Cat Ripped To Pieces By 'Stray Dogs'

Monday October 7 2013

We Are Barnsley We Are Barnsley

A BARNSLEY woman is calling for more stray dogs to be impounded after her daughter's cat was left with horrific injuries.

Emma Plummer opened her door on Crown Avenue, Cudworth, to find her cat, Maisie, badly injured with its stomach ripped open and one leg barely attached.

She immediately took her pet to the vets but was left with no choice other than to put her down.

Emma's mum, Meg Plummer, said: "It's caused us a lot of trauma. I’ve visited my daughter’s home so many times and have seen dogs wandering around the area unattended.

"On this occasion the victim was Maisie, but I believe action should be taken to stop dogs being allowed to roam the streets before a child or adult is injured."

Reply Posted by susan perks on Monday October 7 2013 at 10:39
Very sick people need to get there dogs on leads the sick bastards!

Reply Posted by jan on Monday October 7 2013 at 10:48
its folks that get a dog, and cant be bothered to walk it, n just boot um out the door in a morning, and refuse to let them in until late evening, that are the problem

Reply Posted by mandy on Monday October 7 2013 at 10:59
How exactly do you know a dog did this!?!?! Don't believe everything vets tell you lv.....a sick human could have done it!!

Reply Posted by Tommy on Monday October 7 2013 at 11:28
Maybe if cat owners did not just allow their cats to roam they would not get injured, perhaps they should keep their pet under control like most dog owners do. This cat may have strayed into a dog owners garden, the dog would then protect it's territory.
I suppose the fact that the same cat may have killed birds or small animals is acceptable to cat owners?

Reply Posted by pussy galore on Monday October 7 2013 at 12:14
Tommy, its impossible to keep a cat on a leash,or under control. Its just the way it is. I must admit,cats arn,t the best of pets when they are outside,but there's not much you can do apart from give them a collar with a bell,and keep their bellies full,both of helps with the bird situation. Its just how it is,some people prefer a cat to a dog,there's good and bad on both sides. I'm very surprised a dog managed to get hold of the cat though. Poor little moggy.

Reply Posted by Fred on Monday October 7 2013 at 19:53
Tommy. Your a buffoon ! Control a cat ?

Reply Posted by sarah on Monday October 7 2013 at 11:55
this is a sad story but i have to agree with tommy cat owners should be more responsible as well as us dog owners. I had someone come to complain my dog had scared their cat not touched it just scared it and the blooming thing was in my garden uninvited,i dont think they realise what damage they do to other peoples gardens either i dont let my dog wander into anyones gardens so why should cats be able to. Both dogs and cats should be looked after properly and not left to wander the streets.

Reply Posted by Debbie on Monday October 7 2013 at 12:56
I think if you contact the RSPCA, they will inform you that a cat is a free spirit. They cannot be locked up in a house all day. They are allowed to go where they like when they like and no one can do anything about it. It is becoming a common occurrence though with stray dogs as when I was in the vets last month having my cat and dog immunized and chipped a lady brought her cat in that had just been attacked by stray dogs and it was dead. There should be more dog wardens around collecting stray dogs, as was said, it could end up being a child next.

Reply Posted by kip on Monday October 7 2013 at 14:26
As a caring dog owner,I would be more than grateful if cat owners showed the same responsibilty for their cats as I am expected to do.The money I have had to spend putting right the damage they have made to my garden furniture due them scratching for a place to sleep,is disgusting.Nothing is ever said about cats,just open your door at night let them out,to do as they please !!!!!!!!

Reply Posted by sara on Monday October 7 2013 at 14:35
Well said Kip,I put once found a cat about to settle down on my babies face when he was asleep in his pram.They are allowed to roam where ever they want.

Reply Posted by sid on Monday October 7 2013 at 15:46
Crickey Sara,Ive had cats and babies in the house for years and thats never happened to me. I understood it to be an old wives tale.
Theres more chance of a dog biting the babies face off I reckon.
I love dogs too,just saying.

Reply Posted by kes on Monday October 7 2013 at 18:44
Cat owners against dog owners now, whatever next?

Reply Posted by Peter H on Tuesday October 8 2013 at 08:37
Cats come over our wall & mess in our garden, if one of my German Shepherds manages to catch one & chews it up a bit, will that be my fault? KEEP YOUR SCABBY CATS AT HOME!

Reply Posted by purrrr on Tuesday October 8 2013 at 09:19
Meeee? Ow?
Cats do what they want.

Reply Posted by kerry on Tuesday October 8 2013 at 09:07
What about stray cats? Always the big nasty dogs fault what about the cats that roam and attack dogs or children !!

Reply Posted by purrr on Tuesday October 8 2013 at 09:18
Where's that then Kerry? India? Africa?

Reply Posted by Emmat on Tuesday October 8 2013 at 09:08
Well what a load of random n cruel comments, i have both cats & dogs that all get on together, but nowhere in the comment does it say that they witnessed a dog causing all this to the poor cat, a dog will only do this to a cat if its owner has taught the dog to not like them which is absolutely ridiculous, evil people

Reply Posted by kerry on Tuesday October 8 2013 at 09:09
Secondly how do u no it was a dog?????? It could have been people makes me so mad how stray dogs get blame for everything we found a dog and rang dog warden who told us he couldnt come as the kennels were full so how is she going to combat that eh? Keep ya cats inside n our of people's gardens !

