Barnsley Woman Jailed For Four Years

Tuesday August 6 2013

Mum-of-two jailed Mum-of-two jailed

A MUM-OF-TWO who took more than £250,000 from her family and friends has been jailed for four years at Sheffield Crown Court.

Denise Salter, 57, of Lidgett Lane, Pilley, Barnsley, was also ordered to pay £2,200 in compensation to one of her victims.

Her other victims - apart from her husband and sons - have been compensated by her former employer, Yorkshire Building Society, where she had worked as manager of the Sheffield branch.

Salter’s crimes stretched from 1993 to 2012.

Following a complaint from a customer in late October 2012, the building society’s fraud team began an internal investigation regarding Salter and uncovered a number of suspicious transactions.

The matter was then reported to South Yorkshire Police’s Economic Crime Unit, whose staff conducted a criminal investigation.

Salter was arrested at home in early December 2012 by ECU officers. She was later charged with 12 offences of theft, fraud and forgery.

Salter pleaded guilty to these offences at Sheffield Magistrates Court on July 9 and asked for three other similar offences to be taken into consideration.

At her sentencing on August 6, Judge Watson said Salter had pleaded guilty at the earliest opportunity, but that he couldn’t give her credit for good character because the crimes spanned over a 19-year period and she had committed some while employed as manager.

In total, the Yorkshire Building Society suffered an overall loss of £360,000.

Detective Sergeant Karl Saxton, from SYP’s Economic Crime Team, said: "We're satisfied that the conviction reflects the offending.

"Our enquiries identified that Salter used a substantial amount of money to help her sons, who had accumulated debts, and not to fund an extravagant lifestyle. Things escalated from there, leading to the betrayal of trust of her friends and family."

South Yorkshire Police is not seeking a confiscation order under the Proceeds of Crime Act as there are no available assets in this case.

Salter does, however, have a pension fund and the building society is taking steps to recover the money to compensate victims.

Reply Posted by anon on Tuesday August 6 2013 at 17:41
For all the years she was doing it, 4 years is not enough.

Reply Posted by blue on Tuesday August 6 2013 at 17:49
Discusting get her locked up.

Reply Posted by Grammarbot on Friday August 9 2013 at 10:45
*Disgusting

Reply Posted by Don on Tuesday August 6 2013 at 18:34
That amount of money and all she gets is four years haha no wonder this worlds in a state like it is four years discusting

Reply Posted by Brian on Tuesday August 6 2013 at 19:26
HAHA im soo glad justice has been served..

Reply Posted by mae brussel on Thursday August 8 2013 at 23:57
And the great train robbers. each got 30 years and each share of the booty wasnt that amount.
So if i nick £1000 from town hall would i get 4 days

Reply Posted by Lisa hardie on Friday August 9 2013 at 12:05
She's my cousin and for nearly 2 yrs we have been trying to prove she did that us for our mortgage and my elderly parents she's scum

Reply Posted by Bob on Saturday August 10 2013 at 07:52
He without sin casts the first stone

Reply Posted by Lisa on Sunday August 11 2013 at 10:20
What does that mean ?

Reply Posted by Lisa on Sunday August 11 2013 at 10:27
And yes bob or whatever your name is everyone as Sinned but most of us don't do it to our families or to old ladies with dementia so stick yer bible preaching were the sun don't shine heh wonder how you would feel if you had your mortgage fiddled with that you had to have your home repossessed because you couldn't afford to live there anymore

Reply Posted by P on Sunday August 11 2013 at 15:08
She stole this money to get her kids out of debt. Not to give them a lavish life style. What a load of crap Why were kids in debt. Spending too much livin a lavish lifestyle I suspect. Oh my god. Did she have a good time spending other people's money. Thieving cow. Deserves everything she gets. Feel sorry for the people who liked her. 57 year old too. Should know better. Rotten low life thief

Reply Posted by JW on Sunday August 11 2013 at 19:08
I know her. She didn't steal money in 93 for her kids. They were only in primary school, at least, back then. Primary school kids don't get in debt. Pack of lies.

Reply Posted by Bob on Sunday August 11 2013 at 19:41
You do not know her that well her kids had left school then!!

Reply Posted by Lisa hardie on Monday August 12 2013 at 04:09
But I know her don't I bob or whatever your name is

Reply Posted by Lisa hardie on Monday August 12 2013 at 08:40
And no bob the kids were in primary school then so u seriously don't know her at all

Reply Posted by Flapper on Monday August 12 2013 at 09:40
THEFT IS THEFT which part dont you understand,

Reply Posted by Bob on Monday August 12 2013 at 19:33
17and19year olds do not go to primary school, younger of the two born in 1976! I've known the family all my life and they are all lovely . I've never said what she did was in anyway right what I said was he without sin! And let me tell you none of them have lived a lavish lifestyle. FACT! !

Reply Posted by Lisa on Tuesday August 13 2013 at 01:00
Bob my auntie and uncle Brian god rest his sole and Anita and Trevor are lovely but you can't say our Denise is lovely because it is wrong what she has done and were not talking recent we're talking 17years ok so I believe you should stop now and maybe you have known them along time but obviously not as long as me and she has had a lavish lifestyle ok she has

Reply Posted by Bob on Tuesday August 13 2013 at 07:05
Time is a great healer hope this is true for you Lisa. It's a sorry state of affairs .

