Mum Charged For Taking Too Long In Asda

Tuesday October 15 2013

A MUM-OF-THREE owes £210 in Asda parking fines - just for doing her weekly shops.

Gill Bishop is angry after being told because her Saturday morning shopping trips take so long, she had outstayed her welcome in the car park at Asda in Barnsley.

She says she was unaware there were any restrictions on how long she was supposed to take to do her shopping.

"Each Saturday morning for many months I have visited Asda while my daughter is at drama group," Gill said. "I go with my two sons, aged three and 17 months.

"We go into the supermarket cafe to have breakfast then we do a food and household item shop, then a non-food shop - because Asda trollies with kids' seats aren't big enough to do it all in one run.

"Then we go back into the cafe for a drink and snack, as it's exhausting work shopping with two toddlers.

On the way out, about 2.5 hours later, I normally fill up with diesel. On average I spend £150 per visit."

But now Gill, of Bellmont Crescent, Hemsworth, has been sent three £70 parking charge notices for her last three visits in September.

She said: "The company Smart Parking want me to pay £210 for doing my weekly shopping. They say this is due to me exceeding the parking time limit. I have never seen a sign saying anything about time limits.

"They say the only way they will reconsider the charges is if I can supply receipts proving I was inside Asda shopping all that time on each of those three occasions.

"Obviously I had thrown all the receipts away in the weeks between shopping and getting the parking tickets. No-one keeps receipts for weeks on end, especially for cafes. It's simply ridiculous."

Asda have now told Gill that her parking fines have been dismissed. A spokesman said: "These parking restrictions are designed to prevent people leaving their vehicles all day whilst they go elsewhere.

"They're certainly not there to impose time restrictions on genuine Asda shoppers. We would advise anyone who has been shopping for longer than the allocated period of time to keep their receipts and if they receive a parking notice to contact the store."

What do you think to this? Has this happened to you at the town's Asda?

Reply Posted by Nectar on Tuesday October 15 2013 at 10:16
Or go to Sainsbury's?

Reply Posted by Gav on Tuesday October 15 2013 at 13:01
Where? only Sainsbury's In Barnsley are those rip off express stores!! and Morrisons charge to park too, Tesco's is a long way from Barnsley centre and a nightmare to get to on a Saturday!

Reply Posted by mystery on Tuesday October 15 2013 at 16:37
Morrisons don't charge customers for parking. Indeed you pay £1 for a parking ticket (which again limits you to 2 hours) and you get your £1 back at the tills

Reply Posted by Terry on Tuesday October 15 2013 at 10:34
Well if they want to stop people parking in the car park that are not going into the shop then do a ticket system where the shopper HAS to get a ticket issued from the supermarket this can be from a machine INSIDE the shop when you have finished you visit, OR after you have paid for your shopping at the till. This way the ONLY way to get out in your car IS with the ticket. Other option is to offer redeamable tickets from pay and display machine. You can redeem the cost of the ticket at the till or cafe when you have done.

Reply Posted by lee c on Tuesday October 15 2013 at 10:42
my sister as been done three times, not for parking in asda, but for useing petrol station ( shes a driving instructor ) and on both occasions only photographing entering asda. i argued the point out as we live on the street at side of asda, and the camera is pointing at the junction. they are actually breaking the law by taking pictures of people while on a public highway without the consent. i contacted the council who stated that the cameras should ONLY be pointing at the junction of asda car park.
i contacted smart park, who sent me a picture of their activation line............and its no where near the junction.
the camera will catch you going to mcdonalds, petrol, or the recycle point at the bottom of the car park.
so for example if you enter canal way twice in one day, lets say, one visit to mcdonalds at 10 am then a lttle shop later on at 5pm the camera will assume you have been in asda 7 hours, because they only photo you one way.
a total scam.
please note.important.!!!!!!!
this is nothing to do with asda, it is smart park that have the contract for the carpark, although asda will wipe the fine if you can prove you were shopping.

Reply Posted by mae brussel on Tuesday October 15 2013 at 10:45
Read the story again.
All shes doing is lingering and using it as a long stay car park.
I bet the other kids are realy pissed off wit h the ritual of all this shopping and eating till its time to pick up other one from drama classes.
Supermarkets are not long stay car parks

Reply Posted by Katherine on Tuesday October 15 2013 at 10:46
Regardless of anyone's opinion, it says Asda wipedthe charges for her so I don't really see the point of thia story, except maybe to just make people aware they might be fined.

Reply Posted by AnnieD on Tuesday October 15 2013 at 11:09
I received two tickets within a fortnight. In both instances I had a eye appointment at the Asda Opticians (and they were running predictably behind), which we then followed with lunch in the cafe' and our weekly shop. I had, fortunately, my eye appt card, receipts from the cafe' and from the weekly shop for both occassions, and the fines were dropped. HOWEVER the signs posted by smart park are minescule and they should be made to put up signs that are easily readable from 3 metres away. Asda should also have signs in the shop reminding shoppers of the parking time limit and suggesting they keep their receipts for at least two months (because I received my smart park letters 5 weeks after each visit, sneaky sods!) We go to Morrisons now.

