News » WAB Guides

New Waste Collections Outlined By Council

Wednesday October 2 2013

WASTE collections in Barnsley are set to drastically alter. Here's your WAB Guide on what's new.

The council said although they're 'committed' to fortnightly collections of grey bin waste, other recycling collections will change.

The way Barnsley residents have been recycling, and the feedback received, has shown that people want their garden waste collected all year round, not just in the summer.

It's also apparent that the rise in email and electronic copies of paperwork means there's less paper to recycle. In the past five years, paper collected at the kerbside in Barnsley has dropped by 1,500 tonnes.

For glass, cans and plastics, only half the bins are being put out for emptying every time.

So collections are set to be adapted to make better use of resources in light of their findings. This would see waste collected like this throughout the summer:

Week 1: garden waste, cardboard, paper
Week 2: non-recyclable grey bin waste
Week 3: garden waste, glass, cans, plastic bottles
Week 4: non-recyclable grey bin waste

One of the garden waste collections will stop during winter months (December to February) and be reinstated in March. Actual dates and week affected will be confirmed on residents’ leaflets.

To prevent mixing of different types of waste, the use of bins will also change. Residents across the borough will receive a leaflet explaining the changes and when they will start in their area. The changes will only apply from the dates on the leaflet.

Grey bins: fortnightly, non-recyclable waste

Green bins: garden waste only - fortnightly up to winter, then four-weekly

Brown bins: glass, cans, plastic bottles - four-weekly

Blue bins: cardboard only - four-weekly

White bag: a new scheme of a hard-wearing, hessian-like 55-litre bag for paper

Cllr Roy Miller, cabinet spokesperson for development, environment and culture, said: "The people of Barnsley have been fantastic in the way they have taken to recycling, taking us to a rate of 46 per cent, which seemed an unthinkable target only a few years ago.

"The changes in these services will allow them to continue recycling with minimal impact."

Switching to this system will save the council £250,000 a year. There will be a one-off £220,000 investment needed to implement the changes to the system. This includes supplying blue bins for those who don’t have one, or larger 240-litre brown or blue bins for those residents worried about their ability to cope with the increased gap between collections.

If approved by its cabinet, phase one of the changes will affect 15,000 properties covering Hoyland Common, Worsbrough, Birdwell, Kendray, Kexborough, Barugh Green, Mapplewell, Darton and Staincross.

These properties will receive their leaflets and white sacks in October, their additional bins in November and the revised service will start in December which includes the collection of garden waste throughout the year.

Phase two will cover the rest of the borough, with white sacks and leaflets being issued in December/January, additional containers in February, and revised service in March.

These residents will have garden waste suspended over the winter as in previous years and will receive a separate leaflet.

For more information, call 01226 772045, or email here.

Reply Posted by Nini on Wednesday October 2 2013 at 12:12
Don't like moaning but.... I don't want to have extra bins!! I think they look gross and I manage mine ok without the monstrosities and recycle every last thing. Hope we get a choice?!

Reply Posted by Avid Recycler on Thursday October 3 2013 at 11:50
I think it says an extra bag not a bin. Presume we can keep this in one of the bins til collection day

Reply Posted by Michelle on Wednesday October 2 2013 at 12:15
I think grey bins should be back to weekly but I wouldn't mind other bins been four-weekly

Reply Posted by Kateyt on Wednesday October 2 2013 at 12:16
I think the glass/cans/plastic bottles four weekly is a big mistake and think people will have no choice but to put this stuff in their grey bin therefore not recycling.

Reply Posted by maxine on Wednesday October 2 2013 at 13:54
I totally agree with you. With all the packaging from supermarkets and a family of 4 my brown bin glass/cans/plastic gets full in ONE week! So I use my neighbours bins which are less full). Its a ridiculous idea once every 4 weeks!!

Reply Posted by Tom on Wednesday October 2 2013 at 20:39
Indeed. My brown bill fills up very quickly. I generate about £25 of scrap metal a year.
I'll just start hoarding it and cashing it in, and I can then use the brown bin as a water butt. No point only recycling half of my recyclable waste for the council to make a profit, when I can recycle it all and make a profit for myself.
Will have to see about getting a van and collecting others people's profitable recyclable waste.

Reply Posted by Avid recycler on Wednesday October 2 2013 at 23:31
Leaflet says might be bigger bins for those that need em so why would anyone put it back in grey bin for landfill? Recycling saves money and that is a good thing

Reply Posted by LV on Sunday October 6 2013 at 19:09
Do you crush your cans and plastic bottles? it saves a lot of room!! My recycling bins were stolen between the last tenants moving out and me moving in and I haven't got the spare funds to buy more. Even though it is only myself and my partner in our house we manage with a solitary grey bin which is collected fortnightly - but if sometimes forgotten about so we have to manage for 4 weeks - but we manage. You have to look at what you're throwing out and see what can be done to minimise the space that is being taken up. Just by crushing cans you can save a lot of room!! opt for frozen veg instead of tinned as the packaging is used for longer and takes up less space in the bin - changing little things makes big differences!!

Reply Posted by Dawn on Friday December 6 2013 at 12:45
Bins are free if you contact waste managment and collect them from smithies.
The charge is for delivery of the bins - just pop down and collect new ones (also think the charge is same for one or multiple bins if being delivered)

Reply Posted by ruth miller on Wednesday October 2 2013 at 12:18
brown bins need emptying more often not less often mine is always full after one week, this needs more reserch barnsley coucil not all households are the same

Reply Posted by Ian on Wednesday October 2 2013 at 20:44
I agree with Ruth. All households are not the same. So here we go again. Imposing it on the rest of us.!

Reply Posted by Mandy on Wednesday October 2 2013 at 12:18
I agree with the blue bin to 4 weekly but think they should be emptyed extra on Christmas week due to all the wrapping paper, but not the brown bin, I use mine all the time and by time the 2 weeks are up it's overflowing has is the grey bin.

Reply Posted by bryn on Wednesday October 2 2013 at 12:22
They have got to be joking? The brown bins need emptying more often because of all the plastic and bottles.

Reply Posted by Big Al on Wednesday October 2 2013 at 12:30
think you are putting your plastic and bottles in the wrong bin

Reply Posted by maxine on Wednesday October 2 2013 at 13:56
my glass/can/plastic bin is also brown

Reply Posted by Melanie on Thursday October 3 2013 at 06:46
My plastic / glass / tins also go in the brown bin, as do most folks I think

Reply Posted by Keely on Wednesday October 2 2013 at 12:23
In my opinion, I think that grey bins should be weekly. This is because of how quickly they actually fill up within just one week and then having to wait another week for it to be emptied. I know most of you won't agree to my opinion, but we're all entitled to our own opinions, so I thought I'd express mine.

Reply Posted by A nonnie mouse on Wednesday October 2 2013 at 13:43
Buy stuff with less packaging love or stop eating takeaways all the time and cook real food. A potato peeling is a lot less bulky in your bin than a plastic tray!!

Reply Posted by maxine on Wednesday October 2 2013 at 13:57
what a horrible and rude response 'a nonnie mouse'. Totally uncalled for!!

