Pregnant Woman Has Lucky Escape After Car Accident

Wednesday October 16 2013

A PREGNANT woman had a miraculous escape after a car crash in Barnsley.

Amanda Claydon, 32, from Jump, was travelling in her Citroen C3 with Aaron, her two-year-old son, on Monday morning.

Having fallen victim of the slippery conditions on Broad Carr Lane, Hoyland, after this week's persistent rain, the car ended up on its side - narrowly missing a tree.

Amanda, who is 26 weeks pregnant, said: "We have got to be proud of our emergency services - they're fantastic. I can't thank the people involved in our rescue enough.

"Thanks to an off-duty police officer, members of the public who stopped my car from rolling on its roof, the police, fire brigade, paramedics, ambulance team and the staff at Barnsley Hospital my son, bump and I walked away unscathed!"

Her husband, Adam, said Amanda had had a very lucky escape and reiterated his wife's thanks to all those who helped.

Reply Posted by KymH on Wednesday October 16 2013 at 09:54
Really feel for u, I would have been in shock, hope u and ur family are well xx

Reply Posted by Nicki on Wednesday October 16 2013 at 10:12
You have a guardian angel watching over all of you. Thank goodness you're all safe and well xx

Reply Posted by bob on Wednesday October 16 2013 at 10:57
Wow, glad you walked away. Persistent rain doesn't make roads slippery though.

Reply Posted by rac man on Wednesday October 16 2013 at 13:40
as a rac breakdown man,what rubbish you talk @BOB@ you are way of the mark,i visit lots of breakdowns/accidents were the car as aqu plained due to the standing water or heavy persisting rain,guess you never drove in the rain? glad the family are all fine,,

Reply Posted by Michelle on Wednesday October 16 2013 at 11:34
Course it does bob specially when braking in rain or if there's standing water makes it even worse glad all there managed to get out safe x

Reply Posted by crazybird on Wednesday October 16 2013 at 11:54
Glad to hear everyone safe and well. Our emergency services are fantastic! Of course the road would be slippy with persistent rain, even my steering feels light and my traction control kicks in! :-)

Reply Posted by Carol Claydon on Wednesday October 16 2013 at 14:20
I would also like to thank from the bottom of my heart each and everyone of you that helped my daughter in law , Aaron and baby bump on Monday. You are all stars.

Reply Posted by bob on Wednesday October 16 2013 at 15:20
No sorry. First rain after dry spell can be slippery but persistent rain washes this away leaving a relatively clean road. Standing water doesn't cause aquaplaning, speed does that. Anyway no harm done, though rac man should know this.

Reply Posted by justsaying on Wednesday October 16 2013 at 15:38
There's always one who has to be so negative and think they know it all and clearly they DONT (eh Bob), for good sake man we should just all be so relieved that the lady and her son & bump are all ok and not hurt I would think. Accidents do happen all the time and YES it is so very easy for any vehicle to slip, swerve etc in all weather condition but of course this would never happen to you as your perfect or you like to think so.
All the best to Amanda and her little boy and the baby bump xx

Reply Posted by Adam Claydon on Wednesday October 16 2013 at 15:47
Bob. Why use a story like this to create an argument. This story is to thank the emergency services and recognise the excellent work they do like they did rescuing my wife and son. I went to the crash site and saw for my self how wet, greasy and slippy that stretch of road was because of the rain.

Reply Posted by bob on Wednesday October 16 2013 at 16:09
Wow, why the hostility.My first thought and comment was for the safety of the lady and her family. I followed this with a one line comment at the inaccurate report. there is no argument only towards me. I don't doubt the conditions just the cause.

Reply Posted by Anon on Thursday October 17 2013 at 15:35
'Inaccurate'? Haha! How's that inaccurate? Feel sorry for WAB, they post a story like this and some idiot makes an argument out of nothing. Rain makes a road slippery - fact! Also why grip levels are far reduced in the wet.

Could've been a tragic story but you're very lucky! Glad it ended well!

Reply Posted by sam on Thursday October 17 2013 at 07:42
Really pleased this lady and her two year and her unborn are ok. As a professional driver the roads are slippery at this time of year the falling leafs and the amount rain, plus you aquaplane at low speed

Reply Posted by de da on Tuesday October 29 2013 at 14:12