Reply Posted by donna on Tuesday October 15 2013 at 11:13
I stopped going to Asda and now shop elsewhere due to them starting this ridiculous parking fine rubbish. It's just another scam by big companies. It's ridiculous. And think there excuse is poor ad before they charged the fines you could always get a space for shopping even if it was a top end of car park, so that proves to me there wasn't a great need for the fines to be put in place.

Reply Posted by Tony on Tuesday October 15 2013 at 11:45
I don't blame Asda for having such a system, why should they provide free parking for town shoppers and workers? Two nosebags per visit?

Reply Posted by p on Tuesday October 15 2013 at 11:49
Morrisons have a lot better system. A pound for parking and you can claim it back in store either at the till or cafe.

Reply Posted by Ackerman on Tuesday October 15 2013 at 12:00
They scrapped the fines what is the problem.

Reply Posted by Brettoner on Tuesday October 15 2013 at 12:22
My sister as 4 or 5 ov them and she works thear thats a laff int it

Reply Posted by Bobby on Tuesday October 15 2013 at 12:31
I'd rather they start fining people for parking in Parent and child spots with their sports cars

Reply Posted by Amanda on Tuesday October 15 2013 at 12:41
Isn't it 3hr you get anyway? Same as Tesco? That should be plenty of time to be fair.

Reply Posted by mark on Tuesday October 15 2013 at 13:04
3 hrs is tesco's and its enough really but if you call at cafe and then do shop it can get close. They should fine people who mis use the baby/toddle space with big arse cars who dont even have kids..pure lazy...and its working vans too.

Reply Posted by Marky on Tuesday October 15 2013 at 13:04
Fine the idiots in the disabled bays. I used to have a badge and haven't renewed it this time as it is a waste of time. There are never any disabled spaces anywhere as most are taken by inconsiderate able bodied people who don't have badges.

Reply Posted by bill on Tuesday October 15 2013 at 13:23
No disrespect here Marky,but if you can now do without one,did you really need it in the first place?

Reply Posted by anon on Tuesday October 15 2013 at 18:17
It's not about needing it Bill, it's about being denied the opportunity to use it. I'd much prefer the disabled bays to be further away then the lazy Nissan Cashcow drivers wouldn't park there. If we can get round a supermarket, we can get the hundred or so yards from the car to the entrance - but we need the space to get in/out.

Reply Posted by bill on Tuesday October 15 2013 at 18:55
Yes anon. I see your point. I realise the need for space for the door. I too have struggled getting the kids in and out of the car. Its enough to make you scream. There are some ignorant drivers I agree.

Reply Posted by Gav on Tuesday October 15 2013 at 13:07
They should fine the lazy and inconsiderate people who park in disabled spots but aren't disabled, those that park in the parent and toddler spots and have teenage kids or non at all, those idiots that park their vans smack outside the doors, and morons who park or wait for long amounts of time in the taxi collection point!

Reply Posted by just me on Tuesday October 15 2013 at 13:17
I notice that not one person knows the law about these "parking charge notices". They are illegal, and have no legal entitlement to issue "fines"! They are not a local authority. Check out Money saving expert. Everything you need to know is on there. Its extortion, and they try to use scare tactics to get people to pay. DONT!

Reply Posted by yournotmecosi'mme on Tuesday October 15 2013 at 14:15
I was just about to make the same comment - cant remember if it was Watchdog or the daytime show with the 3 women that ran a story about these "parking fines". their advice was just ignore them as they cant force you to pay.

Reply Posted by just me on Tuesday October 15 2013 at 13:26
This is slightly off topic, but what about the inconsiderate disabled drivers who park in parent and child spaces?!

Reply Posted by yournotmecosi'mme on Tuesday October 15 2013 at 14:23
I hold my hand up to having done this - and i stood arguing with a mother holding a toddler in her arms cos there were no disabled bays available so I parked in the mum & baby space she wanted.. . . she was holding her toddler whilst her friend was putting her pushchair up - I was holding up my cancer ridden mother and helping her to walk inside so she could get a wheelchair and do her weekly shop herself instead of relying on others - desperately trying to hang onto her independence. If I'd had the strength to carry her I gladly would have. My mum died the following week.

Reply Posted by Maxine on Tuesday October 15 2013 at 14:37
They ought to focus on the people parking in parent and child spaces who haven't got children or the people parking in disabled spaces who aren't disabled. Not once could I get in when my kids were young and to say there are so many disabled spaces taken up when I go in everybody looks incredibly healthy.

