Reds Return Empty Handed After Long Trip

Wednesday September 18 2013

David Flitcroft David Flitcroft

THE Reds returned from a long away trip empty handed last night after a 1-0 defeat to Bournemouth.

Barnsley had made a strong start with Chris O'Grady and Steven Dawson striking the same post in the first half.

However, a 78th-minute goal from Mark Pugh for the home side sealed the points and sent Barnsley to their fifth defeat in seven Championship matches.

"I told the players to give it everything and they have done," said David Flitcroft. "They put everything I asked of them into a football match and it wasn't good enough to get anything out of the game.

"Certainly in the first half I was delighted with the way we played and in the second half they got on top of us and we couldn't stop them at times.

"I can't ask anything more from that group of players - they work hard for each other and give it everything."

Next up for the Reds is a tough match against Watford on Saturday. What do you think to this season's performance so far? Are you still optimistic? Have your say below.

Reply Posted by bob on Wednesday September 18 2013 at 09:55
If We can't beat the likes of them afterr we gave everything its going to be a long painful season .. Get shut now and bring in somebody that has a clue

Reply Posted by andy on Wednesday September 18 2013 at 09:58
maybe its time to admit, we are not a championship team. every season its a big struggle. not a lot to look forward to. I cant see a light at the end of the tunnel

Reply Posted by david cooke on Wednesday September 18 2013 at 11:24
david flitcroft talks like keith hill lets get rid now we don't want every to be struggling all the time one year we might go down and be fore Christ mas its your team now flicka

Reply Posted by Kev Bray on Wednesday September 18 2013 at 12:57
Flitcroft has signed a load of players who are simply not good enough for championship football. His team selection and tactics are also questionable. There is insufficient interest/experience from the boardroom and senior management. How many matches has the owner or chairman attended this season? How much knowledge does Mansford have about football management and the industry generally? It's going to be a long season and one which will see us in the relegation zone again.

Reply Posted by Swifty on Wednesday September 18 2013 at 16:19
Andy is right as a Big Barnsley fan I too believe we are batting above our League. I can see what the Manager is doing but he does seem to be following past Mangers in his comments when the heats on.

It's his team and hopefully things will pick up and to be honest it has to. 4 points from 7 games.

Things should and have to only get better.

Reply Posted by Paul Reds Fan on Wednesday September 18 2013 at 16:29
I think its harsh to say we aren't a championship club, I think we just don't have a Championship team at the moment, we have a bigger fan base than the likes of Wigan and Middlesborough, the only think keeping people away is ticket prices. We have a Stadium that is better than Fulhams and Hulls and they are in the Premier League (except we desperately need a new score board). We don't seem to have ambitious managers anymore.

Reply Posted by steve on Wednesday September 18 2013 at 19:03
bob top post- are you for real really??? bournmouth have a bigger budget than us and have a better squad than us! they brought on a 2nhalf million pound striker last night so dont start givin it the if we cant beat ect ect ect..........you sound like a sheff wed fan!!

Reply Posted by ian on Wednesday September 18 2013 at 19:06
i cant belive what im reading on here u negative muppets!! ground better than hull and fulham?? hahahahah what a brain dead comment!! NO WE HAVENT

Reply Posted by King Eric on Thursday September 19 2013 at 09:30
Maybe not as good as Hull, but certainly better than Fulham. Having said that, the setting of Craven Cottage is wonderful, with extensive views over the river thames. Then again, if you look carefully from certain parts of oakwell you may just manage a glimpse of the river dearne.

Reply Posted by Paul Reds Fan on Thursday September 19 2013 at 12:08
When I said Hull I forgot they moved to the KC Stadium, I was still thinking of Boothferry Park cos that's the last place I went and it was a right dump, but I stand by Craven Cottage, For a Premier League Ground it is well under par.