Reply Posted by sid on Wednesday October 2 2013 at 14:07
Im with you maxine. The mouse is rude. Iv noticed that before. She,s a big head. She knows alot about bins, maybe she should be called A nonnie rat?

Reply Posted by Little sprout on Wednesday October 2 2013 at 14:57
Well I agree with A nonnie mouse.

Reply Posted by sid on Wednesday October 2 2013 at 15:02
Dont be silly little sprout. How do you or the mouse know that Keely eats lots of takeaways and dosn,t eat real food! Anyway,most of the takeaway cartons dont get binned, they end up in my flipping garden!!!

Reply Posted by Little sprout on Wednesday October 2 2013 at 15:19
Because her bin is overflowing!

Just in case I need to tip some of my surplus waste at some point in the future can you tell me where you live so that I can bring it round?

Reply Posted by sid on Wednesday October 2 2013 at 15:24
back tracking twaddle.

Reply Posted by kelly on Wednesday October 2 2013 at 12:28
Are these idiots having a laugh? Every summer we are having increased numbers of wasps, rats and fly's which are dropping there eggs everywhere and we're being taken over by maggots.... These bins stink, they never get empty properly, no-one does a bin cleaning services for recycled bins and the ones they do do they leave wet through. My Brown bin is always overflowing are they going to swap this one for a bigger size. Why do we need so many collections of the green bin, its not needed even in the summer months and I'm a keen gardener.... Half the bins don't get put out coz ppl still don't have them.... My neighbour put in for the blue and brown bin last time they sent letters round offering them for free and he's still waiting... He doesn't drive to collect from depot for free so will therefore have to shell out £15 he doesn't have to recycle properly.... Really I don't know where these thick twats get there ideas from... Black bins need to go back to weekly collections...COMPLETE AND UTTER IDIOTS!!!

Reply Posted by Little sprout on Wednesday October 2 2013 at 15:01
You dirty devil. Get your bin cleaned.

Well done Barnsley Council. These new changes make good sense to all normal people. It is only the ignorant/lazy sods who will complain and they should sort their lives out.

Reply Posted by sid on Wednesday October 2 2013 at 15:06
Youre posting some twaddle today little sprout. I have my bins cleaned after every empty, and still have found maggots by the next due date! Im not ignorant or lazy. Oh and by the way,Im quite normal and my life is well sorted too thanks. Youre being a plonker.

Reply Posted by Little sprout on Wednesday October 2 2013 at 15:22
Well, you may think you're normal. But come on, get real.

Reply Posted by sid on Wednesday October 2 2013 at 15:26
HAHAHA, says the person that calls himself little sprout! Twaddle!

Reply Posted by Little sprout on Wednesday October 2 2013 at 15:48
Is this all you have to do all day, sat there posting nonsense on here. I suggest you get out there, give all the bins a good clean and clear all the rubbish from your garden. There will need to be plenty of space for when I come round.

Reply Posted by sid on Wednesday October 2 2013 at 16:05
Little sprout, just saying today youre posting some twaddle. Thats all. Now its sarcy twaddle.

Reply Posted by kelly on Thursday October 3 2013 at 13:01
Here little sprout, which is obviously what you have..... I pay to have my grey bin cleaned... I clean my other bins! Now when you get summer months n your on ur 2nd week waiting for your grey bin to be emptied I can't clean it can I? Tha as much of an idiot as they are.... I'm far from being lazy or ignorant... I pay my council tax and should therefore get the service I pay for... Not to keep having my council tax rise year after year and get less and less for it. If council want to save money then why don't they start on the stupid water feature by town hall... Just as useless to us as your pathetic comments..... Obviously still live at home with mummy who still washing ur little sprout!!!!

Reply Posted by Little sprout on Sunday October 6 2013 at 12:52
Hey sid, Stop taking the mickey lad i'm great me like and everything I say makes sense and it the whole truth, nothing but the truth.

Reply Posted by Little sprout on Sunday October 6 2013 at 12:52

Reply Posted by Hazeus H Kristé on Friday December 6 2013 at 12:49
Clean your own bin like everyone else does.

Reply Posted by king louis on Wednesday October 2 2013 at 12:29
our brown bin is about as full as the grey one because most containers go in it needs emptying more not less

Reply Posted by come on on Wednesday October 2 2013 at 12:30
Brown bins need to be collected at least fortnightly. If you have kids then plastic pop bottle and milk cartons do add up. Wonder which dumb wit thought this up down at Smithies????

Reply Posted by PJ on Wednesday October 2 2013 at 12:32
I'm all for trying to save money & trying new things, but our brown bin is almost always overflowing - we definitely won't fit two more weeks worth of recycling in it! And seriously - do we need to have an additional bag - four bins already is enough!! We are lucky to have plenty of space in the back garden, but lots don't and they look a mess having them in front gardens!

Reply Posted by realworld person on Wednesday October 2 2013 at 12:35
Well done Barnsley council, for not thinking things through.As the cold winter months draw near ,more people eat more ,fact!! which means more cans ,more plastic wrappings and to top it all off they definatly drink more at home (beer ,wine and spirits),why would any body think that it would be a sensible descion to change emptying a bin that is going to get fuller quicker , is beyond rational thought.
If it ain't don't try and fix it!!!

Reply Posted by Robert Hargreaves on Wednesday October 2 2013 at 12:36
If brown bins are to be emptied monthly tgen at least double their size. Ours is overflowing every collection so will be worse if longer periods between emptying.

Reply Posted by debs on Wednesday October 2 2013 at 12:38
what a load of bollocks

Reply Posted by Little sprout on Wednesday October 2 2013 at 15:50
The above comment was made by a lady from Barnsley. What hope do we have?

Reply Posted by Little sprout on Sunday October 6 2013 at 12:54
we have no hope whilst ever Little sprout is talking babba.

Reply Posted by Andrew Walker on Wednesday October 2 2013 at 12:38
This is a stupid system, these numbskulls from the council are nothing short of bent.

Reply Posted by Mick on Wednesday October 2 2013 at 12:43
I think the biggest obstacle to this working will be confusion about which bins are due to be collected. Combination of 2 & 4 week rotas & different again in winter.

Reply Posted by Andy on Wednesday October 2 2013 at 12:44
Cutting brown bin collection and changing paper to a white bag will lead to less people recycling, I for one don't want a bag and my brown bin is full every fortnight with milk and pop bottles

Reply Posted by Kim on Wednesday October 2 2013 at 12:44
Grey bin is difficult at every fortnight. Mine is always overflowing! Manage the rest fine but not sure if the grown bin could last that long. Things will end up going in the grey bin making the overflowing issue worse!

Reply Posted by Leanne on Wednesday October 2 2013 at 12:46
This is stupid. We put our cans/plastic bottle bin out every fortnight due to it being full. Now we'll just get a collection in the house and once it's been emptied it'll get full straight after.

Reply Posted by Rubydoo on Wednesday October 2 2013 at 12:47
The article does say you can have a bigger brown bin to help you cope.
We certainly need one our brown bin is always full before collection day.

