Kids Spend Too Much Time In Front Of The TV, Says Dickie

Friday September 6 2013

Dickie Bird Dickie Bird

DICKIE Bird has blasted today's youngsters for spending too much time in front of television as he hopes to encourage more kids to get involved in sport.

The ex-Yorkshire batsman launched the Dickie Bird Foundation in 2004 and he said he has donated £60,000 of his own money to the project, including £20,000 from sales of his recently-released book, '80 Not Out'.

The foundation, whose patrons include Sir John Major and Sir Michael Parkinson, was set up to help underprivileged kids get involved in sport.

Bird, who lives at Staincross, handed out 29 grants last year to youngsters throughout Britain.

He said: "We have several meetings a year where we go through all the grants and see who we can help.

"In my opinion the kids of today spend too much time in front of the TV screen and playing computer games. We want to change that.

"Sport is important for kids - it helps them get physically active and it's good for their social skills.

"I obviously played cricket all my life and there's no better game for learning respect and building up lifelong friendships.

"We started by helping a young jockey from Grimethorpe, we donated money to Barnsley cricketer Azeem Rafiq, who is now playing for Yorkshire, and we've helped people from as far north as Scotland and as far south as Cornwall.

"We've covered a range of sports too, including table tennis, rugby, athletics, golf, ice-skating and football."

Dickie, who was also a promising footballer in his younger years, recalls the tough times he and his mate Tommy Taylor had when growing up in Barnsley.

Taylor went on to play for Manchester United and England before being tragically killed in the Munich air disaster in 1958.

Dickie said: "As the son of a coal miner, life was hard growing up in Barnsley. To get a pair of football boots or a decent cricket bat was a luxury. We made our own bats out of pieces of wood and we'd borrow each other's boots.

"One time Taylor couldn't play football as he didn't have proper boots, only his clogs. Both of our fathers worked at Monk Bretton Colliery.

"I remember those times and now I want to give something back. We give grants for equipment. Parents have to apply and tell us about their income and financial situation and then we go away and assess it.

"We hold a few fundraising events each year and I've donated some out of my own pocket. But when I see the smile on the kids' faces when we've helped them it's all worth it."

Reply Posted by Craig on Friday September 6 2013 at 17:15
Its a good thing they do with the mentality of kids today. can you imagine if they where all on the street corners harrasing and stabbing people. kids are an annoyance and so was i at that age.

Reply Posted by howzat on Friday September 6 2013 at 22:35
and you still are

Reply Posted by liam on Wednesday September 11 2013 at 13:11
Small minded idiot needs to look at the bigger picture. The problem doesn't lay with the kids its the society that they were brought in to

Reply Posted by Geoffrey stones. on Wednesday September 11 2013 at 14:34
I have three up and coming grandsons 11 9 and 5. Both older boys play for Barnsley b.t.d.c and south Yorkshire but find it hard to help fund all 3 boys with equipment and training can Dickie help us.

Reply Posted by swampy on Wednesday September 11 2013 at 16:09
eyup dickie, av still got one of them big tellys n ad luv one a them new thin uns, will tha buy mi one?

Reply Posted by sid on Sunday September 15 2013 at 15:45
Hey Lozzy,sorry about your little fella,and I'm sure dickies comments arn,t meant to be disrespectful. But I can't see why folk are getting the hump on with him. He's right as far as I see when I see lots of chubby little kids around. Plus,we all have brilliant memories of playing games as kids. In my view he,s said nothing wrong,he's fund raising and tipping up himself out of his own pockets! For gods sakes,what's not to admire about the guy. GOOD OLD DICKIE BIRD. Pity more folk don't use their status to do the same. I applaud him.

Reply Posted by TO SID on Sunday September 15 2013 at 20:09
Tight fisted dickie does not carry money hes like royalty.However hes the first in line when a [FREEBYS] event summat for nowt.

Reply Posted by sid on Monday September 16 2013 at 11:59
@TO SID, so what he dosn,t carry money? And what on earth has that to do with the fact that he is giving his time,name and often his money to a brilliant cause.
To be fair,none of us would refuse a freebie. Freebies are nice, and why not? Just hope you help out in any way,shape or form with something worthwhile.

Reply Posted by T on Friday September 20 2013 at 14:25
Heard Dickies a right tosser and thinks hes a King when he goes to restaurants and bars expecting it all for free. Just thought I'd add it in there.

Reply Posted by LOL on Friday September 20 2013 at 15:36
HE WOULD BE GOOD ON COWBOY BUILDERS WHERE THEY GO TO SHOPS AND DIY CENTRES BEGGING FOR STUFF FOR NOWT.

Reply Posted by lol on Thursday September 26 2013 at 13:17
its the freeby pensioner.