Bus Driver Sacked By Stagecoach

Wednesday August 21 2013

Driver sacked by Stagecoach Driver sacked by Stagecoach

A MAN has been sacked for failing to collect fares from a band who staged an impromptu concert on his bus.

Some members of the Frumptarn Guggen Band - along with a band they had invited over from Germany - caught the 66 Stagecoach bus to Worsbrough Mill where they were due to play.

It's understood that due to 'time constraints', the driver didn't collect the £1.50 from each passenger.

During the journey, the musicians entertained passengers with their music until they got off.

However, it appears that one passenger made a complaint about the band not having to pay a fare - which resulted in the driver being called into the office.

The driver, a family man who does not wish to be named, was sacked despite offering to pay the musicians' fares himself.

Rupert Cox, the commercial director for Stagecoach Yorkshire, said: "Stagecoach's policy sets out that our bus drivers are responsible for ensuring all passengers have a valid ticket for travel.

"On this occasion, unfortunately, the correct procedure wasn't followed."

The Frumptarn Guggen Band's conductor, Keith Ramskill, said it seemed like a harsh action for the bus company to take.

"Having so many people we thought it easier to take public transport," he said. "It's quite usual for us to play and sing like this, we travel on trains and play and sing.

"What a shame a lovely afternoon for almost everyone was spoiled by this. I'm surprised anyone complained as they seemed to enjoy the bands.

"We offered to pay the fare and we would like to repeat this offer to Stagecoach if they would reinstate this very kind man."

Reply Posted by steve taylor on Wednesday August 21 2013 at 11:04
That is shamefull .... you can't do right for doing wrong these days.

Reply Posted by me on Wednesday August 21 2013 at 11:10
Shame on the person who complained

Reply Posted by Dawn on Wednesday August 21 2013 at 15:56
i agree shame on the person who complained & shame on Stage-coach .......all hopsitality gone from people these days.........that guy shud get his job back ... & hope the person complaining can live with them selves for loosing a guy his job....

Reply Posted by richard on Wednesday August 21 2013 at 20:04
Stagecoach management are obviously stupid & incompetent, another backward firm allowed to operate in this area. The fact passengers would be entertained would in its self be a positive image for the company as people would be more inclined to travel by bus if there was a chance of some entertainment. This is why Northern Rail has bands playing music on some of its trains to attract passengers & band members don’t pay for travel because one kindness deserves another. Bring back Yorkshire Traction; Frank Carter did Barnsley a bad service when he sold out to stagecoach what a disgrace - the company should be made to re-employ the driver & pay him compensation for the insult.

Reply Posted by x on Wednesday August 21 2013 at 11:11
OMG what a bunch of childish people . glad i dont catch their buses anymore .. i would rather walk . they are dirty nasty pieces of work and their buses aint much cleaner either

Reply Posted by mike on Wednesday August 21 2013 at 11:11
Id like to speak to the man in charge at stagecoach and ask him why I see people consistantly getting on busses without paying and the drivers are never sacked. Id like to find out why if they offered to pay for there fares the driver was still sacked and id like to know why some idiot complained about getting some quality entertainment as a pose to drugged up chavs sitting in the back seats.with there shocking hardcore thud thud thud music blareing out. Its a shocking day when a good dead gets punished!!!

Reply Posted by Caroline on Wednesday August 21 2013 at 11:12
What a shame, I know it's their policies that everyone should buy a ticket, however I think they took it a bit too far by sacking him, at the end the day he's a family man and jobs are hard come by nowadays, he's apologised and offered to pay, what more does the company want !!

Reply Posted by chris on Wednesday August 21 2013 at 11:12
One passenger.all I can say is I hope they are happy with themselves.no matter where you go what you do you all way get one moaning person.I used to drive for stagecoach and one wet and windy day let a young mother with her baby in pram(which nobody got up to help)on the bus without putting pram down.and yes you guessed it I had to go in office for a meeting because somebody complaind..all I can say is some people must have sad life if all they can do is moan

Reply Posted by rach on Wednesday August 21 2013 at 11:13
Disgusting, whoever complained wants something to happen to them that is actually worth complaining about,

Reply Posted by Matt on Wednesday August 21 2013 at 11:15
Boycott stagecoach!!!!

Reply Posted by Kelly on Wednesday August 21 2013 at 11:17
Dear God !! Absolutely pathetic !! I have lost count of how many times I have complained about Stagecoach drivers, their stinking attitudes, complete lack of customer care, ignoring speed limits, unsafe practices that made my daughters pram tip over...the majority of them are clearly unhappy in their work, and it shows as they take it out of the public...Nothing was ever done, as with the politicians, police etc they all close ranks to protect their own !! Stagecoach should be ashamed of themselves, and if they had an ounce of decency they would act on the things that are of greater importance (all mentioned above). Reinstate this obviously genuinely good bus driver...god knows they are a dying breed !!

