Tackling Teenage Pregnancy Should Take Priority, Says Councillor

Friday August 16 2013

Sharron Brook Sharron Brook

TACKLING teenage pregnancy should take priority over smoking cessation services, according to a councillor.

Sharron Brook said the money spent on stopping people smoking was 'horrendous'.

"Smoking has been a priority for the last seven years," she said. "If we haven't achieved anything in that time, I don't think we will achieve anything in the future. The money that's been spent on it is horrendous."

She said more should be done to warn of the dangers of drinking alcohol while pregnant and said drink led to teenage pregnancies and caused foetal alcohol syndrome (FAS) - a pattern of mental and physical defects in a foetus.

It causes permanent central nervous system damage resulting in poor memory, attention deficit and impulsive behaviour. The condition can also predispose a person to mental health problems and drug addiction.

Cllr Brook, Labour member for Dearne South, told Barnsley Council's overview and scrutiny committee that alcohol and pregnancy should take priority over other health issues.

"Teenage pregnancies and alcohol use should be at the top of our list. Alcohol is what causes young women to say yes when they should be saying no; when drink is in, wits are out."

In Barnsley, the teenage pregnancy rate is 44.1 per cent per 1,000 population. This is set against 33.8 per cent per 1,000 for Yorkshire and Humber and 30.7 per cent per 1,000 for England.

Cllr Brook said: "We're in a position where children are having children. I don't know who is the mum and who is the child. Unless we stop the cycle we could go on forever."

What do you think? Have your say below.

Reply Posted by jd on Friday August 16 2013 at 15:13
Totally agree.. far too many teenagers getting pregnant now. Anyone would think it was fashion. There still only babies there selves!

Reply Posted by mae brussel on Saturday August 17 2013 at 01:29
As we are back on the statistic bandwagon
if we are talking about 44.1%per 1000 population of barnsley .
Is this the whole population including.
Men woman and old age pensioners.
Or are we discussing 13 to 18 or 16 to 18 or 18 to 19. Because as a statistic if. You are talking 17 to 19.......44 people in that age range out of 1000 is not many at all its perfectly legal perfectly normal and has nothing whatsoever to do with fuddy duddy councillors non of there business whatsoever....they did it in there teens snd dont let anyone fool you into believing they were virgin marys....wit there cockamamy statistics

Reply Posted by mae brussel on Saturday August 17 2013 at 01:39
Also while your pulling barnsley teens down with your phenominal statistics. the
good old old U S ofA 7 years ago was 71%
Per 1000

Reply Posted by rog on Saturday August 17 2013 at 09:52
In reality NONE of this should be down to local councils..I pay my £1500 council tax for bins, roads, police etc..not to tell stupid chavys not to smoke and not to get pregnant.

Reply Posted by Thomas on Saturday August 17 2013 at 10:34
I agree rog. The council should concentrate on providing basic services for residents of the Borough. However, they are not content with that, they want to interfere in all manner of things that should not unduly concern them. They simply look to empire build and that is what the government are attempting to stop by reducing the monies available to them.

Reply Posted by sid on Saturday August 17 2013 at 10:35
Here here. Council shunt av to be involved, the parents must be in charge of their own teenagers problems,not the rest of us. I got a good clout for smoking as a kid, never allowed to smoke, the clout was always a risk and it was just easier to not bother. Don't even get me started on the teenage sex thing, by god,I would have been in big trouble. My parents had to get wed and they didn't want the same for me. Its all too easy and too soft fro kids now.

Reply Posted by sid on Saturday August 17 2013 at 10:45
I'm having a rant now. My ex neighbour let her 16 year old sleep with his little girlfriend! Her reasoning was, that they'll do it anyway so I,d rather it be at home so I know what's gong on!!!! Beggers belief. Same thing with drinking. They were drinking lager and spirits at a recent barbeque. They said they were watching them and that it was OK s,long as they could keep their eye on them! Result! Abortion at 16. But its OK, the parents helped them. Oh yes they did from the start to the god awful end. The kids hate each other now. What the hell could the council do about that? Don't bother asking the parents,they're educated,clean living and both got brilliant jobs. It seems there's no hope.

Reply Posted by ???????? on Saturday August 17 2013 at 17:56
hear we go again judging people EVERY ONE MAKES MISTAKES IN LIFE its how we deal with them that matters and how we put things right and I don't mean with abortion

Reply Posted by sid on Saturday August 17 2013 at 18:41
I worded the post wrong maybe ?????. I don't think its OK to abort the baby, the parents did. And as for mistakes? Letting kids sleep together and get drunk isn't a mistake is it? Its bad parenting. The point is,no matter how much the council throw at teenage pregnancies,they have no input on parenting I,m afraid. The funds should be used better.

