Nearly Half Of 'Bedroom Tax' Residents In Arrears

Wednesday October 9 2013

Protesters make their way to court Protesters make their way to court

NEARLY half of the tenants affected by the so-called 'bedroom tax' in Barnsley have been pushed into rent arrears - making the town the 17th worst affected in the country.

The figures were obtained by online campaign website False Economy through a Freedom of Information request.

It shows out of 2,600 tenants affected in the borough, 1,120 have been pushed into arrears.

The release of the figures comes as Labour pledged to axe the so-called tax, which is a cut in housing benefit for those in council or social accommodation who are deemed to have a spare bedroom, should the party win the next election.

But campaign leader Fran Postlethwaite said people cannot afford to wait that long.

"We cannot wait 20 months for the election to happen. People are struggling now and we need the council to say they will not evict anyone who falls into arrears because of the bedroom tax."

Barnsley East MP Michael Dugher backed Labour's pledge.

"Many of us in Barnsley have been campaigning against the bedroom tax, so this is great news," he said.

"With 43 per cent of the people in Barnsley affected by this unfair tax pushed into arrears, it's clear that repealing it is absolutely the right thing to do."

Barnsley Central MP, Dan Jarvis, said: "We have seen usually financially prudent residents fall into rent arrears.

"It unfairly penalises residents who use their so-called 'spare room' to help their wider family with childcare, or separated parents who have shared parenting, or disabled people who need extra space for medical equipment."

Reply Posted by mark on Wednesday October 9 2013 at 10:59
pay the rent or evict them, its disgusting that they get away wi not paying.

Reply Posted by Tom on Wednesday October 9 2013 at 11:03
Surely the council and housing associations should be setting affordable rents?

With eleven years of well above inflation rent rises, rents are no longer affordable. If our social housing sector does not have suitable accommodation to house the people, then it should reduce rents until it has enough suitable accommodation.

If there is demand for 2000 one bed properties, and 2000 'extra' two bed properties, then perhaps the 2000 two bed properties should be converted to one bedroom properties (say for example by knocking two bedrooms into one).

Reply Posted by Tom on Wednesday October 9 2013 at 11:14
*then it should reduce rents until it has enough suitable accommodation.

- by that I mean upon the unsuitable accommodation. (i.e. upon 2 bed properties, when the demand is for 1 beds).

Rents should also be reduced across the board to a level that is affordable for a minimum wage full time worker - to one fifth of income.

Reply Posted by LOL on Sunday October 13 2013 at 09:18
THEY HAVE SPENT IT ALL IN THE BOOZER

Reply Posted by Tom on Wednesday October 9 2013 at 11:11
When you see a story abut a person in the media who has started and built up a business, you often find they started the business from their home initially, often in a 'spare room'.

You have to wonder, if the bedroom tax will retard the formation of new businesses in the borough, which lags behind many other places with respect to the number of businesses relative to the population (although we are doing quite well for business formation at the minute).

The more I think about it, the more I think everybody in Barnsley (and the rest of the UK, and the wider world) should have more private living space.

A room for every child, so they have somewhere quiet to study.

A spare room for every adult, so they can develop hobbies and start businesses from home, more cottage industry would make us more resilient when it comes to wider economical changes.

A dining room so people can sit down and eat at a table.

Better housing for everybody in Barnsley is needed, instead of wasting, time & money trying to reduce our own living standards.

Reply Posted by AT HOME on Wednesday October 9 2013 at 11:14
mark,get back into your hole,comments like that,no wonder country is in a mess,prick

Reply Posted by MrsMail on Wednesday October 9 2013 at 23:46
Lets hope Mark and his beautiful family never become unemployed. Pray tell me where did you do your economics degree? LSE was it?