Reply Posted by dont pay on Tuesday October 15 2013 at 16:01
the parking companies other than the council and the police don't need paying... look for the police crime number on any paperwork... they can make them look official and from the police but with no crime number-no need to pay!

Reply Posted by Mystery on Tuesday October 15 2013 at 16:52
As stated above these "parking fines" aren't worth the paper they are written on. Personally Id just ignore them and any follow up threats. They ARE NOT enforceable. All these companies can do is enquire with the DVLA who the registered keeper is (which anyone can do). If you do feel the need to communicate with them tell them someone else used your car that day and you don't want to tell them who it was. They are not legally empowered (unlike councils and police) to make you tell them who the driver was at the time of the offence.

Reply Posted by king Fred on Tuesday October 15 2013 at 19:16
All I can say is hurry up Sainsburys and open your store in Barnsley!

Reply Posted by Miss.N on Tuesday October 15 2013 at 20:12
anon, don't brand all Nissan Qasqi drivers as inconsiderate; our car is one and we are far from! As for the story, she had the fines wiped. End of.

Reply Posted by Kirsty on Tuesday October 15 2013 at 23:21
I find it hard to believe 2 and a half hours for shopping mainly,as she needs to do 2 trolleys of shopping for just 1 week? Even on a monthly shop I don't spend more than 60-80 minutes for the family shop...And those signs are very prominent at asda Barnsley... I've noticed them I think they have been redesigned recently, probably why I noticed them but the 2 1/2 hour limit seems to jump out. Also, the parking fines are enforceable through the county courts, as its parking on private land, so the company will provide the photo of the car entering and exiting the car park and often that will be enough to prove liability. Often, like in this case the landholder will waive the charge.

Reply Posted by kilkenny on Wednesday October 16 2013 at 09:22
Never read such utter crap in my life.

She says "Obviously I had thrown all the receipts away in the weeks between shopping and getting the parking tickets.

Now I can understand her throwing the receipts away for the food items, but she says she returns to the store to buy non-food items. Now you would keep the receipts for them. Also, most people pay by debit card these days. Maybe she should check her bank statements to prove where she was at the time. I think she is using Asda as free parking whilst her kid is in drama class.

Reply Posted by bobbie on Wednesday October 16 2013 at 14:29
Kilkenny,,,,what a lot of bulls@@t,most people pay with debit cards,get facts right before post utter crap...

Reply Posted by Jo on Wednesday October 16 2013 at 10:19
I'm afraid Asda would have lost my custom! Flaming ridiculous!! Another big money making racket, happened to a friend of mine too!! Obviously this was sorted out this time for the poor customer but i'm sure having a young family to look after,, she could done well without all the stress and time sorting this out must have caused!! Tut! Rant over......

Reply Posted by haypee on Thursday October 17 2013 at 17:15
Obviously this woman wanted free parking while her daughter was at her dance class.
Two meals, two trolleys of shopping and two kids , who does she think she's kidding ?
Shame the fines arnt enforceable

Reply Posted by kilkenny on Friday October 18 2013 at 09:30
@bobbie - I bet you live in one of the following areas:

Kendray
Athersley
Grimethorpe
Thurnscoe

Reply Posted by kilkenny on Sunday October 20 2013 at 12:07
@bobbie - now read my post VERY CAREFULLY.

"Also, most people pay by debit cards these days"

So why reply with "most people pay with debit cards"

You are a little dense aren't you?

Reply Posted by me on Monday October 21 2013 at 10:31
i go shopping there by myself i only shop for 2 of us and i can take up to 3 hours so i think this lady does well since she has the kids and has snacks there too, she should be able to take as long as she wants with or without kids as for this overstaying i did not know anything about it either, it is ridiculous and i think i might shop elswere as i hate rushing and i do not need the stress and worry of getting fines like this poor mum did ... Shame on you Asda

Reply Posted by Harth on Friday December 13 2013 at 14:31
I generally prefer to spend as short a time at Asda as possible so don't see the issue.

It's full of binners shopping in slippers most of the week.

Reply Posted by me on Wednesday September 3 2014 at 17:05
I have just yesterday received a parking fine for 'staying too long at asda' the problem is firstly we went to mcdonalds for our dinner then moved the car into asda car park. I had with me my two children aged 4 and 17 month and my 70 year old nan. Who was this person who decided that you have a set time to do your shopping in and the and the amount of money shoppers spend in their store is that not enough so they add a fine on top of this. It is discusting how the cameras are positioned and for saving receipt, who saves them for a food shop. Luckily for me I paid by card so can prove I was shopping at asda.

Reply Posted by Guido fawkes on Wednesday September 3 2014 at 17:12
whats your problem then? if you can proof you were shopping you have nothing to worry about, the problem started years ago when people who worked in town were taken the car park up by parking all day for free, good on asda I say,