Thief Fails To Attend Court Hearing

Thursday September 5 2013

Barnsley Magistrates' Court Barnsley Magistrates' Court

A MAN convicted of stealing has been ordered to do 80 hours of unpaid work - after not attending his trial because it 'slipped his mind'.

Wayne Kershaw, 33, of Sheffield Road, Barnsley, claimed the chimney pot he stole was going to be thrown out.

Philip Howard, defending, said: "Mr Kershaw believed the chimney pot had been abandoned in the garden of a house. It was in a state of disarray, but the homeowner said it was part of an ornamental display and belonged to him."

Kershaw, who appeared in custody, admitted failing to attend court and breaching a conditional discharge.

He was ordered to pay £85 in costs, compensation of £50 and a £60 victim surcharge and freed from custody.

Reply Posted by rog on Thursday September 5 2013 at 18:22
So theft, breaching a conditional discharge, and failing to appear in court, gets an £85 fine..well that's go all the little thieving bastards quaking in their shoes...the justice system in this country is a joke....magistrates you need to get a grip. .this thief has got away with a bit more than I would a speeding fine...and we all now how these people fear community service....

Reply Posted by sid on Thursday September 5 2013 at 18:43
There are two vile creatures here Kershaw and Howard. I don't know how they sleep at night. Evil what folk will do and say for money.

Reply Posted by MrsOrton on Thursday September 5 2013 at 23:17
Er why is the defending solicitor vile and evil? He is just doing his job. The defendent has a right to representation.

Reply Posted by Keith Bailey on Thursday September 5 2013 at 23:20
Yes, Mrs Orton, but please answer the question, how does Mr Howard sleep at night?

Reply Posted by sid on Thursday September 5 2013 at 23:26
Because mrsorton,they guy stole from someone who had paid for something. I don't believe the guys story and neither do you I suspect. If he had thieved from you,would you be happy that Mr.howard had spoken FOR a thief and a liar. The defendant will not have paid for Mr.Howards services,you and I and the poor fella whose items were stolen will have paid. I could never stand in court and speak FORa thief at no cost. I stand by my post. He has no scruples.

Reply Posted by sid on Thursday September 5 2013 at 23:28
Surely the defendant should have no rights..he was wrong. He took someone else's belongings. Mr.howard sold his own sad soul.

Reply Posted by Barnsley Truth on Friday September 6 2013 at 04:02
What ridiculous comments from Sid. Everyone even the most guilty have a right to be represented , that is what our entire society is based on. I suspect Sid only put devicive comments like this to get the rise out of people, or he would prefer a form of Sharia law ?

Reply Posted by Barnsley Truth on Friday September 6 2013 at 04:02

Reply Posted by LOL on Friday September 6 2013 at 08:03
HE HAD NO BUS FARE MONEY LEAVE POOR LAD ALONE.

Reply Posted by sid on Friday September 6 2013 at 08:12
No,its worse than that LOL, he just couldn't be bothered. It stinks.

Reply Posted by sid on Friday September 6 2013 at 08:09
You can put what you like Barnsley truth,but when will their representatives stop helping them with their feeble excuses? If Mr.Howards belongings had been stolen,would he be happy if someone from his office represented that thief. The point is,the guy was wrong, I as a person could never stand and speak for a thief and its time the law sometimes accepted that excuses just will not wash. I feel to represent these folk I would be betraying my fellow man. In many cases yes there is be doubt and the case should be heard,but for gods sake the guy didn't even turn up and yet Mr howard still spoke in his favour. Its namby pamby and this thief is laughing his head off,whilst Mr.Howards laughing his way to the bank. Sorry but its what I feel. All this making excuses for petty crimes is making a laughing stock of the ordinary man in the street, the poor victim.

Reply Posted by Flapper on Friday September 6 2013 at 08:30
He was going to use the chimney pot to smoke his dope through. And what happened to finders-keepers.

Reply Posted by MrsOrton on Friday September 6 2013 at 09:26
I want to know when Sid is getting called to the Bar.

