Berneslai Homes' £91 Bill Sparks Disgust

Thursday September 5 2013

A BILL given out by Berneslai Homes sparked disgust.

Diane Brook, of Kingsway, Mapplewell, said the £91 charge at her daughter's home on Longsite Road for changing a plastic light was a 'total rip-off'.

Her daughter Joanne Brook, 37, lives in a two-bed semi and is a single parent paying full rent.

Mrs Brook claimed Joanne had originally asked Berneslai Homes how much the job would cost and was told it 'wouldn't be much'.

The day the electrician came, Joanne was working so Mrs Brook went to the house to let them in. Mrs Brook said: "It was a young woman and it took her all of five minutes to do. How can they justify charging this amount?"

The cost was £76 for the job and VAT on top, making a total of £91.20.

"It was a total rip-off," added Mrs Brook. "If my daughter had known beforehand what it was going to cost she would have got her own electrician in to do the job at a fraction of the price Berneslai Homes charged. I'm absolutely disgusted."

A spokesman from Berneslai Homes said: "The cost was made clear on the signed recharge form with the knowledge that the repair didn't have to be carried out by Berneslai Homes."

Reply Posted by Louise on Thursday September 5 2013 at 11:07
Stupid, same for me the garden. aparently they done a walk around of the street and noticed that my garden has weeds and some rubbish in it. We must have been doing the redecorating so had some bags in garden.
They said that i have to clear garden as part of my terms.
Cant afford a strimmer or to use one when grass wet.
But yet: residents on street are fly tipping and leaving large items on the street, kids are then picking them up and moving them down side of my house to an area where they play. Its always me that rings council to get them moved. Kids take off the drain cover and put stuff down drains. There has been sofas, filing cabinets, tv, drawers, tables etc. Fire hazards too.

Where we Berneslai homes then when this happens,

Reply Posted by picachu on Thursday September 5 2013 at 15:18
Get your garden cleaned up you scruff!

Reply Posted by AH AH on Tuesday September 17 2013 at 18:17
ASDA PRICE

Reply Posted by amazed on Thursday September 5 2013 at 11:24
how do the kids get sofas, filing cabinets TVs drawers and tables down a drain?

Reply Posted by mugsy on Thursday September 5 2013 at 11:30
That is a bloody rip off and Bernsai should be ashamed of themselves for charging that rate. Not clear whether its the just the lamp holder or ceiling rose as well that was changed but either way even with the ceiling rose most this should have been is £30 call out, £8 for parts and a few quid on top for labour - £45 tops. I am sure there are many Sparkys out there who would have done this for £30 all in, God its not Rocket Science.

Reply Posted by simon on Thursday September 5 2013 at 17:58
"bloody rip off" for the £91 charge yet your calculations adds up to £83!!! and your saying thats what it should be. ya cant really call £91 a rip off (even if it is) when your saying it should be £83

Reply Posted by Tracy Mitchell on Thursday September 5 2013 at 12:09
My husband is a fully qualified NICEIC insured electrician and to fit a light fitting like the one shown in the photo would have been around £40.00 !!

Reply Posted by Flapper on Friday September 6 2013 at 07:58
I would have done it for £150 and only 3 cups of tea.

Reply Posted by joanne brook on Thursday September 5 2013 at 14:10
robbing bleeeps is all ive 2 say , they never told me a price else i wudnt av had it done thats my argument wi them , its disgustin , i took ceiling rose down it just needed white light fitting putting back flat 2 ceiling ,took em 2 mins , i wont b ringing them again

Reply Posted by LOL on Saturday September 7 2013 at 13:20
DA CAN AFORD IT

Reply Posted by Alex on Thursday September 5 2013 at 16:56
The reason greedy Barnsley council do this is, they know they will get away with it because the people of Barnsley don't do enough complaining.

I hear all too often "If I complain they'll not do anything" Well it's time to stand up for yourself and start complaining.

I don't know the full story to this but I thought that if a light fitting was faulty, the council had an obligation to fit them free.