Reply Posted by Antony on Wednesday October 2 2013 at 12:50
Brown bin needs empting more often it only takes a week and are brown bin is nearly full.

Reply Posted by poz on Wednesday October 2 2013 at 12:55
My brown bin needs emptyin every 2 weeks especially in the summer i have had maggots in this bin before and this must be a health hazard oh n by the way will my council tax bill be amended in consideration of this new service??? No didnt think it would less service but more money nice 1 bmbc you can set those extra assistant directors on at 50k a yr now...pathetic..

Reply Posted by jade on Wednesday October 2 2013 at 13:01
i think the grey should be weekly and if the brown is going to be four weekly than it needs to be a bigger bin

Reply Posted by louise on Wednesday October 2 2013 at 13:01
i would like the grey bin to be weekley again i really struggle and its always overflowing dispite being an avid recycler the brown bin it just full at the two week point so no way wed cope if it was longer. the blue one we hardley ever fill and the others we cope with ok. Grey defo an issue though

Reply Posted by Melanie on Thursday October 3 2013 at 06:53
I'm a keen recycler too and I'm the same as you. My grey bin does get full quite quickly and my brown is up to the top by the two week point. Again the others are fine as they are.

Reply Posted by Melanie on Thursday October 3 2013 at 06:53

Reply Posted by doh! on Wednesday October 2 2013 at 13:01
Council numbnuts dont have a clue. You really think thats all.going to help Look at chrismas my bins are overflowing with everything.

Reply Posted by sash on Wednesday October 2 2013 at 13:06
i try to recycle but honestly everything goes in my kitchen bin and all that goes in my grey bin if we have beer cans etc we dont put it out everyweek as we wait til it full but over xmas it it will be full quick grey bin must be weekly again because with a big family i cant order a extra that ur allowed because i get idiots puttin there crap in mine and once was refused to have it emptied as someone threw alsorts in and the top wouldnt close at all

Reply Posted by Ged on Wednesday October 2 2013 at 13:07
Stronger green bins required. They can't survive the multi-thump that the bin men give them. If the brown bins get compressed to get more in, they'll split as well and the night shift will be well awake with all the extra noise.

Hope this white bag has a hanger so it can go inside one of the other bins - until full.

Reply Posted by Ann on Wednesday October 2 2013 at 13:10
For those moaning about council tax ... You should realise that only 50p of council tax goes towards emptying bins .. And those moaning about maggots and flies .. Why can you not wash the bin out yourselves! It doesnt take long .. At least the council are trying to listen to what people want .. Give them a break .. Household waste do a sterling job in the wake of numerous budget and manpower cuts ..

Reply Posted by Fred on Friday October 18 2013 at 21:34
Bin men are bone idle. They want the job doing for them.

Reply Posted by Swifty on Wednesday October 2 2013 at 13:11
Very time I read an article with the name Cllr Roy Miller you know straight away what another fiasco.

Here we go every house in the town will be receiving sticky labels with new dates Do and Do not with this and that Bin etc.

why don't you Mr Miller stick them up your Ar** before you start printing them.

The only thing that need changing is Grey Bins to WEELKY. which will stops the un-controllable situation every area of the town is facing trying to control rats.

And just to add a point if the Council fined and named and shamed the Dog owners that allow there dogs to crap everywhere. We could fund the extra Grey Bin collections money from dog S**t.

You never no they could even be a little left for the boys MR Miller.

Reply Posted by Neil on Wednesday October 2 2013 at 13:17
what a joke, our brown bin is full to busting every time & needs emptying no way can we go 4 weeks...

Reply Posted by Heather on Wednesday October 2 2013 at 13:18
I'll never fit all the cardboard in the blue bin. Don't they know people are having more and more things delivered due to internet shopping which equals lots of boxes!

Reply Posted by Ken Wilby on Wednesday October 2 2013 at 13:20
I've always tried to recycle but might just say sod it now and put everything in the grey bin. Talk about confusing.

Reply Posted by Ray Porter on Wednesday October 2 2013 at 13:22
Cllr Roy Miller isn't he the one who thought up the Wakefield Road fiasco,says it all!

Reply Posted by mark on Wednesday October 2 2013 at 13:24
ha ha pmsl this is most comments ive ever seen on ere and wats the subject? rubbish!! jus about sums barnsley up really, loads of personel comments not takin big picture into consideration at all, makes ya proud to be from barnsley eh? my god, people come on!!!!! sort ya selves out, i have never and will never lose sleep over bin collections ha ha on account of having a life

Reply Posted by sarah on Wednesday October 2 2013 at 13:36
I thought cardboard went into the green bin paper in the blue and glass and plastic bottles and cans in the brown

Reply Posted by bevholly on Wednesday October 2 2013 at 13:53
If you put paper in a hessian bag won't it get wet through and how am I going to get it to the roadside then. I have very little cardboard could do with the bins swapping for the big

Reply Posted by sid on Wednesday October 2 2013 at 13:56
It,ll give all the new litter pickers something to do.
We have had maggots in our bin though,and I have the bin cleaner round after each empty.

Reply Posted by angry on Wednesday October 2 2013 at 13:57
Big mistake on the brown bins, mine are full nearly every wee so making collections every 4 weeks will leave me with no choice but to throw my cans, glasses and bottles into the grey bin and risk being fined and also filling my grey bin twice as quick!!, I have 4 children and you can imagine the amount of plastic pop bottles, tins of beans and spaghetti e.t.c that i go through on a weekly basis. i agree with the blue bin and green bin collection periods but to me it makes no sense whatsoever to cut back on brown bin collections, the only reason i can think of this is because the council want to make cutbacks and save money due to the government reducing the amount of funding our council services get yearly, rather than making deductions on council staff wages or internal cutbacks they would rather hit us with the cost instead. i would like to know why us taxpayers have not been asked our general opinion on this matter and asked how it would affect us all as a whole, arent we the ones paying for these services through our taxes?, shouldnt we be able to have our say on the way our money is used on our services??? I advise any worried taxpayer to contact the council and voice your opinions, wether it be through a letter or a phone call, if enough people do this they might actually pay attention and us how we want our waste collected!

Reply Posted by hi on Wednesday October 2 2013 at 13:59
well i carnt wait to see how much rubbish theres going be dumped all over the place,streets are going to look nice and clean,,NOT,be more for all the rats to go threw ,kids to set fires etc ,

Reply Posted by maxine on Wednesday October 2 2013 at 14:02
WAB is there any way that you could put forward to the council the response you have had regarding this story? It seems to me, and I agree that, the council have got this way, way wrong! Especially with the brown bins. Who did they ask? I have never been asked about waste collections?

Reply Posted by sid on Wednesday October 2 2013 at 14:04
Hey well said Maxine. WAB should show them these posts.