Reply Posted by Bren on Wednesday August 21 2013 at 11:17
Jobs worth. It says it all. TIME CONSTRAINTS. Bus drivers have certain time limits to adhere to. What harm was really done. Apart from fatcats making more profits. Give him his job back i say.

Reply Posted by Angela on Wednesday August 21 2013 at 11:18
I was on this bus, i can't believe someone complained, they obviously have too much time on their hands. No doubt they would have complained about him running late if he had taken their fares. I think the band should come back and sit playing outside the stagecoach office till they reinstate him!

Reply Posted by Oliver Goodrant on Wednesday August 21 2013 at 11:21
Typical Barnsley, we can let a crowd of immigrants in without question, pay their bills and give them more benefits than our own jobless. Smackheads run around town taking what they like and get nothing kore than a smack on the wrists. We gte fined on the spot for dropping litter, dropping a cigarette end and using the odd foul word. A bloke in Athersley fires a gun through someone's door, Someone else threw themselves off the multi storey car park. A girl gets found in the Courthouse pub with a needle in her arm... need I go on? I just read a teenager was found to have a box of Mcat under his bed... nothing happens. But yet let a band who was willing to entertain for free on a bus and the driver let's them on for free by accident.. he loses his job. Barnsley is a joke. No wonder we are being laughed at. It's things like this that make the new Town Hall fountains look like a waste of money on the people. Change the people, not the buildings. I'm all for signing a petition to get this bloke re-instated. How many of you would sign it? Dear business's, please invest in our poor town.. cos we have this kind of shit to offer you.

Reply Posted by Zoe on Wednesday August 21 2013 at 11:22
yorkshire.enquiries@stagecoachbus.com

Email them and tell them you wont use their buses until he is re-instated

Reply Posted by jimbo on Wednesday August 21 2013 at 19:45
Email on it's way, this stinks.

Reply Posted by Barnsley lass on Wednesday August 21 2013 at 11:22
Absolutely disgusting that he got sacked & I hope the person who complained can live with the consequences of what's happens to the driver! I agree with the above comments! Shame on you & the bus company!

Reply Posted by Rick on Wednesday August 21 2013 at 11:25
SHAME ON YOU STAGECOACH!!!

Reply Posted by Rick on Wednesday August 21 2013 at 11:28
@Oliver Goodrant (good name!!)

I was just thinking the same, I'd sign a petition!!

Reply Posted by Oliver Goodrant on Wednesday August 21 2013 at 11:46
Thanks Rick, maybe we should arrange that. :-)

Reply Posted by Ada Goodrant on Wednesday August 21 2013 at 12:27
I,all sign too wi our Ollie

Reply Posted by sheila on Saturday August 24 2013 at 11:21
i will sign it aswell its a disgrace

Reply Posted by Del on Wednesday August 21 2013 at 11:31
They have even offered to pay the fee as well as the driver, shame on you stage coach, glad I don't use them and won't use them from now, lets hope who ever complained is aware they've made a family man lose his job for the sake of free entertainment on grotty buses

Reply Posted by m on Wednesday August 21 2013 at 11:34
bet he was sacked to make way for more foreign drivers who r rude drive too fast and can't understand we're ya wanna go so always over charge u or sometime just simply do not stop to pick ppl up shame on stage coach n shame on the grass who caused this man to lose his job

Reply Posted by bobbles on Wednesday August 21 2013 at 11:42
two girls got on a bus I was on, one sed to driver ime just helping her wi pram, one girl showed bus pass then past it to her friend, the driver was suspious and asked the girl to see her bus pass again, surprise surprise she cudnt find it, he told her she would av to pay, surprise surprise, no money, he let her stay on the bus, it wasn't rite, I dint even feel the need to report him, ad I, he wud av been without a job

Reply Posted by jan on Wednesday August 21 2013 at 11:45
stagecoach what a joke. if the poor driver had sat their for 10 mins collecting fares, he'd have got sack for bad time keeping on the route. what a stroppy pain in the arse, whoever complained. and I bet until this complaint, his conduct was exemplary. I just hope that whoever complained can live with the fact that they have left a family in dire straits, jobs are so hard to find these days. bet nxt wk this grass complains about how many folk don't work and collect dole money... well we know one person who had no choice but to go sign on. and that's if he is allowed to collect the dss pitance

Reply Posted by Rob on Wednesday August 21 2013 at 11:48
It just shows what this world is coming to. We give to the Lazy scroungers and take from the hard workers. It'll never change

Reply Posted by John on Wednesday August 21 2013 at 11:51
It won't matter one bit if you boycott stagecoach because most of the services are subsidised by the council so they still get money....Rupert cox and Paul lynch hide behind "cast iron" policy's that cover so many situations you can technically get sacked for doing your job properly...it all about if your face fits and how many days overtime you put in as to weather you keep your job or not.

I worked as a driver for five years at stagecoach and I can honestly say in hindsight its the worst place I have ever worked, they are constantly trying to find a reason to sack you, it's stupid.

