Police Arrest Three Men After Pistol Is Fired In Town Centre

Thursday October 10 2013

THE police have released a statement following a firearm incident in Barnsley in the early hours of Thursday morning.

An incident was reported to police at around 2.05am on October 10 on Wellington Street. A blank firing pistol is believed to have been discharged at the location and has been recovered by officers.

No one sustained any injuries and three men, one 24-year-old and two 27-year-olds, were arrested and are currently in police custody.

Wellington Street was closed until 8.30am.

Reply Posted by Me on Thursday October 10 2013 at 09:52
Absolutely ridiculous, what's our town coming to? It will be interesting to know who these three people are, drug users, alcoholics, etc?

Reply Posted by Richard on Thursday October 10 2013 at 09:56
How nice to read once again the utter shit hole my 2 year old daughter is living in and around. Scum.

Reply Posted by Primary Socialisation on Thursday October 10 2013 at 11:40
Bring your daughter up, teach her right and wrong - Don't start blaming society already when she is but two year old - blame the father?

Reply Posted by sam on Friday October 11 2013 at 13:46
Not happy then bugger off.

Reply Posted by Pind on Thursday October 10 2013 at 09:58
Probabley a local running club haveing a race round town Ha Ha

Reply Posted by Damen on Thursday October 10 2013 at 10:06
Stop moaning , should think ourselves lucky that this is rare round here , where I'm from this happens everyday n they're not blanks either ! Lol plastic gangsters

Reply Posted by Stop moaning?? on Thursday October 10 2013 at 10:09
Damen?? Seriously??

So because it happens just a bit less than where you are from, we should simply accept it and move on like its an acceptable part of life?

How utterly foolish and a moronic thing to say.

Reply Posted by king louis on Thursday October 10 2013 at 10:13
at least its a blank pistol, I like the comment "no one was hurt"...., by a non existent bullet? what did we expect to happen......a gun was fired which cannot take bullets and therefore the bullets luckily missed the crowds of onlookers, God only knows what would have been reported if there had been children playing in the street.

Someone was out with a toy gun so the police arrested him.. the end!

Reply Posted by Connor on Thursday October 10 2013 at 11:42
This assault most probably put the people in close proximity in fear. That fear could lead to further anxieties and mental health problems magnifying. Reminder that no one is ever safe

Reply Posted by karen on Thursday October 10 2013 at 10:16
agree with stop moaning.

Reply Posted by Karl on Thursday October 10 2013 at 10:38
My nan got shot in the leg other night with a air rifel a hope this is them lil nobeds need to grow up

Reply Posted by maxine on Thursday October 10 2013 at 10:38
I can't believe some comments on here! Stop moaning?? Are you for real? By saying stop moaning I'm guessing that you agree with what's happened? Why is someone walking around with a firing pistol anyway? Maybe to pass it off as a real one to commit a crime?? Total pillocks! And those who think this is nothing, should really get a grip on what is not acceptable in life!

Reply Posted by builder on Thursday October 10 2013 at 10:51
it was a toy gun that makes a bang... I have a work radio with pretend dynamite and wires stuck on top.. I would not dream of taking it on a plane but no one on site expects it to explode.. they know its just a toy

Real world - Pretend world.... not wise to take it into town but it is still a toy

Reply Posted by the ghost on Thursday October 10 2013 at 10:58
just another day in paradise, it can and only will get worse until someone or something makes these sort of people realise the stupidity of what they have done and why or what made them do it in the first place, lets blame it on drink and drugs again thats the best way out.....

Reply Posted by the govner on Thursday October 10 2013 at 11:03
Its not exactly a spud gun you Muppet, its hardly a toy. "A blank firing pistol" meaning a pistol that fires blanks. blanks can kill at close range, the discharging gas could easily break the skin in the head or throat this would be deadly.

"In order for a blank cartridge to fire and make a lot of noise, the end must be packed off very tightly. This is done with paper wadding that is sealed with a hard lacquer. When the round is fired, this wadding comes out with almost the same force as a bullet, but will not travel very far. However, the wadding on most blanks may be deadly out to10 feet."