Reply Posted by Dawn Marie Volie're on Wednesday October 2 2013 at 14:04
I think every village should put a petition up against it just cos a couple of ppl want garden waste to be collected its ridiculous my cardboard bin and can and plastic bin are always full and need emptying more not less where do they expect ppl to put the rubbish when they 've filled their recycle bins they 'll put it all in grey bins and they 'll need emptying every week instead plus ppl having to remember each week what bin s need to go out and when and when they put wrong bin out it won't get emptied it won't save money cos ppl will end up with rats or they. 'll resort to fly tipping .grey bins will get used to put recyclable things in which doesn't get recycled you may as well just have grey bins and that's it . I think every one should sign a petition against it .or very least actually ask ppl what they want after all you've listened to the ppl who want to have garden waste all year around collection .

Reply Posted by Keith Richardson on Wednesday October 2 2013 at 14:17
Do these people who run our council come to the council meetings on a space ship from another planet. Absolutely ludicrous to put brown bins on a four weekly cycle. Either recycle efficiently .....or don't bother recycling

Reply Posted by Judith on Wednesday October 2 2013 at 14:19
I have just been t my mums in elsecar where the bin men r working today, they let a bag of rubbish fall onto the road and just left it we get fined for littering what will happen t them, mmmm I wonder

Reply Posted by amy on Wednesday October 2 2013 at 14:29
Well i thought 2 weeks ago id b ok nt to put my half filled recycled bins out big mistake cos now my brown bin is over flowing and same with the green one so defo nt a good idea on my account to change the weeks they get emptied although i do think the grey bins should go bk to weekly the brains behind this stupid idea should try t live in a normal house wi a couple of kids n c how much waste u get from drinks bottles n milk cartons

Reply Posted by pam on Wednesday October 2 2013 at 14:29
Erm hessian bag for paper?!?! In winter months realy!!! phaha this is an utter and compleat waste of time just to cut more jobs.. having three boys and just a small bin for cardboard at xmas will prove difficult as with many households... its a joke just like council

Reply Posted by Ged on Wednesday October 2 2013 at 14:30
Perhaps we should revert to a Spanish system of three giant bins per street and have them emptied daily, but that would mean a walk, or a Belgian system of going to the Supermarket and buying an official black refuse bag, all other bags not acceptable and spot fined if left out. Refuse is a problem no matter where you live . Not an easy problem to solve.

Reply Posted by Steve on Wednesday October 2 2013 at 14:34
It is all well and good having a go at Cllr Roy Miller, but the people of Barnsley have voted him in to make the decisions.. And will this change in the next elections? No course it wont becouse all that anyone thinks is 'Minors Strike' but that was nearly 30 years ago. If you want things to change then get rid of Labour and vote for the right people not the 'Well if it were good enough for mi dad then its good enough for me' mentality. Fact: our MP Dan Jarvis is not from Barnsley!! but for some reason he is now the best person to make decisions and represent us.. No his main responsibility is to the labour party. Same for all the councellors. Remember Eric Illsley was he best placed to look after us... Not now he is in Jail. Barnsley people need to make a stand and vote out the idiots..
Maybe independant group would be lesser of an evil that the muppets currently running the show today and maybe then we can just have a road system that works (wickes) and sensible bin collections.

Reply Posted by Stevo on Wednesday October 2 2013 at 14:41
I agree Stevey Baby, if people aren't pleased with Councillor Miller then they should show their displeasure next time at the ballot box instead of continually moaning on here.

I know him and he is only interested in one thing - himself.

Reply Posted by Bob on Wednesday October 2 2013 at 14:44
Can you not smash bottles into brown bin and roll plastic bottles up with top on. It all gets smashed into truck.

Reply Posted by Stevo on Wednesday October 2 2013 at 14:49
Brown Bins once a MONTH? Are they serious?

Whilst I am an avid recycler, I find that my brown bin is always full after two weeks, I never put aluminium cans in it either as I separate them and give them to my neighbour for the Help For Heroes charity.

Obviously if they go to the monthly brown collection then as far as I am concerned BMBC are indeed idiotic, once my brown bin is full then I will have no option to put the contents into a bag and take them to my local recycling centre which kind of defeats the entire object of recycling, being green and protecting the environment for future generations doesn't it?

Reply Posted by hotdog on Wednesday October 2 2013 at 14:54
I think they need to retrain the bin men in general. After they have been and emptied bins on my street theres rubbish everywhere.. they pick nothing up...they have an easier job and more money than bin men 15 years ago and do a quarter of the work.. council is a waste of space ..

Reply Posted by glyn on Wednesday October 2 2013 at 15:00
Many people are saying that their brown bins are full and smell after 2 weeks. The council has already said that people will be able to have a larger brown and blue bin. When i was married (a family of 6) our brown bin was never full or smelly and was often not full after 4 weeks. The reason?. We rinsed out cans, cartons and bottles to reduce the possibility of smells then cans and plastic bottles wher crushed to save space.

Reply Posted by G on Wednesday October 2 2013 at 15:01
Really!?!?!?!? I have enough on remember whether it's the week for grey bin or green/blue/brown bin collection. Now we have 4 weeks of different collections to get confused about. And a sack for paper? We live on a tiny street and have to take our bins all the way down the end to be emptied, and we're going to have to carry a big sack down too?

The only thing that needs changing about bin collections is the grey bins need to be weekly. And blue bins in my area are currently paper - but not they're to become cardboard? They're tiny! I manage to fill the green bin up full with cardboard to be collected every 2 weeks anyway, but now it's only going to be collected every 4 weeks and in a smaller bin? It just does not make sense.

Reply Posted by if i had my way on Wednesday October 2 2013 at 15:11
if it was down to me take the money off the council tax it takes to run the bin service then if you want youre bin emptying you go and pay for it to be done every time you wanted it doing.

Reply Posted by Holly on Wednesday October 2 2013 at 15:32
How can the brown & blue bins get mouldy?!
Your supposed to rinse your cans before putting them in there?!
Dirty buggers!

Reply Posted by Collet on Wednesday October 2 2013 at 16:10
If only you people changed your votes in stead putting all these stupid same Councillors back in power we wouldn't be having this debate.

Reply Posted by Stevo on Wednesday October 2 2013 at 16:47
Collet, agree perhaps one day the people in our once great town will finally wake up and realise the ruling local Labour party are a complete and utter waste of time.
I cant ever see it happening in my lifetime though...

Reply Posted by Charles on Wednesday October 2 2013 at 16:54
Nor in mine.

Reply Posted by Stevo on Wednesday October 2 2013 at 17:14
I DO agree with you on this one old bean!

Reply Posted by chris on Wednesday October 2 2013 at 16:14
My brown bin is full after 2 weeks so what do I do with the other 2 weeks worth of plastic bottles, tin cans etc, I know put them in the grey bin. Yet again Barnsley Council have got it wrong!

Reply Posted by sid on Wednesday October 2 2013 at 16:14
we had bags for papers to start with,they ended up blowing about all over the place. It didnt work.

Reply Posted by Kpo on Wednesday October 2 2013 at 16:27
Our green bin is full of cardboard on every collection. There is rarely any garden waste in it. Our brown bin is also full on every collection. So with a smaller cardboard bin and the brown in only been emptied every four weeks we will fill our gray bin faster and not be able to recyel as much. The problem is more likely that people forget to put their bins out of just can't be bothered to recycle. Personally I don't mind not having garden waste collected for a few months. Who really wants to garden in the rain and snow any way.

