Enough Properties For Those Who Want To Downsize, Say Berneslai Homes

Wednesday August 14 2013

Enough properties available as bedroom tax bites Enough properties available as bedroom tax bites

THERE are enough council properties for people who want to downsize to avoid paying so-called 'bedroom tax', the chief executive of Berneslai Homes has said.

Up to 15 per cent of the 2,700 affected by tax - a reduction in housing benefit for those in council or social housing deemed to have a spare bedroom - have asked to move to a smaller property and 256 people have already moved.

Helen Jaggar, chief executive of Berneslai Homes, said: "There's a bit of a myth that there aren't enough properties around. We don't feel there's an issue of not being able to rehouse people who have put themselves forward.

"People may have to look at moving away from the area where they live but if they're prepared to be flexible we're managing to meet the demand at the moment."

This month, seven cases of people in arrears will be heard at Barnsley Magistrates' Court, and another 100 in September.

But Helen said the likely outcome would be a suspended possession order, which would give people another chance to pay.

The latest figures for July show 617 people (23 per cent) have paid their rent in full and 204 people (seven per cent) have not paid anything.

The other 1,879 affected have paid something or may have payment arrangements in place.

Reply Posted by sue wood on Wednesday August 14 2013 at 10:50
Lmao! Not enough if your downsizing to a 1 bedroom with 2 .dogs......why should people hv to move cos of this tax! Or get rid of theor pets who are part of their family! No thy shldnt.and there isnt enough flats/ houses rubbish! Get a grip councils

Reply Posted by jd on Wednesday August 14 2013 at 12:36
its not councils who are doing this so how come there getting blame its the government !!!!!!!!!!

Reply Posted by Swampy on Wednesday August 14 2013 at 14:53
Get rid of the dogs then idiot.
Get a grip thi sen if tha dunt wanna pay bedroom tax and ask for a one bedder ya scratter

Reply Posted by Moe on Tuesday August 20 2013 at 22:59
The above comment by swampy should read the the comment correctley before giving such a statement

Reply Posted by Angie on Wednesday August 14 2013 at 11:31
I wonder if the bright spark that came up with this new way of getting our taxes would give up a house they'd lived in for forty years or so like a lot of these people.

Reply Posted by Stevo on Wednesday August 14 2013 at 16:34
Social Housing was originally intended for those in need, not for people to live in tax payer subsidised housing for life.

Reply Posted by Mark on Wednesday August 14 2013 at 16:48
You don't have to give your house up - just don't expect me to pay for it.

Reply Posted by Stevo on Wednesday August 14 2013 at 17:39
My sentiments exactly.

So there ARE enough smaller properties to move into, then I would suggest that the people who are moaning about having to pay the bedroom tax, get yourself into the housing office and ask for a smaller property.

Problem solved!

Ooh I don't want to live in THAT area, Ooh there isn't enough room for my 18 dogs, its too far away from bingo...

People in Social Housing should be very thankful that they have a roof over their heads and have massively subsidised rents care of you and me the Taxpayer.

Reply Posted by owd fred on Friday August 16 2013 at 20:22
Hey up Mark, tha can cum and live here owd lad, I got three spare bedrooms, as long as tha dunt mind been in wi me fish tanks, you waint bother the fish

Reply Posted by Alex on Wednesday August 21 2013 at 15:10
That bright spark will have their second home near the place they work (Parliament), and the tax payers paying for that, as well as their expenses, which we don't get, no matter how far away we live from work.

Reply Posted by Swifty on Wednesday August 14 2013 at 11:43
Downsizing, Bedroom Tax, call it what you want it's about giving up your home to thousands of Europeans tat are already here and comming from Jan 2014.

Before some says I'm racist I'm not but the way the goverments are treating British People than time will tell.

As for the Labour controlled Barnsley Council and the National Labour Party are silent on this "Bedroom Tax" they are allowing the coalition Goverment to do things they would not dare do.Yet are sitting back thinking Labour are going to walk the next General Election.

