Town's Retired Miners Set To Lose Out

Thursday August 15 2013

Mick Clapham Mick Clapham

IT'S thought hundreds of retired miners in Barnsley will lose out on free coal for life and have their pensions cut after UK Coal went into administration.

They're among thousands across the country who will no longer receive their annual fuel concession. It's also thought they will have their pensions cut by ten per cent.

The move has been made by the Pension Protection Fund to guarantee the jobs of workers still with UK Coal.

The decision will affect anyone who worked in the mining industry after privatisation on January 1, 1995.

Ex-miner and MP Mick Clapham believes a significant number of people in town will be affected and said they will lose out on about four tonnes of coal per year.

"It would be a bitter blow for them, particularly with this period of austerity," he said.

"It will be an added cost and these people may find it hard to come to terms with decreasing incomes. My view is it should be maintained, it's their right and was written into miners' contracts."

What do you think to this? Are you an ex-miner? Have your say below.

Reply Posted by flapper on Thursday August 15 2013 at 14:10
It a sad carry on with the mining indusrty. Im not sure about the decreasing incomes part. My dad had an NUM pension,and each time he had a little rise his benefits went down,so his income never actually got any better over years. He died with a mining related illness,so it seemed unfair that he never really benefitted from his pension. He was always poor,and I mean poor.

Reply Posted by sandra on Friday August 16 2013 at 10:46
get hanky art.

Reply Posted by Don McCarron on Thursday August 15 2013 at 14:38
I'm an ex-miner and I now help ex-miners recover their losses for having been mis-sold a pension when they should have hung on to their Miners Pension Scheme pension. Five-figure sums aren't unusual. I'd advise anyone who was talked into switching pensions to claim.

Reply Posted by sharon orme on Monday August 19 2013 at 21:59
Could you please advise.. My partner was made redundant in 1993 from Littleton colliery in the midlands and had paid into the mps for 16 years, he was advised to move his pension when he was made redundant and has since move it two more times as he was advised to move it, he is now 51 years old could he still claim compensation? And would he be able to move his pension back to the miners pension scheme?

Reply Posted by sandra on Thursday August 15 2013 at 14:40
My husband was a miner and was taxed while he was working and is taxed yet again on his pension, bloody stinks

Reply Posted by Mark on Thursday August 15 2013 at 19:06
Well Sandra, that is how it works for everyone. You may like to note that your husband would not have paid any tax on his pension contributions. Consequently, he would presumably have received twenty five per cent of his pension pot tax free and then paid tax on the remainder of his pension income. That is how it works and he has not suffered in any way when compared to other people.

Reply Posted by flapper on Thursday August 15 2013 at 14:59
Thats how it is for everyone sandra. You pay tax on your wages, pay your way through life and with what little is left hopefully you enter a pension scheme,which are now turning out to be a total rip off,but then you are taxed yet again on the pension. Where,s Robin Hood when we need him.

Reply Posted by Brian on Thursday August 15 2013 at 16:20
Are they still banging on about miners. its been over 20years now since the pits shut, your lucky to get what you get.

Reply Posted by Beep Beep on Thursday August 15 2013 at 16:31
To be fair I actually agree with Brian for once. My family were all miners right up to my dad. he was made redundant back in the 90's. he then went on to have a nice little part time office job until retirement. Him and my mum always had enough money and now they both have pensions, large savings account from his invested redundo, always a new car and when they had a mortgage it was for peanuts many years ago.They do not have gas and have always had their coal allowance, so small bills.
So the point is when ex miners whine about losing their money, just remember that they earned good wages for the time, got good redundancy packages and have some of the best pensions to date. Any who are now skint have brought it on themselves. They probably blew the lot on caravans, Spanish holidays and beer.
No sympathy. My sympathy is for the hardworking people currently struggling with badly paid jobs, no jobs, no pensions or as with some professionals ( nurses, police etc) having had their pensions completely raided and pay cuts.

So yes miners get over it an move on.

Reply Posted by flapper on Thursday August 15 2013 at 16:53
Take your point BeepBeep, but not all the miners were able to do what your mam and dad did. Im glad for them. I doubt all your other family members could either, just think. My dad finished with cancer so he was poor, like I said,small pension that affected his sickness benefits. Have abit of understanding for those not as fortunate as your parents. I,m talking about the older miners pre-pit closures.

Reply Posted by Stevo on Thursday August 15 2013 at 17:26
"get over it and move on"?

What you seem to forget my learned friend is that this once proud town was built on the blood, sweat and tears on Miners that toiled underground in hazardous conditions for relatively little money,many of which have died of mining diseases, not to mention the thousands that are blighted with the debilitating conditions that are Vibration White Finger and Industrial Deafness.

Many miners have already moved on, they had no choice in the matter.

I for one am very proud of the towns mining heritage and rightly so.

Reply Posted by flap per on Thursday August 15 2013 at 17:33
Well said.

Reply Posted by Malcolm Day on Thursday August 15 2013 at 18:10
Take a look at the miners struggle pics on facebook Miners strike 1984-85 those who want to move on let em they deny the heritage and history of miners and for what they once fought. What utter rot some people talk on here you Haven't got a clue.

