Police Appeal After Firearm Incident

Tuesday August 13 2013

Police appeal after firearm incident Police appeal after firearm incident

A GUN was fired into the door of a property in Athersley North.

Police received reports at around 11.05pm on August 12 that a firearm had been discharged into the door of a property on Carr Furlong, Athersley North.

Nobody was injured and police enquiries are ongoing.

No arrests have been made so far and police do not believe this to be a random incident.

Police are particularly interested in tracing a small red motorcycle, which was seen in the area.

Anyone with information should contact South Yorkshire Police on 101 quoting incident number 1331 of August 12, 2013.

Reply Posted by T on Tuesday August 13 2013 at 14:20
What are things coming to!?

Reply Posted by disgrace on Tuesday August 13 2013 at 14:37
this is disgusting, what if a poor little child was in the house? if some people had brains, they would be dangerous!! Barnsley is getting worse!!

Reply Posted by LV on Tuesday August 13 2013 at 14:38
People being idiots as usual, nothing changes, just gets more advanced. Whatever happen to booting a door in I ask??

Reply Posted by aggiedevilchild on Tuesday August 13 2013 at 14:52
well y dnt ur do sumthing about it if ur r that worried about it barnsley has been out of control far 2 lng its joke's haha

Reply Posted by Geoff on Tuesday August 13 2013 at 15:05
Typical rough council estate. Full of drug dealing, fighting and every other form of crime. It's about time out taxes were put to good use and the police lock up the no good oxygen thieves so the good people can lead a normal life

Reply Posted by Nicole on Wednesday August 14 2013 at 16:13
Actually Geoff some parts of Athersley North are quite nice i'll have you know. Not all of them are drug dealers or gangsters like they're all made out to be. There's loving families that don't live in the rough council houses. To be honest Athersley South is much worse than the North. Oh and i'm sure you get worse incidents in much calmer villages! Most of the people that live in Athersley North work their butts of too yet still get underminded by judgemental people like yourself.

Reply Posted by Kate on Tuesday August 13 2013 at 15:32
Well Geoff, actually Carr furlong is not a council estate, it's not just Barnsley gerrin worse its all over, n in my opinion it's coz of lenient sentences passed out and the government screwing us all for what we have, rant over.

Reply Posted by sarah on Tuesday August 13 2013 at 16:21
Oh dear can't slate the people of Goldthorpe this time whatever will we do!!!

Reply Posted by Brian on Tuesday August 13 2013 at 19:39
he was from goldthorpe, he came all that way on his bike to cause trouble.
just shows what you lot can do.

Reply Posted by lee on Tuesday August 13 2013 at 16:56
Until pre-crime arrives there is nothing we can do prevent it ^-^

Reply Posted by chris on Tuesday August 13 2013 at 18:01
Geoff I have lived on the street for the last 17 years and I cant once recall any incidents where the police have been required. It was pretty mental last night though, saw the bike flee and was outside talking to armed police which took 45 minutes to arrive. took police 20minutes to arrive in first place though. slightly disappointing

Reply Posted by Norther on Tuesday August 13 2013 at 18:19
Chris I think you need a new watch I saw the aftermath too and the first policeman was there within minutes and gun cops were all over the estate in less than 10 minutes!! I think it took them longer to actually get to the scene coz they went looking for the gunman first which I for one was glad about!!

Reply Posted by Harry on Tuesday August 13 2013 at 21:17
Sorry Norther but Chris has nothing wrong with his watch, I was also there. I am appalled at the police response time, it was 20 mins before any police arrived on the scene (these being general beat bobbies) and over 45 mins before the armed police arrived! What is even more disturbing is the fact that the beat bobbies who arrived 1st were not even made aware that they were dealing with a gun crime (even though it had been reported as such) thankfully the mad gun person had fled.... who knows what would have happened to the beat bobbies if he was still around? ...... And no they were not taking longer to arrive 'coz they went looking for the gunman' as you state.... neither the armed response nor beat bobbies knew what they were looking for until they had arrived at the scene and obtained witness accounts to what had happened.......and this is all FACT! I would also like to say that all police who attended were very professional and quick to act once on scene, in no way was the delay in attending due to them. It does in fact seem the communication from call handlers and relaying 999 messages are not up to the standard they should be and we can only be thankful things didn't end up worse due to them not relaying the full & correct conversations so that police knew what situation they were about to walk into.

Reply Posted by lauren on Tuesday August 13 2013 at 20:52
It's not Barnsley that's getting bad it's the people who live in Barnsley that are getting worse if the law actually did something to prevent these idiots from doing harm to others even though no one got hurt in this particular incident. The thing that makes me laugh is that if you have no previous convictions then you get released on bail then they do a runner n where they have ran to hurt some one in that area all I can say is if you have broken the law no matter how big or small you should be punished properly

Reply Posted by not just now on Tuesday August 13 2013 at 22:14
It isn't that It's getting worse, I lived in athersley 16 years ago our dog was shot it didn't kill her but left a nasty hole I was shot at luckily it missed. I thought it was just someone shooting a pellit gun in there garden not realizing it was coming through to mine. But after other things that happened we made ourselves homeless to get out of there. We were broken into 17 times in twelve months once we moved it was heaven. I can now sleep at night I lived in fear the whole time I was there

Reply Posted by lauren on Tuesday August 13 2013 at 22:21
But it's not Barnsley who shot your dog or shot at you it's the people in barnsley that are doing plus many years ago you could leave your doors open keys in your etc but has time gone by and drugs n drink n violence on tv n films etc are the reason why violence n to robberies are happening to people it's a crazy world we live in because ov the people who live in it

Reply Posted by Dawn Bamford on Tuesday August 13 2013 at 22:24
I've lived on carr furlong for 17 years aswell. We've had a few dodgy neighbours over the years but usually a very quiet street. Heard the shots last night but didn't see anything & slept through police arriving etc. Scary as we've 2 children under age of 9 & other small children on here too. Hope they catch the person involved and deal with them so this doesn't happen again on a quiet cul de sac!