Well I've got news they are wrong and the people will not forget when the day of Voting comes along.

Finally which of the main Political parties actually all included. Stand up for the working class, disabled, unemployed. And hard working families.

Ask you self not one.

We need a new Party to stand up for us not the Bankers and Greedy MP,s in parliament today.

Reply Posted by Stevo on Wednesday August 14 2013 at 18:06
Labour will NOT win the next election.

Milliband is as charismatic as a wet haddock and they have no policies of their own.

They do not retrain true to their original ideals of being a "party for the workers" and are Tory Lite.

It is the beloved Labour party who also conspired with the Tories and actually voted the bedroom tax in with very little abstainers.

None of the main parties stand for the average working person.

Yes you are right, we need a new party, a radical organisation that will heal the ills of our country, just don't expect this to happen in my lifetime or yours.

Reply Posted by Alex on Wednesday August 21 2013 at 15:14
I think most people will agree with that Swifty. I think some of the Trade Unions of a similar mind.

Reply Posted by madge on Wednesday August 14 2013 at 11:52
sorry people i know im not going to be very popular for saying this,but i am one of those affected by the bedroom tax,i have had to downsize to a 1 bed property,and to be able to do so iv'e had to move out of the village iv'e lived in for years and away from my family.i totally agree with people having to downsize out of under occupied properties,why should people be allowed to stay in properties that are too big for their needs when there are families waiting for homes,but whatever the rights and wrongs of this bedroom tax the fact is there ar'nt enough smaller properties,and its no good people spouting off the same old get a job statement,when the fact is a lot of the people affected by this are people who are working on minimum wage and in receipt of some kind of benefit.

Reply Posted by mark on Wednesday August 14 2013 at 16:53
Strange that. Helen Jagger the Chief Executive of Berneslai Homes says in the article above that there are currently an adequate number of smaller properties for people who want one. Who do I believe, you or her, as you both can't be right.

Reply Posted by king louis on Friday August 16 2013 at 17:46
she comments relating to any empty housing anywhere in the UK not Barnsley even the scum landlords who have converted a squalid terraced house into four bedsits... Watch that women she is tricky (read every word as she is clever)

Reply Posted by ck on Wednesday August 14 2013 at 12:50
Why do people think they have a god given right to free housing - you don't, it;s a privilege which we should be grateful for not take for granted.
I bought a house and due to circumstances beyond my control had to relocate and downsize - did I want to move from my community, my home - no, but I had to - why - because that's life!
2 bedroom house for your dogs! Are you actually for real!

Reply Posted by Stevo on Wednesday August 14 2013 at 16:43
I Agree...

A large majority of social housing here in Barnsley were only built for the short term and many of them were built of NSC / Non Standard Construction, that's concrete and breeze blocks to you and me, and it was originally said that the houses would be occupied for a maximum of a couple of years.

The ones in New Lodge have been up 60 odd years now though.

The government in their infinite wisdom tell us that people "have the right to be housed", doesn't work for homeless people though does it?

Social Housing tenants should be made to pay full market rental value, they wouldn't be moaning about the bedroom tax if they were made to pay £170 a week for a breeze block or concrete slabbed house on New Lodge then would they?

As for the dogs comment, if she has to move then get rid of the dogs, simple.

Reply Posted by ET on Wednesday August 14 2013 at 13:03
Who will reap the benefits of these sky high court costs for these cases if the forgone conclusions are suspended possessions. Surely the reason why most of them are there in the first place is lack of money, so whose fat greasy fingers will get this money, not the poor that is for sure.

Reply Posted by Mark on Wednesday August 14 2013 at 16:57
I suspect that many of the tenants going to court will quite simply have chosen to spend their rent money on some other frivolity.

Reply Posted by Stevo on Wednesday August 14 2013 at 17:44
Of course its a win win situation for the local authority, double bubble isn't it...