Reply Posted by P Seddon on Wednesday October 2 2013 at 17:03
Brown bins need emptying every 2 weeks it's stupid to even consider 4 weeks.
and you will be confusing people they will never know what week it is.

Reply Posted by Patricia on Wednesday October 2 2013 at 17:05
Collect grey bins weekly and others every four weeks for others. BUT NO MORE BINS PLEASE, it's bad enough the ones we have .

Reply Posted by Janet on Wednesday October 2 2013 at 17:17
Can't see what change they've made to garden waste, they haven't collected over winter for the last few years, which is a pain cos they've stopped sweeping leaves from my road so I end up collecting them and just fill sacks and sacks until normal service resumes. What part of we want garden waste picked up all year round don't they understand?

Reply Posted by Terry on Wednesday October 2 2013 at 17:51
Why don't we just do away with bin rounds altogether. We,ll get our wheel barrows out and push it to dump sites ourselves. May aswell with the services we get, and to reduce it again. What are the council thinking ???. It's funny when all this recycling came in I can't remember any reduction in my council tax for all the tins in my bins have collected, council must be making a fortune from the weighing in, but yet they want to reduce us again. It will save £250,000 a year, well done BMBC , now how much extra will it cost on clearing up when people decide to fly tip because they can't get rid of all there rubbish. I swear there somebody down at BMBC pen pushing with who can get the residents of Barnsleys backs up the most. Absolutely disgusting. It'd council wanna make cutbacks start paying for your own functions and party's , not at the expensive of Barnsley people, utter twits !!!

Reply Posted by Kirsty on Wednesday October 2 2013 at 17:59
Crikey... my grey bin can last 4-6 weeks, and doesn't smell - guess it depends when you throw out. I don't have a lot of food waste as I eat what I buy, and fruit/vegetable peelings can go into a compost bin quite easily. Also, I cook a lot from scratch, use the local butchers, fruit and veg market etc so I don't have a lot of plastic waste, or cans or bottles, I actually think these new proposals are a good use of a ever shrinking council budget.

Reply Posted by Adzah on Wednesday October 2 2013 at 17:59
,half the stuff we throw away can be recycled, but we do not have the facilities to recycle all these items. so they simply go into the grey bin, but if we had a better recycling centre that can accommodate all types of recyclables people would start using the bins, then as a reward to all those people using the recycling bins the council drops their council tax. Meaning a greener town and happy residents. But our council don't see it that way nor do many others

Reply Posted by just on Wednesday October 2 2013 at 18:21
grey bins really need to be emptied every week the amount of bins I've seen with maggots crawling out of them especially through the summer months is unreal talk about spreading germs and diseases the council need to get a grip and stop thinking about lining there pockets

Reply Posted by moaning mickie on Wednesday October 2 2013 at 18:28
Seven of us in our house n R bins a full to the brim every time they get emptied monthly rounds wat a load of sh#£

Reply Posted by kath on Wednesday October 2 2013 at 18:57
why doesn't Barnsley council look how people recycle in other areas of the country and put card & paper together a bag for paper so streets are going to get littered up again especially when its windy also bags get pinched or blown away .I agree about brown bins too they want emptying the same .

Reply Posted by Collet on Wednesday October 2 2013 at 19:44
Now you have just informed BMBC how to recycle grey bins as normal green as normal except in winter brown as normal blue paper once a month,some councillor will get a pay rise for his contribution helping them to save Bugger All.??

Reply Posted by observer on Wednesday October 2 2013 at 19:45
hold on??..I have a green bin. I put in the green bin cardboard. and garden waste. and its always taken?..for the people who have waste issues. you are permitted to have a fire in the garden between the hours of 19. 30. till 22.00. providing you are over the age of 18. the police wont intervene. and its ok with the council. so.....burn it.

Reply Posted by tom on Wednesday October 2 2013 at 20:52
You can have a fire whenever you want, just not constantly, day after day.

Reply Posted by Angie on Wednesday October 2 2013 at 19:52
Inspired!? Encourage us to recycle more then reduce collections. My brown bin needs emptying at least fortnightly. And I am certainly not putting paper in a bag!

Reply Posted by Gill on Wednesday October 2 2013 at 20:42
I don't always put my bins out but there are only 2 of us. I don't want another bin I don't have room for it in my small backyard likewise I don't want a bag for paper what a daft idea that is what will happen to them when they are empty the streets will be covered in them. They will also be too heavy to carry especially when they get wet and I certainly don't want to be keeping it in the house. With living in a terrace with a backyard I also don't get a lot of garden waste and have no need to compost and with a large percentage of people living in terraced properties with no gardens I fail to see how changing the garden waste collection will save money.

Reply Posted by Tom on Wednesday October 2 2013 at 20:50
Out of 40 homes on my street, only 3 of us have brown bins, and only 2 have blue ones. BMBC need to make sure people have recycling bins in the first place! I only got mine because I complained.
I fill my brown bin very quickly, for me, a bigger brown bin would help me recycle more or weekly collections for the brown bin.
The grey bin I only need to put out about once every 10 weeks.
The green bin every four weeks.
The blue bin I have written 'brown' on, and I use it as a brown bin.

Reply Posted by mrs on Wednesday October 2 2013 at 20:52
they can not even collect grey bins fortnightly, should have been our collection today and still not collected, why o why do we pay?

Reply Posted by me on Wednesday October 2 2013 at 21:26
Its a joke if colour bins going to be every 4 weeks im putting black bags on street with bottles n plastic in there 6 of us in my house n we got big bins but after a week there full perfetic

Reply Posted by Swifty on Wednesday October 2 2013 at 21:32
Let's have a week where every household in Barnsley Take there weekly household waste back to the supermarkets. They would not like that. Let's face far too much packaging on food in shops today. Someone might listen than.

Remember No Snap = No Rats

Reply Posted by josie on Wednesday October 2 2013 at 22:03
I really don't see the big deal about this. If people run out of room in the recycling bins, then people could take stuff to the nearest recycling plant, like tesco or whatever.

Reply Posted by STEVO on Thursday October 3 2013 at 06:40
Don't mean to sound pedantic, but the whole point of separating waste and recycling is to further protect the environment and lower the carbon footprint, save the ozone layer etc etc
(also creates extra revenue for BMBC to squander)

Taking your "excess" recyclables to the nearest recycling "station" by car kind of defeats the object does it not?

Not to mention further having to separate said recyclables, bagging them up and leakage of open cans / wine bottles etc in ones car.

Reply Posted by Lesley on Thursday October 3 2013 at 07:58
I see your point and already do this, but being in Council Tax F we do at least expect something for the massive amount of money we pay. Where we live we have no street lights, they don't grit and won't even give us a grit bin, so some regular collections would be nice ..........

Reply Posted by Ray on Wednesday October 2 2013 at 22:49
I dont get it why are they starting hoyland common and not Hoyland... Hoyland Common is mainly terraced housing and bungalows with small gardens. yet Hoyland is mainly semi detached with big gardens and we are only going to get 1 green bin a month................

