Parking Restrictions Planned On Bus Route

Friday August 23 2013

We Are Barnsley We Are Barnsley

NEW parking restrictions are being planned on a bus route to prevent inconsiderate drivers blocking the road.

Barnsley Council, the South Yorkshire Transport Executive (SYPTE) and bus operators are looking to introduce yellow lines in Grimethorpe around the junctions of Michael's Estate, Brierley Road and Meadow Crescent.

This is the route of the number 29 Stagecoach service.

Cllr Dave North said bus drivers find it difficult to get past parked cars and even have to mount the pavement, which subsequently damages it.

It also has a knock-on effect on bus timetables, according to the council.

Residents' association member Elsie Smith has lived on nearby Stacey Crescent for 15 years and said the problem has been going on for months. Some drivers have even got out of their bus to ask people to move.

She said leaflets have been posted through letter boxes to stop people parking on the junctions but to no avail.

The bus, which comes once an hour, is used for people wanting to get to the cemetery as well as getting into Barnsley.

Cllr North added: "What we don't want is to lose the service for the people who use it. If we don't have a bus service down there a lot of people won't be able to get to their destination."

Reply Posted by Stephen on Friday August 23 2013 at 15:24
The lines will do no good,the Police are never there when you need them,they want to come &check the lines at bottom of Neville Avenue at Kendray,cars,vans are always parked there,no one seems bothered

Reply Posted by Jamie on Friday August 23 2013 at 15:27
even when police do see people parked on yellow lines, they don't do anything, I've witnessed it.

Reply Posted by Pooks on Thursday August 29 2013 at 21:12
Do you not all know that the Police are not supposed to ticket for parking infringements anymore? Blame the council they are supposed to have traffic enforcement officers doing tickets.

Reply Posted by A Nonnie Mouse on Friday August 23 2013 at 16:53
There seems to be an ongoing dispute between the council and the police as to who is responsible for parking enforcement laws with neither wanting to take responsibility.
If people took ownership of the problem themselves when parking and also learned the highway code rules on parking that would be a start ie. do not park with 2 wheels on the pavement as this is an obstruction & it is illegal to drive on the pavement which you have to do to park there; do not park on the opposite side of the highway facing the wrong direction after dark; do not park within 10 metres of a road junction; do not park obstructing an entranceway; observe yellow lines and the rules for parking on these.
The police will actually tell you that parking on double yellows is almost allowed now as the council does not maintain them properly meaning that the yellow lines are not continuous and virtually unenforceable.
When was the last time you saw a traffic warden other than to check parking in the city centre car parks/parking meters.

Reply Posted by A Nonnie Mouse on Friday August 23 2013 at 16:55
Employ more traffic wardens and use the money raised from fining illegal paring to pay their wages. Therefore creating more jobs and keeping costs down for the council - in fact put the wardens on an incentive scheme for catching dozy parkers!!

Reply Posted by Common Sense on Friday August 23 2013 at 18:32
Having recently contacted the Council over a parking issue, I didnt get the impression of any dispute between them and Police. They told me that if there are waiting/loading restrictions in place, the council are responsible, and they can also do vehicles for parking on pedestrian dropped x-ings. However, if they are obstructing the driveway, or the footpath; (as was my case) it is obstruction and dealt with by the Police. The same for vehicles parked dangerously at junctions

And as the Police don't enforce waiting restrictions I wouldn't trust their judgement on if a line is or isn't enforceable.

Reply Posted by John on Sunday August 25 2013 at 00:46
Well if councillor north and his other cronies decide to read these comments there'll know there not doing a good job and for parking on pavement police could earn a fortune once a month ticketing cars on pavement that would sort problem prity fast it ppl in pocket and they act I do fell sorry for police with crime as they arrest courts release so wot would you do comments on we are Barnsley I know wot I'd do, there ain't any police left you seen any except in tarn we deserve more

Reply Posted by dd on Tuesday August 27 2013 at 08:25
i go to stevenage herts, to see my fiancee. no parking on verges, pavements or junctions, great. feel safe. no idiots driving up behind you on the pavement. maybe should be fetched in up here.

Reply Posted by rick on Tuesday August 27 2013 at 18:49
Stop whinging about the Police enforcing double yellow lines. They have no powers to enforce parking restriction their powers were removed when Labour de-criminalised parking and handed it over to the local councils and got rid of the Police employed Traffic Wardens. The only powers the police have is wilful obstruction.

Reply Posted by No on Tuesday August 27 2013 at 18:56
A police officer can only ask you to move off yellow lines he cant make you as it is the local council enforcements responsibility only if you are parked on zig zag white lines can a police officer fine a ticket you

Reply Posted by joanne arnold on Tuesday August 27 2013 at 20:23
I am one of the people that parks regularly on stacey crescent. I always check that I am parked properly before I go into the house of the person I am visiting. I can guarantee that 90% of the time when I come back out of the house some dozy twonk has parked opposite me thereby causing an obstruction. Maybe there could be another parking area created like the one a quarter of the way round Stacey crescent then things might be a little better.

Reply Posted by Unknown on Thursday August 29 2013 at 18:28
The parking round that area of grimethorpe is bad it's another accident waiting to happen between a bus and parked cars. I myself have used that route many of times when on the bus. Most cars park round there for the school and its a very tight squeeze for buses. I was involved in an accident round there 2 years ago while pregnant and I was on the bus. It was end I'd school day and the cars had made it hard for the bus to get round the corner of the street leaving the bus driver waiting 20mins to go round because he was knocking on doors for cars to be moved were told they belonged to parents picking kids up. As he attempted to go through he crashed into 2 cars because one was adamant to drive off at the same time he was manoeuvring through. It will only happen time and time again.