TENANT of said social housing cant afford bedroom tax, tenant goes to court and gets fined £100 + £50 costs, tenant will STILL have to pay their bedroom tax UNLESS tenant gets of his/her arse and gets a job or moves to a smaller house.

Ok I may sound rather blasé on the bedroom tax subject, but I firmly believe that any disabled persons should be fully exempt from the bedroom tax and rightly so in my humble opinion.

Reply Posted by Ackerman on Wednesday August 14 2013 at 18:16
My mate been on Homeswapper for 4 months now, he is wanting to downgrade from a 2 bed flat to a 1 bed flat. Guess what he cant move as no available properties for him to move into. so he is stuck with paying the bedroom tax until he can move. People can say for him to get a job etc etc but he is 59 year old with health problems and with no jobs for fit young people what chance does he stand.

Reply Posted by Swifty on Wednesday August 14 2013 at 18:44
I think the people of Barnsley are falling for the Tory propaganda. You are been reeled in like little fish. Got help you

Reply Posted by Charles on Wednesday August 14 2013 at 18:59
What propaganda?

Reply Posted by Stevo on Wednesday August 14 2013 at 19:37
The Tory propaganda machine, the spin, the P.R, the lies, the rhetoric , that not only the Tories themselves but their collaborators such as the Sun, Mail and Independent churn out on a daily basis.

do you think the "benefit scroungers" comment was just plucked from thin air?

Twas coined by a Tory my friend.

Ostracise the benefit claimants by calling them scroungers, make them pay bedroom tax, get the poor arguing against the poor, lets get change the rules so Atos and the DWP can quite literally get away with murder, lets get the egotistical sycophants from the Job Centre to sanction people benefits if they are one second late for an appointment, lets get behind Fracking and ruin the environment, lets get the country moving by building a new high speed rail network that will bring nothing to the north of the country.

Lets cosy up to big business and keep our claret supping cohorts and their business interests in clover, all the while the people struggle to survive by working a day here and a day there on zero hours contracts and have to rely on food banks,let the poor starve, they are poor because Tory policy dictates they must be kept poor and subservient to stop them marching to parliament with their pitchforks.

Tory policy is the biggest form of "social propaganda" since the time of Goebbels, if you can not see it then you must be deaf, blind and daft.

Reply Posted by owd fred on Friday August 16 2013 at 20:26
Hey up Stevo I think I love thee, in a blokey kind of way

Reply Posted by Charles on Friday August 16 2013 at 22:32
What a load of 'tosh'

Reply Posted by Stevo on Saturday August 17 2013 at 13:14
OOps I forgot you were a Tory supporter Charles.

Reply Posted by Becks on Wednesday August 14 2013 at 23:11
Makes me laugh how people can actually be annoyed at bedroom tax! If you're not filling the property that we (taxpayers) are paying for you to stay in then move!! Agreed disabled/ill health should be excluded but bedroom tax or no bedroom tax you're still paying less than the rest of us owning or renting private property! Get a job like the bloody rest of us if you don't like it! Rant over!

Reply Posted by Maz on Saturday August 17 2013 at 16:57
Exactly Becks!

Reply Posted by Rebecca on Thursday August 15 2013 at 08:47
did anyone watch benefits britain 1949? Count yourselves lucky that your not facing them conditions and that labour made it far too easy for you all to sit on the dole and live rent free.

Reply Posted by Rebecca on Thursday August 15 2013 at 08:49
Or at 60 p/w. how many other houses in barnsley can you get for £240 a month? exactly! so asking for an extra few quid for your spare room is nothing, unless your willing to come let a homeless person take up that room?

Reply Posted by king louis on Friday August 16 2013 at 17:52
you didn't believe those lies did you? compared to modern day they would get less benefit only £27 per week in today's money and they should be able to pay £80 per week rent and live paying all todays bills and have change????? out of £27 what a load of tosh that programme was..

Reply Posted by beep beep on Thursday August 15 2013 at 11:49
Why call it bedroom tax? That is a complete misnomer.

