Plenty Of Smiles As School Gets Best-Ever Results

Thursday August 29 2013

Shafton ALC Shafton ALC

THERE were plenty of smiles at Shafton ALC as the school celebrated its best-ever GCSE results.

This year 41 per cent of pupils achieved five A* to C grades - including maths and English - topping the government floor target of 40 per cent.

"Obviously we're really pleased with that," acting headteacher Lisa Allott said. "It's the first time the school has beaten the government benchmark. It's something we want to see and keep building on."

Lisa said she was particularly pleased with the school's progress in maths, with grades up by seven per cent.

Last year the school achieved its best results so far - with 38 per cent of pupils obtaining five A* to C grades.

Lisa said she was delighted with the continued improvement and this year a number of students had achieved a multitude of A* and A grades.

Reply Posted by frank on Thursday August 29 2013 at 15:03
It's about time the school had some good press. The staff are great and always give their best to the kids there. We'll done to all the pupils and the Staff too.

Reply Posted by Barnsley Truth on Thursday August 29 2013 at 16:23
Aim for the bottom and you'll no doubt get there

Reply Posted by Barry on Thursday August 29 2013 at 16:40
Total Joke this school. Failing teachers and Head Teacher, Children who have got their GCSE have done it through hard work and not with any help from their teacher, like my daughter has done. I have one left there and unless things change she will be home school. It is about time We Are Barnsley, stopped listening to the rubbish given out by this FAILING SCHOOL and started listening to the parents.

Reply Posted by Beep Beep on Thursday August 29 2013 at 17:30
The school should be ashamed as should the children and the parents of the kids who attend. 41% is a disgrace. So 6 out of 10 kids are failing big time. Sack the headteacher and replace all the teachers. Penistone Grammar got double that. How come? Are kids in Penistone twice as bright as those in Shafton?? No of course not. Shocking results.

Reply Posted by local lass on Thursday August 29 2013 at 18:37
I agree with Beep Beep and am not defending this school at all, but if kids want to learn they will. yes the school has been through some difficult times and the previous head clearly wasn't up to the role. but my daughter got good results because she has worked hard and knows that without this the rest of her life would be effected. A lot of the kids at this school don't care about results or qualifications because their parents don't place any value on them. Bad behaviour isn't the responsibility of the teachers - they just have to try and control these kids each lesson. Every school has good and bad kids just like good and bad staff but I think Parents need to look a bit closer to home if their kids arent achieving.

Reply Posted by Beep Beep on Thursday August 29 2013 at 21:09
I am pleased for your daughter but I despair about the parents in these areas. They are happy on benefits or low paid jobs and are bringing up lazy spoilt kids who have no understanding that without good educations they will be looking forward to nothing better than benefits or low paid jobs. Barnsley people need to grow up and push their kids.

Reply Posted by Barry on Thursday August 29 2013 at 22:09
Sorry it is nothing to do with the parents, it is purely the school, the headteacher and the total useless teachers there. My daughter has just pass her GCSE there, with NO help from the school or the teacher, but like a lot of other kids, 100% help from their parents. The quicker the school is bulldozed the better. The school is too interested in Academy Status and does not care what either the Parents or Children want. They have changed the uniform again, going against want the children and parents wanted. It is run like a prison camp and children feel like it is one. Is this really education in the 21st century.

Reply Posted by Truth on Friday August 30 2013 at 07:43
Barry it's everything to do with the parents, you can't say its nothing to do with them. Parents play a significant part in our kids growing up and learning. I agree some of the teachers in Shafton and the SMT team need to pull their socks up. Either come up to the mark or get rid. 41% is not a good result at all, Penistone finished on 80% The new school Horizon CC 63% they are good results. Well done to those 2 schools excellent results. Catchment areas are different I understand that but a 22% and 39% difference is huge. Parents and schools as well as the kids need to take some responsibility. Barnsley has finished 2nd from the bottom in the national GCSE average league tables, its about time we addressed the problems get rid of failing teachers including heads, heads of dept and senior management, some parents need to take more responsibility for their kids. Too many are happy to claim benefits, earn a bit on the side, buy their fags and cheap booze and blame the government because there are no jobs. For those few have you ever thought about getting some more qualifications or retraining instead of saying there's no jobs out there, this country's F....D
Step out of your comfort zones and do something that will make your lives and your kids a whole lot better.

Reply Posted by Annoyed on Friday August 30 2013 at 13:57
WELL SAID LOCAL LASS - Barry - Take your kid to another school if you don't like it. If totally useless parents like you spent more time working WITH schools and stopped arguing about every decision they make the whole system would work better. Instead you BLAME everything on the teachers. Tell you what - ask the teachers to ignore uniform issues, ignore every time a kid swore at them or kicked off, ignore every time they turned up late, ignore the fact they can afford mobile phones but don't take a pen to school or argue about the cost of the FREE school uniform, ignore the way they eat in the dining hall (like pigs), drop litter and EXPECT others to pick up after them, ignore the way they speak to adults. It starts at HOME, values learnt there and the ones that care and the ones that take pride do well. Why...in the paper the other day was a PRIORY lad off to Oxford SO BARRY - Shut up whining all the time about the school, home school them and see how far they get. For some, teachers are glorified babysitters because the kids REFUSE to do anything they say, for some they soak up everything the teachers say - because they have been brought up to respect teachers and the value of education. STOP Whinging and be part of the solution.