Reply Posted by P on Wednesday August 14 2013 at 20:22
360,000'with no lavish lifestyle. MY ARSE.

Reply Posted by Anon on Tuesday August 20 2013 at 01:42
I think you want to keep your mouth shut lisa. We.ve all got a passed ant we kettle and black spring to mind. Remember wilkinsons

Reply Posted by Anon on Wednesday August 21 2013 at 10:37
Couldn't av put it beta . She's duin her time m let's nig forgot why muni needed hiding in first place. Greed greed greed

Reply Posted by Bob on Thursday August 22 2013 at 18:09
Like I said he without sin Lisa maybe the word scum was a bit strong coming from someone like you. Interesting very interesting

Reply Posted by Anon on Friday August 23 2013 at 08:37
I hardly think getting a warning and she wasn't even at wilkinsons when her mum had cancer and her partner at the time committed suicide is the same as 17 years for 330.000 pounds over that amount of time and stealing money from an elderly woman with Alzheimer's is the same you dick wits

Reply Posted by Anon on Friday August 23 2013 at 09:04
Well said why bring up Lisa's past when the discussion is about a woman in authority that stole a very large amount of money from friends and family over years

Reply Posted by Claire on Friday August 23 2013 at 09:10
I know Lisa I've known her years and she's a lovely person who would do anything for anyone and I know she has struggled to bring up her 2 kids on her own for years and I know she has struggled with her home that she had so leave her alone bringing up stuff that's not even about the headlines above and is not as bad has what that woman has done

Reply Posted by Bob on Friday August 23 2013 at 20:20
There is a lot more to this story than meets the eye and some people reading this will know what I'm talking about,so all I ask is for people not to be too harsh on who I know and believe to be a nice caring person I'm not saying I condone any of what is printed in the story I know first hand the impact this is having on all of her close family members and if my views offend anyone I am sorry.

Reply Posted by Claire on Friday August 23 2013 at 20:57
You sound like a church man bob, but alas like many a church person your quick to judge Lisa about her past when you don't even know her heh not very nice really when she is quite clearly commenting on the headlines that are quite clearly personal towards her circumstances regarding the lady that has been jailed just saying he without sin should also not

Reply Posted by Bob on Saturday August 24 2013 at 12:21
I do believe and forgive me if I am wrong but it was me asking people not to judge with my first comment . Please read your last comment and try to see the irony of your words(does everyone making comments on Denise know her and know the whole truth, I think not!)

Reply Posted by tracy holland on Monday December 9 2013 at 19:44
Denise is my cousin what lisa wrought I agree I luv my cos were all shocked blood s thicker than water hope she copes in prison

Reply Posted by Sarah on Friday January 10 2014 at 15:12
I know denise and worked with her for many many years. This is very shocking and not a reflection of the woman I knew. BUT she pleaded guilty and is now doing her time it's hard to comprehend why she did this she always came across as a loyal diligent worker and manager but it's clear she was a very conniving liar who lied to family friends and colleagues over a very very long period of time. She obviously got away with it the first time and it snowballed I understand she may not have lived a lavish lifestyle but I do know she owned parts of pubs and caravan parks and went on cruises and she did a good job of hiding these assets to ensure they wouldn't be seized. My heart goes out to her family in particular those who she stole from she was very popular well liked and trusted by many and so this deception really hits hard. I would never have thought this of her in a million years but I guess you don't always know everyone as well as you think you do. She may have lost 4 years of freedom and she will never be able to work in banking again but mostly losing the trust of your nearsest and dearest must be a massive punishment and that will follow her for the rest of her life.

Reply Posted by Anon on Friday January 10 2014 at 15:39
I worked with her too and she was a very popular colleague although developed a deep trust within her staff so much do they would never question her actions and perhaps carry out transactions on her behalf. She was always very disorganised at work and came over as a bit scatty at time the enormity of her lies over the years was clearly consuming her she was stressed and out of control. There was alit more money stolen but wasn't enough evidence to link it to denise it was nearer a million pounds but she did a good job of covering her tracks only a good liar can do that feel sorry for all those who were victims

Reply Posted by dana on Monday March 3 2014 at 12:14
to say she didnt live a lavish lifestyle is a joke what about the 6 bedroomed she owns in skegness she has probaly put in her husband or sons name she is disgusting and anyone who defends her is has bad has her

Reply Posted by dana on Wednesday March 19 2014 at 06:33
fuming after reading them comments from bob how can you see the good in someone when she not only stole from the bank but from alzheimer sufferer and if thats not enough she made up bank accounts in other folks name its disgusting that you stand by her ive hit hard times a lot in my life but even i woulnt stoop to what she did and she did have a lavish lifestyle brand new cars caravans a house in skegness what nobody seems to know about dont care how lovely she was supposed to have been what she did was the lowest of the low instead of reaping sympathy on her think of her poor victims

Reply Posted by ange on Monday April 17 2017 at 16:38
out now footloose and fancy free makes me sick no idea about the amount of hurt she caused people simply disgusting to do what she did how she sleeps of a night is beyond me