Reply Posted by Snoj on Wednesday August 21 2013 at 17:40
I thought as much disgusting. I have sent an email to he company as per the one below and not even received a standard , basic, received notification email. Very poor that was over two hours ago now! Not good enough maybe the people dealing with this complaint have not followed procedure do they need sacking? We all make errors of judgment some are less acceptable than others depending on their severity this, however, does not require this approach that has been taken by head office! The issue needs raising to make sure all fares are taken where is practicable so that all travelling have . valid tickets but there are exceptions to this. As I have explained in my letter to them I am totally aware of the difficulties and demands placed upon a driver and the relatively low renumeration they receive for the responsibility and hassle of the position.

Reply Posted by Danni on Wednesday August 21 2013 at 11:51
I hope somet really bad happens to the prick who complained!!!! I'm emailing stagecoach and I'd sign a petition

Reply Posted by Oliver Goodrant on Wednesday August 21 2013 at 11:54
Anyone wanting to sign a petition to do the right thing and get this guy his job back, Let it be known on here and we'll arrange a time and place to meet in town and try do just that. Power to the people!, and we ARE the people.

Reply Posted by Ada Goodrant on Wednesday August 21 2013 at 12:29
You tell em son. Haha

Reply Posted by Ava Goodrant on Wednesday August 21 2013 at 12:35
Sign it for me too sis.
Haha. Aww soz,I'm really sorry for the guy,its disgusting of stagecoach,but I could,t help the name thing.

Reply Posted by Steve on Wednesday August 21 2013 at 12:18
I heard the guy thought it was bus based karaoke and was annoyed he didn't get his turn, brought his tuba and everything. I'd be livid too, I was on the back seat with my clarinet and didn't get a look in but I didn't complain.

Reply Posted by Nicola on Wednesday August 21 2013 at 12:32
This is disgusting. Being sacked for not collecting fares seems pretty harsh, surely a warning would've been better. A bus driver has let me on without paying before when i realised i'd left my purse at work (in Leeds) I was very grateful. I too have been subjected to bad driving from Stagecoach drivers under pressure to be on time. The bus I was on was late because of roadworks and traffic and the driver threw us around roundabouts and corners so fast that my 12 week old baby's pram tipped over sideways. I'm glad she was well strapped into her car seat on it! The driver even stopped outside of town on Pontefract Road and told us all to get off and get on the bus behind because they didn't have time to go to the bus station. Guess what, the bus behind already had prams on and I couldn't get on it. I complained at the bus station and guys in the office tried to make a joke of it, I was furious!

Reply Posted by karen orwin on Wednesday August 21 2013 at 12:41
You should be ashamed of yourselves Stagecoach.

Reply Posted by michelle on Wednesday August 21 2013 at 13:28
yes i also wud sign a petition, its disgraceful, get this guy is job back.

Reply Posted by porl on Wednesday August 21 2013 at 13:35
Cockroach not Stagecoach!! hope the complainant has constant chitz for 6 weeks..pray the sacker ends up on the streets..and hope the driver wins the lottery!

Reply Posted by Rob on Wednesday August 21 2013 at 13:37
Surely a friendly warning would have been sufficient, it was after all quite an unusual thing to happen. Shameful to sack someone for this (unless he had previous warnings, which I doubt) who will now be without income until he can find another job,

Reply Posted by BarnsleyFred on Wednesday August 21 2013 at 14:22
SHAME ON THE STAGECOACH MANAGEMENT, UTTER SHAME!

Reply Posted by Lynne on Wednesday August 21 2013 at 14:25
Hmmm.... not one comment in defence of Stagecoach above, is there? Oliver Goodrant, I will happily sign your petition. You can create one electronically at 38 degrees.

Reply Posted by inmyopinion on Wednesday August 21 2013 at 14:45
some people don not have a clue. How many of you have a job firstly, then just think what if i came to your place of work and asked for what ever you sell and want it for free, who will give me some, Answer NO-ONE?. if your employer see's you giving stuff away what do they do congratulate you don't think so, odds on you would get the sack, The driver failed to collect his fares, we no services are sometimes lost due to them not making money?. No ones afternoon was spoiled has the driver would have been seen later and passengers on that service would not have known. I am surprised that's not come up, you know the one, BRING BACK THE TRACKY. Yes times are hard and theres not many jobs out there, thats why you should do the job as you are supposed to do, give him is job back you say, eh what if he was the driver the drove straight past you at a stop or ran early cause he was on the last run or charged you cause you were old and your pass had run out then what would we hear SACK HIM, all i can say say is UMPAH UMPAH STICK IT UP YOUR JUMPAH, Stagecoach are like any employer and have to account for what they sell and thats bus journeys and not free rides, Oh and has for that person who said that they are always letting people on free, I don't think so

Reply Posted by I sent this to stagecoach on Wednesday August 21 2013 at 14:51
I am most concerned that this person has been sacked based on the information regarding collection of fares? He made a quick unplanned decision, do I let them on to entertain or spend five minutes collecting fares and then the bus doesn't run to schedule? If the information from the press is to be believed then this really is a debacle? If there is other information regarding the driver and previous misconduct then this may be a different matter. This does not look good for the company! Yes there were several options but this is the one the driver chose to take. He is on his own, responsible for the people on the bus, the bus itself, other pedestrians and road users with a 3.5mtrs high vehicle weighing nearly 10 tonnes. If there were conductors then this may well have been resolved by fare collection as it happens these don't exist any more as they were phased out in the mid 80s and early 90s to save more money to make greater financial Gains for the companies to follow.

