Work Starts On Controversial Development

Thursday August 15 2013

We Are Barnsley We Are Barnsley

WORK has started on a controversial supermarket and housing development.

Diggers have been working on the former Royston High School site - despite long-running objections from residents and local councillors.

The new development includes a supermarket, petrol station and more than 140 new homes and is being overseen by Kier Property Developments.

Sam Morgan, of Doles Crescent, Royston, has complained to the ombudsman about the planning process.

He said they're unhappy about how they were consulted and thinks a late letter of objection from Royston's Asda about the impact on them of a new supermarket was not properly considered.

Sam said it was submitted just before plans were given the go-ahead.

He says the majority of people in Royston don't want the development and Barnsley Council has approved the plans because it can get £7million from the sale of the land.

A new supermarket will be detrimental to local businesses, he says, and Midland Road, running next to the development, will not be able to cope with more traffic.

"It just goes to show the planning department at Barnsley Council are showing as much scorn to the ombudsman as the people of Royston," he said.

Cllr Graham Kyte, who has been opposed to the development, said local councillors had not been kept informed.

"Local members are completely out of the loop, we've had no communication from Kier or from the authority," he said.

"We're completely in the dark as ever. It's appalling they're just disregarding us all together, whether it's because we're opposing it I don't know."

Are you from the area? What do you think? Are you in favour? Have your say below.

Reply Posted by ALISON on Thursday August 15 2013 at 12:35
I THINK IT'S GREAT. IT WILL BRING JOBS FOR LOCAL PEOPLE AND BADLY NEEDED HOUSING, I'M ALL FOR IT. PEOPLE WILL STILL SHOP IN THE LOCAL SHOPS AS THE NEW SUPERMARKET WILL NOT SUPPLY EVERYTHING THEY OFFER AND IT WILL GIVE THE CO=OP A RUN FOR IT'S MONEY AS THERE PRICES ARE TOO HIGH

Reply Posted by Dre on Thursday August 15 2013 at 12:38
Its good it brings jobs... but for local people? dont be to sure

Reply Posted by J on Thursday August 15 2013 at 12:44
It will kill all small local business, the post office, the butchers and bakers. Not to mention the co-op, Asda and Jet garage. Also 140 new houses filled with new families sending their children to an oversubscribed and failing Carlton community college. It's a bad idea all round, no consideration has been give to the heart of the community, only the lining of the relevant pockets.

Reply Posted by alison on Thursday August 15 2013 at 13:49
How will it affect the post office? Asda hasn't affected anyone so a bit of competition might be healthy for the butcher and the baker. People are crying out to get on the housing market around here instead of paying high rents. We should be moving forward and progressing instead of standing still.

Reply Posted by me on Thursday August 15 2013 at 12:51
I AGREE WITH ALISON, IT WILL CREATE MORE JOBS AND BETTER HOUSING, HOW CAN THAT BE A BAD THING. !!!!

Reply Posted by J on Thursday August 15 2013 at 12:52
It will make more jobs yes, but it will cause a lot of people in small businesses to lose their as there will be little to no business so it's swings and roundabouts.

Reply Posted by Bryan on Thursday August 15 2013 at 13:01
This Sam Morgan, whoever he is, says the majority of people in Royston don't want this can I ask how does he know? Has he done a survey of the residents(I live in Royston) or is it just him and his "mates" ?

Reply Posted by alison on Thursday August 15 2013 at 13:50
I agree i was never asked

Reply Posted by Chris Morgan on Saturday August 17 2013 at 10:18
Sam ant got no mates !!!!

Reply Posted by J on Thursday August 15 2013 at 13:05
Got to love the sweepings generalisation these people use 'the majority of the village want it' where have they got this idea, I work in the village and every time I discuss it with a customer the first thing they ask is 'why?' Why do we need it, why do we want it. Big business doing what they like to get rich.(er)

Reply Posted by Clare on Thursday August 15 2013 at 13:31
Lived in Royston all my life and its just wrong to put all that there, it will just put more strain on the little small shops there and the other 2 supermarkets we have and the traffic out side my children's school. It stinks goes to show what a 7mil bribe can do er? The Royston community just don't want or need it and the council are screwing sods full stop!

Reply Posted by Paul on Thursday August 15 2013 at 14:14
I think it is brilliant for the village. Progress is the way forward. I live in Royston too......no objections from me or any of my friends who live around here

Reply Posted by Sandra on Thursday August 15 2013 at 14:51
It will not bring jobs into the village has most of the supermarket jobs will be given out to the staff that work in the Barnsley/Wakefield stores I have already been told this

Reply Posted by alison on Thursday August 15 2013 at 15:35
They will only give the jobs to those who live in Royston but work at Morrissons already in barnsley/wakefield. That is what i was told and by law they have to employ a percentage of local people.

