending outside our country. To hurt the very people who are paying taxes,and then even give money to other country's is utterly wrong. I am neither Tory or labour, its time there was a flipping common sense for the common people party.....you must be able to see that.

Reply Posted by sid on Tuesday October 22 2013 at 21:24
Behave, you've hit my funny bone. I'm starting to read your posts with a flipping Asian accent now. You're funny.

Reply Posted by Richard on Tuesday October 22 2013 at 23:12
Sid you've hit the nail on the head. The problems are more transparent now this govt is in power, which means we were all lied to by the previous govt having the wool pulled over our eyes. They were driving the ship irresponsibly, which has led to the problems we are in now.

Cut backs are sometimes necessary, they can't keep borrowing, that's what Labour did, to appear popular...that money at some stage needs to be paid back! We are no longer in a recession, all due to the efforts of our current govt. Labour put us in it. We need to ride it out, we should not be all looking to the benefits office for help in every case, but if the problem is local, then the local council is there to spend the money and spend it responsibly. Labour have failed us. They can't even fix the pot holes, let alone run a council. It appears the people in charge are corrupt, which is there in black and white when we look at their expenses and how they spend tax payers money etc.

Reply Posted by sid on Tuesday October 22 2013 at 23:25
Yes Richard,but you post only the bad things labour have done,and you seem to dodge what the Tory's are doing. Come on,there must be better ways than giving our taxes to foreign aid whilst our own people are queueing at food banks. If you're not a Tory,you need to give a little. I am for no party,and can see both sides,but you just seem to be turning all posts into slamming labour. I'm not posting on this anymore,as we are going round in circles, and there's truly no disrespect meant. None of us have the answers,so all of this is just blustering.

Reply Posted by Richard on Wednesday October 23 2013 at 00:05
Sid, none of us have all the answers. Its clear that the Labour Council are doing a poor job and have done for years. That surely deserves a change?

I'm not a Labour fan at all, as I've seen first hand the lies and corruption that they spout with absolutely no consequences.

I too accept that most politicians are dishonest, but I do support the positives that the current govt have brought. For one, it was the Lib Dems that introduced ZERO TAX for those on minimum wage and investment to bring 1million new jobs and 1.2million apprenticeships. Surely that is progress? We are now out of a recession. Good news right? Free school meals for our kids.....there is more, but you get the idea.

Ed Miliband however is trying to brag about freezing energy prices for 2 years. What he is failing to mention is that the customers can ALREADY do this themselves if they opt to lock into a 2 year deal with their energy supplier.

Reply Posted by sid on Wednesday October 23 2013 at 00:11
Good banter,but the Tory's are cruel. I get your points,and I very nearly got you to say one bad word about the Tory's,not just labour. Do try and open your mind though. Over and out. Haha.

Reply Posted by red ed on Tuesday October 22 2013 at 21:16
CAMERON CLEGG OSBOURNE WILL SINK THE NORTH IF WE LET THEM!!!!!!!!!!!

Reply Posted by Richard on Tuesday October 22 2013 at 22:46
Blair & Brown put the big hole in the ship, Miliband will flood it to the bottom of the ocean if you let him drive!

Reply Posted by BOSS on Tuesday October 22 2013 at 21:18
Barnsley Council spend 12,000 a month on a consultant for 2 years when 55 hard working bin men road workers an grass cutters lose jobs JOKE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Reply Posted by Richard on Tuesday October 22 2013 at 22:43
and Barnsley Council is run by Labour! Its a disgrace.

Reply Posted by mr khan here on Tuesday October 22 2013 at 21:26
I have lived in England for 40yrs,the bloody council wanted my shop,so the polish could open as a polish shop,whats the bloody country coming to,letting all these foreigners in,bloody scandalous,mr khan serving Barnsley for 40yrs,

Reply Posted by sid on Tuesday October 22 2013 at 21:29
That's not funny though Mr khan here

Reply Posted by richard on Tuesday October 22 2013 at 21:34
so funny,i nearly fell off my chair...

Reply Posted by g on Tuesday October 22 2013 at 21:38
TORYS OUT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Reply Posted by anon on Tuesday October 22 2013 at 21:43
Hey Y. What's the job involve?