Reply Posted by MrsMail on Tuesday October 8 2013 at 09:31
MSc Animal Behaviour - University of Exeter

I think some of the folk on this thread need to apply. You can get a career development loan for it. Barclays and the Co-operative Bank offer them.

Reply Posted by Marie on Tuesday October 8 2013 at 09:48
Hahaha......well said MrsMail! Its easy to see why incidents like this happen when people are writing this sort of stuff here!

Reply Posted by tommy on Tuesday October 8 2013 at 09:43
Interesting how cat owners say you can not control a cat. You can use a leash on a cat, Pets at Home sell them in case you are looking for one. I have seen a bengal cat walk perfectly happily on a leash so it is possible.

However that would involve cat owners taking responsibility for their animals and also mean that they have to get off their backsides and do some exercise.

Reply Posted by MrsMail on Tuesday October 8 2013 at 10:01
What was I thinking? I have been insulting people on this thread by showing them a link for the MSc in Animal Behaviour at Exeter. The right course is listed below! I think people on this thread would be have no problems with the academic rigour of it, seeing as they have such an insight of animal behaviour.

Doctor of Veterinary Medicine
Royal Veterinary College.

Reply Posted by Rebecca on Tuesday October 8 2013 at 12:40
There are so many people arguing over what to do with animals! Cats can go wherever they want but sometimes that is not wanted and they can attack other cats too in bad ways and they can be a nucence. But then again roaming dogs can be too! But what is complaining at eachother going to solve really? Its silly. I have a dog she doesn't roam and is no trouble I also have a cat that is a house cat and if she were to get outside she wouldn't harm anything. Yes you can 'control' a cat, its called training and being behaved. Cats don't rule the owner and if they do there is seriously something wrong.

This is my own opinion and people are entitled to them. Any complaining will just be out of boredom clearly.

Reply Posted by Bean on Tuesday October 8 2013 at 13:22
Well said Rebecca :)

Reply Posted by lauren on Tuesday October 8 2013 at 14:39
There's that many stray dogs when they dog get picked up they don't live happy lives they get a check up then it's a vet who decide wether there good enough to be rehomed or not and if not they get put down as if there nothing could you just imagine how much shit a mother or father would get if they did the same to there child or children a life is a life pet or human should be treated the same you wouldn't put a child down just because that child has downsyndrome would you so y do it to animals

Reply Posted by emma on Thursday October 10 2013 at 08:59
A evil cat attacked my little dog who was only a puppy while my dog was on his lead my dog did nothing wrong only walk past it on street n it pounced it really frightened my little dog he was covered in deep scratches all over his head n neck from the cats claws even when I had picked the dog up the cat was still trying to get him jumpin up! Not all dogs are bad but not all cats are good either!

Reply Posted by Just Me on Thursday October 10 2013 at 09:16
Nowhere does it say "cat was witnesses being mauled by a dog" people making presumptions again.
First of all what's saying this cat didn't wander into another dogs garden, it is genetic behaviour that dogs will protect their property or owners. So no-one should make assumptions.
However the more likely reason, is that this cat may have been attacked by another cat, in my line of work, I hear about this everyday, many cats are genetically predatary, and often cats are seen and heard ripping lumps out of each other! I often hear of vets bills from cats fighting running into thousands.
So obviously no assumptions can be made. It was a tragedy, and I am very sorry to read it, however it sounds to me like nature, either another cat or a dog was the reason! But if your animal is able to roam where ever (yes I know that's the law) you run the risk of this happening to your animal, people should be aware of the risks before purchasing or owning said animal!

Reply Posted by Keith on Thursday October 10 2013 at 09:48
I cannot believe the intelligence of some people on here. Controlling cats. Blaming them for scratching garden furniture. Some people are so narrow minded. What happened to that poor animal was horrific. Cat or dog. Dogs should be under control at all times period.

Reply Posted by Socially distorted on Thursday October 10 2013 at 10:32
Dogs should be under control, very true. But why one rule for one and one for another?!?!? Just open the door and let a cat out to do whatever it wants, seems legit /: lol... Train your animals and be responsible for them!!! I would never let my dogs roam...neither should cats be out fighting in the middle of the night fighting waking me up, destroying my garden and attacking my children!!! Hope the people who have these 'as and when' pets are at least having them spayed/neutered! ...poor cat, feel sorry for it...wouldn't happen if it was in Your house where Your pet is supposed to be though.

Reply Posted by rick on Thursday October 10 2013 at 10:54
Dogs attacking cats whatever next, cats taking and killing birds and other small animals. No other household pet I can think of is bought by its owner then kicked out of the house to roam free and destroy the local wildlife. If you have a cat buy some cat litter and keep it in the house. The reason most cat owners won't do it is because cats stink the place out. They would rather allow it to foul in someone else's garden, destroy the local wildlife and then moan when something higher up the pecking order does what comes natural.

Reply Posted by believer of Bob on Friday October 11 2013 at 21:01
this is really sad i would see this cat when i walk my dog in the morning and every odd day she would come up to my dog and be propper playful, but again should always expect the worse when letting ur animals roam :(

Reply Posted by believer of Bob on Friday October 11 2013 at 21:01