Reply Posted by JoeRowland on Wednesday August 14 2013 at 00:07
Anyone banging on about how rough Barnsley is hasn't been to any major city centre at any point in there life. People around here who reckon they are "Bad Boys or Gangsters" are just mimicking gangs from major cities, Just because Barnsley is in a rural area and has a lot of "common people" everyone reckons it's rough or we're all scum... I am sick to death of people stereotyping especially when for every one family that turns out to be bad there is an entire street of honest decent people that get stereotyped by dull minded people who probably haven't ever even lived here.

Reply Posted by Shot gunner on Wednesday August 14 2013 at 01:01
U reds

Reply Posted by janine appleby on Wednesday August 14 2013 at 08:00
in response to Geoff the estate is not full of drug dealing and thieves we have our share same as anywhere else if you happen to live in Athersley North and dont like then move i have a niece that lives on that street and one of my friends daughters yes i am appalled at what has occurred but don't judge us all.

Reply Posted by sarah on Wednesday August 14 2013 at 10:47
Brian darling I was born in athersley not goldthorpe so you saying us lot is really silly statement. And if you know who has done this i presume you have given names to the police.

Reply Posted by laura taylor on Wednesday August 14 2013 at 13:11
I agree, its not Barnsley that's getting worse its the people in it, don't know how ppl can slag Barnsley off or athersley north, cos there's worser things happening all over the UK.

Reply Posted by kip on Wednesday August 14 2013 at 13:28
Once again,some one commits a crime and everybody else gets painted by the same brush.If you cannot find anything constructive to say then shut it.

Reply Posted by lauren on Wednesday August 14 2013 at 15:18
That's exactly my point Laura Taylor there's worse thing going off in the world fair enough it bad that some one shot through some ones door n thank god no one got hurt or even worse killed but I can't bare picking up the news paper all I read is bout child rapists or child kidnapping or wars going off wish people would just on I hate to think what type of world I have brought my kids into a crazy world full of crazy people who are full of greed and hatred towards others

Reply Posted by Josh on Wednesday August 14 2013 at 16:22
not been funny but south is way better then north. so shut up. :)

Reply Posted by Michelle on Wednesday August 14 2013 at 18:16
funny how people judge before knowing all the facts i have lived on carrfurlong for 10 years n there has hardly ever been any trouble so so much for saying ruff estate !!!!!!
yeh the other night was mental but chris u are right with ur times the police could of been there quicker all i can say is shit happens n im sure this will be dealt with so before shooting ur mouths off know the truth

Reply Posted by mark on Wednesday August 14 2013 at 18:43
So why was the gunman at that house and fled? Was it a random attack or did he know them? was it drugs? or just the fact that they looked at the gunman? This place is appalling now. Barnsley has the lowest crime for years lol my arse, you only have to look at someone in the town centre and you get you head smashed in...a lot of folk have issues.

Reply Posted by Jodi on Wednesday August 14 2013 at 19:03
Mark, this was not a random attack, as for the reasons behind it..who knows? Im sure it will all become clearer in time...

Reply Posted by lauren on Thursday August 15 2013 at 08:47
There's worse place out there than Barnsley and I can walk around and look at who I want no one has ever smashed my head maybe its just you and as for people having issues every one has got problem big ones or little ones just some people struggle to cope and go the wrong about solving there issues not every one in barnsley are bad so don't tarnish every one it's only a certain amount and can I make a point off the gunman wast from Barnsley he was from some were else

Reply Posted by Ozzy on Thursday August 15 2013 at 12:14
I am sick of people saying that barnsley people are being stereo typed, it's total rubbish. I am originally from Huddersfield and I was shocked when I moved over to barnsley. It is one of the worst areas for crime and vandalism I have lived in. It's also the worst area I have lived in for children being rude and breaking the law too. That's before I get into the amount of drugs. Please don't go on about stereo types. The people in barnsley want to take a long hard look at themselves and actually start reporting people who break the law, instead of turning a blind eye. The amount of kids riding around barnsley on bikes with no helmets, no number plate, tax or insurance is astounding. Who will be the first to complain when one of those kids kills someone?

Reply Posted by isa no nowt on Friday August 16 2013 at 20:14
as thay say in Barnsley hear all say nowt that's the cowards way some one knows the gun man. speak up it could be your door next or child

Reply Posted by Swifty on Friday August 16 2013 at 21:36
Ozzy welcome to Barnsley where the children have more direction than there parents.

Respect costs nothing. Manners even less. Unfortunately we are left with a third generation of Scutter parents. The real hard working people of Barnsley will understand my point. The remainder are in that group.