Reply Posted by AT HOME on Thursday October 10 2013 at 08:25
L@@KS LIKE MARK IS THE FOOL OF THE FORUM,

Reply Posted by ashamed of some humans on Thursday October 10 2013 at 08:54
Mrsmail. Has not put one good post on this site yet. What a horrible person you are. Get to Boots and search for something to help your nasty condition.
Blarrrr horrible.

Reply Posted by Monty Williams on Thursday October 10 2013 at 09:32
All they need do is get a job. Problem sorted Oh I forgot they don't know what jobs are only cigs and pubs

Reply Posted by MrsMail on Thursday October 10 2013 at 09:38
@ashamed of some humans - Darling, seeing as I am studying for a Masters degree in Clinical Biochemistry I don't need to go to Boots. I think you have a problem with people that speak their mind, particularly women. It is called misogyny

Reply Posted by ashamed of some humans on Thursday October 10 2013 at 09:51
Mrs mail. I hope you get your masters degree,then your big head may swell to the size of a nasty little mouse dropping.
Is that misogynistic enough for you love?

Reply Posted by DW on Thursday October 10 2013 at 09:58
Lots of liars on WAB.

Reply Posted by sarah on Thursday October 10 2013 at 10:02
I wish i could afford for every one of my children their own room Tom but unfortunatley due to me and my partner working we can only afford what we have we cant get owt for nowt. Do these people have a hissy fit when someone in a private rented house gets evicted because they get behind with their rent for whatever reason nope dont think they do would they come out of their nice warm houses if someone got their homes repossesed due to whatever reasons nope so why should anyone who struggles to pay their own way have sympathy for people who dont pay their own way and just moan cause theyre being dragged kicking and screaming into the real world they should think themselves lucky they are british and dont live in another country where theyd have to work to survive not get handouts from the tax payer.

Reply Posted by MrsMail on Thursday October 10 2013 at 10:02
@ashamed of some humans - Crawl back under the bridge darling.

Reply Posted by jay on Thursday October 10 2013 at 10:06
I'm sorry. Monty williams your comment is uncalled for! Not everyone who is unemployed spends their money in pubs & on cigs! I'm sick & tired of when someone says they're unemployed that its assumed they're druggies or alcoholics or lazy! I'm currently unemployed & spend my time trying to better my education so I can be something my children can be proud of!

Reply Posted by MrsMail on Thursday October 10 2013 at 10:50
@jay - Don't let it bother you love. I only come on this site for a laugh. I have never seen such uneducated people in one place. I love a good thread like this. Posters slate the unemployed and talk about the 'taxes' they pay. The majority are probably claiming 'tax credits' to top-up their wages. They assume that everybody who is unemployed smokes and drinks and watches Jeremy Kyle all day. I love the text-speak too. I wonder how most of them manage to hold down a job!

Reply Posted by simon on Thursday October 10 2013 at 11:47
Mrs mail.if this is what you need to do to get a laugh......awwww bless. Poor little life.
You certainly give us one love...do carry on...toodlepip.

Reply Posted by x on Thursday October 10 2013 at 10:56
the point is sarah they dont live in another country,they live here,and you and i and everyone else who is fortunate enough to be able to work pay our taxes so that the less fortunate dont have to live like people do in third world countries.being made to beg is not a society i want for my grandkids to grow up in.it is drilled into their heads day in day out that they will never have anything in this life if they dont work for it ,but the way things are going by the time they are old enough we will all be living in ghetto's in a kill or be killed society,and all because we arn't doing anything about it now while we can.we should be standing together not ripping each other apart.is this really the legacy you want to leave for your kids and grandkids

Reply Posted by MrsMail on Thursday October 10 2013 at 11:51
@simon - Please don't be sorry for me. Save the pity for yourself. At least I don't have to live in Barnsley.

Reply Posted by simon on Thursday October 10 2013 at 15:13
THERE IS A GOD! Mrs. Mails best post yet.

Reply Posted by Tim on Thursday October 10 2013 at 20:43
I think it's sad MrsMail has to come on WAB to get a laugh. She must lead a very sad life indeed.

