Good News For Town's Economy

Tuesday September 3 2013

What do you think to the town centre? Have you noticed more people? What do you think to the town centre? Have you noticed more people?

THERE has been good news about Barnsley's economy - with reports new businesses are booming and retail sales are also on the up.

In the first six months of this year a record number of new companies were set up in the borough, according to figures released by Duport, which handles information about companies.

It reports 414 new companies were registered from January to June - more than any other half year in the history of the town.

The 15 per cent rise increase in the number of new companies compared to last year is double the UK average of just 6.4 per cent.

Managing director of Duport, Peter Valaitis, said: "The record number of company formations is an encouraging sign for the local economy of Barnsley.

"Like so many other towns, it has suffered during the recession - but more new companies opening up could help revitalise the business community and improve the visitor offering of the area."

At the same time retail sales are also improving, up by 1.1 per cent in July and by three per cent for the year.

George Elliott, from Barnsley and Rotherham Chamber of Commerce, said: "The retail sector has shown a consistent increase in sales during the past four months.

"Here in Barnsley we're blessed with an excellent retail offer mix and a dynamic town centre of excellent independents run by passionate hard working owners, proving daily that small can be profitable even in these challenging times.

"These figures are good news, although it's still early days and of course all retailers still need to keep abreast of new technologies and continue to invest in their employees development to ensure that when the projected sustained upturn occurs, they are in a strong position to take advantage of it.

"There are clear signs that we can be cautiously optimistic about our, and the nations hugely important retail sector, which employs a staggering one in nine of our working population."

Reply Posted by mrs g on Tuesday September 3 2013 at 16:13
how can he say were blessed with excellent retail its rubbish in barnsley for shopping there is no good clothes shops or anything an you are put off going into town with state that some people look and the town itself looks rundown

Reply Posted by sid on Tuesday September 3 2013 at 16:20
Your spot on mrs g

Reply Posted by rainbow on Tuesday September 3 2013 at 16:18
Sounds good news, but Iv'e yet to see any improvement, the town still looks empty by comparison to 10 years ago even on Saturday and Wednesday's market day.

Reply Posted by colwal on Tuesday September 3 2013 at 16:31
Just love the story with a picture off the continental market that has no local stall holders that people flock to and pay £3 for a Hot dog because they fly a big German Flag or the hand made jewellery that comes out off Manchester. Local people dont support their local market (fact) thats there day in and day out then wonder when stall holders cant pay their bills so have to give up their stalls then moan they have no shops stop moaning your to blame when they where there you didnt use them if you did we would still be there its so simple. Then when the supermarkets have a monopoly the question will be how has this happened.

Reply Posted by Guesty Mcguest on Wednesday September 4 2013 at 13:58
When you hit the bottom, the only way you can go is up.

Large retailers are pulling out of barnsley...

Reply Posted by Hoyland Red on Wednesday September 4 2013 at 15:51
.... and some are moving in. The nature of shopping is changing far greater than at any other time I can remember as the internet becomes more a 'first port of call' for goods traditionally bought on the high street. Most town and cities are suffering and I would expect that most shopping centres will be far smaller in 10 years time. If nothing else Barnsley need to capture these emerging internet companies such as ASOS and as much as some people don't like the company - they pay wages and business rates to local people and the local authority. Some people don't like change.

Reply Posted by Stevo on Wednesday September 4 2013 at 20:05
They pay crap wages via crap employment agencies and actively discriminate against local people by solely employing Eastern Europeans.

Employing solely Eastern Europeans on minimum wage is tantamount to modern day slavery and Racketeering.

Asos have also just announced massive profits, do you think that they will spread that wealth to their employees? the majority of which are on just above minimum wage and on zero hours contracts?

Not a chance in hell!

Hell will freeze over before I hand over any of my hard earned to Asos.

Reply Posted by Hoyland Red on Wednesday September 4 2013 at 20:30
So there are only East Europeans working at ASOS - really???? Regardless of that would you prefer ASOS to be based in Barnsley or say Newcastle?

Reply Posted by Stevo on Thursday September 5 2013 at 15:26
51% of Eastern European financial migrant workers @ Asos now HR.

Wouldn't you prefer that 51% of those jobs be for local people?

Reply Posted by Hoyland Red on Friday September 6 2013 at 12:31
I certainly would Stevo. I would be over the moon if there were enough jobs for everyone that lived in Barnsley regardless of where they originated from. So just to recap, stop exagerating when trying to make a point i.e. ASOS 'solely employing east europeans' as it makes you look a bit daft when you have to backtrack 2 posts further down.
Now answer the question posed my budding politician - ASOS in Barnsley, would you prefer that they based their distribution centre somewhere else and deny those people from Barnsley that actually do work there?
Just another question for clarity - Correct me if I'm wrong but you've been quoted as saying that the EU pays ASOS £1000 for each EU migrant they employ. Is this based on each contract signed such that they could employ someone for 3 months and then re-employ for a further 3 months etc and receive another £1000? and based on your % above that ASOS have received approx £600,000 from the EU already.

