Burglars Should Face Jail, Says Crime Commissioner

Thursday September 5 2013

Shaun Wright Shaun Wright

SOUTH Yorkshire's Police and Crime Commissioner is calling for all burglars to face jail - after revealing his home had been broken into.

Shaun Wright said household burglaries are ‘traumatic’ and cause considerable ‘upset and grief’ to the victims.

He revealed that when his home was broken into in December 1994 money and jewellery were taken, but the loss of a camcorder with a film of his grandfather and baby son hit him most.

Mr Wright had filmed his elderly grandfather recalling old stories of his youth with the baby on his knee.

"They took money and jewellery but what could never be replaced is a camcorder and a film of my grandfather - who had dementia and was in his 80s - recalling stories from his life while my baby son was sat on his knee.

"A couple of months later my grandfather passed away."

Mr Wright described burglary as a ‘very serious crime’.

"Burglary is something that people should go to prison for. Sneak-ins are bad enough but when someone prises your window open and climbs through in the middle of the night it's a terrifying experience.

"People who do that should always go to prison."

Reply Posted by keith beattie on Thursday September 5 2013 at 10:08
would he call for them to be jailed ,if he was not broken in to.

Reply Posted by Dean on Thursday September 5 2013 at 10:57
totally agree with comment above hat a joke crime commissioner thinks burglars should go to jail well done Mr commissioner here have a big bonus

Reply Posted by Barnsley lass on Thursday September 5 2013 at 11:16
Well I do agree with sending them to prison as the system at moment is they get a lenient sentence & then commit further offences & it's a bit rich saying he's only bringing it in as he was burgled it was ages ago!! Bring on the tougher sentences!

Reply Posted by Charles on Thursday September 5 2013 at 11:42
Why can't we have stiffer penalties for all crimes?

Life is too easy for criminals and there are too many do-gooders in the criminal justice system. My vote will go to anyone who 'gets to grips' with crime and really punishes offenders.

Reply Posted by Stevo on Thursday September 5 2013 at 15:20
I agree Charles, far to many politically correct namby pamby idiotic doo gooders in this world!
If they do the crime then they should serve the time.
We all know what they'll get though, 100 hours community service cutting grass in the local graveyards.

I'd have them digging drainage ditches by HAND!

Reply Posted by sid on Thursday September 5 2013 at 16:44
Yes, minus the hands. Let them use the soggy bits.
The earlier post was right,if Mr.Wright hadn,t have been burgled would he be saying this.?
The laws gone too soft. It needs bringing up to date and the public should be given a say in future new laws and punishments. The judges etc dont live in our world so have no idea.

Reply Posted by Stevo on Thursday September 5 2013 at 17:56
The majority of judges are Tory voters born into privilege and have no idea how to judge "normal" people.

Just look at that idiotic judge a while ago who actually let a paedophile go free.
Totally out of touch!

Reply Posted by Charles on Thursday September 5 2013 at 18:02
Just remember Stevo, that most criminals appearing in court face magistrates and not a judge. Magistrates, like a Crown Court jury are intended to be a cross section of society. People judged by their fellow citizens

Reply Posted by sid on Thursday September 5 2013 at 18:13
Yes that's right. I know a couple of magistrates and they both seem quite strict and do believe in the law. There's something going wrong. The leniant and pathetic punishments are surely not what most people would give these thieves,so why are the magistrates letting us down. Its bad for everyone when these theives are allowed out to reoffend,and frustrating for the police who put in all the work to bring them to justice. Its not adding up in my head.

Reply Posted by fred on Thursday September 5 2013 at 18:26
If someone broke into my home, the only place they would be going is hospital - that is after I break both their arms & legs.... I have paid for everything in my property and nobody has any right to help themselves to it - I would make sure they never did it again

Reply Posted by sid on Thursday September 5 2013 at 18:35
Can't fault you Fred. We are being let down.

Reply Posted by mae brussel on Thursday September 5 2013 at 20:52
And i bet the police were straight out to his burglery unlike most people have to wait days. for a response.
I think most people will think hes taking the piss

Reply Posted by lee on Monday September 9 2013 at 14:06
southyorkshire police what a fookin joke you really are

Reply Posted by angry on Monday September 9 2013 at 14:45
My house was burgled a few years ago and took everything electrical I owned..tv,pc,camera etc..in 5 minutes everything had gone and all this took me years to build up because I didnt get paid enough to buy anything outright.
The idiots never got caught and I didnt feel safe any more..He is right. They should go to prison . I dare not go shopping any more just in case I get done again.

Reply Posted by nab on Monday September 9 2013 at 16:48
the police catch them the courts give them next to nothing send them to do a detox off their drug of choice for 28 days only do 14 then start all over again back to crime back to court another 28 days. they should get sent down for 5 years or when they av been drug free for 6 months

Reply Posted by Jack on Thursday September 12 2013 at 22:56
I was burgled 1st december 1998. My rottweiller got the burglars (2 of them) and both ended up in hospital with serious bite wounds. Police said as far as they were concerned, the dog didnt bite them hard enough. They got 3 years each and wont burgle my house again. Police took no action over my dog.

Reply Posted by Peter H on Friday September 13 2013 at 07:50
Pity you didn't have 4 dogs Jack, would have saved tax-payers a few grands worth of prison time

Reply Posted by Rog on Friday September 13 2013 at 07:16
New York cut crime by 70% by adopting three strikes and you're out. What stops us doing this, a Government reluctant to build new prisons, because Cameron will never be a victim...