Long-Standing Councillor Steps Down

Wednesday September 4 2013

Cllr Kyte Cllr Kyte

A LONG-STANDING councillor has stepped down after 15 years of service.

Cllr Graham Kyte said it was his intention to resign rather than stand for re-election last year but because fellow ward councillor Tracey Cheetham was ill, he was asked to continue.

Now Tracey has recovered he has decided to resign and a by-election will be held on October 10 to find a replacement.

"There are some younger people in the local party who would like to offer themselves as councillors," said Cllr Kyte. "I would now like to hand over to a younger pair of hands."

He said there have been some minuses and some plusses during his time as councillor.

Highlights include the lifelong learning centre, improvements to homes on Midland Road, the Westmeads extra care facility, the new park pavilion and the restoration of Rabbit Ings, he said.

But the loss of Royston fire station, Oakwood care home and the building of the new supermarket off Midland Road have been negatives during his tenure.

"It has been a privilege to represent the people of Royston for the past 15 years and I'm very grateful to all those who have supported me at five successful elections," he added.

Reply Posted by Mick on Wednesday September 4 2013 at 17:51
Let's save the expense of replacing him & get rid of a councillor from each of the other wards to even things up. Slimmed down council services only earn a slimmed down number of councillors.

Reply Posted by Swifty on Wednesday September 4 2013 at 19:07
Mr Kyte has served is local people very well and a lot more than 15 years? He has been a honourable man and a old fashioned councillors that "Got things Done" unfortunately he too has to follow and bend to the muppets running the Town Hall and services.

Mick you have a valued point I for one would support your idea. One councillor for each area. lets all share the cuts" We Are all in this together" Hollocks

Reply Posted by guesty mcguest on Wednesday September 4 2013 at 21:00
Can royston look forward to another clueless sponging labour goon then like the majority of barnsley then?

Reply Posted by Fawkes on Wednesday September 4 2013 at 21:02
ill bet you all .The chosen one will have no interest in Royston . He or She will be a croney just wanting to get there snouts in the trough.I know 1st hand how bad Royston councillors are. One month holiday here one months holiday there all while so called holding down not one .TWO public posts. They get extra pay for holding down extra posts .But when you turn up to meeting there's always a note sending there apologies for there absence.Nothing they do changes this village.They represent no one !

Reply Posted by Guesty Mcguest on Wednesday September 4 2013 at 23:17
Tracey cheetham, is doing well also the helping out the south yorkshire crime commissioner, I think that pays 30 odd grand a year.

Conflict of interests not to mention time allocation. NOPE not according to the labour party - just keep dishing out the money

Reply Posted by Guesty Mcguest on Wednesday September 4 2013 at 23:21
Actually 45k but whose counting, as well as being governor for two schools, (which is unpaid) but how does she fit being a councillor into that schedule, oh wait...

Reply Posted by Mark on Thursday September 5 2013 at 11:35
I think you will find it is £45,000 per year, plus expenses.

Reply Posted by Mark on Wednesday September 4 2013 at 22:11
I wonder which brain-dead member of the Labour party will be nominated as their candidate.

Reply Posted by Swifty on Thursday September 5 2013 at 00:59
The people of Royston decide. Any one can stand grow some bollocks or shut up end off.

Reply Posted by Guesty Mcguest on Thursday September 5 2013 at 12:24
Oooh scary. End off what?

Reply Posted by x on Thursday September 5 2013 at 09:44
guesty mcguest and the rest of you shooting your mouth off stop moaning and stand for elections if you think you can do a better job.people like you lot make me sick quick to put the boot in but not prepared to do anything about it

Reply Posted by Guesty Mcguest on Thursday September 5 2013 at 12:22
X as much as I would like to I work too many hours and have kids so probably wouldn't be able give it the PROPER commitment, also I'm not from royston so don't have a feel for the area or know what the residents want. I'm also pretty young and would rather have some more life experience before I start telling others how I think they should live theirs and lastly with the reputation in this area of labour councillors I would not stand as a one of their candidates which kind of rules me out altogether anyway.

I'll moan all I want thank you ( it is my right as a voter) until I think our elected officials actually are worth their while. thanks for taking the time to write to me though.

Reply Posted by x on Thursday September 5 2013 at 12:56
your very welcome guesty lol

Reply Posted by Fawkes on Thursday September 5 2013 at 19:42
A dog can put himself up as a Labour candidate and get in. Once the chosen one gets nominated by one of his/her cronies ,the snouts already getting ready to dig in the trough. If people of Barnsley actually voted on policies rather than blindly putting the mark on Labour. We may one day get a councillor we deserve instead of the self serving cronies we get now.Who are just in it for themselves. End of rant.

Reply Posted by LOL on Monday September 23 2013 at 16:40