MP Calls On Prime Minister To Reverse Planned Cuts

Monday August 19 2013

MP John Healey MP John Healey

AN MP has called on the Prime Minister to reverse planned cuts to miners’ pensions and fuel entitlements.

UK Coal recently went into administration and announced pensions will be transferred to the Pension Protection Fund (PPF).

"Miners currently working or younger than 60 will lose 10 per cent of their pension," said MP John Healey.

"Around 7,000 miners will be worse off because of these cuts."

The Concessionary Fuel Entitlement will be scrapped for miners who retired after privatisation in January 1995.

Mr Healey added: "The fuel entitlement is essential for many former miners, as well as many widows who rely on fuel to heat their homes.

"These cuts will make life even more difficult for the poorest communities in this country. The government should support mining communities like the Dearne, and ensure miners receive their full pension and the fuel entitlement."

Reply Posted by CAZ on Monday August 19 2013 at 15:12
Why don't the M.P's just cut their own throats, cos there is no way they can get this country out of the shit it's in!!!!

Reply Posted by sid on Monday August 19 2013 at 15:35
Glad John Healey has done it though. Its his job after all to speak for our area. Cant see him winning but he has to try. I must say I dont understand the logic of government though. Penny pinching like this yet giving away millions to overseas. I cant see the sense.

Reply Posted by sarah on Monday August 19 2013 at 16:57
How the heck are we suposed to move on as a town or village if people keep calling it a mining village.Barnsley was known as a market town long before the pits arrived and if john healey really wants to help the dearne area he should taking to task the corrupt councillors that are suposed to be helping instead if hindering the area.

Reply Posted by Beep beep on Monday August 19 2013 at 20:16
Sarah, I know what you mean about the mining tag. We cannot get rid of it. During the Thatcher fiasco and funeral, there were teenagers moaning about the lack of mining and they were not born when it happened.
The self same people are the ones unwilling to work. Yes mining was part of our past but I do not think that sticking pit wheels at Dodworth for example, paid for by the lottery, helps Barnsley one bit. We were a pit town and a minng town now we need to do anything else to get Barnsley a makeover.
BTW my ancestors were miners going back to the 16th century right up to my dad. You do not hear me whining about the lack of pits.

Reply Posted by sarah on Monday August 19 2013 at 20:30
beep beep unfortunatley that funeral took place in goldthorpe as you know and i live in highgate (some people seem to think wer the same) and my kids got some right stick at school because of it (they go to school in barnsley). I dont think many people in this village ever went near any kind of job never mind the pit i was laughing hysterically at the tv footage the crap that came out of some of the mouths. We need to put that to one side now and start thinking of the future and it seems even our mps are stuck in the past not helping us get investment even one of our farmers is trying to stop progress now but hes an ass anyway lol

Reply Posted by bone man on Saturday August 24 2013 at 22:21
Arthur scargil,

Reply Posted by Kev on Sunday August 25 2013 at 08:16
Won't be the first time miners pensions have been robbed ,take theMineworkers Pension scheme Consersatives robbed it years ago Labour said they would make sure we got it back if they got back in power guess what where still waiting that's befor Blair got in , I think up to last year 9 billion pounds had been robbed if you don't believe me just Google MPS surplus robbed

Reply Posted by x on Sunday August 25 2013 at 13:09
for me everyone is missing the point here regardless of what our opinions on the miners are arnt we missing the fact that yet again the tories are taking away from the ones who can least afford it, they mention that free word and people jump on the bandwagon of i don't get anything for nothing so why should anyone else.iv'e watched how people's attitudes have changed in my lifetime and i have to say,it scares the living daylites out of me when i think of what my grandkids are going to be like by the time they are adults