News » WAB Debate

Young Driver Proposals - A WAB Debate

Monday October 14 2013

Are you in favour of the proposals? Are you in favour of the proposals?

LEARNER drivers could have to wait until they're 18 before they're allowed to take their driving test, as well as having curfews and probationary licences in an attempt to slash the death toll on our roads. What do you think? Will this help? It'd be good to hear from our younger readers, too.

The government is considering issuing 12-month probationary licences until people are 19 to try to cut the number of accidents involving young people.

The proposals include new drivers having to do at least 100 hours of driving in the day and at least 20 hours of night-time driving.

New drivers would also face a curfew between 10pm and 5am - unless a passenger aged over 30 was in the car.

The guidelines, prepared for the Department for Transport, would also see new motorists face a lower drink-drive limit for a year, regardless of their age.

Is this fair? Are you in favour? Do you think it'd help to reduce the amount of young driver-related deaths on our roads? Have your say below.

Reply Posted by Katie on Monday October 14 2013 at 12:13
Got my provisional in 2009 for my 17th birthday. Took my first lesson in 2010 after Christmas i then passed sometime in 2011. I did almost all weathers at that point (snow, bad rain, sunny weather ect) I also asked to do a couple night time lesson's to practice learn in the dark and when to use my lights at the right time. Now 20, I agree that drivers should wait a year until they try to pass their practical driving test. It took me about 6 attempts to pass my theory and passed practical first time. To sit behind a wheel you have to be ready and listen to the instuctor about whether your ready or not. Yes, everyone is different maybe some learn quicker but a year gives young people more chances to get to learn more about the car, how it drives in weathers, day/night etc etc. - However this curfew between 10pm and 5am is ridiculos, it's stopping young people getting jobs in different places and if they have a curfew they may have to get out of work earlier than planned. With or without this curfew I can see it caughing more problems. I personally wouldn't have been happy if this was the case when I passed! People need to get out of the roads to learn more instead of having an instutor next to them and curfews. Lean from their own mistakes and get to know the roads themselevs and how different it is without an instructor and their learner cars!

Reply Posted by g on Monday October 14 2013 at 12:41
i agree make it 18 like other things like voteing drinking etc but i dont think theres any age for cutting accidents accidents can happen to anybody at any time thats why there called accidents i think probaly limit engine sizes so the youngens with rich mummy and daddies are treated same instead of high performance cars that are a accident waiting to happen in wrong hands any body can make a car go its what you do with it in between and you only learn to drive when youve past your test because your on your own in hundreds of situations on the defence side of the young i have been involved in accident recovery for 30 yr and its a varied age group not all young i have sons of my own 1 is on road and 1 will be affected by this if it happens insurance companys also disciminate its still cheaper for a female tenager than a male and theres as many girl racers out there as boy racers belive me

Reply Posted by bookworm86 on Monday October 14 2013 at 12:53
I haven't passed my test yet I am currently getting applying for one now. I must admit having to have lessons for a year wouldn't bother me at all but the curfew is ridicules. what if you have a job and you finish at 10 so you can get home but there as been an accident and your stuck in traffic for an hour or more you would then be over the curfew and breaking the law it is crazy

Reply Posted by Tasha on Monday October 14 2013 at 13:02
I'm 18, I don't think its fair for them to penalize young drivers, accidents happen whether your old, middle aged or young. Should stop being so discriminating.

Reply Posted by Collet on Monday October 14 2013 at 13:51
The way I admit it only applies to only a minority they chase up and down like mad men especially at night ad make it 21. Like drinking.?

Reply Posted by Purple Haze on Monday October 14 2013 at 16:41
40% of new drivers at 17/18/19 have an accident within the first 6 months of driving.

They do only 5% of the overall mileage in this country but cause over 20% of serious accidents.

There does not appear to be many young working commuters in South Yorkshire so I think that a night time curfew would make sense perhaps real workers could get special dispensation for work purposes.

I am all for younger drivers to have to do more. There are too many people on the road and this could help. Plus cut down on boy racers who drive around at night being nuisances with their mates ( who they later kill)!! Also lets stop older drivers too say the over 70s.

Reply Posted by Flapper on Monday October 14 2013 at 17:52
It ought to be 21 years keep most of the smackheads off the streets.

Reply Posted by lee c on Tuesday October 15 2013 at 09:06
agree with the age change, however, the curfew would cause issues especially if the government expect the young to work, car share ( to save the planet ) e.t.c.
it is the annoying little shits on the piss 'n' pops (mopeds) that need a age restriction & definitely a curfew !!!!!!!

Reply Posted by Beestah on Tuesday October 15 2013 at 12:12
Not an age thing just make sure safety is a key part of training. checking junctions not just make sure you are seen to look in mirror and blind spot but ' tell me what you see' I suppose they have introduced the haard test along with theory though. Maybe a set minimum lesson time in busy traffic, urban and country roads, dual carridgeways et al.