I don't want you thinking I am questioning your protocols and procedures and policies but this potentially is a classic example of a "knee jerk" reaction to a situation that , potentially , did not require this level of outcome. The person complaining should be ashamed of themselves. The challenges for the driver dealing with rude disrespectful people, awkward car drivers, busy roads, situations on the bus created by customers. They have enough responsibility on their dashboard of jobs to be dealing with.

Without all of the evidence I can not make a judgement but based on the information I have to hand this seems a very harsh outcome. Without all of the evidence it would not be appropriate of me to question the outcome, however, I would like To understand how you came to this decision and on reflection do you really feel that this was in proportion with the alleged crime committed by a complainant of just one person? Potentially this playing on the bus may well have increased the patronage of the buses beyond the money lost by this oversight "on the spot driver decision" as it turns out now the negative press and outrage of local people to the company has quite possibly done the opposite. The band plays on the train on the Penistone line and it works a treat. This driver didn't get up for work and think "right today I won't charge a band if they get on my bus and i will get the sack! ."..?....

I presume you will hide behind policy and procedure on this, but if this is to be the case then i am concerned for many of your drivers. They are under a lot of pressure and I suspect this will be a further blow to their already low morale! This almost seems a bullying culture and the sacking/dismissal used to make sure other drivers know that this will happen to them if they make a similar error of judgment. I get on the bus regularly from the train to the 66 to school and with children from school to raise the profile of public transport for the younger generation. I try to make it easier by collecting money and making sure they all have the right money and passes. Generally the drivers are ok but it makes them late. I make sure the children are polite and as quiet as possible we even stagger the children to mix them up on to different buses. No end of time have I experienced negative comments from other customers stating we should have a school bus its too noisy some have even got off the bus ? Does the driver need to make the judgment not to stop so as not to upset customers who would potentially complain? But then I would complain for not being picked up and a driver not following pick up protocol? The driver can't win! Would he get the sack for making the wrong judgment? Remember without the driver there is no service, no bus , no income. I'm all for good quality customer service from drivers on buses conductors and drivers on trains and on the whole I get this. In comparison to services provided in the SW , Western Greyhound, The staff on stage coach are generally exemplary.

I have taken a great deal of time and thought on this. I am a busy person , but was so moved by the news report I felt the need to have to respond. I look forward to your speedy reply!

Reply Posted by Liam on Wednesday August 21 2013 at 14:59
well its is own fault you cant chose who can or cant pay the bus fairs end of day the driver knew his responsibilities and the rules n regulation of a stagecoach bus driver so i agree with him been sacked end of day stagecoach lost money because of him yeah it was not much money they lost but it could have been avoided if he did he job properly

Reply Posted by Sam on Wednesday August 21 2013 at 15:14
Would people complain if a massive star like David Beckham got on the bus and didn't pay? I don't think so! That person should feel so bad that they have put another good working class citizen out of work and no money to put food onto the table or to keep the roof over their heads, all because of £1.50 times whatever was not taken! Shame on that person. Also bad customer relationship and service from the head office. Also they want more people to use public transport what a massive joke!

Reply Posted by dave on Wednesday August 21 2013 at 17:51
i would not want my job back that is so discusting whats the word coming to for a few poud when there worth millions

Reply Posted by LV on Wednesday August 21 2013 at 17:47
TIME CONSTRAINTS!?!?!?! You have got to be joking me!!! There were countless times when I worked in Hoyland that I would be late for work because the 66 was LATE and the often 20+ crowd would queue and pay their fares one by one! This queue would often stretch to the door to leave the bus station and be up to 3 people thick!

Maybe sacking wasn't the way to go but blaming time constraints?! What a lousy excuse!! Can't be arsed sounds more like it!! They were all going to the same place, all charged the same fare - you input the journey details, collect the fare, print the ticket, then for the following people you collect the fare and print the ticket, rinse and repeat. Time constraints don't come into it! They load up and charge every school kid going to and from Kirk Balk (and they get on in their dozens) so what's so different about these?! Pathetic!!