Reply Posted by keeny on Thursday October 3 2013 at 02:00
Based on the previous comments above, the council should issue every household a 240 litre brown bin (no delivery charge) and it should stay being emptied every fortnight.
I live with 5 people and we have no difficulty filling our current brown bin and more often than not, we have to use our neighbours bins when available.We have no problem recycling but when push come to shove and our/ the neighbours brown bin's full after a week (especially around Christmas time) we put the surplus in the grey bin!

And as for our blue bin, we've had it nearly 3 years and never filled it!!

Reply Posted by Lesley on Thursday October 3 2013 at 07:30
We are so desperate with our brown bin that we already separate the plastics and take them to the tip ourselves. That still leaves our brown bin brimming full of glass and tins very two weeks. Not helpful to us .............

Reply Posted by Rubydoo on Thursday October 3 2013 at 08:40
The bag idea for paper is a real step backwards. They blow up and down the street when empty, get filthy and messy and are a real nuisance, not fit to keep in the house so get wet through out in the rain til collection day.Yuk!

Reply Posted by Leanne on Thursday October 3 2013 at 12:48
I think they should put grey bin back to weekly, and as for the brown bins been four weekly i thinks its rather discusting, as they will start to smell, my brown bin on fourtnightly at min gets rather full, so wats it goin to be like at four weekly,

Reply Posted by louise on Thursday October 3 2013 at 12:49
typical ,why can they not leave it alone..
I don't want to use a bag! as mentioned before it will blow away get dirty.. this is going backward in stead of forward ,the amount of recycling we do is unbelievable but that's not good enough they have to change why!
what happens with the recycled waste in first place ..The council obviously make a profit on it
its disgusting !

Reply Posted by eli on Tuesday February 25 2014 at 10:25
i am in my 70s and not in good health, we also have a long drive, would like to know how do i lift a heavy bag of papers.

Reply Posted by Wow on Thursday October 3 2013 at 13:18
Reading all these comments about bins been full WELL let's see grey bin non recyclables. Green bin garden waste and clean cardboard only. Brown bin glass bottles plastic bottles and cans ONLY this means NO margarine tubs kids plastic toys plastic food containers metal beds engine parts these are not supposed to be in the brown bin and finally Blue pin papers thin card that's it.

Reply Posted by Bean on Thursday October 3 2013 at 14:00
I would love to do more recycling however I do not have and have never had a blue or brown bin the rest of the street does however. I have called up for them but they are charging me is this right?

Reply Posted by annyaries on Thursday October 3 2013 at 16:04
How much as the council paid the idiot that came up with this my green and brown bins are always full to overflowing and the grey one with it being picked up fortnightly even though I bag all the rubbish still get maggots and allsorts in summer what a system and do they honestly believe recycling will improve how if bins are full what buffoons we have sorry the stupidity of this baffles me

Reply Posted by debbie on Thursday October 3 2013 at 16:31
my brown bin is over flowing every week with wine bottles, i will av to start putting them in my friends bin, and she wont like that cos not enough room for hers, we may fall out,

Reply Posted by Marie-Andrea on Friday October 4 2013 at 09:38
Generally everbody agrees that the blue bin is or " was fine " as it is changing, being emptied every 2 weeks and that is it a scandal that the brown bin should change to 4 weeks. I agree too. I can manage the blue bin without a problem, it is miles better than the blue plastic bag system some people still use but now a Hessian bag... they are joking! the heavy weight to carry for one... and the leaflets and newspapers will fly all over in the street if it's windy. I will have to look up at the bigger brown bin option ( if it is offered free..!) those who complain about maggots and the like please use a bit of commonsense and clean your bin yourself.. not hard! I use my jugement to notice if my needs a bit of bleach and sweeping brush in it while emptied. Cardboards put in blue bin... a complete waste of time.. green bin: okay especially in Winter time. Some Europeen countries ( I have seen it ) HAVE to take their garden twigs, branches and hedge clippings to the recycling centre and only have clear plastic bags for their magazines and newspapers therefore plenty have to go yet again to the recycling centre....Grey bins: some people qualify for a smaller extra grey bin, one of my neighbours does...

Reply Posted by lee varley on Friday October 4 2013 at 10:31
I'd just like to add that 1.We have 3 people in our family and my two neighbours are women living on their own which means our grey bin is full every week.2.My green bin is split down side and so is everyone elses.personally I could cope with this being emptied every 4 weeks as I don't put garden waste,only cardboard.(Xmas is an exception because of cardboard from presents etc.)3.The blue bin is the only one I could leave 1 month or even 2 month as I can never fill it with paper(Xmas different)4.The brown bin takes 2weeks to fill with bottles,milk cartons etc.I too have had maggots around the inside of the lid,and slugs too.I make sure that my grey bin only receives tied up black sacks and I don't put food straight into bin which then gets rid of the fly problem!I think the grey bin needs to be bigger,and then emptied fortnightly,and the other three emptied fortnightly.Other peoples circumstances would be different;-)

Reply Posted by Lorna Baker on Friday October 4 2013 at 13:53
so a bag for paper? that will be all over the streets then

Reply Posted by pissed off on Friday October 4 2013 at 13:54
This takes piss. Ill bet council tax wont go down though. ******* council wont be happy until whole of barnsley smells like a tip

Reply Posted by Lorna Baker on Friday October 4 2013 at 13:57
And are the council gonna give free delivery for bigger bins to the large families that need them, and do we have to send in evidence of how many people live in a household to get a large bin as i have been asked to do before? Outrageous!

Reply Posted by Lorna Baker on Friday October 4 2013 at 14:02
So bin for plastic and glass gettin emptied once a month, peoples bins will be way to full hence filling up the grey bin and not properly recycling, Barnsley council set to make more money cos they'll be throwing fines out all over the place. Loads more fly tipping which means employing more staff to clean it. Well done Barnsley council ya.ve well and truly thought this thru well!

Reply Posted by kate guest on Friday October 4 2013 at 15:35
well if the can & glass bin gets emptied 4 weekly them am not recycling, ours is overflowing every fortnight, so it looks like ill b filling grey bin up wi em n all, bloody pathetic...

Reply Posted by lisa on Friday October 4 2013 at 18:02
Just to answer Lorna.They will know how many there are in each household due to the forms U fill in before voting in may.There's 4 in my family and 3 of my neighbours each live on their own but still have the same bins as me.Surely we'd qualify for bigger bins.I think they should have thought about this b4 wheelie bins first came out.Different sized bins for different sized familys.Get some weights in the base of bins to stop 'em falling over also!!

Reply Posted by Lorna Baker on Friday October 4 2013 at 19:44
Lisa, i applied for new bins a while ago being a family of 6. They asked me to send in medical cards or birth certificates as proof! I didn't wanna send any in incase they got lost so still have small bins. I thought they would know who is in my property either thru voting or council tax or housing benefit, why should i send personal documents in?