Reply Posted by Taff Jenx on Thursday September 5 2013 at 17:06
im a fullly quald sparkie and i would have done that for all in £30, dosent need a cert as its a like for like replacement, £91 !!! wish i could have the cheek to charge that and keeep a straight face or sleep at night,

Reply Posted by Taff Jenx on Thursday September 5 2013 at 17:09
just read that it wasnt even the whole lot!!!! even worse absolutly disgusting for just the lampholder packet of fags and a coffee

Reply Posted by how it should be! on Thursday September 5 2013 at 18:09
If you dont like it i Am sure Ben Bailey would be more than happy to sell you a place. B homes have been a free service for long enough. Its about time they toughened up, people need to be accountable and realise that b homes and the council aren't there to constantly bail people out and offer a free repair service. The fact that it was a re chargeable repair indicates it was down to tenant damage that info has amazingly been missed off the report. Always funny how that's happens.

Reply Posted by Taff Jenx on Thursday September 5 2013 at 18:16
you have to wander at £90 quid when at least 2 sparkies will do it for less than Half their cost!!!

Reply Posted by how it should be! on Thursday September 5 2013 at 18:29
Great spelling and grammar there. . . .
Lets put it into perspective. . . You need a repair completing in your none b homes house. You arrange for the work to be completed. You get the work done, you PAY! that's life welcome to the real world grow up and stop trying to defend something when all your going off is press spin.

Reply Posted by mae brussel on Thursday September 5 2013 at 20:46
When how it should be gets his head out of his ass. council houses belong to the council they are there property.
If light fittings like these dont cme under
there fixtures and fittings, i dont kno what does but for all you people touting business these light fittings can be bought for 3.99 and less . i have a cupboard full so instead of painting round them and it looks nicer.
Anyone can buy them cheap and if you dont know how to fit them.
Google it.
Its free and takes a few minutes

Reply Posted by LOL on Saturday September 7 2013 at 11:22
GIVE MAE BRUSSEL SPROUT A MARS BAR.

Reply Posted by Swifty on Thursday September 5 2013 at 22:06
Not the best supporter of BMBC. but everyone gets a Tennancy Agreement if you carnt follow it don't sign up to it. why should the rest of BMBC Council Tax payers pick up your bills on these issues. has for the Garden Bandits clean it up or ship out you are a disgrace to the community.

Reply Posted by Swifty on Thursday September 5 2013 at 22:08
As for the sparkies that say they can do it cheaper. Stop the bull shit you want £40 to get out of bed.

Reply Posted by joanne brook on Thursday September 5 2013 at 23:02
dunt want nobody 2 pay my bills arsehole ,i work a few jobs a day n pay my rent n council tax thanku , i took a rose light off ceiling which was in wen i moved in , ,white plastic bit was hung down wi abit ov plaster , took elecrition 2 minutes 2 fit it back 2 ceiling ,my argument is no 1 told me price ,if they had i wudnt av let them do it as its less than half the price wi a qaulified electriton ,read it reyt b4 ya start gobbin , n thanku evey1 else that no,s where am cumin from

Reply Posted by chris on Friday September 6 2013 at 06:38
Yes we know you work 78 different jobs a week JO, you constantly tells us on Facebook.

Don't waste your breath posting on here luv, they are all idiots.

Reply Posted by joanne brook on Thursday September 5 2013 at 23:06
and the best about it i didnt get a new 1 ,they stuck the old 1 back up so stick that in ya pipe n smoke it

Reply Posted by diane brook on Thursday September 5 2013 at 23:35
it was the previous tenant who made a mess with the ceiling rose , leaving a gaping hole round it. my daughter got in touch wi council only cos she thought electric and plumbing problems were the council responsibility. She knew she would av to pay, The argument is she wasn't told how much beforehand. She was told it wouldn't b much . The price that she's had to pay in my opinion is way too much for such a small job.

Reply Posted by joanne brook on Thursday September 5 2013 at 23:41
yes u tell em mam lol

Reply Posted by Ian Sunderland on Thursday September 5 2013 at 23:51
I like turtles

Reply Posted by Sammi on Friday September 6 2013 at 08:53
And I bet the sparky was sat in van for half an hour before and half an hour after that 5 minute job aswell- that's why BHomes have no money- the workforce are a skilled bunch of timewasters!!