Reply Posted by Dez on Tuesday October 22 2013 at 22:03
Unfortunately it's the entire political system that's at fault here. Especially those at the helm at the minute. For one-the entire front bench are all millionaires. Most career politicians too. The fact is that the only see area's like Barnsley good for two things-debt and taxes. All of which will benefit London and the South East.

Reply Posted by .... on Tuesday October 22 2013 at 22:17
I see you've been making friends again dickie. Not much of a people person are you?

Reply Posted by Richard on Tuesday October 22 2013 at 22:40
Still feeling sorry for you No Name/Imposter

I'll see you on the next post ;-) as you'll be sure to troll that one too!

Truth must come out, Labour OUT!! :-)

Reply Posted by .... on Tuesday October 22 2013 at 23:02
What are you then a nazi?

Reply Posted by Collet on Tuesday October 22 2013 at 23:02
Don't think people should be subjected to all this crap, only one thing to solve the problems around our area, and that is to smarten place up and that means people as well, have never seen as many scruffy foul mouthed walking around town in my life,I feel scared doing my shopping some days God help future generations,it's up to you all to get together because MPs and Councillors are all as bad whatever party,you must all get together and bring power to the people

Reply Posted by ken on Tuesday October 22 2013 at 23:36
What about all the tory mp's caught fiddling their expenses? You fail to mention them.And for someone who claims not to be a tory your praise and defence of them says otherwise

Reply Posted by ken on Tuesday October 22 2013 at 23:46
Sid why do you think they are throwing all this money at mineral- rich Congo and oil rich Nigeria?

Reply Posted by Richard on Wednesday October 23 2013 at 00:15
Ken, I am most certainly not a Tory. I can however, see the positives of the coalition, which is reaching a far higher number of people. You only need to look at the combined voting figures to see that.

Your logic of mineral rich Congo and Oil rich Nigeria is an interesting one. Iraq is extremely oil rich and it cost £37bn going to war....yet our petrol prices hadn't gone down at all during Labours position in power. The current coalition can actually now brag that petrol prices are now at their lowest since 2008.

Reply Posted by sid on Tuesday October 22 2013 at 23:56
I'm not sure ken,but it,ll not be a good reason I'm imagining. Shall we ask Richard,he,all tell us,in an anti labour kinda way no doubt. I feel like I've been banging my head against a brick wall.

Reply Posted by kilkenny on Wednesday October 23 2013 at 00:10
Now we all know Sid is an old git (11 plus?!) but he talks some sense. His argument at 23.34 is very good

Reply Posted by sid on Wednesday October 23 2013 at 00:14
Hey Kilkenny,you should have helped. He's a slippery guy that Richard. Haha.

Reply Posted by really on Wednesday October 23 2013 at 01:00
You fail to see a lot of things. Go to sleep tory boy

Reply Posted by STEVEO on Wednesday October 23 2013 at 06:45
Funnily enough Richard went very quiet when I posted the following in another thread:

Richard, you post in a Tory-Esque brogue and have slightly hinted to being a Neo-Liberal?

I often hear the "ooh Labour spent far too much" speak in many posts on here, but alas it seems that the large majority of people do not know the true facts.
Labour effectively inherited a country that was almost bankrupt from years of Tory decline and underinvestment.
The Tory way of raising revenue was to hike interest rates to an eye watering 18% and sell off all our utilities in the 80's and 90's and pave the way to move from a manufacturing industry to the service industry from which our country has simply not recovered.
You cannot "disband" a major European manufacturing base and simply replace it with a more service oriented industry, the maths simply do not work.
Statisticians calculate that the demise in British manufacturing has lowered our GDP by almost 50% over the last 30 years.

Economies are like a double helix,(Think of a wavy line / or a graph) they ascend and descend on a regular cycle irrespective of who is in power, the helix always meets somewhere in the middle eventually.

(The double helix is also used to represent money taken in via direct taxation and revenues paid out for public services etc)

However, to put things into laymen's terms, the last time the Tories were in power the helix was descending and almost bottomed out (on the graph) until they started with the utility and council house "fire sales".
Then the Helix started to ascend due to the revenues that had (artificially) stimulated the economy.
Once that money was "spent" the helix almost bottomed out again and when labour gained power the helix almost went to three quarters and dipped to near the bottom due to the credit crunch.
Since Labour HAD to bail out the banks the helix almost flatlined.
However, the only good thing that Labour did whilst in power was to introduce quantitive easing which did stimulate the economy (despite nefarious Tory propaganda) and good old George (Gideon) Osbourne (Trust fund toff) is still printing more money to stimulate the economy as his Labour predecessor did.