Reply Posted by Jonny C on Friday October 4 2013 at 21:07
It says it hasn't been approved by the cabinet yet? Let's hope they read these messages before it's passed then!

Reply Posted by carol on Friday October 4 2013 at 21:17
My brown and green bins are always full need emptying more often

Reply Posted by lisa on Saturday October 5 2013 at 12:51
You're right Lorna,I wouldn't send anything either.This should have been sorted years ago.I like it that when you phone them nothing gets sorted but U miss a council tax payment or pay one a bit late and you've got a summons on yer doorstep! I'm still waiting for a grit bin I asked for 3 year ago.

Reply Posted by M on Saturday October 5 2013 at 13:50
We are a family of 5 and once a month for brown bins is ridiculous - and yes (before everyone jumps on me), once my brown bin is full which is usually after a week I do take excess to the local recyling point, but I'll be damned if I'm gonna do it 3 weeks out of 4 - I thought some of my council tax went towards waste disposal, so I look forward to a reduction in my council tax bill next year (as if!).

Reply Posted by Anon on Saturday October 5 2013 at 14:56
How are old people supposed to carry these new bags out onto the street when it's full with a daily paper, independent, chronicle, weekly magazines, old catalogues and junk mail. Hardly gonna be easy dragging that, even I would struggle at 23!! And where to keep these hessian type bags? They 'll get wet through in the rain. Like we haven't enough bins as it is?? Absolutely ridiculous this new scheme. Good stuff Barnsley council, brains of Britain strike again.

Reply Posted by kay on Saturday October 5 2013 at 19:00
i have to agree with everyone on the grey bin and the brown bin.as a family of 3 these are both bulging by the 2 week collection.my paper goes in a morrisons bag every 2 weeks,our household was never offered the blue bin.as for the green cardboard/garden waste bin.i don't have a garden as i live in a terrace so it never bothers me the council stopping this collection in the winter but cardboard can fill my bin up within 3 weeks,so i always put this bin out whether it is full or not

Reply Posted by Hannah Wassell on Sunday October 6 2013 at 18:29
My recycle bins never get collected anyway

Reply Posted by Howard Johnson on Sunday October 6 2013 at 18:41
This has to be a wind up by the council. Is it April 1st. All Barnsley, you know what to do come next council elections. But you won't, as always you'll vote them back in!!!!

Reply Posted by Sharon on Sunday October 6 2013 at 19:10
Unfortunately there is less than 1 percent of the council tax we pay goe's to the cleansing department, this has resulted to Barnsley cleansing dept being 2.6 million pound in debt, to try and pull some of this money back, they are not only having to change the system of wheeley bin collections, they are also making redundancies, so no matter how many people moan about too much cardboard, maggots and grass cuttings, start thinking about garden fires, using black sacks and start a compost heap cos things wont change, has they dont have the money
Perhaps we should look at where the majority of our council tax bill goes and get them to contribute in emptying the bins !!!!

Reply Posted by mary on Sunday October 6 2013 at 19:46
The idiot who thinks washing your bin out prevents creepy crawlers......WRONG....that would only work if you wash it and don't use it. Our bin has a new bin liner every time and you have never seen so many creepy crawlers. Maybe the council should separate them and open a bait shop ......derrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr

Reply Posted by mary on Sunday October 6 2013 at 19:50
Oh and I forgot to say some kids/teenagers think its fun to kick bins over not to mention this hessia bag. We can't phone the police because there aren't many of those either, whats the point in paying council tax for services, may as well keep it for fines.

Reply Posted by Sarah on Sunday October 6 2013 at 19:51
Not bags again please,they will just blow away.

Reply Posted by Swifty on Sunday October 6 2013 at 20:01
This post needs passing to the Council Town Hall and Calamity Miller and co.

He should be award the OBE....... Out Before Easter.

Reply Posted by rots on Monday October 7 2013 at 10:41
With five of us in our family I can barley cope with the fortnightly collection of our brown bin I crush the cans and plastic bottle but still it almost overflows.So going to a four week cycle I will have to put overflow into the grey bins

Reply Posted by shaggy on Monday October 7 2013 at 12:50
am just gunna burn everything in next doors garden from nar on, plastics, tins iverything.
They not boved either as theres shitty nappies all or the dirty gets.

Reply Posted by Darren on Monday October 7 2013 at 15:37
Unless they're going to give us a bigger brown bin, then the bottles and tins will end up in the grey non-recycle bin.
I already crush the tins and squash down the milk cartons and can sometimes struggle to get the lid closed with fortnightly collections.

Reply Posted by Dan on Thursday October 10 2013 at 18:21
How can we find out how much they make out of our waste whatever its never enough for them

Reply Posted by kevin on Thursday October 10 2013 at 21:25
I've read through most comments and I might have missed a point. blue was for papers; have 'our brains of Barnsley' worked out weight? monthly paper collection? a bag are you joking!! our sunday paper weighs a kilo! + daily papers x 4 weeks!! what size of 'hessian bag' is that going to be and who the heck is going to lift it! perhaps the health and safety executive could be involved and waste a bit more money; in these austerity times. leave it alone.

Reply Posted by az on Tuesday October 22 2013 at 21:04
well said did you no bmbc have just set on a consultant at 12,000 pound per month!!! cuts what cuts ey

Reply Posted by Rachel on Thursday December 5 2013 at 09:15
I totally agree. It used to take us about a month the fill the blue bin with paper and if they had left the bins alone and just changed the schedule we would have been fine. Our paper bag is only half full so far, but it is already heavy. I am waiting for all the claims for the bin men. I'm slightly relieved however that our bag collection was not today as most of the bags would have probably blown away.

Reply Posted by az on Tuesday October 22 2013 at 21:02
do us a favour miller!!!!!!!!!! save the lads jobs your cutting pal an sort the big wages men out ie DAVE FINNIGAN INSTEAD of changing something that isnt broke!

Reply Posted by Alcina on Monday October 28 2013 at 17:16
My brown bin is full every week. If you switch to monthly collections of tins/glass/plastic bottles, about 50 per cent of my brown bin recyclables will go to landfill in future, as I will have to put them in the grey bin to get rid of them. And ours is only a two-person household!!! There must be others who will send a lot more to landfill than us!

Reply Posted by Rachel on Thursday December 5 2013 at 09:17
Slightly confused here. The project is going to save us £250,000 a year, but as cost £230,000 to implement, so it saved us £20,000. You could you saved that by not hiring a consultant.

Reply Posted by Hazeus H Kristé on Friday December 6 2013 at 12:52
Saves £20K in first year, then £250K each year thereafter

Reply Posted by red on Monday December 16 2013 at 17:59
Recycling earns them money don't be fooled, why you think other countrys pay for people to recycled....

Reply Posted by amber on Wednesday December 18 2013 at 06:49
I thought it would help last Christmas to rip up all the card packaging from the kids prezzies. This minimised the space in my card bin so much so that I did this for a while until my bin was about 2 thirds full. The council would not empty it! They said it was too heavy! Try to help then it takes weeks to catch up. Where do we draw a line?