Reply Posted by inmyopinion on Wednesday August 21 2013 at 18:02
TIME CONSTRAINTS, i love that one, so i go into Tesco on Sat night with my full basket of shopping and get in the longest queue just before closing time do you think the checkout person is going to say ok just go through, PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE what really matters here is that Stagecoach provide a service ( a ride from A to B) for which a fare is paid by the passenger and collected by the driver, Fact Passenger went from A To B, Fare paid no (driver let them go free) this is not allowed and his job then is at risk, he failed to do his job and therefore if he can not do his job action must be taken. It is also not clear on how many times this has happened before, being late should not matter as time may have been made up later in the run, i understand people do not agree with this but those who work for an employer why dont you give stuff away and see how long you last

Reply Posted by rog on Wednesday August 21 2013 at 18:19
Stagecoach rank alongside the other bastion of tolerance Ryanair...what do you expect when they are owned by Scots...the tight t••ts....

Reply Posted by blue ber on Wednesday August 21 2013 at 18:51
Numpty ! Ryanair owned by an irishman. Think your comment is racist

Reply Posted by blueber on Wednesday August 21 2013 at 18:55
Rog how can you comment on tolerance and then make a racist remark about scots

Reply Posted by lol on Wednesday August 21 2013 at 20:15
hum par

Reply Posted by Grumpy on Thursday August 22 2013 at 10:04
Sack em all i say, bunch a useless unprofessional idiots, bully their way through the day, havn't got a clue how to drive large vehicles. Ignorant and intolerant.
The only thing stagecoach employs are cowboys.

Reply Posted by alan on Saturday August 24 2013 at 12:01
haha what a waste of space bet you havent driven nothing larger than a skateboard you sad man, bet your a jeremy kyle reject arent you never worked a days graft in your life! sad sad man your post name says it all!

Reply Posted by Nini on Thursday August 22 2013 at 10:18
Story shared on twitter tagging Stagecoach,Daily Mail and The Sun in same tweet.No such thing as bad publicity eh?
Sent on behalf of someones elderly parents who spend many a time waiting for late buses and cancelled ones arriving at Hoyland bus stops,or the best one when they drive straight past because they havent got time to stop as they are running late.

Reply Posted by Zoe on Thursday August 22 2013 at 13:09
I emailed them - got this response

Thank you for your comments.

On this occasion, unfortunately, the correct procedure wasn't followed.

As quoted in the original Barnsley Chronicle article, we believe the driver has since found alternative employment.

We value all feedback from our customers, thank you for contacting us.

Regards,

Stagecoach in Yorkshire

Reply Posted by mr c on Friday August 23 2013 at 18:46
This is terrible act.
What happened to procedures. verbal, written warnings before dissmissal ???
if this happened in Germany it would cause an uproar.
Idiots at stagecoach should be taken to a tribunal.

Reply Posted by Glen Martin on Saturday August 24 2013 at 11:07
well done to the passenger who has made a bloke with a family unemployed, hope you are happy!

Reply Posted by Michael on Saturday August 24 2013 at 11:07
What many of you seem to fail to realise is that if the bus driver has been caught letting people on for free this time then how many times as he let his mates on for free, felt sorry for someone and let them on for free, fancied a nice lady and let her on for free. I don't think some of you see the bigger picture on this. It also took someone to complain and the bus driver didn't admit what he'd done himself so this shows dishonesty and he can't be trusted. Sure he's bound to offer to repay once he's been caught but how do management know how many times he's actually done it?

Reply Posted by king louis on Saturday August 24 2013 at 11:16
so he was really sacked for something that you think he "may" have done even though there is no evidence?.....mmmh that seems a fair way to judge him...... he was however really sacked for not taking the fares from these entertainers.

Reply Posted by dragonheart on Saturday August 24 2013 at 11:08
you guys are getting on to stagecoach nut all they have done is follow policy the real person to blame is the sad moron who complained like they got nothing better to do with there time that's who should be held to blame

Reply Posted by king louis on Saturday August 24 2013 at 11:12
stagecoach manager.. what if The Queen gets on the bus?

Reply Posted by John on Saturday August 24 2013 at 11:15
King Louis - what a sweeping hypothetical - the Queen isn't getting on a bus love.

Reply Posted by A Stagecoach Driver on Monday September 2 2013 at 15:40
Ha, ha, ha. I do believe there actually are one or two but, there are also quite a few ex-servicemen and part-time door staff working here, too, not to mention other grown-up blokes who have travelled the world and done more with their lives than cling to mummy's apron strings.
P.S. It's very funny that there's been no additions to this post for days, and then all of a sudden, there's two in two minutes, both using upper case lettering trying to make what they say seem big and clever, (when really it is just making up for lack of intelligent content), and also they are using two different names trying to make out they are from two completely separate sources. "LOL", above at 13.28, and "Flapper" some way below at 13.30.
Maybe that Gay Pride thingy, yesterday, upset someone. It's not my cup of tea, either but, we have to be grown up about things, haven't we?

Reply Posted by A Stagecoach Driver on Monday September 2 2013 at 18:28
The comment that my above post was replying to has been removed, apparently.