Reply Posted by sid on Friday September 6 2013 at 09:53
When you want me mrsorton,just holler.
In truth though,there has to be a deterant. Why fine some thief for his crime. You don't get it, they do it for a living!
You give him some money then,at least you will have given it as a gift,not had him just take it. Just ask yourself today at work,you earn enough to go shopping and then you go to your car and some scroats pinched it. Then to cap it all Mr.howard stand up and says,well,he thought it wasn't wanted...well,that's what he told me to say,but he hasn't,t turned up here,he's forgotten. What would you think of Mr.howard then? You would be fuming! Come on wake up and smell the coffee. Where would your do-gooder be? Ermm,speaking up for such as the thief here. Get a grip.

Reply Posted by sid on Friday September 6 2013 at 10:04
Would Mr howard accept the story if it was his stuff he stole? I doubt it,and what if the solicitor over the road took the case? Mr.howard would use all his knowledge of the law to get true justice,with no stupid excuses. I certainly couldn't sleep knowing I was helping to get these petty criminals off. You need to be a victim to have the burning anger about these things. Hope you have never and never will be. That's not being sarcastic, I mean it sincerely.

Reply Posted by Fawkes on Friday September 6 2013 at 10:24
Mr Haword probably knew Kershaw was lying ,and proceeded to carry on the lie in court .Did Haword once try to persuade Kershaw to tell the real truth.I suspect not.Therfore these defence solicitors who carry on a lie for a cliant should,if found guilty .Be disbarred from their profession.There are too many criminals and drug dealers spilling too much bull to the courts and getting off lightly.

Reply Posted by sid on Friday September 6 2013 at 11:46
Totally agree Fawkes. Wait till the shoplifters at grimethorpe asda get caught. Thee,all be every excuse under the sun put forward,the solicitors,all speak for them and then it makes me wonder why any off us bother paying. If people can't afford something,then save or do without. Surely that's not sharia law as someone posted. My god,its coming to something,when the people who uphold the law are speaking in favour of the lawbreakers. Its wrong.Knock the amounts paid to the solicitors way down and see what happens then. At worst,the lawbreakers would have to speak for themselves,and lo and behold they wouldn't,t be believed. Somehow having a solicitor speaking for them,gives their story some sort of warped credibility I,m afraid.as it stands now both the thief and the soloucitor are taking advantage of our free and easy laws. The police are playing cat and mouse with the same lawbreakers, and the lawbreakers are laughing,but the solicitors are making loads of money. I,m afraid it stinks.

Reply Posted by did on Friday September 6 2013 at 22:51
Take it you're eitherva thief or a thief's solicitor.

Reply Posted by MrsOrton on Saturday September 7 2013 at 15:41
I am sure Mr Howard has no problems sleeping at night.

Reply Posted by flapper on Saturday September 7 2013 at 16:15
Shame on him then
What you sticking up for him for? You not bin robbed yet?

Reply Posted by sid on Saturday September 7 2013 at 16:02
Bet he dosn,t.
Money worries wont keep him awake that's for sure.
He might have a lack consciousness though.

Reply Posted by nottony on Saturday September 7 2013 at 19:15
Mmmm semi-lierate language. Suppose the swearing not moronic.

Reply Posted by Locki on Wednesday September 11 2013 at 14:53
he can be classed as a plant pot for stealing a "plant pot" but everyones entitled to a solicitor guilty or not & there's always the defence & the prosecution, and the prosecution use the exactly same tactics to do the opposite wether guilty or not so don't diss Mr Howard for doing his job, you never know one day you may need him yourself.

Reply Posted by swampy on Wednesday September 11 2013 at 16:41
gerrall these thieving scratters art pickin dog shit up wi the bare hands tharrel stop em.
Av nivver worked a day in mi life and av just ed ta mooive to a two bedder cos a cant affoard bedrooim tax n am skint as f*ck but ad still nivver goer art thieving, a mite nivver ev ed a job but av still got mi pride.
A wa that skint last week a ed some gravy n three slices a bred, some a yor young ens dunt kno what poverty is.

Reply Posted by Miss.N on Monday September 16 2013 at 21:05
Sid et al, you clearly know NOTHING about law so just stop already. I hate it when people think they are experts on something they have zero knowledge about.

Reply Posted by sid on Monday September 16 2013 at 21:19
Ermm,Miss N.glad you're an expert. I have my opinion which I,m entitled to. Its strange that you havn,t commented on the actual article, but have just pointed out what you think is my lack of knowledge of the law. So you stop already. Oh! You never started.