Reply Posted by Barnsley Lad on Friday September 6 2013 at 11:07
Have just moved here from Rotherham Josh I though RMBC were bad but Barnsley is terrible have been here since March and have had a ream of paperwork for council tax, what a waste all I need to know is how much to pay. don't have any dealings with b-homes but the council are a nightmare to deal with!!! and seem to be suspicious of everything you deal with them about.

Reply Posted by Swifty on Friday September 6 2013 at 21:31
Joanne Brook I would just like to had to your comment referring to me as a "arsehole. firstly who,s the "arse hole " that get a price for a job doing to be told it "wouldn't be much" allows that job to be completed with out getting the price to be paid.

Secondly I'm not disputing you pay your rent and council tax. what does stick out is why don't you use the Bernsali Homes appeal service. you may get all your money back.

And the next time you need a estimate for. Job get two or three and then you will be quids in.

Reply Posted by boss on Saturday September 7 2013 at 10:59
I cant believe they put the old 1 back in lol

Reply Posted by adam on Saturday September 7 2013 at 11:22
Sparkys charging £40 to swap a light fitting is just as scandulous as BMBC. You can buy the fittings for £3 or less and only takes 5 mins to fit.

Reply Posted by Ian on Saturday September 7 2013 at 14:03
Call ROYSTONE ELECTRICAL next time, that job including a new pendant light fitment would have cost you £25 all in, you live and learn though!

Reply Posted by Swifty on Saturday September 7 2013 at 17:12
Flapper explain your self in a constructive way. I'm open to constructive criticism so lets here your educated response this time please.

Reply Posted by bones on Saturday September 7 2013 at 23:28
you can buy the light fitting from wilko's there about £1.50

Reply Posted by Swift on Sunday September 8 2013 at 22:44
Sorry about my grammar I feel electrocuted I've been eating current buns all day. WATT you ask end off I've done

Reply Posted by swifty on Monday September 9 2013 at 17:18
DI SPELT WATT WRONG [****]

Reply Posted by sparky on Sunday September 8 2013 at 22:57
Haha. They're shocking sparking you off and getting on your wires! If you see them when it gets light,sockit to em.!

Reply Posted by observer on Thursday September 12 2013 at 21:14
its a standard charge for any job done by bernaslai.

Reply Posted by Cheryl on Thursday September 12 2013 at 21:29
That's ridiculous , it's all money grabbing , private landlords have to make repairs as the house is owned by them, why should anyone pay a landlord to fix a house they don't own. Berneslai homes should be no different, never heard of berneslei homes charging before I'm sure it's in a tenants contract that a house should be maintained by the landlord! Unless you have purposely broken something. It will come down to people injuring themselves messing with electric and gas to fix things because they can't afford to pay for repairs!! This, bedroom tax, extra council tax are they going to start charging for having a room with a sofa in too soon !!!??

Reply Posted by clee1 on Thursday September 12 2013 at 21:38
end of the day,,,it was a absolutley high priced job and barnsley council need to review their policies,,,and another thing,,some of you need to grow up,,,,maybe some of you are not council house tenants,,,so you have no right to give joanne your silly comments,,some are good,,,but others are just taking the p---,,,dont comment on something you know nowt about,,,end of.

Reply Posted by Abitofcommon on Monday September 30 2013 at 19:24
If you have a job done by anyone in the construction industry, anyone with a bit of common sense would ask how much the job is going to cost regardless if someone says it wont cost much..unlucky

Reply Posted by LACH on Saturday December 7 2013 at 22:09
Came across this article looking for the Rent free dates of Berneslai Homes...
Less learned lass I suppose, that's why they expect us to get Home content insurance, council has no interest in fixing anything called them about their dodgy doors where doorhandles hanging of before I even moved in.. long story NOT.. no this isn't "our responsibility" same as walls ect, Yes private landlords actually cover a lot more regarding repairs as otherwise they get in trouble but B.H. is excluded from this in their tenancy agreement.We just don't listen initially, still that light of yours I think you should appeal.

I do most things myself if I don't know it I get knowledge through professionals/friends etc INTERDEPENDENCY in all matters ..especially if you are a lone parent like myself.
so got some wood glue and set of screws and fixed the door. and if you took that lamp down maybe you should had put a new fitting back on you saw where you took the wires out of...( just switch main switch board of first lol)