Ex-Soldier Swaps Rifle For Sponge In New Venture

Monday September 30 2013

AN EX-SOLDIER who spent seven months fighting on the frontline in Afghanistan has swapped his rifle for a sponge after setting up a car wash business.

James Millard, of Longley Ings, Oxspring, left the forces last year after serving a four-year stint with the Yorkshire Regiment.

He spent time working in London before setting up a mobile car cleaning service, 24hWash, which has now found a permanent home on the old South Yorkshire Improvements site, Hoyle Mill Lane, Thurlstone.

James, 24, who is originally from Sheffield, said work has been non-stop since he opened on September 20.

"I needed to get out and do something for myself," he said. "I think that's more rewarding than always working for other people.

"The army teaches you discipline, commitment, hard work and long hours. I enjoyed it but I don't miss it and I wouldn't go back."

James initially looked to establish the business in Thurgoland but eventually settled on Thurlstone after his girlfriend spotted the site on her drive to work in Manchester.

He has already appointed an assistant, Will Waddle, and is looking to employ another person to help ease his workload.

Reply Posted by Charles on Monday September 30 2013 at 22:38
Well done lad. I hope you make a success of the business.

Reply Posted by Jimmy on Tuesday October 1 2013 at 12:16
When his rents are raised, his small business is hammered by the government and he has to sign on will you be calling him scrounging scum Charles? I bet you would. Let's hope that doesn't happen and he makes a success of it.

Reply Posted by jason on Tuesday October 1 2013 at 11:10
Well done lad gis a job

Reply Posted by Jimmy on Tuesday October 1 2013 at 11:53
Everyone should go to this fella instead of all the Romanians around town. This bloke has served our country, they have not.

Reply Posted by ray on Tuesday October 1 2013 at 18:38
i agree with jimmy good luck to him and get yer car done there.

Reply Posted by Gazza on Tuesday October 1 2013 at 12:41
A bit far out for me to travel but if he was nearer I would pass all other car washes to use this lad..... well done m8 n also proud of u for what u did for your country and us

Reply Posted by vicky on Tuesday October 1 2013 at 13:05
i'll use this and refer all my friends, we should all support this guy like he's supported our country well done lad x

Reply Posted by Swifty on Tuesday October 1 2013 at 17:23
Credit to you. All the best for the future.

Reply Posted by shaggy on Tuesday October 1 2013 at 19:39
Nice one young un, great to see you aren't afraid to roll up your sleeves and do some hard graft.

Good look with your new business and all the best from uncle shag.

Reply Posted by James Millard on Wednesday October 2 2013 at 15:20
Thanks for all the support folks! Means a lot like! www.24hwash.com

Reply Posted by hayley on Wednesday October 2 2013 at 23:00
Good on ya mate!! all the best and hope it all goes well for you :)

Reply Posted by Justin on Thursday October 3 2013 at 01:19
Come on guys,let's all support this guy and give him some business,this lad has put his life on the line for us like so many before him.Its the least we can do.
Oh and they did my car today and did a great job.Thanks James see u again soon.

Reply Posted by Liam on Wednesday October 9 2013 at 13:55
I have seen him start from absolutely nothing after Afghanistan and to see how far he has come and the dedication he has put in to this business to every last detail on the car, it's not just a car wash it's like a work of art when he valets your car! Definitely should give him a go and show support to local businesses like 24h wash.