MrMail not doing it for you darling?

Reply Posted by Shelley on Thursday October 10 2013 at 22:25
@ Simon and Tim - Brilliant I couldn't have put it better myself. Mrsmail a very sad individual.

Reply Posted by Richard on Friday October 11 2013 at 00:00
And exactly how can Barnsley East MP Michael Dugher have the ordacity to appear to feel sorry for anybody living in financial difficulty, when he has awarded his wife £35k of Barnsley tax payers money to his wife for making his tea? Same old Labour...appear nice at a time when elections are nearing! FAKE, CONNING LIARS...and LABOUR are running the Barnsley Council. LABOUR introduced the so called Bedroom Tax, contrary to what Labour wants everyone to believe! LIARS!

Reply Posted by MrsMail on Friday October 11 2013 at 00:51
@Tim - there is no Mr Mail love. I prefer my independence.

Reply Posted by anon on Friday October 11 2013 at 08:51
agree with you richard well said

Reply Posted by mark on Friday October 11 2013 at 10:50
"at home" its all in the name sweetheart so get a grip and get a job, u r a disgrace and no doubt fit in lovely in this town, grow up and open ya very small mind. u are uneducated and uninteresting.

Reply Posted by mark on Friday October 11 2013 at 10:53
and "mrs mail",,,,,,,,,, yawn darling, arnt u a clever one using terms like "pray tell" ,,,, wats up truth hurt and have no degree dear lol but you prob already knew that eh?? ha ha likes of u do make me laugh, keep em comin mrs mail

Reply Posted by mark on Friday October 11 2013 at 10:56
goodness mrs mail is the star of this forum, can smell her bs from miles around, shes so clever tho cos shes a trainee boochemist ha ha prob works on doctors reception, mrs bouquet ha ha

Reply Posted by LOL on Friday October 11 2013 at 11:01
THEY SPEND ALL THE MONEY ON CIGS BOOZE AND BOOKIES.THEN CRY POVERTY SUMMAT FOR NOWT CULTURE.

Reply Posted by sarah on Friday October 11 2013 at 11:15
X weve had a house repossesed in the past so i know what its like to lose my home. My point is these people didnt want to help me my partner and my kids find a home we ended up 4 of us in a 2 bed private rented house no benefit help for us, until we got back on our feet and were able to buy our home we have now,so why am I expected to listen to them spouting alsorts about how they cant move theyve lived in their homes for so many years so had my partner 30 years he lived in the same house and circumstances changed so we had to move.Life is what it is you get put down so you just get back up again why should people keep getting things for nothing its not fair weve been through enough crap to be able say enough is enough pay a bit to keep a house thats too big or move somewhere smaller.

Reply Posted by mark on Friday October 11 2013 at 11:49
well said sarah

Reply Posted by sarah on Friday October 11 2013 at 12:51
Thank you Mark.

Reply Posted by mark on Friday October 11 2013 at 11:53
mrs mail, wat no mr mail?? im in shock thought some lucky young man would have snapped u up years ago!! oh well sweet keep looking under rocks and im sure youll find a suitable match for your good self ;)

Reply Posted by x on Friday October 11 2013 at 13:53
iv'e never said im against downsizing sarah,as a matter of fact i agree with it in principle ,what i dont agree with is the way its been handled,i think that people who are under occupied should be given time to re locate as smaller properties become available,if they then refuse to take the properties offered start to charge them.

Reply Posted by sarah on Friday October 11 2013 at 14:30
that would be a better way of going about things X as i read the chronicle there is a mix of approx 34 1 and 2 bed flats and houses empty theres a start for some people.like i said though we had to take a private rented as we couldnt get a council house even though we had a girl and a boy they shared a room for a long time yes they fought like cat and dog but its something you deal with along with the rest of what life chucks at you.

