Fireman Hangs Up Helmet After 34 Years' Service

Thursday August 15 2013

A FIREMAN has finally hung up his helmet after 34 years' service.

Glyn Nuttall, 55, had his final shift at Dearne Fire Station at the end of July after a long career spent mostly at the former Brampton station, which burned down in 2011 after it was closed.

Originally from Kendray, Glyn has lived on Ardsley Road in Worsbrough Dale for nearly 30 years and said the camaraderie is what he will most miss from the fire service.

"It's been a great 34 years and the people I've worked with have been fantastic," he said. "It's been the best job in the world for me.

"I'll miss the camaraderie with the lads the most. Although we've quite a few women in the job now, it's still quite male-orientated with very male humour and lasses fit into that more than change things.

"When the bell goes and you go on that job, you always know you're in it together and your lives are in each others' hands. You can trust them to do anything - I'll miss that."

With more than 30 years' service, Glyn has seen his share of disasters but said a couple of fires stick in his mind.

"In about 1980 we were called to what was Woods' glassworks on Pontefract Road, which burned down, it was a massive fire," he said.

"And, about three years ago when I first moved to Dearne, hundreds of thousands of tyres went up. It's the variety of jobs that keeps it fresh for you."

Another thing that sticks in his mind is the reputed Brampton fire station ghost.

"When you used to be resting at night, on the middle floor, you could hear footsteps upstairs of someone running across the floor," he said.

"One of the lads once saw someone behind a glass door in the dorm while we were all downstairs having a cup of tea so we had to search the whole station but we never found anyone."

Reply Posted by Brian on Thursday August 15 2013 at 16:16
55!!! firemen get paid way too much, get back to work lad thas got another 10yr to do yet. lazy bugger

Reply Posted by Ackerman on Thursday August 15 2013 at 16:25
Enjoy your retirement Glyn, and a massive Thank you for your years of service to the people of Barnsley.

Reply Posted by chris on Thursday August 15 2013 at 16:38
I hope he enjoys his retirement.

Brian - firemen do a dangerous and very physical job. It is fine to retire at 55.

Reply Posted by Stevo on Thursday August 15 2013 at 17:13
I echo that sentiment Chris.

Reply Posted by Caz on Thursday August 15 2013 at 16:57
Retire at 55.. That's because the Fire service have a good pension scheme! Wish I Could retire at 55, but I'll probli have to work till I'm 70 in my job!... Good for you Glyn.. Still have plenty of years to enjoy your spare time.

Reply Posted by flapper on Thursday August 15 2013 at 17:06
54 years sleeping on job playing pool watching blueys i agree its the best job in the world

Reply Posted by flapper on Thursday August 15 2013 at 17:08
Last comment wasn,t me. Its lol....saddo

Reply Posted by flapper on Thursday August 15 2013 at 17:28
it wast me it was flapper

Reply Posted by Flapper. on Friday August 16 2013 at 13:29
im the real flapper son of flipper

Reply Posted by flapper on Friday August 16 2013 at 18:25
WELL FLIP OFF, you piss flapper.

Reply Posted by flapper on Saturday August 17 2013 at 11:09
firemans helmet is it same as a BELLEND

Reply Posted by jan on Friday August 16 2013 at 01:27
34 years in the same job, shift work, xmas's n new years days missed with the family, the unexpected extra time spent over your shift hours (well a fire doesn't go out because your shift has ended). the lives you'v saved.. and maybe some not so fortunate. you deserve a medal for your dedication to the borough of Barnsley and its residents. enjoy your time with your family now.. and WELL DONE

Reply Posted by King Fred on Friday August 16 2013 at 10:03
I only ever see firemen driving around town in their fire engines. They should try nursing. Now that is a tough job!

Reply Posted by mrx on Friday August 16 2013 at 10:05
Fireman just get the basic wage not overpayed

Reply Posted by Brian on Friday August 16 2013 at 13:29
hahaa thats the best joke ive heard all day.. mrx..

Reply Posted by flapper on Saturday August 17 2013 at 09:17
DOES DA MEAAN BURNING A OIL IN DI POCKET

Reply Posted by Wedge on Saturday August 17 2013 at 19:09
Hes a right nutter retiring at his age

Reply Posted by mandy on Sunday August 18 2013 at 12:38
my Dad also did his service partly at Brampton, I remember stories of the ghost.

Reply Posted by mandy on Sunday August 18 2013 at 12:41
and the people that are slating him for retiring at 55, you have no idea whats involved with his job, especially in the old days, good on him for sticking it out, well done Glyn.

Reply Posted by mae brussel on Monday August 19 2013 at 01:03
There are two types of tosser.
One who tossers pancakes the other
who writes crap on w a b