Council Vows To Send More Traffic Wardens On Patrol

Friday October 4 2013

THE council has admitted that people have been getting away with parking illegally - because traffic wardens have not been patrolling the streets often enough.

Alan Turton, Barnsley Council's car parking manager, revealed this week that enforcement officers had visited Penistone just 13 times in the last four months.

He promised the service would improve and said the council has now recruited three additional employees to deal with drivers who flout parking laws.

"We haven't provided the service as much as we would have liked to have done in the last four months," Mr Turton admitted.

"Going forward we're going to provide a much better service than we've been able to over the last few months.

"Three new enforcement officers are due to start work soon and there will be more visits."

Jeanette Edwards, chairman of Penistone Crime and Safety Group, welcomed the news of increased patrols.

"If they've been 13 times in the last four months, I think I've seen them once," she said.

"They're parking wherever they can. Anybody will park where they like if they're going to get away with it.

"If people do start to realise they're going to get ticketed and a fine then maybe they'll start thinking about it. There's a lot of revenue to be had in Penistone."

Reply Posted by gail on Friday October 4 2013 at 11:36
people using disabled blue badges that clearly are not entitled to is an abuse of the system and needs clamping down on. So that those who are genuine can park where they should.

Reply Posted by Francesca on Friday October 4 2013 at 13:07
They would make there money's worth with all the nurses who park I the double yellows outside my house, block my drive and cause crashes at the top of the road

Reply Posted by Bean on Friday October 4 2013 at 13:31
Great back to being fined for parking outside my house then! Get told to get a permit! this is all well and good but I only park there for maybe half an hour a week during the restriction time :(

Reply Posted by Hoyland Red on Friday October 4 2013 at 14:47
Bean, how much is the permit? I bet it's less than the cost of one fine so, as they say, the choice is yours.

Reply Posted by A Nonnie Mouse on Monday October 7 2013 at 17:11
Bean, If you need a permit, get a permit and stop whingeing. If you only park there for 30 minutes a week why not park on your drive or where you normally park - or alternatively alter the time...

Reply Posted by Bean on Friday October 4 2013 at 14:54
Hi Hoyland Red. In Comparison to the fines it is cheap just as you can imagine paying to park outside my house for in total half an hr a week is a bit annoying I pay full council and road tax. Would love a drive to avoid this like the rest of the street but there is council/Yorkshire water (don't ask) grass outside my house that I cannot drive on so no to the drive or garage :( Ah well extra ten minuets driving around after work to avoid ticket I suppose.

Reply Posted by A Nonnie Mouse on Tuesday October 8 2013 at 09:50
Hi Bean,
Sorry didn't realise you had no drive or garage and I can understand your frustrations regarding the council/Yorkshire Water and lack of permissions for these.
Keep badgering your local councillor regarding this and ask them to fight your case for you. If that doesn't work then Roy Miller is the councillor in charge of Highways and he also seems to have a finger in the pie of the planning dept too, badger him about it too - his email is on the council's website.

Reply Posted by Chris on Friday October 4 2013 at 15:05
Be interested to see if all the new parking restrictions around Elsecar station are enforced.

Reply Posted by tarn lad on Friday October 4 2013 at 16:18
What about old people parking in parent and child bays when they have children in the car

Reply Posted by A Nonnie Mouse on Tuesday October 8 2013 at 09:51
Are you for real.....

These are spaces for people with children in the car not exclusively parents you fool!!

Reply Posted by tarn lad on Friday October 4 2013 at 16:19
Sorry no children in the car

Reply Posted by Swifty on Friday October 4 2013 at 21:18
Blue. badge scheme should be abolished with immediate effect. Then the twisting people should. Be made to pay there's something together us going .

Reply Posted by STEVO on Saturday October 5 2013 at 19:12
Not everyone who has a blue badge is taking the piss swifty.
My mam has one and most certainly needs it as she has heart failure and is only being kept alive by tablets and does not walk very well either so it is imperative that she parks as close to the Asda doors as is humanly possible.

Is it such a big deal for you?

My mam goes out once a week to ASDA all her entire life these days revolves on her trip to the ASDA.

Be thankful that you are (so far) able bodied and that you can walk unaided freely.

Reply Posted by swifty on Saturday October 5 2013 at 20:29
Stevo I'm totally behind you mum and what the Blue badge is all about.My point is the Blue Badge Scheme has been abused by the majority of people out there. there family's friends all believe they have a right to use the badge for free.

The Blus Badge Schemne needs new rules and laws need to be tightened up. So when people like you mum genuinely needs it a parking place is there for her.

Not an excuse for some body with a work van to collect goods etc.

Local Authority's have allowed the abuse to go by too long.

ask your mum how many times she has tried to park at ASDA and some clown runs out to there vehicle. that was my point Stevo.

Reply Posted by STEVO on Sunday October 6 2013 at 12:46
Valid point swifty I was merely airing my views on the matter came across as a bit of an attack on you and but It wasn't really, I just get extremely frustrated as my mam is severely disabled and her car is her lifeline to the world outside.

Yes there are people out there that use the blue badge that have absolutely no right to use it.

I too know of a person who regularly used a blue badge to park wherever he felt like as he had "borrowed" it from a family member.
Needles to say he doesn't use it anymore as he was shopped by another member of his family.

Yes, I have seen able bodied people parking in disabled bays in Asda , these people are just plain lazy.