As for your comment about the PIGS (Portugal, Italy, Greece , Spain) ( & Cyprus) I am not an economist but common sense dictates that if we have countries in the EU which have weak economies such as the PIGS then they were always going to need a bail out.
Places such as Greece which heavily relied on the tourist industry and Spain with her construction were ALWAYS destined to fail.
The EU was a FRANCO/GERMAN obsession, an obsession which in principle would have "spread the wealth" across the EU member states, but it simply has not, can not and will not work.
France - Agriculture / Germany - Manufacturing BOTH have the BIGGEST subsidies of the entire EU, Hardly surprising is it?

You have to look at the bigger picture regarding the EU member states also, what do places such as Poland, Latvia, Bulgaria, Romania actually bring to the EU table ?
Cheap Labour and that is all it boils down to i'm afraid.

The Labour party (originally set up by the working man for the working man) and their Trade Union partners in particular have given us the following:
two day weekends
8 hour working days
the retirement age
maternity leave
occupational health and safety
workplace pensions
equality
the right not to be sacked because you became pregnant, got married or became ill
pay increases
collective bargaining
the minimum wage (that's another story for another day though)
the right for the working classes to organise themselves
a standard of living above that of the 1850's
and much much more

The Tories are trying to erode everything the working man has worked for by watering down Health & Safety legislation, employment regulations .pay, pensions and terms and conditions.

People don't go out on strike for the sake of it, they withdraw their labour in absolute protest and rightly so.

Yes gone are the days of the 70's Red sabre rattlers, the union movement is still alive and has to adapt to modern times.

I am sure that if your employer turned round to you and said ~ sorry kid but were gonna have to chop your pension, oh and by the way you are going to have to take a 20% cut (in real terms) in your wages then you would most certainly have something to say about it.

I do agree that things have to change, but we are an extremely wealthy country there is easily enough money about to ensure that everyone in this country receives a decent pension.
The unfortunate thing is the ones who have the wealth do not want to relinquish their said wealth and will do everything in their power to ensure that they keep their wealth even if it means underhand tactics such as offshore "tax havens" (Liechtenstein anyone) and tax avoidance (Google /Amazon / Starbucks) to name but a few.

If we are to have a society that prospers then those who have the wealth are at some stage going to have to relinquish some of their vast riches that they have amassed off the backs of the working classes whether they like it or not.

Reply Posted by mr khan here on Wednesday October 23 2013 at 07:50
steveo,well said.better than reading the morning paper,at least this made sense,mr khan serving Barnsley for over 40yrs,must dash now fellow WABers,doing the bloody paper round,

Reply Posted by sid on Wednesday October 23 2013 at 08:16
That's what I'm talking about Richard,but I haven't got Steveo,s knowledge.

Reply Posted by sid on Wednesday October 23 2013 at 08:17
Oh god. Mr.khan,you're bonkers. Good start to my day,a little titter.

Reply Posted by dedatodd on Wednesday October 23 2013 at 08:52
I am not so sure that Dan has done himself any favours here, the benefit caps and the entire austerity program is going to have a big impact on Barnsley (along with other Northern, ex industrial Towns). However has been a Labour run council for a good number of years and this type of headline may well get the light shone in the faces of the council and its leaders? Why in the bumper years haven't the council done more to help growth? With the industrial back ground of Barnsley we could have had for example wind turbine manufacturing.
If this does nothing else but gets the current council to stop naval gazing and proactive work / messages.... If you have done something worth saying then say it!

Reply Posted by STEVEO on Wednesday October 23 2013 at 14:36
I totally agree, the thing that absolutely astonishes me is that we are more or less in the middle of the country with excellent road infrastructure, easy access to the M1 (etc) and have vast swathes of brownfield sites which are ripe for development.
And just what employers have BMBC "managed" to attract to our town since our mining industry was closed?

Call centres and little else!

Oh and ASOS, But i'll not mention them today (for a change)

Reply Posted by Dez on Wednesday October 23 2013 at 09:26
Well said STEVEO. Put far more eloquently than I could.

Some people on here need to get their facts straight. Emotion and opinion take the front seat far too often.

Oh, and I'm far from retirement age. Ffs...