"Actor Jon-Erik Hexum died 12 Oct 1984 after shooting himself in the head with a .44 magnum pistol that was loaded with blanks.

A CONTACT headshot is more likely to kill because of the gases that follow the bullet into the skull than because of the bullet itself. If a gun loaded with blanks is powerful enough to break the skin and to blast through the skull, the gases going in will do damage to the brain. It may be enough damage to kill."

your all uneducated idiots. what do they teach you in schools in Barnsley ?

Reply Posted by maxine on Thursday October 10 2013 at 17:59
i think you will find that most decent Barnsley citizens are very well educated so theres absolutely no need for the insults! However when it comes to fire arms I'm guessing the general public do not know a lot about them. I'm also guessing that fire arms are not discussed in schools? Why would they unless it's part of a history lesson for example?? So thank you govner for educating us, but no thanks for the insults :/

Reply Posted by TheBiker on Thursday October 10 2013 at 11:21
Agree with the Govner.....i've seen what a blank can do at lose range and its not pretty !

Reply Posted by Miroslav on Thursday October 10 2013 at 11:45
Imagine the damage at win range :(

Reply Posted by Stop moaning?? on Thursday October 10 2013 at 11:24
For clarity, and please read my post again carefully... I am in no way saying what happened is nothing. I am disgusted this is happening. It's unacceptable and needs to be stopped before it becomes "normal" in our society.

Reply Posted by Tommy Taylor on Thursday October 10 2013 at 11:30
Below is a facebook post I put on on 11th September. I copy this to show a wider perspective of today's incident. There are daily massive problems with our once proud town. We cannot pretend it is not happening. I got a reply from MP Dan Jarvis saying my concerns where being looked into. I wait but not holding my breath.

Facebook post from September 11th
"Called in Barnsley to go to the bank at around 12.30 this afternoon.. Needed the loo so went to the toilets in Peel Square outside which was a group of blokes obviously intoxicated (drink or drugs?) having a massive shouting match and threatening to kill one another. When I went downstairs to the gents toilet I found a drunken woman trying to kick a cubical door in to get at someone inside. I then went to a shop in Peel Parade outside which was a youth lying against a flower bed with his fly undone and his genitals showing. What the hell is happening to our town.Something must be done quickly to sort out the anti social behavior that seems to plague our town center.
To round off this half hour visit to town when I got back to my van which I had parked on Market Hill there was a warden inspecting my tax disc and looking at his watch. I still had 5 minutes to go on my ticket so all was in order. Getting the priorities right then Barnsley. Try to collect some money but ignore the state of our once attractive town. Rant Over"

Reply Posted by Hate when twonks write rant over on Thursday October 10 2013 at 11:48
Rant was later posted elsewhere so obviously not over - just don't do it. sounded almost respectable analysis/complaint about the state of the centre until you turned into a shellsuit wearing 16 year old girl at the end.

Reply Posted by STEVO on Thursday October 10 2013 at 15:26
Spot on Double Tee, I have seen anti social behaviour from the shouty Alchos that congregate around Peel street toilets and the Druggies that constantly pester for "busfare".

Our once proud town will fail to attract people in to shop and socialise whilst ever these people are given carte blanche to roam around the town centre causing mayhem.
A better police presence is needed and giving these idiots "move out of town orders" would definitely be a positive step.

I've said it before and I've said it again, Meadowhall for me every time now and this is unlikely to change unless something is done.

Reply Posted by sid on Thursday October 10 2013 at 15:51
@Tommy Tailor, what makes this worse is to think the police have cameras to watch our streets. Are they not manned? I do not take my grandson to town after hearing two rubber legged stinkers shouting and calling each other "effing knob jockeys!"
It was frightening and it turned what was supposed to be a lovely treat out to tea into an embarrassing stomach churner. The town is really getting horrible.

Reply Posted by andy on Thursday October 10 2013 at 11:34
Blanks or real.. they should not have them on them at all...

Reply Posted by Primary Socialisation??? on Thursday October 10 2013 at 12:48
Primary Socialisation - how very judgemental. How would you even know how much interaction he is even allowed to have with his daughter? He could have had to fight tooth and nail just to see his daughter for all you know. Moron.