Reply Posted by Cathy on Thursday August 15 2013 at 21:03
The 'old' miners never earned good money, worked to 65 and retired knackered for want of a better word.
My late father in law was a miner, when the second world war broke out he joined up and was a marine, he was at the D Day landings, he saw years of active war service. A brave courageous proud man as strong as an Ox. After the war he returned to the pits underground til he was 65. A quiet unassuming man, a brilliant sense of humour. Satisfied with his lot. Wrecked physically by years of toil but the heart of a lion.
I am very proud of my heritage.

Reply Posted by mick conway on Friday August 16 2013 at 10:43
Im glad why should the miners be a special case,they get everything for nowt thrown at them claim this claim that, pension here pension there. keep on sick since the strike,and never been sent for a work focus medical it stinks.

Reply Posted by Stevo on Friday August 16 2013 at 16:13
Funny thing jealousy isn't it?

I bet you are really jealous that MR X gets a pension of £150 a week for having Pneumoconiosis.
Or MR J who gets £200 a week pension for having Chronic Obstructive Pulmonary Disease (COPD).
Or MR H who gets £255 a week for having Miners Knee and Vibration White Finger.

Its nice for these people who get a lovely pension isn't it?

I'm sure they would rather be in full health wouldn't you?

Get a grip idiot, these miners have had their health ruined by the work they did down the mines and deserve every penny they can get.

Reply Posted by flapper on Saturday August 17 2013 at 08:22
99% are PILLOCKING on the band wagon

Reply Posted by x on Friday August 16 2013 at 10:58
unless you were a miner who worked underground for 8 hrs a day in appauling conditions,and had your health wrecked by those conditions then you need to keep your nasty comments to yourself,you probably dont have a clue what it is like to do 8hrs of hard physical labour, working in dangerous conditions slowly killing yourself with every breath you take,so show a bit of respect for the men and boys who slogged day in day out to keep our homes warm and provide the coal to keep us in power for all those years

Reply Posted by Brian on Saturday August 17 2013 at 09:33
The country is knacker by the billions of pounds stolen by the lazy piss head so called miners, Ive worked there ITS PISSBALL

Reply Posted by mea brussel on Saturday August 17 2013 at 19:48
Here is a rundown on people who get killed or badly injured during the course of there work,inclusive of past history.
Truck drivers.
Steel workers.
Police
pilots
fishermen
firemen
dockworker
shipbuilders
farmers
Asbestos factory workers
house builders
many many people end there lives through work
related disease. illness accident
every day including miners.
But the way everyone is talking only miners die in barnsley from working

Reply Posted by sid on Saturday August 17 2013 at 19:58
Calm down Mea,and stop being skitty. You don't need to tell anyone about the risks that other workers endure. WE ALREADY KNOW LUV. The item,s about miners, hence the posts on miners. If the item was about any of your listed jobs,the posts would have been about that. Your no brainer than anyone else so you don't need to post the bleed in' obvious. Soz,like some of your other posts,but there's no need for the pitmen bashing, Maggie did enough of that dear.

Reply Posted by mae brussel on Monday August 19 2013 at 01:19
No she didnt.
I despised thatcher but she only set the seed the miners did the rest with there so called n u m.
If you lived in the 60s you would know that these people were allways on strike.
Car workers....steelworkers..miners...
Dockers...factories.... where is all this industry now ...
India.china korea.
If you want to lay blame later in years
you can blame thatcher for one thing.
Selling council houses to the miners for peanuts and the fell hook line and sinker into there own trap.
Go to work and pay your mortgage
or lose your house and that is what divided the miners into the haves and have not.
They were allowed to buy cars with no deposits and they did and got trapped in the money web.
So sid dont give me this clap trap about you know it all you know f all

Reply Posted by mae brussel on Monday August 19 2013 at 01:22
And dont call me luv or dear you may be surprised that is if you read my posts which i sincerely doubt

Reply Posted by cabbage on Monday August 19 2013 at 10:32
i do and da talks some rite shite

Reply Posted by sid on Monday August 19 2013 at 12:54
Cudn,t have put it better myself cabbage. But Mae,s only a sprout.

Reply Posted by sid on Monday August 19 2013 at 08:17
Put it this way, I, and everyone els knows everything you're spouting. Your patronising everyone. You don't know anymore than anyone else. Your good at " statin the bleed in obvious" Thatcher did bash the miners. And again,the item was about miners,so that's why its attracted the posts. You, used it just to bash them again. We know there other jobs just as dangerous,of course we do. We have eyes like you. I did live in the 60,s, so I know. And maybe yes,in Barnsley only miners died from work related illness, ermm,maybe because it's a mining area? After all,they're not going to die while out fishing are they. And what would surprise me about your posts if I read them? Of course I do luv,that's what I,be commented on them. Just remember,some of us on here are well educated. Guess what, I even know Latin!!!! Eeeeee Barnsley eh? Whoda thort it.

