Three-Job Dad Up For Hard Worker Award

Wednesday October 2 2013

A HARD-WORKING Barnsley man has beaten off more than 3,000 people to land a place as one of the eight finalists in the UK Worker of the Year competition.

Dean Gerstel, 42, of Gill Street, Hoyland, is the owner of DMG Roofing and Property Repairs. He entered the national competition but never believed he'd make it through as a finalist.

It's searching for workers who exemplify what doing a good job is all about. They want the winning candidate to be truly proud of what they do and being a member of a workforce no matter what role or position they're in.

"I still can't believe I'm in the final," said Dean. "I didn’t believe I would even be considered, so to get this far is a huge surprise."

Dean juggles three jobs. Monday to Wednesday sees him as a stay-at-home dad caring for his two boys. During the time between the school drop off and pick up, he fits in any smaller roof jobs his business brings - as well as household duties.

On Thursday and Friday, his wife takes over the care of their children and leaves Dean to take care of larger roof jobs.

If that wasn't enough, Dean also has a third job.

"I also leave home each weekday at 5am to drive to my other job as a cleaner working for a Yorkshire-based cleaning services contractor," added Dean.

"I have to ensure that I am home each day in time to allow my wife to make her commute to her place of work - a school in Sheffield - leaving myself to get the boys ready for school."

Dean will find out if he's the winner at an awards ceremony in Reading on October 18.

Reply Posted by Pessemist on Wednesday October 2 2013 at 18:30
Sorry but a stay at home dad is not a job. Children are not work. Hebis a roofer that picks HIS kids up from school 3 days a week. Most people do simlair.

Reply Posted by Purple Haze on Wednesday October 2 2013 at 23:17
I bet you are one of the breed of men/dads that have never changed a nappy, never stayed up with sick kids, never been to a school never mind a school run.
Any stay at home parent has more responsibility than many do at work plus they have to have loads of diffferent skills including, catering, patience, taxi driver and so on.
Please do not demean people who work very hard to look after their children.
After all many on here get paid for sitting on their backsides doing nothing very badly including childcare by the looks of it, so surely if they get paid stay at home parents should do too???

Reply Posted by carl watson on Wednesday October 2 2013 at 20:45
well done pal hope ya win sounds like ya deserve it top man

Reply Posted by Swifty on Wednesday October 2 2013 at 21:40
Well done matey. So we can beat the polls to the jobs. Uk worker of the Year Competitions

How on earth does that work.??????.

Reply Posted by hayley on Wednesday October 2 2013 at 22:57
Shut up Pessemist!!! he wasnt claiming a stay at home dad is a job! he was stating he does this aswell as 3 jobs!! muppet!!!

Reply Posted by Pessemist on Thursday October 3 2013 at 07:18
Actual if you re read the article it states he is a self employed roofer who has a cleaning job as well. Hardley superman. Yes I do have a kid. When he was younger I worked unsociable hours so I could look after through the day and then did a full time job at night. I changed more nappies than I care to count and have proberly been involved than most dad's. I now work 50+ hours a week to provide for him best I can and still come home and do all the things you do. I woild love shit down and watch Jezza all day.

Reply Posted by Little sprout on Thursday October 3 2013 at 11:07
What do you mean when you say 'I woild (sp) love shit down' For example, are you constipated?

Reply Posted by Little sprout on Sunday October 6 2013 at 22:27
A need a right good bab I do, better get back on the old sprouts.

Reply Posted by (sic) on Thursday October 3 2013 at 11:34
That must be the best typo ever seen on WAB, congratulations tee hee

Reply Posted by Pessemist on Thursday October 3 2013 at 21:16
Yes, you got me. A typo. How dare I :0
The point is till valid

Reply Posted by ...... on Thursday October 3 2013 at 22:26
Go an have a shit down pessemist

Reply Posted by Dawn on Saturday October 5 2013 at 19:16
Well done to Dean its comendable that you choose to help raise your kids as well as doing several jobs allowing your wife her own career Pessimist get a grip 50 hrs a week work bet u come home to have to do sod all matey

Reply Posted by mary on Saturday October 5 2013 at 19:32
I hope you are selected Dean, nevermind the negative replies they didn't enter so their busy jobs and lives don't count so they cannot moan really. No-one is saying others don't have busy lives.

Reply Posted by Steve on Saturday October 5 2013 at 20:21
Got to congratulate anyone who doesn't mind working hard and long hours, I wouldn't say Dean is particularly remarkable in this though as many people have more than one job. About seven years ago I had two jobs and worked seven days a week (between 60 and 90 hours) for almost three years - it was good in a sense that I was able to save up enough so I have a bit of security for a rainy day but I have to admit having two jobs and no real time off (except annual leave entitlement) did burn me out a little bit, I feel much better now I just work a normal 8-4 Monday to Friday.

Reply Posted by Steve on Saturday October 5 2013 at 21:07
Enough about me lets talk about me. I'm great aren't i?

Reply Posted by g on Saturday October 5 2013 at 23:32
beat 3000 dint think they were that many that worked in barnsley good luck to him but from what av read its welcome to real world

Reply Posted by Little sprout on Sunday October 6 2013 at 22:28
I have worked 900 hours this week and have been on here for the other 100 odd hours, I REALLY need a babba.

Reply Posted by Kerry on Monday October 7 2013 at 21:10
WELL DONE AND KIDS ARE WORK MORE SO WHEN YOU JUGGLE IT BETWEEN PARENTS TO WORK. Ingnore small minded ppl! Takes a lot to b a working parent all the more goes into your kids at home

Reply Posted by 187 on Tuesday October 8 2013 at 02:10
sowwi babbi a need a babba