Reply Posted by Flapper on Tuesday September 3 2013 at 08:36
Shut that door

Reply Posted by ROFPML on Tuesday September 3 2013 at 16:30
Oh dear. Another fail. Lol.

Reply Posted by ROFPML on Tuesday September 3 2013 at 16:59
Come on Flapper. Give us some "intelligent content".

Reply Posted by Flapper on Wednesday September 4 2013 at 20:45
Chase me

Reply Posted by Flapper on Wednesday September 4 2013 at 20:47
Band on the run

Reply Posted by Flapper on Wednesday September 4 2013 at 20:48
Another one bites the dust.

Reply Posted by Kersh on Saturday August 24 2013 at 11:25
I hope some decent bus company reads this and offers this man a job with a decent company
Stagecoach however won't be bothered one bit as they don't need people to earn money as the government pay them to run all this bad publicity means is they will be more room on the bus. Still can't wait to see this hit the front page of chronicle. One word for the moaning whinger LOSER. rant over

Reply Posted by dom little on Saturday August 24 2013 at 11:41
if i was a driver and a old lady got on my bus and she was in a state because she had forgot a purse no way would i be able to kick her off i think that would make me a better person so you guys trying to stick up for stage coach are full off poo this guy made a similar decision so why should he lose is job i think stage coach will be more out of pocket now as i for 1 will not be using them again

Reply Posted by alan on Saturday August 24 2013 at 11:52
what a joke, im an ex stagecoach bus driver and i left due to this strict conduct, they have you in the office over petty things its unreal, there policy is too strict and i got told when i worked for the so called great firm to work for that drivers are ten a penny!! and your always on egg shell's, anyone looking to work for them think twice, theres better firm out there such as arriva, first go work for them they value there drivers!

Reply Posted by dave on Saturday August 24 2013 at 11:57
what a load of bull i can assure you all the drivers have some way or another let someone on the bus free of charge i was a yorkshire traction bus driver in the day and what a firm that used to be shame theyre not around now days!! i used to let my family on free of charge time to time come on stagecoach we all do it!!

Reply Posted by G on Saturday August 24 2013 at 12:39
Hope the passenger who complained is really happy with themselves, come on Stagecoach re-instate him

Reply Posted by inmyopinion on Saturday August 24 2013 at 17:19
Firstly i am sure i have seen a pic of the Queen on a Stagecoach bus earlier this year, some opening or other. Secondly there is a big difference in letting a little old person on free who has forgotten their pass even though it is similar, then letting a large group of passengers on who would have paid but the driver could not be bothered to collect the fares due to being a little late

Reply Posted by Lee on Saturday August 24 2013 at 19:26
Another good man loses his job. The man's family will suffer. Benefits will be claimed. What complete nonsense. Re-instate the driver. This is a StageCoach PR disaster.

Reply Posted by Jack linhard on Saturday August 24 2013 at 22:22
To be honest if this guy (bus driver) worked for me, I would have given him the sack. He should have done the job he is paid to do, end of. Ex drivers moaning about how badly you was treated, ha-ha yet again, drivers not doing the job like you should do = sack. I use stagecoach all the time and will not stop using them because a driver failed to do his job correctly. The routes I use have friendly drivers and I have never had a problem. Take a look at Tates drivers, which are 99% of sacked stagecoach drivers, that’s why the service is very, very poor from Tates.

Reply Posted by Davey Boy on Sunday August 25 2013 at 03:18
My personal opinion is that Stagecoach are backward, lacking empathy and are truly an incompetent employer. And I would say to all of those that said, " I would sack him for not what he was paid to do. End of!", sorry, but you are slightly retarded.

This would, and should have been, a coup of positive publicity for Stagecoach, but thanks to their high handed, bungling approach to this, they have now come across as mean-spirited and tight fisted morons.

To save what face they left, they should reinstate the driver and make a grovelling apology. I know they won't, because they are arrogantly thick.

Reply Posted by Miss.N on Sunday August 25 2013 at 11:01
Just a thought but if they hadn't been musicians would you have felt the same? He'd take their fare. Time constraints mean nothing; you can't predict how many people will be at a stop and if he'd not stopped there'd be complaints. Why didn't they just pay anyway? This story must have more to it...