Reply Posted by Gav on Thursday October 10 2013 at 13:08
I avoid town these days, too many immigrants acting shifty, starting to feel like an Eastern block town run by the Russian mafia!! never mind trying to attract different shops to town centre, get the rif raf out!

Reply Posted by shaggy on Thursday October 10 2013 at 15:12
R tha reight Shag, a think aif a Kosovo is still int tarn.
Tha sees em shuffling abart talking into the I-phones that wiv no doubt paid for.

Reply Posted by MrsMail on Thursday October 10 2013 at 13:10
@Gav - Immigrants???????????? Thank god you don't live where I live which is in the most diverse borough in the country.

Reply Posted by BootyBabe on Thursday October 10 2013 at 13:12
Well sed to tha Governer in his comment..lack of education is a definate in these comments..Silly silly boyz!!

Reply Posted by lol on Thursday October 10 2013 at 14:15
You've just made yourself look daft... you spelt "boys" "Boyz" and "the" "tha"....

Reply Posted by Tommy Taylor on Thursday October 10 2013 at 13:12
To:- Hate when twonks write rant over. It was a one off rant on that day my friend (sorry you didn't leave a name) and not posted anywhere else but shared by many others. They fact that you think "rant over" are the words of a 16 year old girl seems relatively unimportant when looking at the massive antisocial behavior problems we have in Barnsley. For the record I am a 63 year old man who remembers shellsuits first time round and genuinely worried about the state of our town as are many others.

Reply Posted by andy on Thursday October 10 2013 at 13:46
this is another reason I do not go into town. drugies, alchoholics, thieves they have all been roaming the town for years and nothing gets done about it. what a shithole.

Reply Posted by Hoyland Red on Thursday October 10 2013 at 20:37
Disgusting!
No gun crime here in sunny Hoyland, just loads of immigrants and smack heads.

Reply Posted by lepont on Friday October 11 2013 at 00:48
@Hoyland Red - Albert Einstein was an immigrant.

Mo Farrah is an immigrant. Just saying.

Reply Posted by Chez on Friday October 11 2013 at 08:01
Lol some people

Reply Posted by To THE MORON on Friday October 11 2013 at 09:30
Clearly uneducated and illiterate. No point wasting time talking to a monkey. Have a scratch and eat a banana you imbecile.

Reply Posted by Lee on Friday October 11 2013 at 09:44
Some right idiots on here do u think this only happens in Barnsley????? We are nothing compared to amount of crime that happens elsewhere in Yorkshire get a grip

Reply Posted by wanabe on Friday October 11 2013 at 10:01
Just a set of low life wana be gangsters lol..Toy gun or not ..If someone pointed a black toy gun in your face would you just laugh and say its only a toy gun. Its not like guns are in everyday life around the house is it.
Too many idiots in Barnsley thinking they are the law and try and to be billy ten men..People with attitudes,drivers who know best and run red lights everywhere..cutting people up in cars...breaking into houses nicking other peoples hard earned goods. Barnsley is a dire place. Always has been always will be. Its full of dick heads. I'm sick to death of walking round town and getting abused at for looking at them. Reality is this place is utter crap.

Reply Posted by meme on Friday October 11 2013 at 21:23
i think cops should stop waisting they time on ppl that as done nowt and start to look for the ones that have f*****g makes me sick

Reply Posted by Shelley on Saturday October 12 2013 at 09:56
I would try to avoid Barnsley town centre if at all possible however having to visit bank early morning to pay hubby's pay cheques in means I do have to brave it. Parking up past General Post office and making way to Nat West is like running the gauntlet sometimes, with the numbers of tanked up/drugged up people staggering about. It can be intimidating at times when you're having to walk past all that lot on your own while you're carrying cash.

Reply Posted by MrsMail on Sunday October 13 2013 at 03:04
I am from Barnsley and now reside in South Kilburn. Shootings occur frequently here. A killing of a youn happened on Kilburn High Road on the August Bank Holiday weekend. She had been out celebrating her 24th birthday. She stopped for a kebab and was shot. The wrong place at the wrong time the police said. Left a 2 year old kid behind. A decent nursery school teacher from Neasden. Stop moaning Barnsley isn't that bad.