Reply Posted by stevo on Friday September 6 2013 at 13:01
So again I put it to you, wouldn't you rather have local people born and bred in this country to be the 51% percentage?
Yes or no?
Its not a hard question really is it?

Ok there may be a slight exaggeration with regard to the "solely" portion of my post,49% is now the percentage of UK born workers and our the workers which were born and bred in this country are now in a MINORITY.

I'd suggest you really ought to stop trying to catch me out, statistics is king whether you like it, or understand them or not.

Reply Posted by Hoyland Red on Friday September 6 2013 at 14:09
I really don't understand that second paragraph - but you do seem intent on not answering any of the questions that I asked, rather you just like to make stuff up as you've finally admitted to - so from now on anything you say is complete fabrication. You may quote statistics - but they're your statistics based on nothing. Answer the questions asked and I'll answer your question - not hard is it?

Reply Posted by stevo on Friday September 6 2013 at 15:09
Depends one ones interpretation of statistics my pedigree chum, i will try and explain statistics to you if you are intellectually capable of understanding them that is.
Are you sitting comfortably? Then I shall begin.....

1200+ employees, 678 of Eastern European origin

61% employed via employment agency (last months figure)

39% employed directly and on the books after agency qualifying / probationary period.

Need any more?

The question I originally asked you yet again:

Wouldn't you prefer that 51% of those jobs be for local people?

Reply Posted by Hoyland Red on Friday September 6 2013 at 15:39
Is it me or are you incapable of answering a question that's been to you? As I've put in my last post - you've already lost any credibility by making false statements and yet you continue - top notch!! Now my WAB nemisis answer the questions put to you and I'll answer your question - quid pro quo.

Reply Posted by Stevo on Friday September 6 2013 at 16:15
Did I not just answer your questions with the statistics I have provided?
Or are you intellectually incapable of reading and understanding the statistics that are put in front of you?

Reply Posted by Hoyland Red on Saturday September 7 2013 at 10:25
Errr no you didn't - it would appear I'll have to repeat the questions again as you seem to be unable to recognise what the questions are - so read carefully -
ASOS - Would you prefer them to be in Barnsley or elsewhere?
EU - Do they pay ASOS £1000 for each EU migrant they employ and can ASOS claim for each temporary contract of said migrant?
By the way my intellectual guru where do you get these statistics from - proof of evidence please, links etc - because you know you do have previous for your 'facts' being questionable to say the least.

Reply Posted by Stevo on Saturday September 7 2013 at 19:21
The first rule of politics is to answer a question with a question.
Surely even you "HR" with the intellectual capacity of an Amoeba should know this?
As for the stats TUC historical data and other "local" sources,,only available to TUC or people at the upper echelons of the union movement.
Basically people who are in the know only have access to this data.
And with me being in the know and you a mere fly in the ointment, would you like me to send you the statistics via email?

Anyway I would love to stop and chat shit with you but I have a plane to catch, yes i'm off again, tough at the top isn't it?

Reply Posted by Hoyland Red on Sunday September 8 2013 at 19:29
You sir, are Walter Mitty and I claim my prize.

Reply Posted by swampy on Tuesday September 10 2013 at 06:31
Eyup Hoyland Red whats this abart a prize an r do a get one on wab?

Reply Posted by Hoyland Red on Wednesday September 11 2013 at 15:58
Swampy, the task is to identify the biggest storyteller on here and the prize for identifying them, is to bask in your own glory for about 30 minutes on gas mark 5.

Reply Posted by swampy on Wednesday September 11 2013 at 16:57
av sin this kids pooasts afoor, It sarnds like he nose sum stuff but most on it sarnds crap,
Ad put oven on but gas ez just bin cut off cos a cant afford to pay it na cos am paying't bedrooim tax.
Av gorra flat tyre on mi motabiltiy scooiter anorl, r young en said ed fix it but av no doubt hel be set there wit hand art n a keep tellin him a ent na chuffin money.

Reply Posted by mae brussel on Thursday September 5 2013 at 00:14
Great stuff i can feel the unemplyment figures dropping like flies

Reply Posted by mae brussel on Thursday September 5 2013 at 00:27
But didnt the unemployment figures rocket. in the early part of the year and has barnsley council taken into consideration of the length of this summer in its figures. the last time was 1976.....
Wind in the willows

Reply Posted by rainbow on Thursday September 5 2013 at 08:56
Barnsley Market was ruined by BMB council when they built that concrete monstrosity on May Day Green the old open market. How can small stall holders compete with the likes of Morrisons and Tesco's with the councils ever increasing charges to their businesses. The council wanted to make money out of the market and ended up screwing it all up like everything else they've interfered with..

Reply Posted by sid on Thursday September 5 2013 at 15:55
I fear the days of the market are at and end you know. Inferior quality food (i was given bad fish and bruised apples) and yes the call of the supermarkets. Itsa real shame,but I want edible food,so I dont shop there now. There are exceptions,but I havn,t the time to call every where. Its just the way things are changing Im afraid.