Reply Posted by young sprout on Monday August 19 2013 at 17:33
So, you know latin. I'm impressed. Just a shame you do not know how to write in English!

Reply Posted by sid on Monday August 19 2013 at 18:41
You should be impressed sprout. Latin is impressive. I also got top grades in English,but as Mae wasnt using full and correct English,I thought it best to use appropriate script back that's all. Then surely Mae could understand.

Reply Posted by mae brussel on Tuesday August 20 2013 at 02:05
Sid.
Im so glad that you can speak latin.
It will come in handy when you go to see the pope you will be able to translate what hes saying. to any barnsley people who may visit the vatican city.
You will also know what a blackbird is in latin or a marigold........i dont think.
People in england call a blackbird a blackbird and a marigold a marigold .

Reply Posted by sue on Tuesday August 20 2013 at 21:19
And people in england call a plonker a plonker. PLONKER

Reply Posted by mustapha phag on Tuesday August 20 2013 at 02:16
I think mae is saying culus pedere

Reply Posted by sid on Tuesday August 20 2013 at 09:37
I think Mae is a birdbrain. Lost the point over bashing the miners and their canaries,and has now gone all religious. Mae should join twitter.

Reply Posted by mae brussel on Tuesday August 20 2013 at 11:44
Sid i think you havnt got the point.
You come out with so much rubbish and you anchor on to people and come out with ignorant stuff.
You are able to speak latin so why didnt you respond to mustaphas comment .
I can do latin and fluent german .
I would have definately responded to that comment

Reply Posted by sid on Tuesday August 20 2013 at 12:44
No Mae,its you who has LOST the point. You were bashing the miners and being patronising to all who didn,t have your view. As for responding to Mustaphas comment,you accuse me of anchoring on to other peoples post,s, yet you have now invited me to do just that. I dont agree with your point of view with the miners and I do think you patronise others. When posting your views,you have to accept that they are YOUR views and that other people have thier own views too,and talking down to others will not make them take your view. We have to accept others and just move on.

Reply Posted by craig on Tuesday August 20 2013 at 19:22
Once again the caring side of society shines through - I'm alright jack sod the rest.

Reply Posted by Phil on Tuesday August 20 2013 at 19:33
I worked for British Coal for nearly 20 years. The pension I get was partially funded by me! 5% of my wage was taken to enable me to live comfortably! British Coal contributed 5.5% along side my contribution. I still paid National Ins and will benefit from a dull state pension. So I paid into the MPS and into the state scheme. The number of credits you had to accumulate for a full state pension was 44! That's 44 years full contributions to receive the state pension! I'm 64 next month and work full time and I'm still paying my National Ins contributions. However, today, the number of credits you need to accumulate for the full state pension is 30 credits! I guess I've accumulated 48 credits over my working life! Why do I still have to so this! SO DON'T ON ABOUT THE MINERS HAVING THEIR PENSIONS CUT! The little man deserves every penny he has ever worked for! You morons!!

Reply Posted by dene on Tuesday August 20 2013 at 23:49
Wish we got what the miners did my Husband worked for a firm that mended lorries so when there was no work for them there was no work for him,he worked some time 12 hr +Sat and Sunday to make a living, my kids were call black legs at school we did not get free food, or hand outs .... my Husband lost his job like many of the miners he did not get what there got in redundancy money,and he got white finger, +prostate Cancer, My brother in-law made redundant from the mine left on the Friday started work on the Monday as a Post Man, got a good wage from that, he was laughing all the way to the bank ,

Reply Posted by sue on Wednesday August 21 2013 at 00:06
Take your point dene, but its sad when your brother in law got better wages as a postman than when he was a miner. You can't blame the miners for fighting for their rights tho, everyone would if they could. If your hubby had been a miner he would have fought with them most likely.Sorry about your hubby,we have cancer in our family.

Reply Posted by once a miner on Thursday August 22 2013 at 22:15
When I was at school teachers said if you dont knuckle down you will end up darn pit, mining was last resort, so why does majority on here want everything the miners have, mining my only option if you wernt a miner your choice get over it you jealous morons

Reply Posted by lol on Sunday August 25 2013 at 16:22
you went in the pits when you couldnt read and write Thick Ossss

Reply Posted by Stacey on Friday August 23 2013 at 08:17
To say some are from barnsley I find your comments disgusting u should be ashamed my dads a ex minor and just been redundant from the mining industry an you don't at all get a good redundancy package or a good pension either so I think u made a mistake their and my dads worked from been 15 and is now 54 and left maltby colliery less than 7 month ago due to it closing and by the way the way I know lots of ex minors with caravans at resorts in uk simply because the carnt afford abroad once twise a year but he's done evrything in his power to make sure all his 7 kids have had a good life when working in the mines and am proud to call myself a miners daughter it's just a shame people have to be like this over minors dont mean their no different cose their fighting for what is owed and rightfully earned after all could u work 12 hours 6 days a week without seeing light no were for a break not Evan a call or txt some remarks u wanna be ashamed your from society or an my dad has 1 caravan!!!

Reply Posted by flapper on Friday August 23 2013 at 12:17