Reply Posted by Barry on Friday August 30 2013 at 16:07
Annoyed, why don't you shut up. I worked hard with the school as i was a governor at Priory School and worked on merging the school together, only to see all the hard work go down the pan, due to the poor work of the Head Teacher and the terrible teachers there. Look at the Ofsted report, are they blaming parents NO, they say POOR TEACHING. We have home school our oldest daughter, as the teachers at Shafton had given up and so she did hours of work at nights and weekend and YES she has managed to get the 5 C's she needed to get to College. The School will NOT listen to parents. So before you start judging people GET YOU FACTS RIGHT.

Reply Posted by Mark on Friday August 30 2013 at 16:34
I am not sure that a current or former school governor should be expressing those type of comments on a public forum like this. It certainly shows a lack of judgement and is most unprofessional.

Reply Posted by Barry on Friday August 30 2013 at 18:15
Mark, once you are no longer a school governor, you can say what you want, we do not sign the official secret act or anything. Perhap if more former school governors spoke out, then parents would know what is really wrong with schools in Barnsley. I give above 10 years of my life to Barnsley Schools and since i have left, both the school i was involved with are in Special Measures and both through poor teaching and lack of leadership from the Head. Now tell me Parents are to blame.

Reply Posted by Mark on Friday August 30 2013 at 18:33
I made no comment on parents, although I would have to say that it is my view that parents have a dramatic effect on the education of their children.

While I note that 'you did not sign the official secrets act' I nevertheless feel that it is unprofessional for an ex school governor to comment, like you have, on a public forum. There are clearly other channels open to you should you have any concern over the education of our children.

Reply Posted by Barry on Friday August 30 2013 at 19:32
Hi Mark, the comment regarding Parent was not aimed at you but other who have wrote post on here.

As a former School Governor, i have tried other channels but no one will listen to you either as a ex Governor or a parent. I had a wonderful time at a primary school, helping to run a gardening club and rising thousand of pounds of money to get stuff the council would not provide.

So you can understand my concern when both this and Shafton ALC have both gone into special measure, due to leadership and failed teachers.

Perhaps public forums is the only place left for me and my fellow ex Governors to speak out and so parent know what is going off in school. Remember the council statement "Every Child Matters", whatever happened to that?

It is also nice to see i am talking to a really person, not someone who hides behind a pen name on here, so we don't know who they are. But we know one teacher at Shafton ALC commented on Barnsley Chronicle site, is it right for them to comment on Public Forums, having a go at parents?

Reply Posted by Annoyed on Saturday August 31 2013 at 00:00
Well said Mark. I agree.

Reply Posted by Chris on Saturday August 31 2013 at 11:02
Just read the article. What a joke. Schools in my borough in London do better and in some sxhools around 90% of kids don't have English as a first language!

Reply Posted by Beep Beep on Saturday August 31 2013 at 11:30
I think that we all know why initially that schools in the areas such as the Dearne and Wombwell, Grimethorpe and basically all the schools to the east are failing and that is because many of the parents from those areas do not see the point to school. Most have poor educational backgrounds, work either not at all or in menial jobs. They do not push their kids because they were not pushed. There are of course always exceptions from the norm and things will improve as people move into the newly regenerated poor areas.
Meanwhile in Silkstone, Penistone and those areas, house prices being dearer mean that the people there have better paid jobs and better careers and often have had better educations themselves. They see the point to schools and exams and so instil that into their kids. The kids have better manners and so on.
There will be exceptions there too.
Then there is the point that a failing school usually only attracts newly qualified teachers or bad teachers or teachers who live in said areas. A good school gets applications from better teachers. Always has been the case.
We need more money spent on poor areas, newer housing and regeneration to bring better educated people with hard working ethos and values into these deprived areas.

Reply Posted by sid on Saturday August 31 2013 at 11:35
Tis a joke Chris,cos in London,after all the brilliant education,the kids can then move up to the crack houses you,ve mentioned.
You have educated zombies on crack. LOL.
Ok, its different here to London,we get the picture, but you do at times sound homesick.
Just saying matey

Reply Posted by sarah on Sunday September 1 2013 at 12:12
let me stop you right there Beep Beep i have always said over my dead body would any of my kids attend the dearne but from this wednesday 2 will be starting. I have removed them from what is supposed to be a good school in Barnsley to the dearne as i believe it has gone through a huge change. The new head has turned the school around got rid of failing teachers and changed the attitude of pupils and teachers. I have met a few of the teachers and believe they are much better than the ones in the good school. I have walked around the school during lesson times and seen calm well mannered young people polite to the adults, they didnt know I was going so it wasnt put on either. The so called good school I have removed them from has badly let down my eldest that has just left and will let down the remaining one I have there as well unless we as parents drill it into him he has to do his best despite what tools he has to work with. I suppose my point is it takes school and home to make a well rounded young adult and no one knows what happens behind closed doors unless you are there.