It is a reduction in housing allowance subject to you living in a house that is too big for your needs. (Pets not included).

people in social housing should be grateful but they are not they are greedy and selfish and think they deserve to be treated like the workers of this country. However these people do not contribute as workers do so they should just shut up and get on with it.

Reply Posted by x on Friday August 16 2013 at 17:57
becks instead of concentrating on the tiny fraction of what your taxes go to help have a good hard think about what else yours and my taxes are being used for,keeping people living a damn good life in prison for one with the security of 3 meals a day a garanteed roof over their heads god knows how many things that people like you think benefit claiments shouldn't be allowed, things you class as luxuries for anyone not working.you tell me becks why should a criminal have a better standard of living than someone who's struggling to live on benefits through no fault of their own all thanks to our taxes

Reply Posted by Zoe on Friday August 16 2013 at 18:06
It's still less than what workin people have to pay, I really don't get why people are moanin! They still get most of the rent paid for them! I understand there's some exception of people who can't work n wanna move but the majority just wanna live in a free house! What about us workers who managed to not have kids in our teens and get jobs to pay for a mortgage? We have to pay out £500 a month on new house when some of em r given away, where's the fairness in that?!

Reply Posted by becky on Friday August 16 2013 at 18:34
I don't know how people dare complain about how much benefit they are getting!! Because lets face it, that's what you are all doing! If you don't like how much benefits you are receiving go out and get a job. Be thankful we have the benefits system in place.

Reply Posted by x on Friday August 16 2013 at 18:39
im not saying its fair zoe. it just annoys me how people only concentrate on benefit claiments and forget about other things that our taxes are used for,some of which i as a tax payer would not pay into if i had my way, it is actually only a very small amount of our taxes used for benefit claiments

Reply Posted by Jayne on Friday August 16 2013 at 19:03
Nicely put Steve. I like people who talk sense. Firstly the lady who is moaning about no rooms for her dogs. What a complete and utter insult on the hard working people of this country. I do not get up at 3 on a sat and sun morning, not get any quality time with my children to go out and do a 12 hour shift to keep your flaming dogs love. As for people moaning about paying towards your rent in a larger property...... Welcome to the real wold folk, nothing is free. People have had things handed to them on a plate by the last government and are just going to have to realise things are going to change wether you like it or not. Deal with it and stop moaning. You have a roof over your head and a warm bed at night, all the while you don't lift a finger for it. Not a bad life I would say. I believe someone mentioned people on low incomes, am I right in assuming they get working or child tax credits. Is that not meant to make there income up to a certain level. So there ya go then, unless you want money and your rent paid while people who are not entitled to it just pay full and you don't. My point is low income or no income, you are doing ok, stop moaning and pay up. I have to

Reply Posted by Chris on Friday August 16 2013 at 19:05
I think that its about time all skets with kids living of the system get the boot any male who wants a council house gets nothing a bird as a kid the get house for free money for sitting on the arses and any man even if they work cant get a council house full stop IT STINKS

Reply Posted by donna on Friday August 16 2013 at 19:51
Can't believe she expects people to move from their friends and family, to loose their support network. She needs to get a grip on reality. Stupid woman makes my blood boil and this so call tax doesn't even affect me but I know people who it does and God forbid if it ever will effect her which u can guarantee it won't as she's paid thousands and will own a big posh New build somewhere. Well we pay your wages and Mrs and you should support people and help them to. Move to a property suitable for all their needs not just bedroom number.