Reply Posted by A. Stagecoach Driver on Sunday August 25 2013 at 11:33
I see different angles to this.
There are many new drivers working here whose names and faces I can't put together yet, and I can't place who this particular driver is, therefore he/she was possibly a comparatively inexperienced newbie who became confused under those particular circumstances. We drivers all know we have to be careful not to bring in any bad publicity, and I wonder if it crossed this driver's mind not to risk any public backlash by spoiling the celebratory ambience and being a jobs-worth.
Yes, we all know the correct thing to do would have been to issue tickets which give legal protection whilst travelling. It's not just about the fare money. Stagecoach are very concerned about any liabilities which can cost the company far more money than they lose on the fares. If, God forbid, anyone should be hurt or injured on a bus then, of course, compensation claims come in, and YOUR TICKET IS ALSO YOUR TRAVEL INSURANCE. The law and VOSA are very strict on bus companies because of the safety and financial/insurance risks involved in this industry, and this strictness is passed down to the men and women on the front line, the drivers.
Every driver has a file kept on him/her for the duration of the term of employment and beyond that for future reference. What many of the public might not realise is how disciplined and kept in line the drivers have to be because of the nature of the job. We regularly get jumped on over seemingly little things to stop them becoming big things.
After all, we have the responsibility of driving you and your families safely around the roads of this area, in all weather conditions, at all sorts of unsocial hours and Bank Holidays, and such are our day to day shift patterns that sometimes our body-clock doesn't know if it's coming or going, therefore some sort of watch over us is necessary.
All day long, we drivers encounter various situations with passengers, road conditions, and other road users that require flexible thinking and attitude. Sometimes something unusual might suddenly crop up, entirely out of the blue, and catch us out. We might also be quite tired and worn out at the time and we can easily make an error of judgement under such conditions. Although we go through various professional training courses, we are all only human underneath.
Then there is the question of showing Mercy to someone. The company showing mercy to it's employees. The drivers showing mercy to someone in dire straits. (We cannot leave a vulnerable person at risk because of a fare problem, and most drivers will take a discretionary decision where an elderly person has lost their pass, or a quite young person, a child, has lost their money, to help them to get home (This is covered)). Could the company have shown more mercy in this discussed case?
I think we all wish life was Love over Gold but, in these hard and vile times, we are locked in a world where money is put first.
Despite all appearances here, in this case of the sacked driver, we have to trust that management know something we don't, or have spotted something we haven't, as they themselves are trained to do, and hope they have made the right decision in this case. Perhaps the only person who can shed more light on this is the driver concerned.

Reply Posted by Jack linhard on Monday August 26 2013 at 11:18
Well said, could not agree with you more and got to say the best comment anyone as put to this.
hat off to you my friend!

Reply Posted by In the know on Monday August 26 2013 at 21:38
Paul couling doesn't always collect fairs and has been called in about it but still works there!!!!

Reply Posted by A Stagecoach Driver on Tuesday August 27 2013 at 09:40
I don't know this case but, I'll take this opportunity to say that not all disciplinary procedures end in a sacking. Sometimes a driver can be stood down and have to go through different levels of appeal procedures to try and keep his/her job. This is usually without pay for one, two, three weeks or so depending on the case. The driver cannot claim any benefits during a disciplinary stand down and can lose hundreds of pounds in pay, which is like being fined a large sum of money for whatever he/she has done wrong. Just because a driver is still working on the buses doesn't mean he/she has got away with anything. A lot goes on behind the scenes that the public are unaware of.

Reply Posted by Carl gulliford on Tuesday August 27 2013 at 00:46
They did not sack the driver that went through the dirty slush deliberetly and found it hilarious to soak me and my bby daughter last winter at ward green i complained but nothin was done not even a apology and to sack this poor guy for this good will is disgusting policies all wrong.

Reply Posted by A Stagecoach Driver on Tuesday August 27 2013 at 09:27
I don't know if you are talking about a Stagecoach bus. We now only have one run, 67A, which goes through Ward Green only at certain times of the day, usually evenings and Sundays.
Drenching someone deliberately like that by any kind of vehicle driver is an offence and can be reported to the police. You will need the vehicle number, the time and place, and if possible, a witness. We wouldn't like it being done to us and if this driver did this deliberately then we can't side with him. He is standing alone.

Reply Posted by donni on Tuesday August 27 2013 at 12:58
well thats stagecoach for yr another one shut off,get rid off off top paid drivers and keep the lowest drivers on.MM THATS HOW THEY MAKE THERE MONEY.

Reply Posted by MANDY on Tuesday August 27 2013 at 13:01
well if it was me and band got on to play id have got off bus.who wants to be going home with a ruddy brass band playing.

Reply Posted by A Stagecoach Driver on Wednesday August 28 2013 at 12:21
I agree with Mandy. It was pure vanity and recklessness of the band to impose themselves on others this way. They may well have got away with playing on trains but, there is a lot of difference in space and acoustics between the insides of a train and a bus. Also, a train is on rails and is kept on track that way. A bus has to be driven by a human driver who needs to concentrate intensely, especially under those conditions, such as when steering round obstacles, sometimes within inches of something or someone, controlling the sway of the bus as he does so, judging the braking distances without either overshooting and hitting something or going off the road, reacting safely to a thousand and one things that suddenly crop up as he drives along the road, etc. etc. Many things can go, and have gone, wrong out there on the road. People, please realise that the driver needs to concentrate on his driving for every-ones sake!

P.S. Have a look on YouTube to see how important driver concentration is and how destructive a bus can be.