Reply Posted by mae brussel on Thursday August 15 2013 at 15:09
I dont know.
You moan if the council builds on green belt land.
You moan if they build on used land
you moan about the state of barnsley town centre.
Why cant barnsley council just knok all the town down and build houses instead
would solve all the housing problems.
Then you could moan about something completely different

Reply Posted by stationRd on Thursday August 15 2013 at 15:48
If it's a proper Sainsburys rather than just the local I'm all for it. Good place for a few new houses and the infrastructure changes will be welcome. Co-Op is a rip off anyway and people will still use specialist shops like bakers butchers and florist. I heard a new pub/restaurant too is that true (Only the bells that's anygood nowadays). Sounds great to me.

Reply Posted by Stevo on Thursday August 15 2013 at 16:34
7 million quid eh?

I wonder what glorious project the idiots at BMBC will squander that on?

Reply Posted by PJ on Thursday August 15 2013 at 20:00
I'm with you Bryan - I live in Royston & went to the public meetings, asked all my questions & said that I was in favour if it. Nobody since then has canvased my opinion - pretty sure 'the whole if Royston' isn't against it!!
Hopefully the new supermarket will offer competition to the poorly stacked shelves in Asda & the highly overpriced coop!!

Reply Posted by jan on Thursday August 15 2013 at 21:42
dunt matter how much you complain, theyl still build, at least your getting a supermarket n petrol station with it too. some of us still have to travel miles for a supermarket

Reply Posted by Thomas on Thursday August 15 2013 at 22:56
I live in Royston. This Sam Morgan (whoever he is) has not sought my opinion on the matter. However, I have to tell him that I am in favour of the scheme. If I was an independent retailer I would also welcome the development as it will potentially provide me with more customers, both from the 140 new houses and other people who would be attracted to shop in the village t=as a result of the new supermarket being there.

Reply Posted by Patricia on Friday August 16 2013 at 07:16
I don't live in Royston but jobs have got to be good in any area, as long as they don't build on green space. also other stores keep prices down, and every-one needs that. and if the houses being built are a price that young people can afford that's good also to bring new life in to an area.

Reply Posted by becky on Friday August 16 2013 at 12:38
Doles Crescent is at the other side of Royston so don't know why they chose a spokesperson from there it will have no affect on them really!! I think its great, better than a derelict piece of waste land, ive never been asked if I agree or disagree with the plans.

Reply Posted by Snuck on Saturday August 17 2013 at 10:21
Royston is full of inbreeds, no one cares !!!

Reply Posted by Thomas on Saturday August 17 2013 at 10:26
Does that mean that you live there. Plonker

Reply Posted by Snuck on Saturday August 17 2013 at 19:08
Yes with my sister and my wife, just the 2 of us !

Reply Posted by joanne on Sunday August 18 2013 at 11:43
I agree I think its a fab idea and I live in Royston hope I get a job lol

Reply Posted by observer on Sunday August 18 2013 at 11:48
alison...wake up. smell the coffe love. asda. all supermarkets have killed everything. tobacconists. butchers. fishmongers. milke deliveries to the doorstep. paper shops. public houses. you name any local business. asda and co are out to kill them.

Reply Posted by alison on Sunday August 18 2013 at 19:16
Hey Mr Observer that's your trouble, you haven't woken up and smelt the coffee!!!!
Royston needs a good shake up and needs to move forward with the tiimes. The supermarket will bring jobs, badly needed houses must be a bonus. When Asda opened it didn't affect anyone. It made the co-op wake up and realise they can't keep charging high prices. As for your local shops,we have 2 butchers, 1 florist,1 bakers,1 cake shop,1 toyshop,numerous hair & beauty salons and 3 supermarkets and a Post office. I don't think another supermarket will affect the area, it will give people more choice & jobs. I still buy my meat from the butchers and i have a choice now to shop around. Royston will become a ghost town if we do not move forward and progress.

Reply Posted by fisherman on Sunday August 18 2013 at 12:26
I lived in royston for many years and went to school with SAM he should realise that the people of Royston killed their community by not using the amenities they had Buisness,s going under, Pubs closing,It will be a good idea in principle if managed correctly and as a few others are saying competition will help, from the sight is see when I do visit, Royston as changed but not fast enough with the times, So dont shout and scream,f you intend to keep buying local then use your local shops,pubs,clubs insted of buying from the large chain stores,It,s your money.

Reply Posted by tonypalmer on Wednesday August 21 2013 at 22:36
Does Sam Work for the fire service?

Reply Posted by ben on Tuesday December 17 2013 at 22:39
The roads in royston already struge with the traffic its only going to get worse with more houses and a supermarket.