Town Centre Pub Gets Top Award

Thursday October 10 2013

THE White Bear pub is celebrating after being named the best pub in Barnsley.

It beat off competition from more than 280 outlets to be crowned overall winner in Barnsley’s Civic Trust Retail Awards, also scooping the award for best retail offer.

Judging was done through mystery customer visits and the White Bear, on Church Street, scored top marks.

The judges were impressed with the investment its owners, Wear Inns, had made, describing the facilities as 'superb' with excellent standards throughout the pub, which provided 'extremely good value for money'.

The judges paid tribute to the staff who they said were incredibly helpful and friendly, providing superb service, with nothing being too much trouble whether a customer was new to the pub or a regular.

"To be named the best pub was fantastic but then to get the overall retail award over so many of the town’s great businesses was amazing," said the pub's manager, Lee Bardsley.

The Barnsley Civic Trust works with local partners to deliver an award, for town centre shops and businesses, recognising business skills, innovation, architectural design, the impact of window displays on the street scene and customer service.

John Weir, managing director of Wear Inns, said: "We have spent a lot of money on refurbishing the pub and the function room and working with staff to create an excellent customer experience.

"We're very proud that The White Bear has won this prestigious which is a tribute to the hard work of Lee and his team."

Reply Posted by LOL on Friday October 11 2013 at 05:48
ITS ALSO THE MOST EXPENSIVE .

Reply Posted by Mystery on Friday October 11 2013 at 07:23
£1.70 a pint Monday to Thursday.....expensive????

Reply Posted by TO MYSTERY on Friday October 11 2013 at 07:36
TRY SAT SUN LIKE US WORKERS.

Reply Posted by Michael on Saturday October 12 2013 at 19:47
1. Turn off your caps lock, makes you look like a ranting maniac.
2. People can go to the pub on a weekday and still have a job. It's called enjoying 1 or 2, working different shifts or different days.
3. Calm the hell down.

Reply Posted by Claire beaumont on Tuesday October 15 2013 at 22:06
I highly disagree, after the chef threatening to give me and my friends food poisoning for simply asking how long our sandwiches would be as we had already been waiting over an hour, this wa the disgusting attitude we got. I asked to speak to the manager who was conveniently "busy" but seeing this post has reminded me of the terrible service we received, and tomorrow I will be calling the manager to let her know how the "chef" likes to poison he customers! Disgusting!

Reply Posted by Highly disagree! on Tuesday October 15 2013 at 22:17
I would love to know where the 'incredibly helpful and friendly staff' have disappeared to! Because they certainly aren't working there anymore! Absolutely disgusting customer service in this pub. Over an hours wait for food with no explanation or apology, when approached by me and a few friends we were threatened from behind closed doors...which are not sound proof! All the staff that were on shift that afternoon were horrendous.

Reply Posted by PoG on Wednesday October 16 2013 at 09:54
Well I was in saturday afternoon and the food was ready in no time like it always has when i've been, and delicious. The staff very friendly and helpful as ever. I find it hard to believe you are on about the same place

Reply Posted by Paul on Wednesday October 16 2013 at 13:59
I'm in there most days as i work close by. I have to say I have never waited long for food and I have never recieved bad service. The staff are always welcoming and friendly. Myself and my work collegues have been coming here on and off for years and everytime we have been very happy with the customer service. I wouldn't even say it was expensive either! It's alot cheaper than most places in town! Well done by the way all at White Bear well deserved..

Reply Posted by Lee Bardsley on Wednesday October 16 2013 at 14:51
I would like to take this opportunity to apologise if you feel you have received bad customer service at The White Bear. I’m the General Manager and if you would like to discuss this further please contact me direct on 01226-203-658 so we can resolve your concerns.

Reply Posted by Claire on Wednesday October 16 2013 at 16:33
Thankyou Lee but I was told the managers name is Janice Williams?? But I will be speaking to someone yes, as the service we recorded was disgusting. And yes we are on about the same place, and the bar staff can back me up on it as she was there to witness the disgusting marks made by the female chef too.

Reply Posted by BEST IN TOWN on Wednesday October 16 2013 at 21:01
I think it's the best place in town, never had any reason to complain!

Reply Posted by Sarah on Wednesday October 16 2013 at 21:03
I love the place even better since its been refurbished.