People just need to be aware of others and drive safely - it isn't always the young uns at fault

although Lee C - the mopeds give them time to learn the road properly while on a low powered vehicle, on which they are exposed and have to be aware of the dangers of the road, on the contrary I'd say the piss n pops should be encouraged prior to going straight on the road alone as a car user.

I bet the accident rate for first time drivers is higher than new drivers who previously had road experience on a "piss&pop"(?)

Reply Posted by Shornie on Thursday October 17 2013 at 20:22
I disagree with the curfew part of this. The age thing I don't see as a bad thing. I didn't start my lessons til I was 19 as until then, I had no reason to drive, I could get buses to work. Then when work picked up and I started having to get to more places and fit more clients into my schedule I realised I needed a car. I'm now 22, and as a young driver have had no accidents. But the curfew would seriously irritate me. On a Monday evening I finish with my last client at 9.30pm, and I would struggle to be home for 10pm! If you pass the test it shouldn't matter whether you're 18 or 48, you should be taught properly how to deal with all eventualities. And if someone is too immature to drive sensibly then it should be their parents/instructors/etc that put a halt to their driving ambitions until such a time as they can grow up a little bit.

Reply Posted by Katherine on Thursday October 17 2013 at 20:40
I agree with some of it but a curfew would be ridiculous! What if these teenagers need their car for working late or doing night shifts?

People who think young drivers don't need cars for work are ignorant. Around Barnsley, the only jobs most young people can get are in warehouses which involves working unusual hours, and being able to drive allows young people access to these jobs.

My boyfriend passed his test when he was 17. He was and still is at age 23 one the safest drivers I know. In fact, he is MUCH safer than my parents.

If you want to restrict new drivers, it should be for drivers of ALL ages. It's not about how old you are, it's about how experienced and well-taught you are.

Reply Posted by Sam on Thursday October 17 2013 at 20:57
I think It will only shift the stats to a older age group. The time curfew is stupid because if there was a emergency eg. needs the hospital, if there is nobody that is 30 or over they are not going to be able to go to the hospital. it's stupid you can go in the army and learn and maybe kill someone with a gun at 16 years old but they are not going to let you drive between 10pm and 5am doesn't make sense! What happens if you work nights and you finish your shift at midnight you cant drive home. This is not the way to do it, they need to alter the tests.

Reply Posted by KPO on Thursday October 17 2013 at 23:14
I am 21 and soon to be a mum. As of yet I don't drive I didn't like it so stopped learning. However id like to be able to drive by the time my baby is born and this is the same for my partner. If the law changes this won't happen and getting around as well as going back to work will be a problem. I work past 10pm regularly and know many young drivers who work unsociable hours. Ease of transport is the main reason people learn to drive. Yes new drivers may cause 20% of accidents but not all new drivers are young drivers. The other 80% of accidents are still caused by "experienced" drivers. In America they learn to drive younger and this has proven to work. I don't think that increasing the age will change a thing people who think it's "big" to drive dangerously will always think that way.

Reply Posted by j on Friday October 18 2013 at 08:26
While the minority of young drivers continue to think of a car as a 'toy' and not a potential 'lethal weapon' this issue will never be resolved.

Reply Posted by beth on Saturday October 19 2013 at 02:50
I am currently learning to drive and would be seriously pissed of if they changr it now. I am not out to crash or act a fool and to be honest its old drivers that need to get of the roadas they start to forget things and mostly forget how to drive! And the curfew is disgusting most jobs young peoplr can get is warehouse jobs as there building there careers up and work nights for extra cash. Discrimination if you ask me like teens with hoodys! This country needs to get a grip.

Reply Posted by Laura on Wednesday October 23 2013 at 16:00
I think this is completely ageist and penalises yet again those who can't afford to pay for their to have a further education.

Kids that have to study and work to pay for their studies are going to be penalised if they can't hold down a job which involves driving themselves home after 10pm. Think about it. How many students do evening bar work to help fund their studies? There are no buses to take them home after the pubs have closed.

What is the difference between a 17/18 year old learning to drive and a 40/50 year old learning to drive? Are we saying that if you pass your test at age 40 you are automatically a better driver than an 18 year old that has just passed their test? I have seen many 'mature' drivers making the most ridiculous driving decisions.

The curfew is ridiculous too. Why refuse them access to the roads at times when the roads are at their quietest!? That doesn't make sense at all. It's surely safer to be driving at 5am with hardly anything on the road than it is to be driving during rush hour traffic. Where is the evidence to say that more accidents happen during these hours? (I bet there isn't any!).

And who exactly is going to be in charge of adding up how many hours they have driven during the day and during the evening, and whether they have been out driving on their own after 10pm?! Will there be DVLA 'driver curfew' officers? Or will they have to get a note signed by their mum?! It's utterly ridiculous!