Mummified Roman Remains Buried In Barnsley, Says Jo

Friday September 27 2013

Joann Fletcher Joann Fletcher

MUMMIFIED Roman remains were almost certainly buried in and around Barnsley almost 2,000 years ago.

Famed Barnsley-born Egyptologist Joann Fletcher says it's now obvious there was a much greater Roman presence in Barnsley than used to be believed.

Experience Barnsley's 'The Romans Are Coming' exhibition was curated by Jo and includes Roman pottery, jewellery, clothing and coins - including part of a huge haul found in Darfield and also a 300-400 AD mummy cast, which covered the embalmed, linen-wrapped body of a child.

Jo, 47, said: "There's evidence around Thurnscoe of burial pits and more work needs to be done. We’ve only just started looking to be honest, because until very recently who knew these existed?

"There's certainly evidence that there were a lot more Romans in our part of the world than used to be believed. Those Romans were embalming, mummifying and wrapping in linen their dead, according to Egyptian customs."

Jo, who presented a two-part BBC documentary Ancient Egypt: Life and Death In The Valley Of The Kings, also won a Royal Television Society Award for her part in the Channel 4 documentary Mummifying Alan: Egypt’s Last Secret.

Reply Posted by sid on Friday September 27 2013 at 13:56
Don't be silly rezziep. Watched her on telly loads of times. She's fantastic. I'm so jealous,I wanted to do her job when I was a youth. She,all have story's and tales to tell. She has really lived alive.

Reply Posted by anorak on Friday September 27 2013 at 14:02
Stop being disrespectful RezzieP. You scared of intelligent women or something?

Reply Posted by RezzieP on Friday September 27 2013 at 14:32
I didn't intend to be disrespectful, I just asked a question as I've never heard of the person before. Just because I'm not educated enough on the subject, it doesn't make me disrespectful. The fact I asked a simple question only shows if anything that I'm interested or indeed curious in something you're obviously much more learned about than I am. I apologise for my ignorance, you did however supply me with the answer I was looking for. Thank you for that.

Reply Posted by laddo on Tuesday October 1 2013 at 18:12
Hope in a few hundred years I don't get dug up lol but not to worry my millions won't be with me lol I'd like to know where this location in thurnscoe is though sounds interesting as I was born in that village. I do know of other locations where I think a team went digging up a farmer's field about 15 years ago between hickleton and Mar which I did some searching around old maps and found there was an old village located in the field which didn't match up to the plans I saw but none the less they must have had the plans so if they dig where their plans show then they must be right.

Reply Posted by Jules on Saturday October 5 2013 at 03:04
Driving back from work last Monday evening and deliberatley flicking from radio 1, I stumbled across this fabulous lady on radio 4. To a small minority of the nation also avoiding radio 1, she did the best selling job on the worth of a town I have ever heard. Up to date with the new museum, she took our history to a 2000 year history, forget the potatoes, Barnsley was part of the Roman empire, I'll go and dig for the coins,