Reply Posted by sid on Saturday October 5 2013 at 20:51
Same old story,there are the genuine people who need help to get through the day,and there's those who cheat and lie thier way through life. The freeloaders in life spoil it for the genuine needy. They have no scruples,morals,and would, and do take from those who are worse off,not just monetary, but in many other ways. There are now so many of these cheats,that they are eventually going to make things worse for the genuine as the government make more cuts. Disgraceful,and I hope that at least a few of them read my post and recognise themselves.

Reply Posted by andys on Sunday October 6 2013 at 16:58
nice pic of the traffic warden by the way,mouth open catchin flies,just the type of inbred pieces of crap that wardens are,please boot on site

Reply Posted by anon on Sunday October 6 2013 at 21:16
parking on pavements must be their 1st priority .

Reply Posted by A Nonnie Mouse on Monday October 7 2013 at 17:21
.... and parking too close to road junctions/dangerous bends. WAB, please can you find out and publish how people can report nuisance parking and what will be done about it.
Is there not a way that people can post photo's of people incorrectly parked so that they can be prosecuted for it??

Reply Posted by A Nonnie Mouse on Monday October 7 2013 at 17:19
It isn't just blue badges being abused, permits being ignored, it's complete and utter disregard for other road users and pedestrians.
Too many people....
1. park within 10 metres of a road junction
2. park opposite or on a road junction
3. park facing the wrong direction after the hours of darkness
4. park on pavements making them unusable for people with wheelchairs or prams
5. park over peoples driveways
6. park on double yellow lines
7. abuse parking permits/badges
8. ignore parking spaces in car parks

I'm sure that this drop in standards is only a symptom of the drop in standards that people in general appear to have towards everything in life these days. People seem to think that they have a god given right for things to be easier for them and sod everyone else - well done Barnsley MBC. If these rules are correctly enforced all across the borough and not just in the main town/village centres then I'm sure that people will start to be more courteous and understanding of others.

Reply Posted by anon on Monday October 7 2013 at 18:19
they'd have a field day in Bolton upon dearne.

Reply Posted by g on Monday October 7 2013 at 22:09
might have to startpaying attention to that landrover that parks outside pollyannas on market hill all day thats been getting a blind eye turned parked on yellows and white zig zags

Reply Posted by T on Tuesday October 8 2013 at 09:22
Pay and Display. Pretty simple, and saves a whole lot of hassle.

Reply Posted by A Nonnie Mouse on Tuesday October 8 2013 at 09:59
Tha's missed the point here owd fella...... Pay and display might apply to town centres but it kills trade and closes businesses and has nothing at all to do with side roads/residential areas. The problems is a lack of respect and complete and utter selfishness on the part of idiots who don't see that they are in the wrong. This attitude affects all their life and habits and needs stamping out quick if we are to make this country/town good again.

Reply Posted by SAMMY on Tuesday October 8 2013 at 23:18
LOL WHAT A JOKE.....what about the taxi drivers that park there cars outside natwest and a cross from the halifax on a night i went to pick my husband up the other night and every space for blue badge holders only....was full with taxi cars so it's just jo bloggs i bet if a normal driver parked in there taxi rank for 20-30 they would have summart to say

Reply Posted by Dan on Thursday October 10 2013 at 18:36
God ime scared

Reply Posted by Collet on Thursday October 10 2013 at 21:18
If we all had a job like local MPs and Councillors we would all be able to pay the fines,don't forget they need the extra cash to help pay for expenses

Reply Posted by observer on Thursday October 10 2013 at 21:40
im surprised everyone supporting the council on the issue. in these times of "austerity" where the hell is the money coming from to employ these jobsworths?..end of day we buy cars. we pay car tax. we pay road tax. we are heavily taxed on fuel. we are fined for speeding. fined for parking. it goes on and on. the motorist in the uk are the most persecuted people on earth.we should be able to park where we like. when we like.

Reply Posted by jeremy clarkson on Thursday October 10 2013 at 21:48
You can't say that observer. Some drivers are so scared to walk that they,ll be parking in shop doorways and outside classrooms.

Reply Posted by Max-Air on Friday October 11 2013 at 05:46
I agree with Observer, us motorists pay enough out, my question is to all the ones wanting traffic wardens, do you drive ??

Reply Posted by tarn on Friday October 11 2013 at 18:12
The worst culprits are the ones with expensive cars..because they cant be bothered or cant be arsed paying for a ticket and when they get a yellow parking fine on their window,its no big deal because they can afford it. Land rover 4x4 folk are the worst..I went out last week to find some toys for young un and I counted 5 black and silver Land rover 4x4 parked illegally whether it be double yellow outside the local bar or not actually paying for a ticket..gets my goat up because I know if I did that I would get a ticket in the 1st minute of parking there.

Reply Posted by karen on Friday June 6 2014 at 09:03
I pay 64 pound a month on car parking in swansea wich is a pain I only wrk part time plus if we go out like we did on sunday we had 2 pay to park down the sa1 2 go on the ship then we went down vurdies for icecream strait after had 2 pay a nother 2pound 2park and the the day b4 that we went in2 town center had 2 pay again then in the night went 2 parkin st marys they had closed the car park so u couldnt park in their after 8 which is redicolas so I parked by ice land and had a ticked put on thecar at 21:16 . I am so feed up of paying 2 park in swansea .thought it wanted more people 2 visit the center