Reply Posted by mae brussel on Thursday September 5 2013 at 21:08
Asos surely not the be all and end all to your coversations "are they stevo ".
My son works for asos my neighbours son works for asos and not through an agency .
they both enjoy there work but neither are lazy.
They have there gripes like any one of millions do about there job,but the have got a job. they get payed they go home and they dont belly ache about it anywhere near as much as you do.
AND You dont even work there

Reply Posted by stevo on Friday September 6 2013 at 15:20
Everyone has a bee in their bonnet about something Les, and if something is worth saying then I will say it.
Does it not concern you that there are nearly 700 jobs that have not gone to local people born and bred in our town?
Does it not bother you that Asos are making MILLIONS off the back of cheap Eastern European labour when we have one of the highest youth unemployment rates for a town of our size in the western world?
Does it not worry you that the our living standards and wages are driven down by unscrupulous companies and agencies only using cheap migrant labour?

Don't think I need say any more do I?

Reply Posted by mae brussel on Thursday September 5 2013 at 21:17
If you drive down every single side st in barnsley you will find 95% of shops are owned by asians. when you go for fish and chips. a curry. s pizza. a sweet & sour
they are all asian. nobody gives a shit so stop moanin about this foreigner has this or owns that. you dont waffle on everytime you go to the tap for a drink of cool fresh french yorkshire water .

Reply Posted by mae brussel on Saturday September 7 2013 at 01:30
You can quote as many statistics as you like. i for one dont give monkeys dick who owns what, as i have said earlier my boss is indian hes a good boss not arrogant like some mighty wightys are when theyve got a bob or two and there off to the golf course . 3 girlfriends i had years ago . one turkish one one polish and one german. as you can see i dont give a shit whos over me or under me. what ever colour.
But you wether you like it or not are raciist wether you want to believe it or not every friggin time its asos or some foreign country ownership does the fact that you never mention dyson taking his business abroad or stobart moving his company abroad and many hundreds of other companys that have started to employ foreign people in there own country. doesnt this piss you off. just as much.
For statistics that is all bullshit.
Statistics are created by bafoons who are bored out of there minds with no better things to do, with no fully conclusive evidence as to how they came to there conclusions.

Reply Posted by mae brussel on Saturday September 7 2013 at 01:48
Here are 2 pointers to the statistic case .
One in four people are gay. this was a newspaper. statistic.
How do they know that.
What about the people who havnt come out yet. even that is a completely wrong statistic.
The second did you know that most of the oldest people who ever lived." smoked " so is this a statistic that you may live longer if you smoke. who knows.
But heres the better statistics of cock ups
people are living longer today than ever before. yet more people smoke than they ever have. you can make any staistic you want work for how you want to suit.
Thats why polititions use statistitians and stevo. to puddle peoples heads

Reply Posted by mae brussel on Saturday September 7 2013 at 13:38
Hoyland red i wasnt answering your comment.
I was answering stevos.
But if you are on the statistic bandwagon
there are loads of links to oldest smokers
but these are just things you know
for one .
George burns 100.5 years he was one if the better known.
The 101 or 2 year old that still smoked. worked and ate a hearty greasy bacon. breakfast every morning and still does.
Most of the film stars who are either still living in there 90s 95 age group rock groups still banging them out. The 80+ year olds who still go into the shops
and i started smoking when i was 11 i am now 62 never go to doctors never been in hospital only when i worked there in 1967 by the time iwas 16 idtried every type of cigarette that you could buy
from the top of regent st

Reply Posted by BarnsleyFred on Sunday September 8 2013 at 15:06
DO WE HONESTLY BELIEVE THIS RUBBISH ? HONESTLY. LET ME TAKE YOU TO SHAMBLES STREET AND THEN TELL ME AGAIN... FOOLS.

Reply Posted by Cathy on Sunday September 8 2013 at 15:21
Have enjoyed reading the lively discussions on this topic.
In my humble opinion, game set and match to Hoyland Red and Mae Brussel on this one.

Reply Posted by Cathy on Tuesday September 10 2013 at 20:02
Its about time you people stopped bitching at each other too, join up with us in community @ the Life is For Living commune.
We practice free speech and free love and anyone regardless of age or orientation are most welcome.

Reply Posted by young sprout on Wednesday September 11 2013 at 16:16
So then, What is this commune. What do they do and how do I contact them?

Reply Posted by Cathy on Tuesday September 10 2013 at 20:05
That last post is from a different Cathy, not me, my last post was 8/9/13 at 15.21.

Reply Posted by young sprout on Wednesday September 11 2013 at 16:17
I've noticed that the original Cathy usually talks a bit of sense.

Reply Posted by Cathy on Wednesday September 11 2013 at 20:29
That last post is not from the original Cathy...................add all those numbers up then divide by 2 thats nearer my age!

Reply Posted by young sprout on Wednesday September 11 2013 at 22:30
I assume you are the original Cathy. The more sensible one.