New Walk-In Centre Not Needed, Says NHS

Friday September 6 2013

A NEW walk-in health centre is not needed because there are enough GPs in Barnsley to cope with demand, NHS bosses claim. What do you think?

Mark Wilkinson, chief officer of NHS Barnsley Clinical Commissioning Group, said there were no plans to open a new GP walk-in centre to replace the one which was at Gateway Plaza.

The centre, for non-registered patients, was designed to allow people to get treatment for non-urgent medical problems and finally closed in November 2011, more than a year after the walk-in element of the unit was shut.

Mark said the number of people attending the accident and emergency department at Barnsley Hospital had not changed significantly over the past few years but there had been a growth in the number of poorly people attending the department with complex needs, and others who could have gone elsewhere.

He said services such as the NHS 111 service could be used when help was needed urgently, but not in an emergency.

He added: "We're also exploring a bigger role for local pharmacies, for example in the treatment of minor ailments."

Do you think the town needs a new walk-in centre? Have your say below.

Reply Posted by king louis on Friday September 6 2013 at 10:48
I would like to know whos name is at the top of the NHS when they make these stupid choices with buildings because many years ago i worked on developing a building at the bottom of Regent Street from a taxi company into The Smokers Rehab Centre. The council owned the building and yet the NHS foolishly spent almost £100K on a total refurbishment and then afterwards rented the property at grossly inflated prices. At the time we said "there's either some stupid, stupid people in charge or a shrewd scheme happening that may benefit a few"

Reply Posted by kirsty on Friday September 6 2013 at 12:43
Didn't gateway close because it was too popular?? Surely this shows we need a centre. A late night walk in centre to keep drunks away from a&e would be ideal... And works well in other places.

Reply Posted by Lesley on Friday September 6 2013 at 13:30
How stupid, the A&E department is always full of people with ailments and things that a GP could quite easily sort out but getting an appointment with a GP is very hard for some people so a walk in centre would be ideal. Trouble is the people in charge of sorting this out are bloody useless, they sit behind their desks doing hardly anything earning shit loads of money and going out for expensive meals all in the name of helping people have better NHS services. Maybe they should come into the real world and take a good look at what's happening in the NHS.

Reply Posted by Julie on Friday September 6 2013 at 22:19
Surely it would cut down the waiting times in A & E and take pressure off the staff by sending non-emergencies there instead

Reply Posted by russ on Saturday September 7 2013 at 10:40
you have to wait a week an half to see a GP its a load a bull we dont need a walk in

Reply Posted by Tony on Saturday September 7 2013 at 19:30
The introduction of these centres was a brilliant idea. Every town and city should have one. That would solve the A&E crises. They don't all need doctors, just experienced nursing staff who can treat and then, if necessary, refer to A&E if they need it.

Reply Posted by judi on Sunday September 8 2013 at 20:41
The walk in centre at Gateway Plaza was brilliant. Last time I needed an urgent GP appointment I was put off for 3 days because there were no GP appointments and because Gateway had been closed I had to go and see GP at walk in centre at Wakefield. How can they close a service because its too popular?

Reply Posted by gaz on Sunday September 8 2013 at 20:58
All the surrounding towns have a walk in. Rotherham, Wakefield, Sheffield (always full of foreigners and foreign students) and they shut the one in town because it was too popular. Read that as the budget wasn't sufficient. How is it fair that we receive a lesser service than surrounding towns? Answer that Mr Jarvis.

Also to stop abuse and health tourism adult patients should have to provide a valid NI number or pay an appropriate charge.

Reply Posted by Hoyland Red on Sunday September 8 2013 at 21:30
I believe the one in Rotherham is closing down shortly.

Reply Posted by Adele on Monday September 9 2013 at 09:39
The Gateway walk in centre was fab.

I remember when I was with my old GP and was starting with a chest infection (I'm asthmatic) that I tried to get an emergency appointment and was told there was no appointments for 4 days. I called the then NHS Direct who told me I needed to see a GP and to re-call them and tell them they had spoken and I needed to be seen that day. The GP still refused to see me "and if it gets worse just go to A&E" I ended up going to the Rotherham walk in clinic where I was diagnosed with a chest infection and put on antibiotics.

I know we have the out of hours services at the hospital (with long waiting times too) but they are exactly that - out of hours.The walk in clinics are fab for when you need to see a GP its not urgent enough for A&E and the GP cant get you seen for a week!

It was closed due to the "high demand" surely that says a lot!

Reply Posted by typical on Tuesday September 10 2013 at 11:58
We have national news telling us that there needs to be more options for the public so that they don't need to go to A&E and in the same week we have Barnsley telling us that we don't need other options and everyone can just go to A&E #backwards

Reply Posted by Swifty on Tuesday September 10 2013 at 22:20
I've been with my GP practice for many many years. I moved away 20 years ago. 6 miles away. Never Never had a home visit. However my doctor practice wants me to find a new GP near my home.

Outside the practice is a very very large Banner saying " New Patients Welcome"

By the way 7 days at least for an appointment

Perhaps there trying to make room for New Imigrants comming over in Jan 2014 and comming to live in the social housing and cheap Labour jobs concerned with Free Child Benifts and Working Tax Credits and school places.

Reply Posted by tracey on Friday September 13 2013 at 19:19
yes we do need one as you can never get a appointment at GP. It was very popular the one we had in barnsley. they dont know what they are talking about saying we dont need one.

Reply Posted by Wendy brettoner on Friday September 13 2013 at 21:33
Ya bloody jokimg we need it bad

Reply Posted by nikki sale on Friday September 13 2013 at 22:11
You could call the walk in center for the homeless because that need it more and when I was homeless no doctor would treat me for any sickness and have a hart make this walk in center for the homeless and help the homeless treat them when there sick please please make happen it would change there life's for thay would be thankful p.s dont do it for use do it for them help the homeless

Reply Posted by Swifty on Friday September 13 2013 at 23:05
I for one don't mind on this WAB forum stating I maybe wrong.After visiting my GP today they have a notice that says in July 2013 182 patients missed appointments and August the number was 118 I'm. Sure some of there's appointments missed are genuine etc.

However next time you can not get in your doctors for a appointment think again.

I do however stick with my original comments all these people not turning up for appointments and thousands of imigrants coming in January 2014.

Things can only get worse.

Reply Posted by philip callear on Thursday March 10 2016 at 03:29
Needs opening for people who can't get a appointment , to see a doctor . Am registered with , George street medical centre , wombwell , complete joke .