Reply Posted by God is having a laugh! on Friday October 11 2013 at 19:26
Can't wait to see his face when he's told its only £31.66! That'll buy about a round of drinks!

Reply Posted by MrsMail on Sunday October 13 2013 at 02:42
@mark - nope never worked as a doctor's recepetionist. Royal Free actually.

I feel sorry for your wife You probably refer to her as 'our lass'

Poor Our Lass has probably got to make your dinner every night. Our lass has to do all the housework. Cos that is expected of our lass.

I wasn't snapped up by a young man cos maybe I ain't into men. Some people are gay.

Reply Posted by MrsMail on Sunday October 13 2013 at 02:44
@Mark - you come over as a misogynistic **** darling. Small penis?

Reply Posted by Mel on Sunday October 13 2013 at 17:25
Mrs Mail you come across as a sad b*****d who sits ups at what time was it 02:44 on a Saturday night dishing out childish insults.Haven't you got anything better to do? Whats up love can't u find someone to share your life with or are you just one of these so called independent types or in other words NOBODY WANTS YOU. Vile creature .

Reply Posted by MrsMail on Sunday October 13 2013 at 23:55
@Mel - I work night shifts in a hospital so yes I should be awake at in the early hours.

I was awake at 3 this morning cos I finished work at two. I run the Herts 10K this morning after four hours sleep. No doubt you have a fantastic slim body like mine. LOLL.

Reply Posted by MrsMail on Sunday October 13 2013 at 23:58
Maybe I like to be independent. I have a nice mews house in Maida Vale in London. Go and cook your husbands dinner. What a submisive slag

Reply Posted by MrsMail on Monday October 14 2013 at 00:05
@Mel - I will bet my London mortgage that your husband is ******* somebody behind your back.

Reply Posted by MrsMail on Monday October 14 2013 at 00:17
@mel. Your husband is probably ******* another women love.

Reply Posted by MrsMail on Monday October 14 2013 at 00:33
Read Mumsnet Relationships love. Your husband is probably ******* a younger, slimmer model.

Reply Posted by disgusted on Monday October 14 2013 at 00:46
Mrs mail. You need to look at yourself you know. You need help. Honestly you are truly vile. Good god,get a grip. Why you need to attack other posters all the time is just pityfull. Calm down love and try and find some inner peace. Not being nasty here either.

Reply Posted by MrsMail on Monday October 14 2013 at 01:24
No love. I fight fire with fire. So many uneducated slags on WE ARE BARNSLEY

Reply Posted by MrsMail on Monday October 14 2013 at 01:27
Mark and several posters had a go first. Fuckthem

Reply Posted by sarah on Monday October 14 2013 at 09:39
mrsMail is obviously a fella the language is a giveaway heres an example, your husband is probably ***** another women, that isnt even a proper sentence its either other women or another woman not a very educated man either from that simple slip up.

Reply Posted by mark on Monday October 14 2013 at 11:24
ha ha mrs mail i am actually gay! could u have got it more wrong u pathetic human being!! go take ya face for a sh*t but few more posts first please, little troll and u are gay too wow we have something in common, showed my partner a posts was laffin so much, keep em comin, lets face it no man or woman is guna entertain u so u have plenty of time, sorry delay in my reply i was with my boyfriend enjoying life while i made his tea, sorry i mean ar lad!! ha ha u nob

Reply Posted by mark on Monday October 14 2013 at 11:26
ans sarah these nutters are scary ha ha thank god for our sanity x

Reply Posted by sarah on Monday October 14 2013 at 13:39
mark I think my sanity is on its way down A1 somewhere lol

Reply Posted by ! on Monday October 14 2013 at 12:51
If mrs mail doesn't live in barnsley why even bother to be on the page??!?

Reply Posted by mrsmail on Monday October 14 2013 at 13:40
mark, sarah probably the same person,gender benders..

Reply Posted by sarah on Monday October 14 2013 at 13:57
I can assure you mr whatever your real name is my name is sarah and i do not know mark personally and again from your wording you are male not female so calling someone a gender bender is quite amusing really.