Reply Posted by Ernest Ramsbottom on Wednesday October 23 2013 at 12:57
Don't forget this labour council agreed the construction of a 50ft nit comb outside the town hall at the cost of thousands ....

Reply Posted by murk on Wednesday October 23 2013 at 13:11
The Labour council accepted the free donation of a sculpture by a well known artist and only paid for its transport and erection, a fraction of the cost of commisioning a new work of art for outside the museum...
The museum that makes use of a Town Hall that was half empty, rarely visited by the public and brings people into Barnsley town centre to spend their money instead of Meadowhall, Sheffield or Leeds. Whereby the economy improves in the local area, which means we get more positive comments from outside Yorkshire, which means more people visit - and spend their money.
That means more money can be spent on improving the local area.

Reply Posted by Ernest Ramsbottom on Wednesday October 23 2013 at 13:17
Utter rubbish .... Who would want to visit a sh1thole like Barnsley ... We have a museum that has an old carrousel from the indoor market in it and an exhibition on about the Romans ... The only things the Romans did when the came into Barnsley was get the fook out !

Reply Posted by Ernest Ramsbottom on Wednesday October 23 2013 at 13:19
And that was because they were chased out !!! Would people really want to come and visit our pound shops ???

Reply Posted by ken on Wednesday October 23 2013 at 14:51
Have to agree with that places like donny attract more, and we are much better situated

Reply Posted by Dez on Wednesday October 23 2013 at 14:52
Like I said STEVEO-it's the entire political system that's shot. It's rotten from the top down.

Reply Posted by barnsley bob on Thursday October 24 2013 at 11:30
they should come to barnsley town centre and bulldoze the lot of it.bring it into the 21st century.its a town thats reet out of the dark ages.its a town that time forgot and doesnt want to be reminded off.

Reply Posted by STEVEO on Friday October 25 2013 at 15:32
So David Cameron was on last nights Look North on a visit to ASOS.

Absolutely NO mention of how they treat their employees like dirt by employing them via agencies on Zero Hours contracts , supress their wages by just paying above the minimum wage and ACTIVELY discriminate against Barnsley people born and bred in this town by SOLELY employing Eastern European Financial Migrant Workers.

Asos have just announced massive profits, Hardly surprising when they pay "crap" wages.

It has also been reported in Retail Week that Asos founder Nick Robertson has given "staff" £2.8 Million in bonuses , which staff are these you say? The shop floor staff that create the wealth for the company? ERM no bonuses go to the upper echelons of the management structure, surprise surprise!

He (Robertson) also said that Asos will be in our town for many years to come, of course you will, excellent road network, cheap (mostly foreign labour) and EU funding for building the Asos warehouse in our town in the first place.

For those that didn't see it Cameron ( cammy poos) was banging on about "the" recovery and that Asos was a good example.

Such a good example eh, just shows how out of touch these privileged Tory idiots are doesn't it!

Oh and Duggy Dugher even made an appearance banging on about how Labour built the Dearne towns link road etc etc , thanks Labour and Duggy dugher, hahahaha.

Reply Posted by barnsley bob on Friday October 25 2013 at 16:04
barnsley is a dump.no matter what they do to barnsley,its still dump and it will always be a dump.its got filthy streets,alcoholics and smackheads in barnsley town centre.its a place where people would be ashamed to admit as being from.its a town like no other in south yorkshire.

Reply Posted by susan on Friday October 25 2013 at 16:27
just heard some fantastic news.wab,s own sid is to star in emmerdale .weell done sid.we are proud of you and wish you every success.well done mate.

Reply Posted by barnsley bob on Friday October 25 2013 at 16:33
yeah i know.sids telling everyone on wab hes going to be in emmerdale .sid his self told me all about it.what a guy sid is.

Reply Posted by susan on Friday October 25 2013 at 16:40
just shows you what you can achieve if you set your mind to it.i wish him every success in his acting career.well done sid.

Reply Posted by kendray ken on Friday October 25 2013 at 17:11
i hope our sid does well for his self.me and the lads of the old no 7 pub in barnsley would like to raise a pint in honour and give a big shout out to sid and say well done mate.

Reply Posted by Clare Taylor on Friday October 25 2013 at 19:12
What about labour council wasting money knocking library down and building a college.why not build it somewhere else.didn't they knock down a school not long ago that had millions spent on a gym.what a waste