Christmas Comfort For Homeless

Friday December 23 2011

homeless homeless

SINGLE mum Kate Raynor has organised a hot food Christmas drop-in for homeless people in Barnsley.

The meals will be served on three days - December 27, 28 and 31 - from 4pm to 6pm at St George's Church, York Street. Packed lunches will also be available.

Kate, a project manager at Bartec Auto ID, already volunteers one day a week at Barnsley Churches Drug Project.

The project runs a drop-in serving food three times a week to homeless people, but Kate wanted to provide the service for another three days over Christmas week.

She used Facebook and the phone to rustle up more volunteers and donations of food and warm clothing.

"My milkman donated 32 pints of milk, market stalls are giving fruit and veg and we've also got donations from local butchers, bakers and my children's school," she said. "We're delighted that people are so generous, especially in this economic climate."

Kate, who lives in Silkstone, is expecting around 30 people each day to use the drop-in. She added, "It's fine if people just want to come in for a coffee and a warm. Christmas is a time people can feel dejected and lonely, imagining everyone else happy and cosy in their houses with all their presents."

Reply Posted by Emface on Friday December 23 2011 at 11:23
I wish i'd have known about this i'd have volunteered to help. Projects like this should be advertised more for volunteers :)

Reply Posted by Caz on Friday December 23 2011 at 11:29
What a lovely thought..x

Reply Posted by Anita Wilcock on Friday December 23 2011 at 11:39
What a fab idea! i too would have helped and helped to rally round for stuff.

Reply Posted by Angie40plus on Friday December 23 2011 at 12:06
wud have loved to help as i wanna start something like tht up but all yr round

Reply Posted by Maximize10 on Friday December 23 2011 at 12:52
I agree with all the above, and would have helped out too. Well done Kate and to all those who take part :)

Reply Posted by Maximize10 on Friday December 23 2011 at 12:52

Reply Posted by Ellenbounds on Friday December 23 2011 at 18:13
I know how invaluable places like this are as I was homeless myself for 2 years when i was 16 and it is an awful place to be as most of society looks down on you and make assumptions that all homeless people are on drugs or alcoholics which i was none just an unlucky girl. I now work with single homeless people in a hostel and use my life experience to help others in need and hopefully i'm giving back some good advice :)

Reply Posted by louise on Saturday December 24 2011 at 08:21
would like to suggest that if advertised on facebook or wab my husband would have volunteered next year advertised  in time more people would come forward well done to everybody who given there time up hope the homeless have a great christmas  well done katie and team

Reply Posted by Jackanddez on Saturday December 24 2011 at 20:50
you are the true meanin of christmas kate x

Reply Posted by Happystomper on Saturday December 24 2011 at 21:54
i work in a bread prodution factory and it unbelivable how much bread gets binned rather than donating it to projects like this

Reply Posted by Julie Firth on Monday December 26 2011 at 20:55
Same here would certainly have volunteered my time, well done Katie, world needs more folks like u xx

Reply Posted by Derrick on Wednesday December 28 2011 at 17:11
God bless you for your kindness to others

Reply Posted by Tony ingram on Thursday September 12 2013 at 11:46
we provide homes for vulnerable people , plz contact me

Reply Posted by mary on Friday December 6 2013 at 15:57
Hi is there any where to volunteer on christmas day .

Reply Posted by FrancesTidball on Wednesday November 16 2016 at 08:54
I should like to help with meals for your homeless project at Christmas & volunteer at other times also ,or if you no longer do this could you give me a contact no ,thank you ,Fran Tidball