Reply Posted by mark on Monday October 14 2013 at 14:23
ha ha sarah dont worry its not u, the moron isnt exactly blessed with intelligence, mrs mail is full of sh#t and so lives alone in one room bedsit with only internet for company oh and maybe a cat that urinates indoors, either that or mrs mail her self, alternatively ahes a adolescet teen who enjoys the new trollin phenomen, either way he/she has entertained us well, and got people talkin so it has provided a positive, and fpr every moron ther is a sane petson to restore our faith, lol, and wen ya read this mrs mail, im sorry if big words confuse u, but ull have to get a friend to help u oh wait a minit that wont be an option for u, buy a dictionary if and when u leave ya piss soaked pot ya skank, ha ha oh and gender bender ???? thats so 90s!! that last time u left house?? ha ha get a wash and try more up to date slang like poof, batty boy or possibly my fave, faggot, all true and so not offended cocka!! thats barnsley speak but u wunt no u being in london haha ha love it :))

Reply Posted by mrsmail on Monday October 14 2013 at 14:31
sorry mark sarah,didi I hit a raw nerve,you may like dressing up in each others clothes and visit the trans bender clubs,your secret safe with me,bye for now,got to go to work,unlike you 2 queens,

Reply Posted by mrsmail on Monday October 14 2013 at 14:34
mark read up, looks like mark is the fool of the forum,there were far wrong just add sarah.........

Reply Posted by sarah on Monday October 14 2013 at 17:47
its trans gender not trans bender another obvious mistake sorry mark been picking my kids up from school i doubt very much anyone would want to walk round in my clothes lol unless mark is 5ft tall a size 16 and has size 3 feet which doesnt sound very manly even for you mr whatever name your hiding behind does your mum know your not at school as for living in london one thinks not! like you say mark its been entertaining if nothing else maybe hes gone for his beans on toast that mummys made him for tea.

Reply Posted by mark on Tuesday October 15 2013 at 08:15
looks like the dear mrs mail has run out of wit all of a sudden and has returned back to his/her rooots, shame that but was fun while it lasted, but no challenge in this discussion now for human beings like us sarah, and bless him/her for pretendin to have a job, must be cold job shinin shoes in this weather poor little wierdo, lol :)

Reply Posted by mrsmail on Tuesday October 15 2013 at 08:51
mark....remember you are the fool of the forum...clearly states above,yes I do av a job..just going to walk my dog and burn of some energy..sarah av you thought about dieting...

Reply Posted by wab observer on Tuesday October 15 2013 at 09:06
@MARK@ I have read a lot of your post on varius subjects,please note other posters on WAB..all mark wants to do is to get into an argument and slate people and write vile comments,which a lot have been removed,,mark never contributes to the subject just annoys people..i bet he lives on his own,leads a very sad life,no friends no social life no way of understanding life,from WAB OBSERVER please stick to the storyline and please stop abusing the site..

Reply Posted by to mrsmail on Tuesday October 15 2013 at 08:25
to mrs mail with TESTICULES hairy bollocks and all that shite.

Reply Posted by mark on Tuesday October 15 2013 at 10:09
dear oh dear thanks for reading a lot of my posts

Reply Posted by sam on Tuesday October 15 2013 at 10:17
whos wab observer lol some idiot

Reply Posted by Georgia on Tuesday October 15 2013 at 13:40
Theres something that just doesn't add up with this MRSMAIL character. If you look on some previous posts she/he uses phrases such as 'Pray tell' yet on the most recent filth that he/she posts language /vocabulary has slipped a hell of a lot. They obviously do not live in London, why would anyone of sound mind go on a discussion site relating to Barnsley and then make continuous remarks so full of venom. The assumptions they make on people that they do not even know such as that their partners are ******** someone else or that they need to go on a diet etc leads me to believe that these are issues in their own sad little life. Remarks like those are so childish. I'm betting this person needs some sort of phsyciatric help.