Reply Posted by LOL on Thursday August 29 2013 at 06:21
DONT HAVE TO LOOK AT YOU-TUBE WE SHUT OUR EYES EVERY TIME WE GET ON A BUS

Reply Posted by A Stagecoach Driver on Thursday August 29 2013 at 09:22
There you go, then. "Time Constraints". Lol.
I wish our timetables allowed us to drive in a more natural manner but, some timetables do and some don't.
We are stuck between a rock and a hard place. We are damned if we do something, and damned if we don't do the very same thing.
It's like being in a circus. Tightrope walking, juggling, jumping through hoops of fire etc. Lol
Ah, well. It's a job, innit? Could you do it, day after day, week after week, month after month, year after year, or are you just an armchair critic? Come and show us how good YOU are at this job. Lol.

Reply Posted by LOL on Friday August 30 2013 at 08:27
NOT TO MENTION CLOWNING ABOUT [CIRCUS] AH AH AH AH MONEY FOR OLD ROPE SAT ON ARSE ALL DAY STAR-GAZING TAKING PISS.

Reply Posted by A Stagecoach Driver on Friday August 30 2013 at 12:49
Aawww, you poor thing. We can all see from your comments that you're having a bad time, and that you're in need of some sympathy. Hope you get better soon. Have a nice day.

Reply Posted by A Stagecoach Driver on Monday September 2 2013 at 15:56
Who knows what the future holds? We've all seen better days. Many drivers here aren't exactly over the moon about having to drive buses for a living now but, they've got the guts to do it to pay their way in life.
As for mentioning remand, perhaps trying to sound intimidating, just where do you think bus drivers come from? There are quite a few ex-servicemen and part-time door staff working here, too, not to mention other grown-up blokes who have travelled the world and done more with their lives than cause other people pain and aggro, well, not to innocent people, anyway.

Reply Posted by A Stagecoach Driver on Monday September 2 2013 at 18:26
The comment that the above post was replying to has been removed, apparently.

Reply Posted by Clarasu on Monday January 6 2014 at 21:05
There seems to be no consistency in stagecoach policy, sacking one driver for not collecting a fare whilst allowing another to continue working after he crashed into a parked car, hit a pedestrian and received a driving conviction as a result. Seems like money is more important to them than safety.

Reply Posted by Bus Driver on Sunday January 19 2014 at 02:25
Mr Brian Souter gave £1,000,000 to the S N P get his Knighthood,he will always be a BIGOT over CLAUSE 28.

Reply Posted by johny on Sunday March 9 2014 at 22:38
ASK PAUL LYNCH TO LOOK A IT AGAIN,BET THAT INSPECTOR BROWNY GRASSED HIM

Reply Posted by Guxim on Monday March 17 2014 at 20:42
Three times stagecoach bus in london has
Turned down my job application because for being out of work for more than one year wich I found it very discriminate during the time being out of work with my little bit of saving I managed to complete the bus training and achieved license and drivers qualification card wich I thought things would be easier for me to find work but London stagecoach bus has discriminated .......!

Reply Posted by Andrew on Thursday May 29 2014 at 11:53
Stagecoach does have some very rude drivers yet again not too many rude ones but they give the good drivers such a bad name

Reply Posted by Andrew on Thursday May 29 2014 at 12:01
I pay my bus fair so why shouldn't anyone else pay it. The bus driver should in all fairness have been sacked owing to the situation. Yes he has family and kids but its for this very reason he should have thought twice before putting hes job at risk

Reply Posted by big labowski on Thursday September 29 2016 at 16:30
chill out man. you sound like the sort of person whos day would be made if you got someone the sack. Take note, its other people who f... you up.... always! you sound like one of those people.

Reply Posted by roy mcgrath on Friday March 11 2016 at 14:19
if they serviced the buses like they sack drivers , car would not have to drive in fog behind them

Reply Posted by jack on Tuesday November 22 2016 at 16:46
Well what can I say - In Bedford a bus driver basically told my 13 year old daughter to get off the bus because the annual bus pass that I had brought her and paid for in full did not work and my daughter did not have any money on her so the nus driver asked her to get off the bus and find a teacher when my daughter returned a couple of minutes later the bus driver had driven off leaving my daughter stranded without any way of getting home. so what will stage coach do in this case I wonder I feel sorry for this bus driver stagecoach have gone too far especially since he offered to at for the fees he should be given his job back but this particular bus driver in Bedford should be ashamed.

I complained and the company said they would get back to me and never did ai had to chase them for a call back. then the depot manager simply said don't know what else you want we exchanged the buss pass for your daughter and waived the fee I said if that is what is response was I would pay the fee and I will be doing that a fee of £25 he was more concerned about mentioning the fee he waived rather than leaving a 13 year old girl stranded and being basically kicked off the bus how disgraceful

Reply Posted by anthony radford on Thursday March 23 2017 at 09:29
i worked for stagecoach as a driver and the driver who got the sack should have made them pay for the ride but if he was going to pay for them he should have not got the sack cause there fare was getting payed that is the way i see it