Reply Posted by Carl on Monday December 23 2013 at 19:41
What a joke. Do u really think all the paper from Christmas will fit in that stupid little bag???? And that the bottle bin will last 4 weeks??? I think everyone should bag everything up and drop it outside Roy's house let him deal with seen as he's an expert in rubbish

Reply Posted by Pretty much all of Birdwell on Friday January 3 2014 at 15:05
Brown bin once a month?! Looks like the dumpit are going to be getting a few more visits. Everything these days comes packaged in plastic, can and glass. Landfills are going to rocket in size due to this stupid new setup.

Reply Posted by Lorna on Friday January 3 2014 at 23:46
Pathetic. The brown bin needs to be emptied weekly. I haven't put my blue bin out in months and it's only a third full. The grey and green one we can cope with fortnightly. Well done to the numpty that thought this one up.

Reply Posted by Elizabeth on Sunday January 12 2014 at 21:08
It's going to cost the council a lot to supply people with bigger brown and blue bins. I wonder if you do get a bigger blue bin can you keep the smaller one or do the council confiscate it as a money saving scheme. Also we wash out our bins with hot soapy water EVERYTIME they get emptied every two weeks and they still end up growing something inside them and smelling like brewery even though we don't drink that much.

Reply Posted by Teri on Tuesday January 14 2014 at 13:32
So now the bin that I had for cardboard (green) is now only to be used for garden waste and I have to now get ANOTHER bin just for cardboard!? How big Dya think my garden is, it looks like a dive round the back of our houses, wheelie bins everywhere!

Reply Posted by Bin&BagLady on Friday January 17 2014 at 11:01
Congratulations Barnsley Council for Consistency in Not Getting it Right.Not only do I not have space for all the bins/bags now - but I wonder how I can meet the super complex collection routines/dates (I think I will just put everything out everytime really - just to be on the safe side)...Plus the bag supplied for collecting paper doesnt allow the standard A4 size to lay flat...How about redesigning the bag at least and providing a messaging/email reminder as to which wasteis being collected the next day - go on do it - help us instead of hindering us for once!

Reply Posted by Alsbo on Monday March 10 2014 at 15:00
Stop Moaning you will vote these amateurs in next election

Reply Posted by cin dee on Thursday March 13 2014 at 08:45
This is so ridiculous !! They dont have a clue! My brown bin is overflowing every week ! Empty once a month..., that must be a joke. That's forcing people to not actually recycle because they cant wait. I dont ever have the extra room in my grey bins anyways. That stupid flimsy paper bag will get stolen the same day I leave it out the same as my other bins do while IM at work and the scuzzy bin theiving non recyclers ARNT. Ive had to order new bins 2ce now because dirtbags steal them fron off my property. The council NEVER empties them properly if they even bother to come that day, leave it in middle of street about 5 doors up tipped over, like is this a joke? So am I just paying my council tax 1 in every four weeks then ??? Grey bin, brown bin need doing every week or 2 !!! Cant we just have option of which 2 bins we xan leave out every week to make sure they arnt overflowing on our drives and stinking? Something needs to change. People will end up chucking their rubbish all over just to get it off their properties. What a stupid idea barnsley !!!

Reply Posted by dedatodd on Thursday March 13 2014 at 09:09
Ring up and order a larger brown bin, just done it myself

Reply Posted by dedatodd on Thursday March 13 2014 at 09:03
Well they failed to pick up last week, and a day late this week for the Grey Bins. They have also told me on the phone last week that I have received details of new collections and also had the new paper recycling bag delivered - I haven't received any of this and asked that they send them out ASAP. I have now received the details on collections but not the hessian bag for the paper.
In all honesty this 'grinds my gears' as I am great believer and supporter of the recycling scheme (going back to the rabbit ings collections) and feel let down, I will now probably have to wait for new larger blue and brown bins!

Reply Posted by andrew on Monday March 24 2014 at 13:41
Well here we are again the Council implement a new system without first checking that customers would have the bins required for the new collection system. What a surprise they have now run out of Blue bins at smithies Barnsley. I now have a Green bin full of cardboard and I will need a bigger brown because they will only collect once a month. If I run a business like that it would have gone bust. But of cause its Paid by tax payers and can run like a circus.

Reply Posted by mr b on Thursday April 3 2014 at 15:58
absolute poor management, impliment a scheme whereas the council reckon it is costing them,when in reality clean cardboard per tonne is worth alot more than mixed composting, fail to deliver replacement bins on time, repeatedly fob off customers (which is what we basically are wether we like it or not) and go round refusing to empty bins when it's their mistake that the waste is not segregated correctly as they fail to supply services that they demand, then also to add injury to insult repeatedly turn up 2-4 days late to collect waste when we get lambasted for failing to place bins "out on time"
absolute bunch of jokers!!!!!!!!

Reply Posted by Jo on Wednesday June 18 2014 at 10:45
Same old story it would seem.....work damned hard to be paying our Taxes, and the service we get for our hard earned money is GARBAGE! All these unsightly bins that....by the time they finally get around to emptying are overflowing and littering our streets and stink to high heaven!!! Pffffft! Do the public opinions ever count? We are living in tip! Needs sorting!! Grrrrrrrrrrt!

Reply Posted by Danny on Thursday June 19 2014 at 05:58
It's a joke way it's run, forget council tax there st on thi back, forget thi bin, so what, cum when they reasy

Reply Posted by maria on Thursday June 19 2014 at 08:39
I phoned up when i got the letter to apply for the bigger brown bin and bigger blue bin i have been waiting ages so phoned them up to see where my bins were to be told i had been knocked off the list because it had been that long so my advise is keep getting on their back over bins in still waiting for mine been about 6 months now ridiculous they need to get a better system going how do they expect you to recycle if you haven't got the correct bins

Reply Posted by Arlene on Tuesday January 19 2016 at 22:52
I fill my brown bin very quickly so I would estimate that 2 weeks of recycle materials will have to go in the grey bin. As for less paper being recycled - mine goes in the grey bin. My bag disapperared one windy day, I asked for a new one and after a year still haven't had one. Put it out in a carrier bag, that got blown about and one week it was left, presumably because it was a plastic carrier bag, so now I don't bother.

Reply Posted by joan beazant on Sunday April 24 2016 at 19:41
Do pensioners have to pay for recycling bins , and can we collect them, I think if people have to pay it will encourage not recyling and even some people to fly tip, we have had our blue bin stolen, and as pensioners we cannot afford to keep replacing them , I think councils need to address this issue , j beazant

Reply Posted by dave on Sunday May 8 2016 at 19:39
The council has decided that Barnsley residents can no longer pick bins up free of charge from the depot , they will have to pay £20 to have them delivered. They say this is because of health & safety.
They are full of rubbish ( excuse the pun ). You did not have to enter the depot to pick up a new bin unless you wanted a grey one & these could be made available from the gatehouse.
How can they ask you for £20 for something that they want you to leave next to the road where it can be stolen. They must be mad. If they want us to pay for the bins then the bin men should have to get it off your property then return it so it would be safe.
Would you leave anything on the pavement worth £20 & expect it to still be there the next day.