Reply Posted by tony on Friday August 16 2013 at 20:15
what a load off bull shit i get a spaer £20 a week now i have only get £6 spare

Reply Posted by owd fred on Friday August 16 2013 at 20:19
I just dunt undertsand, it all they are trying to ge me art ot house Ive been living in for 40 years me garden is kept nice I dunt owe any rent just cos theres 3 spare rooms I cant afford to pay no moor tax, and if they move me where are me fish tanks gunna go, nubdy wants the fish, suppose I will have to eyte em all

Reply Posted by madge on Saturday August 17 2013 at 10:32
instead of moaning about other people jayne start and count yourself lucky that you are able to earn enough to pay your council tax.ask the genuine benefit claiments whose position they would rather be in,theirs or yours.its bloody laughable how people can be so easily brainwashed,untill this set of tossers got into power and decided to label the ones they despise the most as scroungers there was none of this,the poor stood together.and before anyone asks no i am not on benefits

Reply Posted by King Eric on Saturday August 17 2013 at 10:44

I am sick of supporting benefit scroungers (but not genuine cases) Why should I fund a lifestyle and housing for the workshy? Let us get it right,there is no such thing as a bedroom tax, it is just a stupid term put about by the left-wing media rags.

Reply Posted by Stevo on Sunday August 18 2013 at 12:33
"Let us get it right,there is no such thing as a bedroom tax, it is just a stupid term put about by the left-wing media rags."

Sh*t sticks though doesn't it KE, Has to be said that analogy is probably the best thing to come out of a Labour politicians gob in years.

"I would suggest that the majority of unemployed people are capable of working if they could motivate themselves to get of their backsides and look for work."

There are no jobs the Eastern Europeans have taken them all.

" One of the biggest problems in this town, sadly, is that too many of it's residents are uneducated and ignorant."

I like your new name, you change it more than your underpants, change it all you like but we all know who you are.

Reply Posted by King Eric on Sunday August 18 2013 at 12:51
Stevo: Having read your message I would like you to answer the following four questions;
1. Do you really think that I am a Labour politician?

2. Are you an east european, as you appear to have a job?

3. As this is the first time that I have put a message on here, why do you think I am someone else?

4. Are you some sort of 'know it all'?

Reply Posted by Stevo on Sunday August 18 2013 at 13:01
1 - Why on earth would you think I thought you were a Labour Politician, I was referring to the Labour Politician who coined the term "bedroom tax"

2 - Erm no I am a Barnsley lad and yes I have a job thanks.

3 - Because you "sound" like someone else by the way you write in your posts.

4- Yes I know everything about everything.

That alright for you?

Reply Posted by flapper on Saturday August 17 2013 at 11:16
stick um all on moors

Reply Posted by Jayne on Tuesday August 20 2013 at 22:52
No I don't think myself lucky that I can afford to pay my way in life, me and my hubby work damn hard to pay our bills, not go on holiday or drive nice cars, just to pay the bills, feed and clothe the kids. Also no I don't think myself lucky because If ever the time comes when I need help it won't be there for me because i have worked for a living so no madge i am one of the stupid ones who decided honesty and hard graft was the only way to get on in life. All the while i should have been knocking kids out and sat on my arse. It's not a matter of the poor sticking together. When people have worked and lost there jobs or become disabled then that's when the state should be there to support them but I am sorry madge but most of these people are not like that. Yes some are and the few will suffer for the many. I am surrounded by people who want something for nothing and believe they deserve it just for being alive. The only people who I sympathise with are the disabled and the elderly.

Reply Posted by doreen on Tuesday August 20 2013 at 23:13
I feel sorry for older people they have brought there kids up and left home, some have lived in the same house for over 40- 50 years or more, and at there age they can not get a job, and it does not matter who is is parliament, it will still be the same as a lot of things are said years before they come out , its like playing monopoly old Kent road, and may fair, the rich get richer and the not so well of got nothing ,,,, and why is everybody falling out with each other on here we should be standing side by side ,,,

Reply Posted by sue on Tuesday August 20 2013 at 23:25
Well said Dorreen. Its sad.

Reply Posted by Prudence on Wednesday August 21 2013 at 12:38
I agree with most of comments but our neighbours who do not work smoke their heads off & then complain about this tax. Don't they realise smoking 2 pkts of fags less a week will pay for what they've lost in benefits . She is also pregnant again so how can you sorry for people like that

Reply Posted by flapper on Sunday August 25 2013 at 11:55