Reply Posted by ??????? on Saturday August 17 2013 at 19:01
my comment wasn't a reply to your comment sid it was just what I think and I agree that funds should be put to better use and I agree that the parents should do more in some cases but I had sex loads of times when I was a teen but I never got a girl pregnant as I used contraception most of the time but it could easily have happened to me and I couldn't have blamed my parents as I new what I was doing but if it had have happened I would have seen it as a blessing and been a good farther

Reply Posted by sid on Saturday August 17 2013 at 19:07
Same here,we was just as randy eh? Difference is we had to sneak it. Kids get parents permission nowadays, hence the sad endings for some of them. Booze,baby's,weed? Ah well, it keeps Jeremy kyle in a job.

Reply Posted by hannah on Saturday August 17 2013 at 21:18
Harking on about the good ol days when no one did anything like this ... mmmm I seem to remember there were homes where girls went to have their baby and get them taken away...the difference was it was all hush hush... now women and girls have a choice in the matter . However I do not condone kids having kids I was classed as a daft young mum at 19 and was in the teen statistics I had my own house a job n a partner. Back in the good ol days it was rather common for women to get married and have babies at this age and younger. Its not just young mums that are the problem in this town quite a few parents need educating on behaviour and how their children should act...its nt kids raising kids thats the issue its chavs raising chavs there is no ambition anymore some parents just dont push their children to be better which is very sad x

Reply Posted by Beep Beep on Saturday August 17 2013 at 22:27
Hannah - yes it is uneducated people raising more of the same and sadly a lot of them are the unemployed and unemployable.
Yes we have all been silly teenagers but most of us had parents who kept us in line most of the time and parents cannot be bothered to do that today.
The idea that a local councillor has suggested doing away with the anti smoking funding is absolutely ridiculous but then looking at her teeth she is probably a smoker.
I agree with the comments about statistics - they can and often are manipulated.
The problems we are having with society will change over time it is just a shame that so many young girls today are talked into having unprotected sex with boys who have and will never have any prospects, and will never be able to support a child physically, emotionally or financially. After all all the blame goes to the girls and really it is the fault of the randy lads who won't cover up.

Reply Posted by rog on Sunday August 18 2013 at 09:44
You only have to walk thru Barnsley town centre, and play 'spot the chavs not pushing a pram' They have no ambition, most are unemployable, couldn't be bothered at school, then expect the rest of us to pay for their offspring and give them somewhere to live, then pay for their drink and drugs. Not on single political party will say enough is enough.

Reply Posted by Marie on Sunday August 18 2013 at 21:51
Gp surgeries and their receptionists need to be re trained and on board. I have known my teenage daughters try to refill their prescription s for contraception and been refused appointments. This has resulted in my ringing back and demanding a prescription or appointment. Not all teenage girls are lucky enough to have good relations with their parents and will accept what people in authority tell them.

Reply Posted by jill on Sunday August 18 2013 at 22:18
Still nothing to do with the council. If they don't want babies its no ones responsibility except the people having sex. Yes theres problems,but hey that's life. And why should anyone having sex have anything to do with the council? If the kids are grown up enough to be having sex,they're grown up enough to look after themselves surely. At 16, in the 70,s I was , and I did. Told my mam when I,d been on the pill for a year. Its more open now thank god,I can't see why there are so many problems,there's more sex education etc. If I had got pregnant, it would have been my fault,not the flipping councils? They empty our bins an stuff don't they?

Reply Posted by flapper on Monday August 19 2013 at 07:59
They should be forced to wear a giant plaster on it

Reply Posted by lol on Monday August 19 2013 at 12:23
do they make them that big,and can you buy them from BOOTS

Reply Posted by jill on Monday August 19 2013 at 09:39
In your mothers case, yes. Idiot

Reply Posted by flapper on Wednesday August 21 2013 at 19:37
OH

Reply Posted by Phantom on Thursday August 22 2013 at 20:10
Does teenage pregnancy cause death? err no! So why the hell should it be a priority over something that does??
Also the consensual age is 16, which correct me if I'm wrong, but that is a teenager. So is 17,18 and 19. So if they are old enough to do it at those ages then they are old enough to deal with the consequences. I suggest councillors, MPs and the government stop trying to run people's lives and start fixing the country!!

Reply Posted by sarah on Thursday August 22 2013 at 20:42
How about concentrating on the lives of your voters Mrs Brook. Some people are stupid enough to vote for you to help them with their day to day lives and all you do is ignore them never mind the rest of barnsley DO YOUR FLAMING JOB RIGHT UP HERE FIRST sorry rant over!!

Reply Posted by test on Thursday August 22 2013 at 22:58
I have recently started a website, the info you provide on this web site has helped me greatly. Thank you for all of your time & work.

Reply Posted by anorak on Friday August 23 2013 at 16:33
The Council cannot control ovaries!!!!

Reply Posted by Benny Clegg on Thursday September 5 2013 at 07:47
Flapper well said i must agree.

Reply Posted by wjcoipiemwt@gmail.com on Friday October 25 2013 at 12:35
While this hunting is undoubtedly is the most solemn time of the year, when bathing in the northern reaches of silence, not to get off, but he had heard a crash of drums, flags with the wind whirring.