Rents Rise For Barnsley Allotment Holders After Huge Water Bill

Tuesday December 6 2011

allotments allotments

A RENT rise has been announced for allotment holders across Barnsley after it emerged the council faced a £38,000 water bill last year.

Plots with water supply will rise from £45 to £55 per year and plots without water will  rise from £30 to £33.

The council say it was forced to put up rents after being hit by the water bill - for which rents covered less than half of it.

A spokesman: "In a period where the council is under increasing pressure to make savings, it was felt that action needed to be taken to cut costs and increase charges to reduce the amount that the service is subsidised through council tax."

The increased charges will provide an extra £13,000 a year income for the council.

Barnsley's Allotment Plan has already seen work carried out to encourage locals to grow healthier food. Work including clearing vegetation, installing new access routes, new signage, security fencing and creating new plots has taken place at sites in Cudworth, Ardsley, Darton, Thurnscoe, Goldthorpe, Hoyland and Wombwell with more work scheduled for the plots in Royston and Keresforth.

Reply Posted by john on Tuesday December 6 2011 at 14:57
we have a private owned allotment off hunningley lane our rent is only £40 a year with water on

Reply Posted by Martin homer on Monday April 11 2016 at 10:00
Hi John are there any plots available or do you know of any other sites
Thanks
Martin

Reply Posted by Charleshemingway on Tuesday December 6 2011 at 16:47
I have an allotment on pinder street and the council do nothing for us, I have to barrow all my manure up the pathway as it is not wide enough to get a vehicle up

Reply Posted by Torchi on Thursday December 8 2011 at 16:03
i have a allotment on east st worsbrough dale and there want £56 pound this year it was only £27 last year thay can forget it ...

Reply Posted by Torchi on Thursday December 8 2011 at 16:03

Reply Posted by Peterbarker2006 on Sunday April 8 2012 at 06:56
hi john is they any allotments going there

Reply Posted by Gary on Saturday December 29 2012 at 09:54
Does anyone know of any allotments going in barnsley

Reply Posted by Becky on Friday April 5 2013 at 14:48
Hi, I'm looking to rent an allotment, council waiting list for Hoyland is 2 years. Does anyone know if there are any private rent one in Hoyland please?? Thanks

Reply Posted by lyndon on Thursday May 26 2016 at 19:06
I have a private allotment which has been returned and which I will be offerring to rent once more...If you wish to ring me to discuss its 01226 743311

Reply Posted by toni on Sunday May 5 2013 at 19:47
Allotment space available hoyland area....

Reply Posted by mark on Thursday June 27 2013 at 20:29
hi i'm looking to apply or an allotment off hunningley lane stairfoot...but can anyone tell me what plot or area it is classed as...as I can not see stairfoot on the council allotment list. thanks

Reply Posted by Kevan welford on Tuesday February 23 2016 at 23:25
All the council won't to do his put rent up so people can't a Ford it like that have dun with old people's homes

Reply Posted by David Barker on Wednesday March 30 2016 at 17:32
Just asking if there's any attachments going for rent please reply back

Reply Posted by lyndon on Thursday May 26 2016 at 19:07
I have a private allotment available to rent in Hoyland S74 area

Reply Posted by David Barker on Friday June 3 2016 at 20:38
Hi I was wondering if I could rent out your allotment in hoyland am keen to get my hands on one how much is it to rent. David Barker

Reply Posted by David Barker on Friday June 3 2016 at 20:39
My number is 07505730723. David Barker please send me a message

Reply Posted by John on Sunday June 5 2016 at 10:58
Hi looking for an allotment to lease ,is there anybody who no's of one up to let or can put me onto correct person. Thanks in advance. Barnsley Doncaster Rd area please