Reply Posted by sid on Tuesday October 15 2013 at 13:52
@georgina I think Mrs Mail is also Mae Brussel. Theyre both quite argumentative.

Reply Posted by bill on Tuesday October 15 2013 at 18:59
Well mark and your fellow posters, I really think Mrs mail,s beaten you. She's obviously gotten well under your skins, because you just can't let it lie. She's got what she wanted out of you.....a rise, and boy have you risen to her. Her silence has made her the winner I,m afraid.

Reply Posted by Georgia on Tuesday October 15 2013 at 19:04
Bill/ Mrs Mail same person by any chance?

Reply Posted by bill on Tuesday October 15 2013 at 19:06
Nope....just saying chick.

Reply Posted by sarah on Tuesday October 15 2013 at 19:21
her silence has made her the winner he/she hasnt been very silent so far.As for the diet jibe Marylin Monroe was a size 16 did anyone tell her she needed a diet,i cant be bothered with little boys and their ridiculous spellings no need for it he should be at school.

Reply Posted by Georgia on Tuesday October 15 2013 at 20:03
Totally agree Sarah.

Reply Posted by sarah on Tuesday October 15 2013 at 20:07
agree with your post too same person you can tell by the language even though hes tried to be different the paw prints are still there.

Reply Posted by sarah on Wednesday October 16 2013 at 07:28
I am a WOMEN a circus act then!

Reply Posted by MrsMail on Wednesday October 16 2013 at 08:02
@Sarah - Another lovely day in Barmsley eh?

Reply Posted by sarah on Wednesday October 16 2013 at 09:34
Its fabulous here in barnsley as you well know sir,a bit foggy but when you open your curtains youl see that for yourself,or has mummy not called you for your breakfast bag of crisps yet.

Reply Posted by sarah on Wednesday October 16 2013 at 09:35
BARNSLEY not BARMSLEY you really do need to start going to school darling.

Reply Posted by MrsMail on Wednesday October 16 2013 at 10:00
I was being sarcastic when I posted BARMSLEY. No I don't eat crisps for breakfast. I had granola today. When I last visited 'tarn' I saw slobs eating sausage rolls from Greggs for breakfast. Followed by cans of coke. Never seen so many obese people in all my life.

Now stop being a bitchy queen and go out cottaging.

Reply Posted by sarah on Wednesday October 16 2013 at 10:20
You still need to take your wee willy to school insulting me isnt going to get you any GCSEs now is it. Obviously your parents dont really give a stuff about you otherwise theyd make you brighten your ideas up.

Reply Posted by mark on Wednesday October 16 2013 at 13:10
oh mrs mail/bill, love ya little made up friends and yeah youve definately won bill!! oops sorry mrs mail, wow confusin u havin so many friends that are all u!! ha ha keep em comin tho u have entertained me all week as well as many others, sarah and georgia included, slightly disappointed i didnt get a mention though in ya last few posts, what have i done?? come on you social freak dont ignore me haha now thats sarcasm love, unlike your version which is sarcasm passed off as bad spelling, u still in london ( aka kendray/tarn!! aaaaaw bless ya, all tho its been hugely fun i must say u have restored my faith in the weird socially inept so dont hide away keep posting, jus cos uve won( not sure wat and is ther a prize) doesnt mean u cant continue to give us all a laugh. u need ya own mrs mail site u cud be famous!!!! oopps sorry thats sarcasm again!! im hopin if i keep using it youll get it eventually ha ha pmsl, :))

Reply Posted by sarah on Wednesday October 16 2013 at 13:25
hel be thinking of how to write an essay on you mark lol

Reply Posted by mark on Wednesday October 16 2013 at 13:46
ha ha i know sarah, its quite scary the wierdos we have to share planet and our town with!! good job he lives in london ha ha